Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
Do you even care about the "find a basic" part of Assassin's Trophy?
Getting *some* value out of an Ass Trophy pointed at my permanent reduces the feel-bads. I can definitely spare 1 slot, but committing to a second is harder to say with certainty at this point. Island feels like the best option when looking at the mana requirements of the deck and assuming no Blood Moon effects on the table...

I suspect Trophy will be a highly played card, at least initially. And given that it can target anything, and that planeswalkers are harder to remove than other permanents, I expect many of those Trophies will target my walkers the turn before they ultimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
Is Swamp a consideration instead of Plains?
Great point!

Currently my colorless answers to Blood Moon are:

- Chromatic Lantern
- Coalition Relic
- Karn Liberated
- Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Assuming a basic Island on the field, the cards I can still play would be:

- Cyclonic Rift (also an answer!)
- Saheeli Rai
- Dack Fayden
- Ral Zarek
- Deepglow Skate
- Search for Azcanta (which would become a Mountain when transformed )

None of those other than Rift get me out of a Blood Moon lock...

Answers with a Plains:

- Nahiri, the Harbinger

Theoretically Arena Rector could find me an answer, but she'd have to hit my graveyard (preferably on my turn when I could immediately use the walker she found).

Answers with a Swamp:

- Demonic Tutor
- Vampiric Tutor

They are answers in the sense that they find me an answer. If the Moon effect is from Magus of the Moon, then Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast and Toxic Deluge also work. Although Chandra, Torch of Defiance would be an answer too...

I guess for completion's sake...

Answers with a Forest:

Well I guess there really aren't any. Again assuming the lock is from Magus, Samut, the Tested can kill it. And I suppose Xenagos, the Reveler can keep me in green mana (which we've established doesn't do me any good).

--------------------------------

Okay, so what have I learned...

Island is the most individually useful basic land I can include, but it doesn't do me a ton of good if the rest of my lands are Mountains.
Swamp is the most useful land if everything else is a Mountain, but isn't hugely helpful otherwise.
Under a Blood Moon, Plains is borderline useless unless I have 2; and Forest is pretty useless even if I have a million.

I'm going to test an Island for a little while. And assuming it doesn't cause problems I will move on to testing a Swamp. Fortunately for me, Blood Moon / Magus of the Moon are not widely played in my area.