Thread: "Adventures of a Walking Bye" GP: Providence Trial Report- Winner 3/26 L. Harbor

Sep 2006
    www.dhgri.com

"Adventures of a Walking Bye" GP: Providence Trial Report- Winner 3/26 L. Harbor

Adventures of a Walking bye
    - By Dave Feinstein

----

I don't get to go out events much because I'm busy with my own store ,
    but I really enjoy legacy lately and GP: Providence is like down the road from my store. Plus GP: Boston went really good for me 2 years go and I haven't really played in something that big since. So I knew I wanted byes.

It's hard to find motivation to go to competitive tournaments anymore because I'm just not that competitive these days. I enjoy doing team drafts (and usually losing them), but that's about as far as it gets. Luckily, I found some motivation to attend this event from none other than these guys:

Yep, some pretty famous people come to my store for weekly legacy. On the left we have Josh Cicio. He's got that 'too cool for school' aura about him and he's lost maybe 4 matches total at my events in the last 6 months. In the middle that's the real ringer, Nick Wilbur. He's got all the chips. All the time. And that guy to the right trying to look like a ringer, that's John Kubilis.

So anyway, these three come by my shop all the time. I informed them that I would be probably attending the first GP: Providence trial in the area. Their response:

Cicio: Good, we could use a walking bye
    Wilbur: Hahaha
    Kubilis: Dur Hur Hur

Me:

Boy did that light a fire under my well insulated ass.

I decided to go to war and this is the list I used:

Team AmeriaThrun!

2 Jace, The Mind Sculptor
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Thrun, The Shotgun
    4 Tarmogoyf

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Spell Snare
    3 Ponder
    2 Stifle

4 Go For the Throat
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Engineered Explosives

4 Poluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland
    1 Island
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Bayou
    4 Underground Sea

Sideboard:
    1 Thrun, The Shotgun
    2 Blue Elemental Blast
    1 Engineered Explosives
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Null Rod
    2 Ghastly Demise
    3 Engineered Plague

If that list looks familiar, it's similar to a version of the Team America list that Gerry Thompson Top 8'd Starcity with. Wait, that's not specific enough :p http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=37279 That's Gerry's list from SCG: Forth Worth. I was kind of bummed when I saw him do well with that because I had been working on Team America with Confidants for a while and most lists were more traditional with Trombstalkers instead. I never cared that much for Tombstalker, because it didn't provide any card advantage and actually interfered with good cards like Goyf and Ghastly Demise.

My problem was I kept trying to make my version 4 color. I maindecked 3 colors for a long time, but had volcs for sideboard firespouts and REB's. This worked for a while, but stifle and wasteland use have exploded in recent weeks and it was causing me big problems. I realized simplifying the manabase would do wonders for me so that's the main reason I went to 3 colors. Gerry had additional hand destruction with inquisition/thoughtseize and additional counters in Daze. I wasn't big on either. I found people to always play around Daze and Hymn is really plenty enough hand destruction main deck. Spell Pierce is similar in purpose to the 1 mana discard spells, plus the blue count needed to be higher so Force of Will isn't awful.

The most important tweak I wanted was based on that I knew Gerry's list would be heavily played, as well as URG which isn't that far off. Both those decks pack Sowers and Gilded Drakes in the sideboard. Those are good as stealing goyf and Terravore. But they can't steal this guy:

That may look like a shotgun, but you actually know him in his real form:

I've thought for a while that Thrun is the business, but no one played with him. That was about to change! I made the 2 hour trip to Lost Harbor Games with my friend Dana. Lost Harbor is a good store run by Mike Bregoli, of Mise Tings fame. The store was packed and we almost didn't make it due to Dana's GPS giving us a 'truck route.' IF only I could somehow get him back for that...

anyway they paired round 1 and off we go!

