Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cheeri0s

Re: Cheeri0s

Interesting stuff... I've never even heard of chalice/presence as a combo: That is pretty saucy! Sadly, I do believe the Mental Misstep will be a nail in the coffin for this kind of deck. It just relies way to much on resolving a 1cc (glimpse, tutor, scapegoat) that I just don't see it having the legs to get by a deck packing 4-ofs daze/fow/misstep. That will definately be a loss. Heck, even if I brought in Multani's Presence out of the board that would eat a misstep itself!

I am trying to build a G/b version of this with cabal therapy, duress, and assorted black disruption as a way to board effectively against U decks. By taking out all the 1-drops in the maindeck and going with a pure BMA kill condition, I think that it's viable. I just need to get the right ratios down. Unfortunately, I won't be at GP Providence due to a prior conflict, so I'll probably be waiting to see what lists that spawns to see how to effectively fight MM.

Interesting stuff... I've never even heard of chalice/presence as a combo: That is pretty saucy! Sadly, I do believe the Mental Misstep will be a nail in the coffin for this kind of deck. It just relies way to much on resolving a 1cc (glimpse, tutor, scapegoat) that I just don't see it having the legs to get by a deck packing 4-ofs daze/fow/misstep. That will definately be a loss. Heck, even if I brought in Multani's Presence out of the board that would eat a misstep itself!

I am trying to build a G/b version of this with cabal therapy, duress, and assorted black disruption as a way to board effectively against U decks. By taking out all the 1-drops in the maindeck and going with a pure BMA kill condition, I think that it's viable. I just need to get the right ratios down. Unfortunately, I won't be at GP Providence due to a prior conflict, so I'll probably be waiting to see what lists that spawns to see how to effectively fight MM.

Well, here is a small tourney report from the first tourney I've played in with the deck since Mental Misstep came on the scene. The MD 60 was the same, but the SB was as follows:

2x Gaea's Cradle
    1x Vexing Shusher
    1x Garruk Wildspeaker
    4x Xantid Swarm
    3x Beastmaster Ascension
    3x Signal Pest
    1x Brain Freeze

Round 1: vs. Goblins
    Game1: I knew he was on goblins, so I kept a fine hand and just waited two turns to maximize my creature count while not exposing lands to wasteland/rishadan port. Went off turn three with a storm count in the 30's.
    Game2: He didn't have a sideboard, so I knew there was no mindbreak traps coming in against me. Same as Game 1.
    1-0

Round 2: vs. Affinity w/ Tezz
    Game1: Based on what I saw of his deck, I figured I would have 3 turns to sculpt before needing to go off for fear of an alpha strike from a cranially equipped artifact. This worked fine except I made a major face-palm error to throw the game. T3, with one glimpse resolved, I had drawn a few 0's, a personal tutor, a scapegoat, and a fetch land. Having used the savannah I had in play to cast the glimpse, I needed to play the fetch, crack for tropical island, play the tutor to draw the second glimpse, and then draw into any mana source with the remaining 3 0's in hand to play the scapegoat or the second glimpse and roll from there. Pretty good odds of this working like normal. Instead, I thought the savannah was untapped and fetched the taiga instead, since a scapgoat here is better than the tutor for glimpse without the extra mana source in hand. With no way to play the tutor or keep the glimpse going (except by drawing a lotus petal to play the scapegoat) I fizzled and died before being able to reset. VERY DUMB and a good example of why I'll never be a great player. A few 5/5 ornithopter hits ended me around turn 7 or 8.
    Game2: No sideboarding. I opened on a pretty nut draw and killed quick as he didn't have misstep. I think it was my turn 1 or 2 on the draw.
    Game3: No sideboarding. I knew from scouting that he was playing misstep from the board, so I knew I would have to wait until I could overwhelm him before trying to go off. I opened on a glimpse, creatures, and no mana sources. On the draw against a non-storm deck I figured I could wait. He came out pretty quick and countered my first glimpse on turn 3. Fearing mindbreak trap as well, I passed the turn rather than cast the second glimpse as my third spell. He hit me down to 5 and then I drew another glimpse for my turn. He countered the first, I resolved the second, but now knew the odds of getting the 4th glimpse were slim. I drew a bunch but didn't hit the glimpse in time before fizzling. Fortunately, the creatures I landed clogged up the board and he didn't have any direct damage. Once I was able to untap, I cast the scapegoat to pull 'em all back and then cast the glimpse to go off again and take it down.
    2-0

