Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Thank you!

I haven't gotten a chance to truly see Chandra in action. I picked up a non-foil copy for $26-28 (I forget exactly how much). I need 3 foil and 1 non-foil for various decks, but the price my LGS quoted was the lowest I'd heard, and I really wanted an opportunity to play with her. I believe she will continue to come down in price but there is a very realistic chance that a Standard deck will perform well with her as a 2-or-more-of, so right now I'm playing the game of 'see how low she goes' while risking the chance she'll explode in price on a Monday morning... I'll pull the trigger if I see foil copies at $45-50.

Chandra Nalaar was always my preferred version because she's so good at controlling the board after a boardwipe. I also liked that she has a significant ultimate that you can use right away if Doubling Season is out...

Chandra, Torch of Defiance looks like she will be an upgrade. She still ultimates right away with DS out, but the emblem she provides is more significant. Her -3 is rough on loyalty considering the effect, but you could argue it is more efficient than Nalaar's -X. Her biggest upsides are providing some semblance of card advantage, but mostly ramp-ramp-ramp! My favorite plays involve emptying a hand of planeswalkers onto the table in one turn. Like if I have 4 lands and a Sol Ring, I can cast Teferi, Temporal Archmage, untap 3 lands and Sol Ring, cast Chandra, add and play Saheeli Rai.

I don't think there is any questioning if she is good... but her Standard price hasn't bottomed out yet.
    My deck is very different from yours - you're on the planeswalker plan whereas I'm essentially big red control. I think she's going to be fine in my list, even if it's sort of a bummer that you can't play lands off of her first +1. I don't think I'll ever realistically get to the emblem since I don't have Doubling Season or Chain Veil to mess around with...but her other abilities seem fine. Her ramp sort of reminds me of Koth, which I also run and make use of fairly regularly.

As for the price, I agree with you. Fortunately, I'm not in any huge rush to lay hands on a copy since it's not like I need to tune my EDH deck for a tournament or something...so if some standard deck does make her spike I'm content waiting on rotation. The dangerous thing is if she gets picked up for Modern or Legacy or something, like the 2 mana Jace did.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Picked up 4 foils for the deck!

As more cards get printed, the deck moves further away from 5-color 'good stuff' with planeswalkers towards a deck dedicated to fully exploiting planeswalkers.
    I worked to replace every creature in the deck with planeswalkers, but WotC looooves creatures and printed one that I cannot reasonably exclude...

C16 update:

+ Deepglow Skate
    - Maelstrom Nexus

The Skate is just too good, and synergizes with the abilities of:

Anecdotally, I stumbled across some silly synergy between Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Sorin, Grim Nemesis, and Ugin, the Spirit Dragon/Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Using Jace to get Ugin/Bolas on top of my library, I can drain 8 life from each opponent with Sorin every turn while getting +2 cards.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 08-11-2017 at 09:28 PM.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Did you consider Atraxa, Praetor's Voice at all? Everyone and their brother seems to be on the Atraxa super friends bandwagon, but maybe the effect is less powerful when she's just part of the 99? She also has a lot of relevant keywords for attacking/blocking, which doesn't really fit your overall plan but isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Deepglow Skate does seem particularly insane in here.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    Did you consider Atraxa, Praetors' Voice at all?
    I definitely did! Her text box is a wall of relevant keywords and I haven't completely ruled her out...

Ideally WotC would have made Atraxa 5 color. Then I'd be hard pressed to justify continuing to use Cromat over a General taylor-made for Superfriends.
    As printed, she would just be 1 of 99. She is hyper efficient in terms of mana-investment, getting a point of P/T and a keyword ability per mana, with a proliferate trigger tacked on for grins. But instant-speed removal (which admittedly isn't all that common) on her would keep me from ever seeing a benefit; unlike Skate which triggers on EtB.