Round 1: Dana /w UW aggro

Now is my chance for revenge! Wait, no... I don't want this match :p We playtested for like hours on end the night before and although it slightly favored me, I just don't like playing people I test with...but who does. Oh well. Game 1 we have some stifle wars and lands some meddling mages naming tarmogoyf and go for the throat. I land an EE and manage to reset the game. I was worried about stifle, but he blew through a couple already so that was fortunate. I land a Jace and that basically does the rest. Sided out Spell Pierces for 2 Ghastly and another EE.

Game two he mulliganed and tried to get traction with Mages and Mindcensors, but I never really let those get far. Countered or removed them then landed the Shotgun and blasted away. I will say Jotun Grunt is a bitch to deal with and Dana never really saw them in our games.

1-0

Round 2: Dan Livant /w Burn

Dan's a good man. He's a regular over at The Temple Games, which is in the same town as me. You would think having another store pop up in the same town would breed animosity, but there's none. I get along very well with The Temple crew and we promote our events alot with each other. I even recently ran some 1k's at Grant's yearly Templecon, which was alot of fun. Anyway Dan beats me all the time. My record against him is like 1-5 over various formats. He even beat me in EDH when I had 30 untargetable sand warriors out. Unbelievable. :p

Game 1: I mull to 5 and actually still keep it competitive. The noob in me comes out when I stifle Hellspark Elemental's unearth then ask Dan why he didn't remove it from the game. It stays in the yard! ;( He simply unearths it again and I just get run down. I'm decent with most rules, that one just threw me for a loop. I thought it worked like stifling flashback. oops.

Sided out confidants for demises and bebs.

Game 2: I thought I'd be better positioned here but again I just got overwhelmed. I countered and killed early dudes but he just kept piling on the burn. I ran out of spell snares and he landed Flame Rifts on me which were brutal. I landed a Thrun, which started to garner some eyeballs, but I was too behind to 8-ball to make a comeback.

I don't think burn is honestly that bad a match for this deck, but they can overwhelm you if you miss a beat and I cut a BEB from the board at the last minute. Regretted that here.

1-1

Round 3: Mike Lucas /w UW Dreadstill

Mike's a good guy who I recently played at a ptq and he beat me with Doran. I figured he'd once again be playing an under-the-radar deck. Game 1 I come out of the gates strong with goyfs and counter backup. He gets an EE off then a counterbalance, but it's blind. No top means I can still control my destiny for the most part, and eventually I ponder/brainstorm enough to my main man Thrun The Shotgun and blast away.

I never saw a kill condition besides mishra's factory, but I suspect he's dreadstill so out go my go for the throats. I brought in null rods. Siding out EE also happened, because they don't gel with rod well, but I felt like 1 should've stayed in because they are still nice against D-still.

Game 2 I hymn him and off the bat get a dreadnought. The jig is up! I land a goyf with 2 force of will in hand and feel good, but I get overconfident and cast a confidant instead of holding up 5 mana. This forces me to pitch force to cast force when countering a Dreadnought, then he plays his third dreadnought and lands it. Usually the game is over at this point, but I have 2 5/6 goyfs plus a confidant so he can't exactly swing since I'm high life and he's at 8.

We have a stare off for a really long time and he's topping while I'm drawing one a turn off confidant. I realize his out is EE for 2 so I resolve a null rod and with little time on the clock and me up game 1 I ask him if he can win. He says he has a way and I'm puzzled. He casts Peacekeeper :p It's annoying, but really won't allow him to win. I know my out is now jace, so I cast another confidant and alot of people thought that was risky but I used all 4 Force and one thrun was out at this point so I have virtually no danger cards to flip me to death. I guess 2 consecutive jace flips would hurt, but I was still double digit life at this stage of the game.

Eventually I do draw jace, bounce peacekeeper, and stifle ties up his mana so he can't activate factory and have plow mana up so it's exactly lethal.

Had alot of fun in these games. Really enjoy Mike as an opponent. I just am not crazy about Dreadstill right now. I don't think it's well positioned against the top decks, although UW seems to be a good spin on it.

