Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eli Kassis - Tournament Report From SCG's NJ

Jul 2007
    syracuse

Eli Kassis - Tournament Report From SCG's NJ

http://thestarkingtonpost.com/articl...n_Edison_*2nd*

I hope this is not against the rules to post links, if it is I apologize.

May 2007
    Czech Rep.

Re: Eli Kassis - Tournament Report From SCG's NJ

Congrats on your finish.

I was watching the finals live on GGSlive and I almost shit myself when Alix blind topdecked the Spiral ftw. What a match. Certainly very entairtaining to watch.

I think it was g2 when Alix was hit by two Hymns and three Thoughtseizes and still won. Thats like mulliganing to zero! That Spiral deck sure is quite resilient.

Eli writes tournament reports? Congrats!
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Jun 2008
    Central NY

Quote Originally Posted by vilik View Post
    I think it was g2 when Alix was hit by two Hymns and three Thoughtseizes and still won. Thats like mulliganing to zero!
    Unfortunately it's also like you've mulliganed to 2, which presents the issue of finding a clock to kill them :(.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Thanks for the report man, and congrats on the finish!
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Congrats on your finish.

I was watching the finals live on GGSlive and I almost shit myself when Alix blind topdecked the Spiral ftw. What a match. Certainly very entairtaining to watch.

I think it was g2 when Alix was hit by two Hymns and three Thoughtseizes and still won. Thats like mulliganing to zero! That Spiral deck sure is quite resilient.
    If by resilient you mean insanely lucky, I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

May 2007
    Czech Rep.

Quote Originally Posted by lorddotm View Post
    If by resilient you mean insanely lucky, I agree.
    Not really.

As as storm player I was mainly refering to the fact that Spiral Tide can go off off four islands by High Tide into Time Spiral, whereas storm needs cards in hand. Sure, you can Ad Nausem off nothing, but not from 3 life.

That being said, Alix most certainly got lucky. As I said, that topdeck was prolly in top 3 of luckiest I have seen to date. You know. Its magic. And variance.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Not really.

As as storm player I was mainly refering to the fact that Spiral Tide can go off off four islands by High Tide into Time Spiral, whereas storm needs cards in hand. Sure, you can Ad Nausem off nothing, but not from 3 life.

That being said, Alix most certainly got lucky. As I said, that topdeck was prolly in top 3 of luckiest I have seen to date. You know. Its magic. And variance.
    Ad Nauseam can go off faster... I don't get what you're saying...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

High Tide certainly is resilient, no one can deny that. It's why Time Spiral is so ridiculous, you always have a shot if you can just resolve that card.

At the same time, of course the blind flip was an insane mise, on the order of Nassif's called shot on Cruel Ultimatum. Luck happens.

Congrats on your finish, Eli! You mention running more combo hate possibly in future tourneys, have you considered the synergy between Mom + hatebears, like Canonist or especially Teeg? I know when I was testing Storm vs D&T it made me very unhappy to see T1 mom T2 hatebear.

May 2007
    Czech Rep.

Quote Originally Posted by lorddotm View Post
    Ad Nauseam can go off faster... I don't get what you're saying...
    I'm saying that Spiral Tide is resilient vs. heavy discard (as witnessed in the finals). What I mean by that that it can go off with limited resources (i.e. two cards in hand). Which I was trying to illustarate by comparing it to storm.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Great report! I now see why you omitted the extra Goyfs. Certainly something I have to think about (Goyf is auto 4-off in my green decks).

They call me a slob, but I do my job...
    Sep 2009
    Back to the city by the sea, blowin' in the wind, fighting with hordes of retired people

Nice report and interesting deck choice. I enjoyed a lot the introductory part about the genesis of the deck. Congrats on the finish, you are morally the ex aequo winner of the Open ;)

Quote Originally Posted by FieryBalrog View Post
    Congrats on your finish, Eli! You mention running more combo hate possibly in future tourneys, have you considered the synergy between Mom + hatebears, like Canonist or especially Teeg? I know when I was testing Storm vs D&T it made me very unhappy to see T1 mom T2 hatebear.
    Doesn't storm pack split second solutions (grip and wipe away) in any case against CB? This should make mom a lot less efficient in protecting the hatebears.

I'm saying that Spiral Tide is resilient vs. heavy discard (as witnessed in the finals). What I mean by that that it can go off with limited resources (i.e. two cards in hand). Which I was trying to illustarate by comparing it to storm.
    I used to play Spring Tide before the unban of time spiral, and it already was very resilient indeed. Playing only basics makes it immune to wasteland, and the incredible redundancy makes hard to hit a key card with discard or countermagic. The deck is never all in like ANT is on IT+LED, since it can go off on High Tide + Untapper with little resource expenditure. It compensates by being approximately one turn slower and having a slightly higher probability to fizzle on Time Spirat than ANT has on Ad Nauseam.
    Team Stimato Ezio: You're off the team!