The proliferate trigger at BoES is also frustrating because getting the trigger with a main phase available lets you immediately capitalize on higher loyalty abilities. Since my deck is pretty hostile towards creatures I decided not to include her yet. But I have my eye on her.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

The proliferate trigger at BoES is also frustrating because getting the trigger with a main phase available lets you immediately capitalize on higher loyalty abilities. Since my deck is pretty hostile towards creatures I decided not to include her yet. But I have my eye on her.
    I suppose you could go off the deep end and run Savor the Moment to capitalize on it (or Time Stretch if we're being serious )? Doesn't really solve the long term problem of EOT triggers in a deck that essentially operates at sorcery speed, though. Your other option is a Teferi emblem, though I suppose if you've pulled that off Atraxa is probably a little win-more.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Aether Revolt update!

+ Heart of Kiran
    + Ajani Unyielding

- Oath of Jace
    - Ajani Vengeant

Heart of Kiran is pretty badass. Vigilance and flying means you can be really aggressive with it. It also plays well with the board wipe strategy the deck has going. Opponents are given a difficult task of determining which permanent needs to be answered; the vehicle dealing 4 damage a turn, or the planeswalker giving me incremental advantage while fueling the vehicle.
    New Ajani hasn't been tried out yet, but I just ordered a foil one and had intended to swap him for Vengeant since he was spoiled. Wasn't going to pay the pre-order price for him though...

Space is getting really tight now.
    I could see parting with Dig Through Time and Commander's Sphere, although I am not enthusiastic about dropping a mana rock. DTT has been a bit underwhelming lately. My graveyard doesn't really fill up until the later stages of a game, so it is conditionally fantastic but sits dead in my hand a lot.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Heart of Kiran is pretty badass.
    Seems perfect for the deck. Attacks and blocks like a champ, dodges wraths and sorcery speed removal...what's not to like?

New Ajani hasn't been tried out yet, but I just ordered a foil one and had intended to swap him for Vengeant since he was spoiled. Wasn't going to pay the pre-order price for him though...
    Sad to see Ajani Vengeant go. For whatever reason I like that card a lot and never get to play with it since Boros is so meh in this format. That said, it does seem like new Ajani is potentially better for you.

Have you given any thought to Nissa, Vital Force at all? Her +1 is sort of meh, but the -3 and the emblem aren't awful for you.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Sad to see Ajani Vengeant go. For whatever reason I like that card a lot and never get to play with it since Boros is so meh in this format. That said, it does seem like new Ajani is potentially better for you.
    Yeah, I am also sad to see Ajani go.
    He's been in the deck pretty much since it's creation. Worse still, I only bought the pack foil a year or two ago after convincing myself early on that the promo art was better (it's not). I'll hang on to him for a little while. It's a shame Goldmane is better suited for my Tajic deck...

I actually found a sheet of paper from 2009ish that detailed an extremely early build of Cromat and will post the decklist for giggles.

Have you given any thought to Nissa, Vital Force at all? Her +1 is sort of meh, but the -3 and the emblem aren't awful for you.
    I have! And actually her +1 is what is most appealing in this deck because a 5/5 that sticks around until my next turn is pretty awesome protection. The -3 is pretty meh because most of the spells that I want to return to my hand are the boardwipes. Obviously her emblem and the ability to make it when you untap with her are what makes her most appealing.
    Nissa, Voice of Zendikar isn't significantly better here because her -2 is pretty much unused text... But costing 3 mana is huge.

Looking at Vital Force again, I think I need to give her a shot in Mimeoplasm. In there I run Loam and 9 fetchlands, so I can exploit the emblem. And the -3 is really good in a deck that dumps it's library into the graveyard. That and I'm really dissatisfied with Kiora, Master of the Depths.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Ahhhhh... memories.
    Nice list! It's actually not that bad as first attempts go. There's a couple of odd choices in there, but overall it seems like it would still fare pretty well in lots of EDH groups.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Okay, pimp update!

I sold a Modern deck and anything else of value I'm not using to SCG. I intended to use the proceeds to properly finish my mana-base, but MM17 just announced the ZEN fetchlands will be included. So now I feel obligated to wait on that Scalding Tarn I need until the price drops.

The rest of the mana-base purchases are just upgrading Breeding Pool, Stomping Ground, Blood Crypt, and Overgrown Tomb from Return foils to Original Ravnica foils. Since I'm waiting on Scalding Tarn, I will likely upgrade my FtV Sensei's Divining Top to an original pack-foil.

