Thread: Toronto Legacy with Imperial Painter

Toronto Legacy with Imperial Painter

So I competed in my Legacy tournament this weekend. Not a SCG Legacy Open, but it was Toronto's Wizard World Legacy Foil Tournament. I placed 2nd (and punted the finals of all things *grin* you can see the report below).

Here is the list I ended up playing. It's not optimal, you can check the Imperial Painter thread here at the Source for more up to date ino. I could not find my shattering spree's and no one had any to trade / sell, and I needed them all day as there were a lot of chalice's one 1!

// Lands
    6 Mountain
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Wooded Foothills
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Bloodstained Mire

// Creatures
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Painter's Servant
    3 Figure of Destiny
    2 Magus of the Moon
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

// Spells
    3 Chrome Mox
    3 Blood Moon
    2 Magma Jet
    3 Pyroblast
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Grindstone
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

// Sideboard
    SB: 3 Lightning Bolt
    SB: 1 Goblin Welder
    SB: 1 Hearth Kami
    SB: 1 Viashino Heretic
    SB: 1 Vexing Shusher
    SB: 1 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 Basilisk Collar
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 3 Firespout

A couple quick comments:
    - The firespouts worked wonders against dredge, goblins and affinity... surprisingly a good metagame call
    - The toolbox of recruiter targets for artifact hate was pretty much useless, they were all too slow; however, the varied casting cost was nice when one guy got down a chalice @ 1 and @ 2
    - I did not see the jitte the entire day; however, the collar was great, turning my recruiters into reasonable blockers against affinity, still jitte is the better equipment. It should be in the SB, with +1 Jaya Ballard in the main
    - I mulled every round, and mulled to 5 on 4 different games... this deck can get there though. I won on turn 2 on a mull to 5 at least once and won two of the other mull to 5's.

On to the report (5 rounds of swiss, cut to the top 8):

Round 1: Oldschool U/W control - Loss
    - This is the guy who ended up in first after the cut to the top 8. I was just settling in and felt fairly cold to the deck. Dropped a first turn magus of the moon and held him off mana. He spell pierced my next play which threw me off and I played around spell pierce, even though I had grindstone and painter in hand. This gave him time to find a plains to swords my painter and then drop humility (?!? maindeck?). I still almost beat him down and grinded him out, but he beat me down with Elspeth tokens with 4 life and maybe 7 cards in his library
    - Game two I punted by not blasting his wrath (with painter on the field) and then again stacking cards wrong off the top and not having enough mana to go off the turn before he unloaded on me. His deck ran humility, moat, all kinds of good enchantments I couldn't deal with *grin*

0 : 1

Round 2: U/W control - Win
    - Demolished him in two games, the first I blood moon on turn two. He dazes, I pay with SSG, he dazes by returning a dual. Next turn, I drop the magus of the moon and that's pretty much it. Game two I had turn 1 blood moon again and he had kept a hand with no counters.

1 : 1

Round 3: Goblins - Win
    - This was an interesting match up. A lot harder then I thought as they actually have a fair bit out outs with vial and incinerator. Anyways, game 1 I dropped painter and grindstone on turn one (on a mull to 5). Game 2 he totally punts. He drops a mountain to play lackey, I bolt it eot. On my turn I drop blood moon and he is screwed out of his white splash. He had a fetch in hand, could have dropped it for a plains, played vial and the next turn dropped lackey & been in business. Oh well. He develops his board, but 2 firespouts later its looking grim. The only tough play was that he had 3 goblins in play, enough to incinerator my servant, but I had grindstone as well so it was a bit of a standoff, with me losing the damage race. I played bolt to kill a goblin, he incinerated, I used SSG to activate grindstone in response. Love SSG!

