Thread: Grindstone vs Emrakuls + Progenitus

Nov 2006
    London

Grindstone vs Emrakuls + Progenitus

If I have Painter in play and Grindstone my opponent who has 4 Emrakul and 2 Progenitus in his deck, what happens?

Do all the Emrakul triggers go on the stack, Pregenitus keep getting shuffled into the deck until they are the last 2 cards, creating an infinite loop and the Emrakul triggers never resolve and the game is a draw? Or do the Emrakul triggers stop the infinite loop created by the 2 Progenitus?

Re: Grindstone vs Emrakuls + Progenitus

The Grindstone trigger will never finish resolving once Progenitus are the last two cards, so Emrakul triggers will never even go on the stack. The game is a draw.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    The Grindstone trigger will never finish resolving once Progenitus are the last two cards, so Emrakul triggers will never even go on the stack. The game is a draw.
    Because Progenitus has a replacement effect, not triggered effect like Emrakul, right? So it only ends in a Draw if they have 2 Progenitus in their deck, since if it's only one card being revealed to Grindstone at the end Grindstone can't trigger again because there's not a matching color card to trigger its re-activation.

There have to be at least two cards with replacement-effect shuffles, yes.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Sep 2010
    LA

@ keys

Damn I guess I shouldn't have boarded out a Progenitus Against you LOL

Nov 2006
    London

Quote Originally Posted by COBBLER View Post
    @ keys

Damn I guess I shouldn't have boarded out a Progenitus Against you LOL
    Yeah I forgot about the Progenitus interaction... If you leave them both in I have no way to win outside of Painter/Welder beats, but then I can force the draw without needing to find a Crypt. I should've done that game one instead of scooping when the man plan didn't work out.

I think beating No Show with Painter's Stone will be a once in a lifetime achievement haha :)

Sep 2010
    LA

Yea! thats defently a wierd matchup well iam glad you got top 4 instead of us goin in a infee loop and drawing both ourselfs out of top 8 lol

Sep 2010
    Chapel Hill, NC

It would actually be tough to officially "draw" the match. Each time he activates grindstone the game disappears into an infinite loop of ridiculousness, then you scoop up and start again--it's as if the game never happened. You could play 7 games, draw 5 and win 2. It's recorded as 2-0.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPAT4 View Post
    It would actually be tough to officially "draw" the match. Each time he activates grindstone the game disappears into an infinite loop of ridiculousness, then you scoop up and start again--it's as if the game never happened. You could play 7 games, draw 5 and win 2. It's recorded as 2-0.
    He's talking about drawing the game, not the match. Also, it's recorded as 2-0-5 (which is worse for your tiebreakers than 2-0).
    Last edited by cdr; 03-22-2011 at 02:24 PM.
    -David DeLaney

Nov 2010
    Denmark

painter vs no show and tell

Lets say the first game is draw cus of the loop.
    When you are starting on game 2 who will start the game? and i have heard that there is only 3 games you can play in a single mach so its impossble to get like 5 draws in a single mach right?

Hope it makes sense sorry for my bad english..

Grymer <-

Quote Originally Posted by Grymer View Post
    painter vs no show and tell

Lets say the first game is draw cus of the loop.
    When you are starting on game 2 who will start the game? and i have heard that there is only 3 games you can play in a single mach so its impossble to get like 5 draws in a single mach right?

Hope it makes sense sorry for my bad english..

Grymer <-
    That's incorrect. You play until someone wins two games - you can have as many draws as you like, intentional or unintentional.

If a game is a draw, the person who decided play/draw in that game decides again for the next game.
    -David DeLaney

Nov 2010
    Denmark

thx :)

Thread Information