Then as MM17 gets opened up, I'll trade my old top and shocks for the Scalding Tarn I need.

That will leave me with just Kaya, Ghost Assassin, Dack Fayden, and Demonic Tutor left to foil!
    I'm content getting an MM Dack, and I'd like to upgrade my FtV Jace to an MM foil copy. I'm going to wait on Demonic Tutor until they reprint it in a future 'money-grab' set, hopefully with the Liliana-and-a-demon art!

I never thought I'd get this far along...

Dig Through Time is 'to-be-cut' for a future PW printing.
    Possibly Commander's Sphere too, but it will be harder to part with that...
    Lumbering Falls and (possibly) Stirring Wildwood aren't going anywhere yet, but they are the weakest lands and would be first to go if something better comes along.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Finally picked up the ZEN foil Scalding Tarn!
    Only non-foil cards in the deck (that have foil printings) are Kaya, Ghost Assassin, Dack Fayden, and Demonic Tutor.

Amonkhet updates:

- Dig Through Time
    - Commander's Sphere

+ Djeru, With Eyes Open
    + Samut, the Tested

I'm amused at how hard I worked to remove all creatures from the deck, only for WotC to print some of the most amazing planeswalker support in creature form... And both have EtB effects to be abused by the walkers that bounce, blink, or copy creatures.

Ok 2 cards to consider!

Treasure Map is simply amazing. Fixes draws and mana.

Honor-Worn Shaku With the new pw rules you can tap them for c. Not too powerful but its kinda fun to tap a pw.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Ok 2 cards to consider!

Treasure Map is simply amazing. Fixes draws and mana.

Honor-Worn Shaku With the new pw rules you can tap them for c. Not too powerful but its kinda fun to tap a pw.
    Hah! Shaku is cute, the Legendary/Planeswalker change probably has a few hidden gems waiting to be discovered. If it made mana of any color, I'd be tempted to try it but for , colorless mana isn't good enough. You've reminded me to do a gatherer search for 'legendary' though.

Treasure Map is hard to evaluate. It's an investment of over 3 turns. In that time you filter once each turn. Then the reward is 3 Lotus Petals that can potentially be cracked one-per-turn for an extra draw. I wouldn't count Map towards the land total because you can't rely on it as such until you've invested 3 turns... Which non-land card do you think it should replace?

Hah! Shaku is cute, the Legendary/Planeswalker change probably has a few hidden gems waiting to be discovered. If it made mana of any color, I'd be tempted to try it but for , colorless mana isn't good enough. You've reminded me to do a gatherer search for 'legendary' though.

Treasure Map is hard to evaluate. It's an investment of over 3 turns. In that time you filter once each turn. Then the reward is 3 Lotus Petals that can potentially be cracked one-per-turn for an extra draw. I wouldn't count Map towards the land total because you can't rely on it as such until you've invested 3 turns... Which non-land card do you think it should replace?
    Sisay can now tutor a pw every turn. But i guess hes to fragil without haste or shroud.

Idk I cut mana crypt for it. Kinda hate the card. Like its ok if you start with a map you can durdle some turns. If you open with crypt everyone hates you. You are right its hard to evaluate - best is just try it out.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

WotC seemingly had EDH in mind while designing Battlebond. There are a lot of interesting cards in the set, and a lot of good EDH reprints!

I'm not sold on the Battlebond lands just yet... I very much want to replace Lumbering Falls and kinda-sorta want to replace Stirring Wildwood. The new lands allow for the possibility of coming into play untapped, and I think they were very well designed cards. BUT if I'm playing someone 1v1 in EDH, it is usually more cutthroat and in that specific situation the Battlebond lands come in tapped.
    Jury is still out here.

Arena Rector is something that pretty much has to go into this deck. I reeeally don't want to afford a foil copy, but I think that'll need to happen. I feel really comfortable cutting Nevinyrral's Disk to fit in the Rector.