2-1

Round 4: John Kubilis with Next Level Thresh

Bwahaha. Kubilis just top 4'd an SCG invitational qualifier with this list the week before, and Cicio won with almost the same 75. I knew he wouldn't deviate from that list, even though he was acting dumb. Or maybe he wasn't acting :p

Game 1: I cast Thrun. He casts 2 goyfs. I cast EE. I win.

Game 2: I start the game with 2 thruns in hand, which is usually horrible, but he mulliganed plus one of the few really effective cards against me that URG has is v. clique so if he does get one off I still have the other one. Anyway I thoughtseize him to find him holding sowers and the coast is clear. Thrun goes to town.

John's a really good player. I just felt very good about this match and wouldn't mind playing it again. And again.

3-1

Round 5: Sam Wang /w Next Level Thresh

Oh boy. Same deck, but Sam's a beast. He said he didn't want to play me, but I told him he's like 40 times the legacy player I am. It's probably more like 50 times. He's just a really strong player who quietly puts up great finishes alot.

Game 1- We have Jace Wars. Eventually both go away. Lavamancer is causing me headaches so Bob can't really do much. I can cast goyfs, and he cast goyfs... then I cast Thrun. Thrun actually doesn't do alot here, but he's a fantastic blocker who buys him time for my second Jace, which I eventually get and stabilize with.

I side out all confidants and spell pierces for BEB, Ghastly Demise, the other thrun and EE. It's a very defensive plan but I feel like it will work if he doesn't get out early multiple goyfs or a Jace.

Game 2: He gets out early multiple goyfs AND a Jace :p I EE the goyfs down, but Jace makes life hard. He interestingly just keeps brainstorming instead of fate-sealing me. I usually don't agree with that, but my hand was full and his wasn't so I understood it. I get Jace off the board, but he brainstormed with it like 3 times in a row. He gets another goyf out, I finally see one too... but he has basilisk collar and I lose.

Game 3: I stick to my sb plan, but it's not usually what I want to do on the play. I debated on Spell Pierces going back in, but they just aren't as effective as stifle and I didn't have room for both. You can play around spell pierce and be fine. You can't always play around stifle. Some day you have to crack your fetchlands, and if you lead with lands it's usually wasteland time. Both play together too well.

I lead with brainstorm into thoughtseize. He's holding a fistful of cards Thrun doesn't care about :p Sower and Gilded Drake are very good cards in Tempo-type mirrors, but I don't have Tombstalkers to steal. I don't even have Bob after board. I just have Goyf, and now that I know how anti-giyf his hand is my win conditions are Thrun and Jace.

He lands an early Jace again but Thrun comes down quick and he can't do as much cars selection as he did game 1. Thrun gets him off the board, then just keeps attacking. Eventually Gilded Drake/Sower have to come down as chump blockers and at that point I have inevitability.

4-1

Round 6: James /w New York ID

James is also playing Team America, although his list appears to be the same 75 as Gerry T's. I felt good about the match, but there's no reason to play here since top 8 can literally all just draw in. Also, I was told that James is actually the greatest ringer of all time. Apparently he wins down at Jupiter every day of the week. I didn't recognize him, so that information threw me off. Watching him play earlier made me suspect his ringer-ness though.

Also in top 8 was a third team America deck, an infect deck that played out round 6 with the other undefeated and won, Welder MUD (who was the other undefeated before losing round 6 to infect), Alex Maag's RB Goblins, Cicio /w Next Level Thresh and Wilbur with Zoo. It was a ridiculously stacked top 8, as the third Team America deck was piloted by Dombek and he top 8's ptq's all the time. I didn't recognize the infect player, but his deck looked great.