2: 1

Round 4: MUD - Loss
    This was so disheartening. I had no idea what he was playing, but dropped a first turn moon. He drops metalworker with some fast mana. I kill it, which sets him back, but I cannot find gas to get him down low enough before his artifact mana puts him back into it. Steel hellkite is brutal. Second game I pull it out with viashio heretic, after he gets down chalice @1 and 2. I nuked the 1, dropped grindstone, next turn nuked the 2, dropped painter and my blasts were online for protection, next turn gg. Last game he runs me over with 2 hellkites and a truck.

2 : 2

Round 5: Affinity - win
    I have to win this to have a chance at being in the top 8 (two players at 3:2 can make it in). Again, no idea what he is playing so I blood moon him turn 1. He barfs his hand onto the table and signal pest + lots of dudes gets there. I boarded out all the moon effects to make room for artifact hate and bolts. He mulls aggressively to give himself options against moon (in the form of springleaf drum) which helps slow him down while I keep tutoring for different hate pieces. He kills them all with galvanic blasts, but misplays by killing welder rather then painter. I topdeck a grindstone like a champ and we move to game 3. The last game was good, but I firespout his first couple plays, he then drops disciple and ravager, which is scary, but my recruiter with a basilisk collar hold him off until I find grindstone for the win (recruiter had fetched painter). I dropped both and had a blast in hand to protect the painter from his galvanic.

3 : 2 (top 8, in 8th place!)

Top 8, vs U/W control - win
    This match is against the guy I lost to first round. However, I am now warmed up and drop painter and top turn 1, turn two is grindstone and activation. Game two is much longer but I drop a turn one moon, which he can't deal with. It takes him a while to get up to coloured mana, and he has played some morphs which turn out to be exalted angels. He has to wrath at some point to get rid of my painter (with grindstone down) which deals with them, and I am at 1 life. Next turn I drop a koth and start the beats. At 5 counters, he lays down elspeth. I ultimate Koth and use my mountains (under moon of course) to ping the tokens and kill elspeth. Over the next 3 turns I just ping him to death.

Top 8, vs bloodghast + ichorid Dredge - win
    I know he is on dredge so turn one I drop a naked grindstone and painter to prevent being cabal therapied. On a mull to 5...Seems good. Game two he mulls to 4, I drop turn one blood moon and that is that.

Top 8, vs Junk - loss
    Game 1 I keep an awesome hand (top, moon, mox, recruiter, grindstone, city of traitors, mountain) . He toughtseizes, and takes top. I blood moon the next turn. Then recruiter for painter. He toughtseizes grindstone, so I spend 3-4 turns beating with recruiter and waiting. One nice tech was the painter naming blue made his Sword of Fire & Ice rather useless *grin*. I draw another grindstone (off a top in play) and that is it. Game two he again is under moon, but has a stoneforge mystic and jitte in play. He gets up to 3 counters, which is enough to kill my painter in play. I have grindstone, but cannot activate or he responds. I play properly by blasting his jitte, he kills painter (I only had 2 mana left, so no grindstone in response)... but I forgot to declare blockers first, which means combat damage goes through! New counters on jitte, meaning my painter in hand is useless as I still only have 4 mana total (need 5 for painter + grindstone activation). My own fault. Game 3 I blast an aether vial when I have him under moon again, instead of waiting to blast the jitte. It comes out and I draw 2 chrome mox, 3 lands, a Koth and die in a blaze of glory.

Second place, but a great deck and some great games!

Re: Toronto Legacy with Imperial Painter

Congratz on your finish. And a nice report.

However, you do realize that Painter Servant doesn't really care about Humility? The color change ability happens in the previous layer than the 'lose all abilities'- ability from Humility. That's why all cards are already blue when Humility takes away the ability. So you could have comboed off with the Grindstone in your hand.

And Humility maindeck is nothing unusual. All UW Landstill lists have 2 copies main.

EDIT: Try saying 'the lose all abilities-ability from humility' fast and several times in a row ^^

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Izor View Post
    Congratz on your finish. And a nice report.

However, you do realize that Painter Servant doesn't really care about Humility? The color change ability happens in the previous layer than the 'lose all abilities'- ability from Humility. That's why all cards are already blue when Humility takes away the ability. So you could have comboed off with the Grindstone in your hand.

