Thread: The Temple Games Sunday Legacy Report for April 10, 2011

The Temple Games Sunday Legacy Report for April 10, 2011

A sunny and mild spring day greeted both store regulars and fresh faces for the weekly Sunday Legacy tournament at The Temple Games in Pawtucket, RI. 16 players were matched into four rounds with a top eight cut. The broad field included regulars such as tribal goblins and elves, Bant, Burn, Dredge, Zoo, Team America, Rock, Counter-top, and a pair of mono-black control builds alongside some unusual white control and treefolk home brews – but nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition!

In Round One, my 3rd Degree Burn was pitted in a favorable matchup against Team America. Game one saw a pair of Tarmogoyfs just barely out run the flames and carry the team to victory. Games two and three were a different matter, with the Relic of Progenitus in game two gutting the aforementioned ‘goyfs, and drawing into a copy of itself to keep them impotent for a loss. Burn takes round one.

At other tables, The Epic Storm ripped through an unfortunate newbie who got a rough first match up. Mono-Black Control Vampires beat up on Bant as a powerful pair of Glooms hit the table – Swords to Plowshares for 7 mana? Ouch! Zoo was out-numbered by a horde of thopters while Counterbalance kept the critters caged and the Wild Nacatls in the graveyard.

Round Two had the controlling vampires facing off against my flames and bolts. Game one came down to the wire as Liliana Vess forced a discard of some much-needed burn while the nefarious Vampire Nighthawk prowled the skies, seeking to gain life by drawing blood, but burn pulled the win before the blood sucker could do any damage. Game two saw Liliana flip a Nighthawk to the top of the pile buffing the Vampire Nocturnus, but maybe she should have ripped at my hand again, as the black beat stick was a few inches short of finishing the game before I turned up the heat for a second win. 3rd degree goes 2-0.

Around the room, Dredge swallowed goblins into the graveyard winning one game on the back of a missed play when the red horde dropped an opportunity to exile the deplorable Bridge From Below. Countertop struggled against Bant, with a last minute Ensnaring Bridge being insufficient to stop the beats as a dead Force of Will kept the hand size above zero and allowed the final points of damage through. It’s not often that the $70 uncommon is a hindrance rather than a help.

Round Three saw the top four undefeated players draw through to the top eight, but games were played for fun anyway. 3rd Degree dropped one game to Bant, but came back with a vengeance to roast it to what would have been another victory. Dredge took a win against The Epic Storm in the other “for fun” non-match. Burn goes 2-0-1

Table three saw some massive life gain in game two for Mono-Black Control, stalling Countertop as the throat-slitting Nighthawks plied their bloody trade. A stunning opening in game three (including three early Duresses) left Countertop reeling with nothing but a single Maze of Ith to hold off a Nantuko Shake and Nighthawk. With the game firmly in the hands of black, a flood of land on both sides favored the player with a fistful of spells and the mana to now sling them, Countertop turned the black tide and pulled out as win as the Vamps slogged into nothing but swamps for five turns.

At table five, the other Black Control was hammering at Bant, with Gatekeepers of Malakir denying entry to several ‘goyfs and a pair of Vampire Nocturnus (Nocturni?) pumping the heck out of a pair of Vampire Nighthawks. Sadly, the black battering just wasn’t enough against the a fat Tombstalker with his own Nighthawks who blocked into a big team swing (was that a critical missed trigger on the Pulse Tracker?), which nearly wiped the board on both sides, but left the Tombstalker flying. Umezawa's Jitte dropped the next turn, sealed the deal, and Bant took the match.

Round Four saw draws across the board into the top eight. In another fun “non-match”, 3rd Degree squared off against Dredge. The zombie spitting deck easily took game one, but a quick side of Relic of Progenitus and a brace of three in my opening hand all but guaranteed the game two win, as Dredge was never able to keep anything of value in the grave. Another Relic and a weak hand for my opponent locked up game three for the win in the fun round. Burn slides into the top eight at 2nd place with 2-0-2.

Top Eight Elimination started with a re-match against Team America. The match was similar to the first round, with the Team taking game one, and the Relic holding off the ‘goyfs in the next two games as Dark Confidant and fetch lands did some of the work for me. Game three wrapped with a hard cast Force of Will fizzling a lethal Lightning Bolt, only to have a 10 damage Price of Progress land with no way for the Team to counter it, and three Wastelands tapped out, preventing some time-buying self land destruction. The Epic Storm quickly finished off White Denial, while Goblins didn’t let their second chance slip and chewed through Dredge with help from some bad draws for the grave-master.

Round Two Elimination saw 3rd Degree go down to a first game Empty the Warrens and a 2nd game Tendrils of Agony from The Epic Storm. Bant hammered the Goblins into submission.

Final Standings:
    Nick Romano (The Epic Storm) and Adam Tanner (Bant) split the top prize, with Dan Livant (3rd Degree Burn) and Mike Souto (Goblins) taking 3rd and 4th respectively.

Congratulations to our top four, and we look forward to seeing everyone again next Sunday!
    Last edited by Browncoat67; 04-11-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Jan 2011
    providence, rhode island

Re: The Temple Games Sunday Legacy Report for April 10, 2011

Great report Dan! Your burn deck seems to get better and better each week. Hopefully now that I have my first tournament with Dredge under my belt I can manage to not scrub out in the first round of the top 8 next week lol

Argyle sweaters make things better.
    May 2009
    Maine/Worcester, MA

Re: The Temple Games Sunday Legacy Report for April 10, 2011

I was confused because I read "The Spanish Inquisition" and thought that meant you were playing that deck, rather than burn.

Nice work though. You should post your list.

Thread Information