Top 8 Scott Hughes /w Welder Mud

Scott's a long time friend who I don't get to see much since he lives in CT. He's been down to my store for type one, but I had not held vintage in forever. He didn't know what I was playing, and I told him he had a good game 1 and an iffy games 2 and 3. That's honestly how I feel about this match. I should drop most game ones since go for the throat is dead other than being able to hit welder. Post board I bring in rods, and if one lands he can't win. Still, the match favors him if I can't draw rod. I kept very quiet about Null Rod on the day and didn't tell anyone I had them. I knew at some point they were be gold for me, since painter's/grindstone, welder mud and affinity are all decently positioned decks right now and rod curshes all of them.

Game 1: He leads with welder. I wasteland away his sources and spell snare a monolith. He can't really get traction going since he's stuck on one land. I resolve 2 goyfs and they are already 5/6's. They do the work.

I board in rods and ghastly demises. Take out EE and Throats.

Game 2: He leads with top. I thoughtseize and have to choose between voltaic key or the wrong card. I take the wrong card, and he had 2 monoliths sitting on top of his library from top. I didn't know this, but I had no way to stop the quick mana manipulation he had. I usually don't worry about key, but if left unchecked early it can cause big time damage. I got wrecked. It sucked :p

Game 3: My opening hand was 2 lands,spell pierce, brainstorm, hymn, null rod and fow. That's as close to the nuts as I can get in this match. My only worry was wasteland, but I led with underground sea because turn 1 seize is too good. I land the rod on turn 2 and he says 'well I lose.' I know he can still win through powering out a fattie since he had tombs and traitors. I follow up with Hymn and it hits 2 forgemasters. Now he loses :p

Scott took the loss well. I felt he had the best positioned deck in the room. His only loss prior to me was infect. Speaking of infect, he had just disposed of Wilbur and Cicio had beaten Maag. My opponent was...

Tio 4 Josh Cicio /w Next Level Thresh

I'll show you a walking bye :p

Honestly I don't ever want to play Cicio. He's one of the best legacy players in New England and was hot coming off winning an SCG invitational qualifier. He knows his deck inside and out, but we both know the match favors me.

Game 1: He mulls to 5 and I keep a one land double brainstorm hand on the draw. Turn 5 comes around and we're both still on one land :p I get to my second land before he does, and start hymning away. His next land gets stifled and I dodge the 3 goyfs he was holding since my hymns missed them.

I do the same board plan I didn't against Sam Wang. Out came all bobs and pierces, in came demises, another thrun, EE and BEB.

Game 2: I have 2 lands but am stifle/wastelanded to death. I know he has it, but again it's so hard to play around those cards. You need your mana early. I try to get off a ponder early but he REB's it and stifle/wasteland just locks me up.

Game 3: For all the marbles. Top 2 gets byes, and we both want them... but Cicio is going to hit every trial in the area and I really don't have the time to. I guess if I beat him he might boycott my trial :p, but I want the byes just as much as he does so conceding is out of the question here.

I keep a very slow land heavy hand with Thrun. He starts waste-landing me, but I don't mind as basic island is setting up alot of my draws since brainstorm/ponder are still online. He starts casting life from the loam, and that becomes worrisome. I need to hit 4 land before he can wasteland me for the rest of the game, and we both know that. I spell snare a very key life that would've gotten him back wasteland right before I could cast thrun. Since I foil that plan, I cast Thrun. He tries to keep goyfs on the board but I just keep nailing them with demises and throats. Eventually Gilded Drake has to come down as a blocker, which means he has to stifle it just to keep him on board. This pretty much spells the end for him.

Josh was disappointed, but the odds of him and Wilbur getting byes to the GP are extremely High. Kubilis's chances... not as high =x But I wouldn't be shocked if all 3 won trials in the near future.

Finals: James from New York

He asks me what I want to do. At this point we're both tired, but first place is 4 japanese delta and I really want them. They'd make great prizes for a free side event
    Dana is still by my side, and very very tired. Honestly if I came up alone I proibably would've played it out, because I really liked my matchup here due to my main man shotgun. But James is a ringer so I'm happy to just split with him.

I end up with the deltas anyway and he takes all the store credit. The prizes were phenomenal for a $10 trial.