And Humility maindeck is nothing unusual. All UW Landstill lists have 2 copies main.

EDIT: Try saying 'the lose all abilities-ability from humility' fast and several times in a row ^^
    This. I play Quinn and I maindeck Humility, and play the PainterStone combo.

I was gonna play there too. My buddies were there, though they were playing standard. One of them took 1st at one of the 8-man standard events. Unfortunately I had work that Sunday :(

Congrats on the win, how was the tourney overall. Also, how was the prices? I heard for $30 pay, it was crap.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Hmmm, humility is annoying to say the least. It still screwed with my magus of the moon... but you are correct about the painter effect. Too bad on my part in terms of knowing the rules and how my own deck works *grin*. Most of the rules questions I encounter relate to blood moon effects, so thanks for the reminder. Not sure if it would have mattered in that match-up as he path'd my painter before dropping humility. Do you know if Imperial Recruiter's ability still triggers (it is a "comes into play" ability)? If it does, then I would have been set.

There was not a single U/W landstill deck in this tournament, more U/W control. I used to play U/W landstill and ran a humility main + 1 in the board, but not in U/W control, and that was almost 2 years ago. It was an evolution of scepter-chant. Still unexpected as I didn't realize those slower versions of U/W were back in play again. If humility doesn't stop painter, then they are a beautiful match-up as pretty much everything you cast they MUST counter! And most people play spell pierce as an early counter over daze, which means they have one less out to a first turn magus or painter (can still hit grindstone, top or blood moon though).

Overall the tourney was pretty good, definitely a good atmosphere. Most players in Toronto know each other, or at least recognize each other. The vendors were good (minus skyfox as his prices are still over the moon!) and it was pretty fun. However, you should not start a legacy 5 round + cut to top 8 at 3pm, we didn't get out of there until after 11pm.

In terms of payouts, the tournament was kind of crappy. It was a $25 entrance fee with top 8 winning arch-enemy packs, 2nd getting a bunch of foil packs, first getting basically everything (1 foil block, 1 foil uncut sheet of cards, a bunch of foil packs). Again, it has been too long since I have been placing at tournaments as the top guy and myself should have split. A vendor would have bought the prize and cashed us both out for probably $250-400 each (depending on which block was in the prize). Would have been a better deal for both of us, as trying to sell entire foil blocks can be a pain!

Humility does prevent ETB (former CIP) effects from creatures, so you couldn't search for anything with Recruiter under Humility.

Quote Originally Posted by Izor View Post
    Humility does prevent ETB (former CIP) effects from creatures, so you couldn't search for anything with Recruiter under Humility.
    Good to know, thanks!

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    Hmmm, humility is annoying to say the least. It still screwed with my magus of the moon...
    Just to further confuse you: Magus of the Moon still works under Humility

Quote Originally Posted by kikoo View Post
    Just to further confuse you: Magus of the Moon still works under Humility
    LOL. Nice, consider me confused. Curious though, why does Magus of the Moon ability still apply?

And good to know about the ETB abilities are affected too. Wondering, what about going into graveyard abilities/effects? Such as Progenitus or Emrakul?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    LOL. Nice, consider me confused. Curious though, why does Magus of the Moon ability still apply?
    I did my research, because after I started looking into humility I started remembering the layer rules *grin*. Magus of the moons ability is a type changing ability, so it is applied in layer 4, Humility's ability is and 'other' ability and so applies in layer 5, so the magus makes all the nonbasic lands mountains before humility takes it's abilities away. Basically the magus makes all lands mountains, and then turns into a 1/1 with no abilities!

You can check out further rulings and such here

No idea about Progenitus or Emrakul though. I know it cards like tarmogoyf and maro's p/t stats count even in the yard, but I am not sure about triggered abilities. I would suspect that due to timestamping, their abilities still are applied?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I believe the FAQs for Humility can be found here:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...Humility-Works
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Thread Information