Thread: "Choose" effects with Thoughtseize

Sep 2010
    Chapel Hill, NC

"Choose" effects with Thoughtseize

Thoughtseize instructs the caster, "you choose a nonland card" from the targeted players hand. It doesn't say "you may choose."

Does this mean that the caster must choose a card from the targeted player's hand if there is a legal choice? Further, if Thoughtseize gets hit by Misdirection targeting the caster instead, must the caster then choose a card from his/her own hand if there is a legal choice?

Sorry if this is obvious--I just want to be clear. Thanks.

Pat

Re: "Choose" effects with Thoughtseize

Quote Originally Posted by JustPAT4 View Post
    Thoughtseize instructs the caster, "you choose a nonland card" from the targeted players hand. It doesn't say "you may choose."

Does this mean that the caster must choose a card from the targeted player's hand if there is a legal choice? Further, if Thoughtseize gets hit by Misdirection targeting the caster instead, must the caster then choose a card from his/her own hand if there is a legal choice?

Sorry if this is obvious--I just want to be clear. Thanks.

Pat
    Yes, and yes.
    Suddenly, Fluffy realized she wasn't quite like the other bunnies anymore.

-Team R&D-
    -noitcelfeR maeT-

Re: "Choose" effects with Thoughtseize

A key with Misdirection and Thoughtsieze is that it says reveal and not look at - if an effect requires you to choose a card in a non-revealed hidden zone and has a restriction (like "nonland"), you don't have to choose anything.

Then again, I don't think they print discard spells with "look at" anymore.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information