James left with his new york crew, who were all very friendly. They were happy.

I was also happy. I got byes to providence. I'm probably going to get thrashed, but I'm still going to give it a go. I ended up third 2 years ago at GP: Boston, with my only loss being in the semis to the eventual winner. The odds of me repeating that are... slim

I'm at the stage where I mainly just want to have fun, while still remaining competitive. I'm too busy with the store to really care about trying to go to another Pro Tour. But playing in providence is a fun local challenge for me that wouldn't hurt if I did well. I wouldn't mind the publicity =p

This was the first GP: Providence trial in the area. There are tons coming up, and I'm fortunate enough to be hosting one myself: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Hard-Games!-D

That's right, shameless plug. I really love legacy right now. There's lots of good decks in the format. I feel Team America is very good right now, but the scene changes on the drop of a dime. I think Null Rod is fantastic and was the best sideboard card on the day for me even though I only used it in 2 matches. E. Plague was the only card I didn't use, but Goblins was looming and I thought I was going to play Mr. Maag in Top 8. I was lucky that I dodged him and Wilbur's zoo, because those are both very bad matches for me. Winnable, but awful game 1's and you need to draw a ton of sb cards to have a shot.

My version of Team America shines against the mirror, or URG Tempo/Next Level which again is pretty close to this deck. URG is better against aggro though, much better.

That's really it. I had alot of fun at this event. I thank Bregoli for holding his trial. He ran a great show.

Maybe see you guys for my trial may 1st, or my 1k legacy tcq may 21st... or my weekly legacy on thursdays (will the plugs ever stop?!). And if none of those, then see you at GP: Providence =)

- Dave

Re: "Adventures of a Walking Bye" GP: Providence Trial Report- Winner 3/26 L. Harbor

Haha I love the report dave. Good job on the win. I wish we had better games 1 and 2 as I feel each game wasn't fair, u got land screwed game 2 and I was land screwed game 1. But game 3 your deck did what you designed it to do and that's beat my deck. You def deserved the win as you def were more prepared for it than I was. Congrats

Jun 2010
    Encino, Ca

Re: "Adventures of a Walking Bye" GP: Providence Trial Report- Winner 3/26 L. Harbor

Well done man. Nice report.

Apr 2010
    Worcester, MA

Haha, I like the report Dave. Congrats on the win. But after watching you take 3 minutes to decide what land to fetch vs Josh I will never leave home without the final jeopardy music on hand, it would just be too risky.
    He wasn't always evil...

Sep 2006
    www.dhgri.com

Quote Originally Posted by JKubilis View Post
    Haha, I like the report Dave. Congrats on the win. But after watching you take 3 minutes to decide what land to fetch vs Josh I will never leave home without the final jeopardy music on hand, it would just be too risky.

I didn't have room for that in the report.

And yes, I took my time on what land to fetch in the semis... but so did he. What land to get in the first few turns can be the key to winning or losing if they have a stifle/wasteland happy hand. Like if I get basic island, you can't waste me... but now I can't turn 2 hymn. I had little decisions like that all day and they add up to winning or losing.

But yes I deserved the final jeopardy music

Gj

First off, this was a pretty good report and follow up to the tourney. I've seen James before but I haven't seen Wilbur or the URG Good stuff guy but I was told they were pretty good so the t8 was pretty stacked, you're right. I've t8'd a decent amount of PTQs but I can't win one ;). Anyways, congrats on the win and I should be at your legacy trial.

Excellent! Nice job, Dave! I appreciate the kind words. Also, I don't really like Dreadstill right now either! XD I built it for a Vengevine meta. My main thing is Standstill. There are just so many decks that don't care about Standstill right now. I feel Dreadnought is awesome against the field, but Standstill isn't. That's what I get for taking a 6 month old list to a tournament in 2011! ;) Congrats on the win, hope to see you on the 1st and at GP Providence!

