Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Obscure Cards with Latent Potential

Re: Obscure Cards with Latent Potential

Pride of the Clouds. It's quite good, but unfortunately not quite good enough with the current cardpool. I have a deck that tries to make good use of it (an updated UW Pride Parade), and it's decent, but not quite as good as it needs to be to compete. What's missing? I dunno--probably a flying equivalent of Wild Nacatl, either for one mana (growing to 3/3) or zero (growing to 2/2).

Also, Gilded Drake is pretty damn fantastic (especially with Jace TMS kicking around--it's basically removal for MUC, except that MUC neither wants nor needs 'The Drake'), but doesn't quite have a home. It works extremely well in my Pride Parade deck, but I don't think I quite manage to maximize its potential.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    My vote goes to Maralen of the Mornsong / Aether Vial or anything that gets her out on an end step.

Sexy with Leonin Arbiter, sexy with Mindlock Orb, sexy with Shadow of Doubt despite the loss of the cantrip effect, really weird with Teferi's Veil, and amazing against so many decks.

Yet still missing the key component to break her.

EDIT: Although with Karakas, this could get stupid. Then you can bounce Maralen after locking them, get your draw, re-Vial Maralen, repeat.
    You could also throw in Mindlock Orb. Best thing about it is that Maralen actually tutors for it. Assuming your opponent is behind in life and can't race you, he's basically screwed due to life loss eventually.

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Slow Motion. Blue stax was the first deck i ever tried to build in legacy and by george I'm going to find something that enables it one day. Until then this will continue to be enticing recurring spot removal in blue that adds up with Tabernacle and Propaganda.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Oh yeah, almost forgot about these two "Snow" gems.

Winter's Chill - This one I have always liked as it's a MUC type card that can surprise someone easily. It's quite good against Goblins as they like to tap out before attacking.

Glacial Crevasses Sac a land to Fog every turn? There's got to be a use for this thing. Crucible alone is a soft lock. It's in red of all colors though. I will put a use to that card one of these days, that's too easy.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    You could also throw in Mindlock Orb. Best thing about it is that Maralen actually tutors for it. Assuming your opponent is behind in life and can't race you, he's basically screwed due to life loss eventually.
    You do realize that the second card I named was Mindlock Orb, right?

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Blood Funnel. Tried to make something with it but failed. I did hear of someone making with the purpose of using Blood Funnel to churn out a fast Biorhythm.

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

Psychic Venom and Shared Fate are my obscure cards with potential... and already put into practice in my blue EDH/HL deck.

I was wondering when I have seen first Zendikon.

Even now on Gatherer are only comments like "Wind zendikon is good. 2/2 with flying in first turn". The best comment was "imagine this on a Fetch land". That was good point. However there are much funnier ways how to misuse an animated land.

Just Say... Tolarian Academy or lotus vale with Pemmins aura on it :D

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

I remember testing Zendikon as a replacement for Goose in Ugr Tempo Thresh. Recurring Wastelands and allowing for Firespout maindeck was pretty sweet and all, but somehow it was never enough of a standalone threat to justify. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    Glacial Crevasses Sac a land to Fog every turn? There's got to be a use for this thing. Crucible alone is a soft lock. It's in red of all colors though. I will put a use to that card one of these days, that's too easy.
    I have a funny RG deck with this actually.
    It uses Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle as win condition.
    It includes Crucible/Loam, Zuran orb and Exploration (and some other "play additional land" effects) + mox diamond.
    Just make sure you have the required amount of mountains in play + valakut and keep playing and saccing lands.

Zuran orb, Glacial Crevasses and maze of ith/constant mists should keep agro in check or lock them completely.
    Krosan Grip should kill every problem card and a bolt/plow should take care of magus of the moon and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Goaswerfraiejen View Post
    Pride of the Clouds. It's quite good, but unfortunately not quite good enough with the current cardpool. I have a deck that tries to make good use of it (an updated UW Pride Parade), and it's decent, but not quite as good as it needs to be to compete. What's missing? I dunno--probably a flying equivalent of Wild Nacatl, either for one mana (growing to 3/3) or zero (growing to 2/2).

Also, Gilded Drake is pretty damn fantastic (especially with Jace TMS kicking around--it's basically removal for MUC, except that MUC neither wants nor needs 'The Drake'), but doesn't quite have a home. It works extremely well in my Pride Parade deck, but I don't think I quite manage to maximize its potential.
    Yeah, I really think Pride of the Clouds is waiting to be broken in some Faestill list or Hawks port. If it was UB instead of UW or it's Forecast was three mana, it would see play, I think.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

As a Quinn player, I would say Scrying Sheets. Its like Library of Alexandria.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Replenish: There has to be a stronger home for it than Enchantress. I mean seriously.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    Blood Funnel. Tried to make something with it but failed. I did hear of someone making with the purpose of using Blood Funnel to churn out a fast Biorhythm.
    how about blood funnel and donate

turn 1 mana elf --> turn 2 funnel and donate, sac the elf... opponent can't play spells with out saccing creatures...sounds decent...insta win against combo?

Apr 2007
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    how about blood funnel and donate

turn 1 mana elf --> turn 2 funnel and donate, sac the elf... opponent can't play spells with out saccing creatures...sounds decent...insta win against combo?
    "Whenever you play", in other words it doesn't affect opponents. If it were to find a home it would be in some sort of combo deck that wants to chain spells. Not sure what the draw engine would be though.
    "Don't let your mind wander - it might not come back." -Braids, dementia summoner

Sep 2010
    MNL

Yup but when you donate it, doesn't the you pertain to the current owner of the card which is your opponent?

Jan 2011
    providence, rhode island

Quote Originally Posted by Grollub View Post
    Replenish: There has to be a stronger home for it than Enchantress. I mean seriously.
    there is! u/w with opalesence amd attunments. the deck was sick back in the day! blue control replenish off everything u pitch with attunment and opalesence to turn high cmc enchantments into dudes. wordship in there for protection agaimst dudes was a fun deck back in the day

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatzman View Post
    "Whenever you play", in other words it doesn't affect opponents. If it were to find a home it would be in some sort of combo deck that wants to chain spells. Not sure what the draw engine would be though.
    You = the controller fyi

Quote Originally Posted by warallthetimne View Post
    there is! u/w with opalesence amd attunments. the deck was sick back in the day! blue control replenish off everything u pitch with attunment and opalesence to turn high cmc enchantments into dudes. wordship in there for protection agaimst dudes was a fun deck back in the day
    Exactly! It was so stupidly busted.

I think I attempt building a viable replenish deck every new set that arrives, but always fail - it's always lacking the last little bit of oomph. The card is so hideously strong that there has to be a tier 1 deck for it. WotC give me something please.

Some other cards:
    Stormbind
    Ceta Sanctuary

Aritificer's intuition + Salvage titan?
    Also flood seems ridiculous

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

I think at some point something will be printed that breaks Mitotic Manipulation. Also kind of cool, it can put land directly into play untaped, something blue can't normally do. It's certainly not broken now but I can't imagine it will always stay that way.

Thread Information