Thread: 29th at SCG Atlanta with GW Pandora

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

29th at SCG Atlanta with GW Pandora

ITT: I decide to brew something two weeks ago to attack the metagame at SCG Dallas, panic when I see combo winter take LA, audible and forget that Spiral Tide is a real deck at Atlanta. I also eat a giant Cephalid Breakfast, proving that my dodging skills officially suck

Relive my tale of mediocrity!

http://mtgmetagame.com/949/

Thanks,

--Mark
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

May 2006
    Moscow, Russia

Re: 29th at SCG Atlanta with GW Pandora

What I don't get is why'd you want to run 8 mana dorks, when you can run 4 hierarchs, 4 GSZ and one Dryad Arbor. And it just plays nicely with everything else.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tinefol View Post
    What I don't get is why'd you want to run 8 mana dorks, when you can run 4 hierarchs, 4 GSZ and one Dryad Arbor. And it just plays nicely with everything else.
    I actually thought about running the exact package of manabugs you were talking about (-4 Birds of Paradise, -1 Forest, +4 GSZ, +1 Dryad Arbor) on Saturday night, but in this specific case you need a high creature count to trigger Vengevines, and while GSZ is very strong as a utility card, it unfortunately doesn't help in that fact. I also needed mana to cast my off color silver bullet creatures in the sideboard, 4 Hierarch + 4 Birds of Paradise to ensure that Gilded Drake could be reliably cast, 4 Birds of Paradise + 4 Windswept Heath + 1 Misty Rainforest + 1 Taiga to make sure Magus of the Moon could be reliably cast.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Feel It
    Oct 2010
    Mtgthesource.com, where else? :)

Very nice report.

Overall, were you happy with the performance of Vengevines?
    Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post

Oh ya, there was that SCG article with a deck called Laxstorm. If you ask me, it reminds me more of a laxative brand and not the player (no offence to Ari Lax).

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I agree with the Tinefol, you want 4 GSZ and maybe 1 Bop to cast your off colored cards. Without GSZ, you can't reliably find Fauna to start the chain. Honestly though, I prefer just running Iona-Retainers so you don't have the double dork in a turn to recur veges problem.

How dare you switch from Next Level Thresh to this pile!

I kid, I kid. This deck's actually pretty sweet. Vengevine isn't appreciated nearly as much as it should be.

About the green sun's zenith question (should it be ran or not?) I think it's worth running. Having 8 copies of fauna shaman in the deck seems pretty nuts to me. Sure, it doesn't trigger the vines when your bringing the second wave of attackers, but I think the consistency it would add is worth it. The deck has a ton of creatures as it is, plus eternal witness can pretty much trigger vines all on it's own (get back and play random noble heirarch, bash in with angry plants).

The one card I suggest you give a try is sylvan safekeeper. It gets better in version's with green sun's zenith, but even in your current build it would be a pretty sweet card to go get in a pinch. Unlike mother of runes, you get the protection immediately without having to wait a turn. It seems like it would be a sweet way to protect either canonist or gaddock teeg from getting hit by bounce or removal out of combo decks. Also, using an enlightened tutor package out of the sideboard could be promising. It gets crypt and canonist in very quick fashion, as well as letting you diversify you board with more varied hate cards. It also can even get the sweet equipment you have main if you can't find a stoneforge mystic.
    You can't pull out the RUG from under me, CUZ I AM THE RUG!

Oct 2009
    Michigan

You should probably also have a revoker somewhere in your 75. Too much utility not to be there as a tutor target.

Thread Information