Re: Obscure Cards with Latent Potential

hunting grounds

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by Uly Van Hammer View Post
    Didgeridoo
    Someday... Wotc will make a minotaur block, and I will laugh deviously screaming "ITOLDYOUSO!!!!" to everyone.
    Well, it does work with Lorwyn block shapeshifters.

Graphics are in my mind.
    Dec 2006

I have tried decks featuring many of these guys:

Panoptic Mirror
    Mishra,Artificer Prodigy
    Zur the Enchanter
    Nomad Mythmaker
    Ice Cauldron
    Hecatomb
    Teferi's Puzzlebox

and none of them have panned out. Fundamentally Stasis is also quite strong, but lacks enough cards that are both enablers and wincons. The closest I got to playable used artifact mana with Garruk and Tezzeret 1.0.
    Red Wizard needs food badly!

STARE AT AN ORPHAN ITS ENTIRE LIFE
    May 2008

I saw a really interesting bant control deck that used enlightened tutor and energy field+wheel of sun and moon

It seemed like it had some potential.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Transmute Artifact
    Copy Artifact
    Seeds of Innocence

...for starters. Transmute Artifact was $10 a few weeks ago. It is $20 now. There were very few of them printed. I have been telling people on this site to get them. It is cheaper than modern alternatives for what it does and it is a SEARCH card just waiting to be abused. Get them now or wish you had. Do Not Say I Did Not Warn You.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

I'm tired of suspending Greater Gargadon and sacrificing Veteran Explorer, False Prophet, Academy Rector, Mindslicer, or pretty much anything equipped with Deathrender to it, apart from recurring things like Grave-Shell Scarab with Savra, Queen of the Golgari in play. Too bad that with the ban of Survival most of the black-based fun is lost. Now it's time for me to push Green Sun's Zenith to its limits, but that's another story.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by android View Post
    How about Energy Field + Leyline of the Void + Leyline of Sanctity? You'd have to protect the leylines and drawing leylines later seems really bad.
    Samurai of the Pale Curtain works at least for permanents. However, you can't use spell-based proctection in that case and more something like Mother of Runes.

Apr 2007
    São Paulo - Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    Artificer's Intuition only waits for an Artifact Squee.
    Artificer's Intuition only waits a 1 mana or less Artifact Vengevine.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Energy Field works just fine with Wheel of Sun and Moon btw.

I'm still waiting for people to catch onto Phyrexian Crusader. My god this guy is a beating. It's just too bad there's not much good infect stuff besides him. Throw a sword on him like the Body and Mind one and he just can't be stopped. There has to be a deck that can use that. It's flat unstoppable for most Legacy decks.

Transmute Artifact is one that I thought would eventually explode. It's one of the best tutors in the format now, especially due to the errata that changed the old sacrifice cost to be on resolution.

Aegis of Honor is another card I still use that has never got any fame. Best card ever for preventing Price of Progress or other extreme burn from hitting you.

Drop of Honey is stupid good vs Goblins, Merfolk, and Zoo. I proved that in Columbus. It's not bad against New Horizons and such either. I may not have done decent overall, but I sure beat the crap out of those decks when I hit them. Expensive and rare as hell is it's only problem.

Aura Fracture This one is a staple in any control build I have. I tend to make my control decks land heavy so it's always been perfect for the "Disenchant" slot I always have in a deck. Try it, it's golden vs anything with a bunch of enchantments.

Koth of the Hammer - You'd think that in Legacy we could make better use of a guy who can turn into a Hecatomb effect. Hecatomb was stupid good in it's day despite it's hideous cost. This guy should be seeing play just for that ability. Smashing lands into people or even just untapping them to re-use them seems pretty decent.

Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas This guy WILL make it into Legacy. You can trust me on that.

Explore You'd think that with all the conversations about tempo, we'd use this more. It's pretty good at that whole tempo game. I picked up a set of foils of it lately since I am convinced there's a use for it. I saw a 3 color high tide deck using it lately no less.