Round 3: vs. G/B/u junk.
    I knew this would be a bad matchup for me as my deck gets creamed by disruption with counter backup.
    Game1: I open a on decent hand that quickly gets torn apart by fast thoughtseize/hymn to tourach. After turn 2 I was left with two memnites, a kobold, and a beastmaster's ascension in hand. He had gotten knocked down to 15 from his fetches/thoughtseize/FoW so I figured memnite beatdown would be the way to go! Also, if I drew land I could lay the ascension and maybe get there through removal! It almost worked as the memnites got him down to 5 before he stabilized and landed goyfs/confidants/terravores to turn the tide.
    Game2: Sideboard: +3 xantid swarm, +4 Signal Pest, +2 Gaea's Cradle, +1 Garruk, +3 beastmaster's ascension, +1 vexing shusher, -4 personal tutor, -4 shield sphere, -1 scapegoat, -4 skyshroud cutter, -1 grapeshot. I opened on a nut draw (2 glimpses, a fetch, spirit guide, 3 kobolds) and he didn't have enough disruption. I drew most of my library and passed the turn with 16 creatures in play and my hand (after discarding) consisting of 2 gaea's cradle, garruk, 2 ascensions, 2 xantid swarm. He untapped, thoughtseized to make sure I didn't just keep one ascension, and conceeded. Double glimpsing is unusual after boarding as the fizzle % goes up quite a bit when the deck goes from 53% 0-cc creatures to 40% 0-cc creatures (plus 8 1-cc creatures) after boarding. Since the storm win goes out after board, the glimpses are usually just to make sure that you've got enough creatures to overwhelm with multiple ascensions or garruk.
    Game3: No sideboarding. Similar to game 1, I had a good hand, but his was better as FoW/Misstep x2/Extirpate left me with not much after turn 3. Fortunately it left him without much either and I did have a good opening to rebuild quicker than he did (I still had all my 0's). He landed a Jace and started fatesealing me. Since I was holding a fetch in hand as well as a elvish spirit guide, I was just one mana away from being able to land a drawn ascension and put him on a quick clock. Three turns later, he fateseals, reads the card, and leaves it on top. I make the comment, "Huh, usually any card in my deck that needs reading automatically goes to the bottom..." and he shrugs. I draw the card and it's ascension! At this point, it's about my only win condition as my glimpses are gone (extirpate) and the grapeshot was boarded out. By this time I do have 4 kobolds, 1 ornithopter, 1 phyrexian walker, and 2 memnites on the board. If I draw a mana source and he doesn't counter ascension he's dead! Of course, he puts 2 lotus petals on the bottom with jace and I don't draw any of the other sources in 4 turns before he plays and pops a pernicious deed to clear my board. Afterward, I ask why he gave me the ascension and he mentioned that he didn't think I'd be able to cast it as he didn't see any mana sources and knew it cost 3. I think he forgot about the spirit guides and the fact I might have been sandbagging my mana in hand to dodge wasteland. He did admit to not having a counter in hand for it either. Oh, how I would have loved to peel any mana source to cast that ascension and alpha strike...
    2-1

Round 4: vs. Merfolk
    This is usually a terrible matchup for me as FoW/daze are quite good at keeping storm in check. With misstep and daze as well, I expected things to get ugly.
    Game1: I get a gift as he mulls down to 2 after pitching hands with all or no mana. He knows what I'm playing and I'm pretty sure he was also mulling down to cursecatcher/daze/Fow/misstep. Turns out his 2 card had was daze and island, and the first card he drew was misstep. Not a bad way to come back from a mull to 2... I still managed to go off through the daze and misstep and combo'd out.
    Game2: Sideboard: +3 xantid swarm, +4 Signal Pest, +2 Gaea's Cradle, +1 Garruk, +3 beastmaster's ascension, +1 vexing shusher, -4 personal tutor, -4 shield sphere, -1 scapegoat, -4 skyshroud cutter. Basically everything but the brain freeze comes in against merfolk as I try to transform from combo to aggro and just overwhelm. We both keep our 7's. He leads with a cursecatcher. Smile. I lead with 5 0-drops, a gaea's cradle, and an ascension. Later I find out that when he read ascension he thought it triggered with 6 counters instead of 7, and it changed how he played his creatures. I'm not sure it was going to matter as he couldn't have killed me the next turn and then was facing 25 points of combat damage. Anyway, I swing on turn 2 to get 5 counters on it. He kills 2 of my 0's and I pass after playing a xantid swarm and spirit guide. He puts down a couple of fish and passes back. I swing for 27 (one of the 0's was a memnite), he chumps what he can and goes down to 10. He dies on the next swing.
    3-1