My main uncertainty involves Rowan Kenrith... She's just really not good enough at 6 mana. However her brother, Will Kenrith is an amazing card. I will be cutting Dovin Baan to fit in Will. The issue I face is that part of Will's text reads [when you resolve this card, search your library for Rowan and put her into your hand]. Similarly, Rowan will tutor out Will; that's actually the most powerful thing she does. At this time I simply cannot justify cutting another card to make room for Rowan, which means I'm giving up some of Will's power (which feels really bad to do).

May 2011
    Albany, NY

My main uncertainty involves Rowan Kenrith... She's just really not good enough at 6 mana. However her brother, Will Kenrith is an amazing card. I will be cutting Dovin Baan to fit in Will. The issue I face is that part of Will's text reads [when you resolve this card, search your library for Rowan and put her into your hand]. Similarly, Rowan will tutor out Will; that's actually the most powerful thing she does. At this time I simply cannot justify cutting another card to make room for Rowan, which means I'm giving up some of Will's power (which feels really bad to do).
    Are you really giving up any power, though? To put it another way, is Will good enough that running Rowan simply to fetch him out is worth it? If he is, then maybe Call the Gatewatch deserves another look since it's potentially much more useful and already didn't make the cut...or any of the other black tutor effects you're not currently running.

I don't think I'd want to fetch out a (mostly) dead card simply because I could, especially if there's basically no real situation where I'd want to draw it on its own.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I've decided to replace Dovin Baan with Will Kenrith, but haven't found a foil copy yet...
    Rumors are that Kaya will be an Orzhov planeswalker in the January set, so I'll be anxiously waiting to see if her new iteration is something this deck will want.
    Neither of the [GRN] planeswalkers are better than the versions currently in this deck. I honestly doubt if the set will have anything in it for Cromat.

I've picked up a foil Arena Rector! I also decided Nev Disk entering tapped was enough of a downside to replace it. So:

+ Arena Rector
    - Heart of Kiran
    + Cleansing Nova
    - Nevinyrral's Disk

I've also been testing Search for Azcanta in place of Sylvan Library. I've been happy with the swap. Pretty sure I'll be making a permanent change.

I stole a game last night by assembling Teferi, Temporal Archmage and The Chain Veil. Teferi let me 'mini-combo' so walkers would get 5 activations (original, plus 4 Chain Veil). My last usage of Teferi [+1] found Samut, the Tested. She found Ugin, the Spirit Dragon and Tezzeret the Seeker. Tez + Teferi established infinite Chain Veil activations and that let Ugin bolt everyone to death!

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Will arrived!!

+ Will Kenrith
    - Dovin Baan
    + Search for Azcanta
    - Sylvan Library

With the upcoming release of [GRN], specifically the printing of Assassin's Trophy, I think it is time for me to reconsider my 'no basics' position... I've been wanting to cut Lumbering Falls pretty much since I added it so I think swapping for Island makes sense. What I need to consider if how deep I want to take this, and whether I also want to replace Stirring Wildwood with Plains.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

With the upcoming release of [GRN], specifically the printing of Assassin's Trophy, I think it is time for me to reconsider my 'no basics' position... I've been wanting to cut Lumbering Falls pretty much since I added it so I think swapping for Island makes sense. What I need to consider if how deep I want to take this, and whether I also want to replace Stirring Wildwood with Plains.
    Do you even care about the "find a basic" part of Assassin's Trophy? I guess it's free "value" you're giving up in the event that it's pointed your way, but is the consolation prize of a basic land some of the time worth giving up the potential fixing of even a mediocre dual all of the time?

That said, if this were my mana base I'd be too chicken not to run one of every basic (except probably Mountain) because Blood Moon is a card and not being able to play magic sucks.

Also, while blue and white seem to be your primary colors as it were, is Swamp a consideration instead of Plains? Maybe this is crazy, but Swamp turns on your tutors, which gets you your Chromatic Lantern around a Blood Moon, or whatever else you might want following one of your walkers becoming a trophy. Forest also has random upside with Skyshroud Claim...but otherwise doesn't look to be better than Plains or Swamp.

Thread Information