Pyromancer Ascension This is on the edge of being a hell of a deck. Gerry T already was playing around with it. It's not going to take much to push it over the top. Anything that can run a ton of burn and counters and beat the hell out of a control deck should be examined heavily in Legacy.

Land Equilibrium I've tried so hard to break this card. Personally, I don't think it can be done, but it sure sounds like you should be able to. Maybe someday, someone will do it.

Telekinesis Another tempo style card. If you play standard, you know how devastating a Tumble Magnet can be. This is the Legacy version. It might actually be worth it. Very close to being extremely good.

Um is there a reason I can only view the first page?

Quote Originally Posted by android View Post
    How about Energy Field + Leyline of the Void + Leyline of Sanctity? You'd have to protect the leylines and drawing leylines later seems really bad.
    How about instead of the Leylines, Wheel of Sun and Moon on yourself? If if someone where to say vindicate one of your lands, it would go to the bottom of your library instead of graveyard.

Meat Slicer at Deli

Mar 2004
    Ypsi, MI

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    I was thinking that pitching 4 Sword of the Meek to search 4 Memnite means 4 2/3 Memnites for UUUU. That's fun.
    Then you play the new Tezzeret and win?
    Whenever I see a kid in a wheelchair it makes me a little sad. Because I always think, "Gee, they could have used those same wheels to make a bike for a regular kid. What a waste."

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    I always thought Damping Matrix would be a good card.

Thousand-Year Elixir seemed always interesting in a Goblin Welder deck.
    Artificer's Intuition only waits for an Artifact Squee.

And what about old Standard staples like Heartbeat of Spring?

Oh, and what about Leonin Arbiter? When this card was spoiled, people were super excited, "it hoses the entire format", they said... but I didn't really see it.
    Artificer's Intuition seems like a card that's actually already broken, we just don't know how yet.

Heartbeat of Spring is like Howling Mine; your opponent untaps and uses it before you do. Therefore, meh.

Leonin Arbiter, I always figured doesn't get played because its effect is symmetrical, meaning you'd never want to play it with Stoneforge Mystic. Being a White Weenie and not having synergy with SFM is kind of a terrible idea right now.

Artificer's Intution can work with Salvage Titan which isn't tutorable, but can be recycled multiple times per turn.

Thought Lash can be potent with top powered cards like Magus of the Future,Future Sight, and Skill Borrower (+Mirror of Fate?).

Gamble and -to a lesser degree- Wild Reasearch seem like they have potential.

Greater Good does have a pretty big casting cost, but the ability is potent. WotC recently printed Pact of the Titan and Briarhorn - both of which look pretty potent in combination with it, though Phyrexian Dreadnaught is the card that really breaks it.

The hideaway lands are laden with potential.

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

Didgeridoo... You could put a really big changeling into play with that I guess. What's the biggest Changeling?
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Uly Van Hammer View Post
    Didgeridoo
    Someday... Wotc will make a minotaur block, and I will laugh deviously screaming "ITOLDYOUSO!!!!" to everyone.
    While we other players will stick with Aether Vial ;-)
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

I think "desolation" is a very understimate card

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

My vote goes to Maralen of the Mornsong / Aether Vial or anything that gets her out on an end step.

Sexy with Leonin Arbiter, sexy with Mindlock Orb, sexy with Shadow of Doubt despite the loss of the cantrip effect, really weird with Teferi's Veil, and amazing against so many decks.

Yet still missing the key component to break her.

EDIT: Although with Karakas, this could get stupid. Then you can bounce Maralen after locking them, get your draw, re-Vial Maralen, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Food chain. Without a doubt. It was broken once, it will be again.

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

Defense of the Heart - I think this could assplode if you used it with Forbidden Orchard & something else to give them critters. It's like a cheaper Tooth and Nail.

Along the same lines, a hugely overlooked card: Victimize - seriously, why doesn't this card see play?

Thread Information