Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
Thank you!

I haven't gotten a chance to truly see Chandra in action. I picked up a non-foil copy for $26-28 (I forget exactly how much). I need 3 foil and 1 non-foil for various decks, but the price my LGS quoted was the lowest I'd heard, and I really wanted an opportunity to play with her. I believe she will continue to come down in price but there is a very realistic chance that a Standard deck will perform well with her as a 2-or-more-of, so right now I'm playing the game of 'see how low she goes' while risking the chance she'll explode in price on a Monday morning... I'll pull the trigger if I see foil copies at $45-50.

Chandra Nalaar was always my preferred version because she's so good at controlling the board after a boardwipe. I also liked that she has a significant ultimate that you can use right away if Doubling Season is out...

Chandra, Torch of Defiance looks like she will be an upgrade. She still ultimates right away with DS out, but the emblem she provides is more significant. Her -3 is rough on loyalty considering the effect, but you could argue it is more efficient than Nalaar's -X. Her biggest upsides are providing some semblance of card advantage, but mostly ramp-ramp-ramp! My favorite plays involve emptying a hand of planeswalkers onto the table in one turn. Like if I have 4 lands and a Sol Ring, I can cast Teferi, Temporal Archmage, untap 3 lands and Sol Ring, cast Chandra, add and play Saheeli Rai.

I don't think there is any questioning if she is good... but her Standard price hasn't bottomed out yet.
My deck is very different from yours - you're on the planeswalker plan whereas I'm essentially big red control. I think she's going to be fine in my list, even if it's sort of a bummer that you can't play lands off of her first +1. I don't think I'll ever realistically get to the emblem since I don't have Doubling Season or Chain Veil to mess around with...but her other abilities seem fine. Her ramp sort of reminds me of Koth, which I also run and make use of fairly regularly.

As for the price, I agree with you. Fortunately, I'm not in any huge rush to lay hands on a copy since it's not like I need to tune my EDH deck for a tournament or something...so if some standard deck does make her spike I'm content waiting on rotation. The dangerous thing is if she gets picked up for Modern or Legacy or something, like the 2 mana Jace did.