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
    -Kierkegaard

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Please, please, Uncle Eli. We would love it, ever so much, if you would tell us more about how you created Eva Green.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I値l suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I値l fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Cthuloo View Post
    Doesn't storm pack split second solutions (grip and wipe away) in any case against CB? This should make mom a lot less efficient in protecting the hatebears.
    TES usually have Pyroclasm or Grapeshot on the side to deal with Hate-Bears.
    Ad Nauseam can use the Doomsday backup plan, to go around both Tegg and Cannonist, so nothing you an do here...
    Tide uses Snap/Repeal/Wipe Away/Krosan Grip. Mom+Bear is good against 2 of these...
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Please, please, Uncle Eli. We would love it, ever so much, if you would tell us more about how you created Eva Green.
    I think he was saying "I created a deck that turned out to be what Legacy already had in Eva Green" or "I created a deck that Legacy-players would classify as Eva Green".

Jul 2007
    syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I think he was saying "I created a deck that turned out to be what Legacy already had in Eva Green" or "I created a deck that Legacy-players would classify as Eva Green".
    Correct, Also I used many more words to make sure this misunderstanding did not occur but Bill Stark has an editing team and they had to shorten my report that was 11 pages so it was more readable. I certainly am not taking credit for creating Eva Green. My list from the week before had green sun's zenith and a gaddock teeg, unfortunately I just could not fit either of those two back into the deck with this latest version. I do advocate running a different variety of answers to combo so that they cannot deal with your hate with one card (I.E. Rebuild etc.). Not only varying the cards but the type of cards is therefore essential (Artifacts, Enchantments, Creatures, and Instants). I think Extirpate might have been better in the board then the spellbombs. I usually don't like extirpate but at least I would not have had to f6 my turns against combo. Orim's chant is another instant for possible consideration in the future as well as mindbreak trap. Gaddock teeg and canonist are both great creatures the problem is fitting in enough of them to draw them consistently.

I appreciate all the congratulations, I am not bitter about the top-deck, I had a great time and am very satisfied with how I finished. I do think its absurd that Candelabra's have jumped that much on hype alone, and expect to see that simmer down once people realize that A)they can't pilot it as good as Alix Hatfield and B)It will be more expected and hated out now that its won an event.

I have played combo quite a bit, and recently I have been playing GW bears.
    In my opinion mindbreak trap and silence are both practically unplayable , as combo players usually have some duresses still left in the deck along with seizes as they imprint on a relevant color and let you get around random hate stuff like mindbreak trap or rule of law and whatnot.
    ( at least I was always very paranoid)
    When you have these kind of cards in your hand you have less stuff to get your own gameplan going, thus giving the combo player more time to set up and maybe play a duress at soem point out of boredom or just sheer curiosity.

If the new face of combo is time spiral, then they get a lot better, but my understanding is that tendrils combo decks are still the strongest and most popular.

Oh, and great report and grats and all that.

EDIT: to clarify my "statement", zoo decks are able to apply enough pressure even on a mulligan or two (drawing the situational hate card) to be able to take advantage of MB trap, but imo gw midrange is not. It is better of with manadenial and hope&pray it gets to 2 mana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Race War View Post
    <Carnage> fuck idiot learn education

Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by T-ORGANIZER View Post
    Correct, Also I used many more words to make sure this misunderstanding did not occur but Bill Stark has an editing team and they had to shorten my report that was 11 pages so it was more readable. I certainly am not taking credit for creating Eva Green.
    Understandable. And actually, expected. Considering Stark's history regarding Legacy.

I just find it deliciously ironic that Anwar both created the original Eva Green deck, and the deck that Alix won with in Edison.
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I値l suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I値l fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

1. Good finish.
    2. TERRIBLE report. No props or slops, no gratuitous self back-patting? An entire round where you had forgotten all of the details and you could have talked about how your opponent was playing... aydunno. Pox? Something else that you could laugh at? Like, maybe, he was still running Survivals and made it to round seven or five or whatever and nobody had noticed?
    3. Did you also happen to invent the internet?
    4. I LOVE Parcher blowing up on the internet.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Pffffffffttttt. That's not blowing up. You'll never see me care about anything here enough to blow up anymore.

But I wanted the clarification because: 1) The way it was written was misleading to those who don't know better. and 2) I know Eli doesn't care enough to claim credit for most of what he actually does, much less something like this. That's why Stark' s editing stuck out so blatantly.
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Thread Information