PS: My out was the Peacekeeper into a Jace. ;)

Catcher of souls, hunter of spirits
    Jan 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA

I love how every single match vs Next Level Thresh was like "I resolved Thrun, did some stuff, then won". I'm also hoping the Thrun tech doesn't catch on because I'm also playing NLT now and the deck has precious few ways of beating a resolved troll with any kind of decent backup. Anyway, congrats on the win.

Sep 2006
    www.dhgri.com

Quote Originally Posted by VsTheWorld View Post
    I love how every single match vs Next Level Thresh was like "I resolved Thrun, did some stuff, then won". I'm also hoping the Thrun tech doesn't catch on because I'm also playing NLT now and the deck has precious few ways of beating a resolved troll with any kind of decent backup. Anyway, congrats on the win.
    Thanks Scott.

Yeah I mean Thrun just shuts the deck down. If he catches on then next level thresh's evolution could be using Thruns also.

I really like NLT. It and Team America are right around the same power level. NLT seems better against aggro, and TA better against other mid-range decks and combo.

I could've easily faced like goblins/merfolk/zoo and been 0-3. I realized looking back my matchups were very favorable despite my opponents all being strong. I did have almost the entire SB devoted to aggro, but I still felt like NLT can handle a diverse meta better.

At this point it's really a toss-up between the two decks for me. Both are great, and the amount of strong players running NLT makes me think it might have an edge in the overall meta.

We'll have to wait and see, but both URG and UGB seem like they're going to win people tons of byes in the near future.

Good luck,
    Dave

Oct 2005
    Mass

This was a very enjoyable report. Gratz on the byes Dave. Thrun is not as good as you may think. He shits on UGx tempo decks, but not a lot of other decks.

P.S. I look forward to the tournaments you keep put plugging lol

Sep 2006
    www.dhgri.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angelfire View Post
    Thrun is not as good as you may think.
    You're right, it's probably even better than I think.

He shits on UGx tempo decks, but not a lot of other decks.
    He also shits on counterbalance/top and any Rock based variant, as well as landstill.

He's the Shotgun. The only better kill condition is Jace the AK-47 :p Also, you can't REB a thrun.

Awkward non-targeted removal spells are pretty much how to get him. I saw a landstill player flash me innocent blood when I was playing next to him and he proclaimed 'I can deal with Thrun!' That's great, I hope everyone plays innocent blood :p It's not as good as ghastly demise, just like Edict is not as good as go for the throat.

I mean maybe Thrun stays under the radar, and to be honest I'm fine with that... but he's the stones. Even against aggro you'd rather have him when they flood the board over a Jace. You're probably losing in a scenario like that either way, but Thrun blocks at least. Plus when Goblins is holding REB and you drop thrun, there is a chance to power out there where Jace wouldn't have done so.

Alot of people at the store asked me if he was good as I made him out to be... he was all that and a bag of chips (really good chips). I mean he single-handedly won me every match but Welder MUD. He didn't do alot in the burn match either, which I lost. Every other match I played was a blue-based deck and he was the stones.

So he's good against virtually any blue based deck that isn't merfolk, and he's good against Rock... that's about half the decks in the format :p

Yeah there are times where he's not going to be the stones, and I'm aware my matchups really benefited using him, but targeted removal is everywhere right now and Thrun just walks right through it. Plus he plays so nice with EE because they have to have goyfs to compete and that's when you detonate the explosives.

Maybe his goodness will not be as good down the road, but I doubt it. It's a wide open-meta, but blue based decks still take up a good percentage of top decks, as do rock variants... and Thrun rocks the party in all of those matches.

- Dave

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Good Show Captain! Although your lack of faith (in Kird Ape) disturbs me... Sadly I wont be back from China until after the GP X_X But I'll be sure to make a trip up to DHGs as soon as I get back.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

There aren't any Kird Apes in your decklist. Surely, this is a typo or some sort of deck reg. error
    Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    On a more constructive note: Anything can be funny, even if it is about rape.
    TIME POLICE

Thread Information