I still think fish is a bad matchup for me and things had to go my way to 2-0 a good merfolk player. The transformative board worked well as it blanks much of what they bring in by switching away from combo. Xantid swarm works well as if it resolves as it give you the freedom to just play around cursecatcher. If they FoW a glimpse game 2 it works out quite well in your favor as they can't 2-for-1 themselves and win easily.

At this point it was 9:30 and I had to get to volleyball practice, so I scooped to the merfolk player and dropped. I think I would have been the #2 seed for the top 4 playoff, but unfortunately couldn't skip practice with volleyball Nationals being so close. Oh well.

Just a quick update on Cheerios: I recently started playing om MTGO and buit the deck there to test and play with. I've been getting better with it (making less sub-optimal decisions) and it has been performing prett well. The only big issue it has with mtgo is that Skyshroud Cutter isn't an available card, so those have been replaced MD with two signal pests and two phyrexian marauders. This has helped the deck by being able to still win by signal pest even when glimpse gets countered. It is worse against engineered explosives however and that has come up a couple times.

For those interested in seeing the deck in action for a T1 kill, I did record a replay from a recent daily event. Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yUTqtxHzGc

Jul 2008
    Netherlands

Allright with Misstep banned this might be playable again! Lets start testing again :).

Quote Originally Posted by 1maarten1 View Post
    Allright with Misstep banned this might be playable again! Lets start testing again :).

lol... Force of Will is still a problem child...

MY decklist:

0 chump creatures
    3 Shield Sphere
    4 Phyrexian Walker
    4 Memnite
    4 Ornithopter
    4 Kobolds of Kher Keep
    4 Crimson Kobolds
    4 Crookshank Kobolds

Damage Makers
    2 Salvage Titan
    3 Signal Pest

Instant Win Condition
    2 Goblin Bushwhacker

Tutor/Draw
    3 Burning Wish
    3 Glimpse of Nature

lands/mana
    2 Taiga
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Tinder Wall
    3 Wild Cantor
    3 Land Grant

Sideboard/Wishboard
    Wish
    1 Glimpse of Nature
    1 Land Grant
    1 Haze of Rage
    1 Grapeshot

Side
    3 Contested War Zone
    4 Multani's Presence
    4 (open)

Finished 3rd in a 57 man tournament (going 5-1) with this Cheerios list

4 Kobolds of Kher Keep
    4 Crimson Kobolds
    4 Crookshank Kobolds
    4 Memnite
    4 Ornithopter
    4 Phyrexian Walker
    4 Shield Sphere

4 Glimpse of Nature
    4 Multani's Presence
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Songs of the Damned
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Force of Will

4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Bayou

//Sideboard
    3 Beastmaster Ascension
    2 Garruk Wildspeaker
    4 Signal Pest
    4 Forest
    2 Misty Rainforest

My match-ups were Mono-green something (combo'd before I could see what it was), re-animator (my only loss), U/B infect, R/B goblins, ANT, R/B goblins.

The sideboard was hastily thrown together in an attempt to have a plan B after the Tendrils of Agony plan might be revealed in game 1. Beastmaster Ascension was the only card I really made use of out of the sideboard and maybe a Forest vs. Wasteland. It has to be said that I got extremely favourable match-ups avoiding any discard or control heavy decks. Lucky, given there were many Snapcaster Mage/Stoneforge Mystic decks in the tournament. Also, the only discard effects that I faced were Surgical Extraction and a nasty Earwig Squad. My hands, mulligans and draws were also decent and it seems the deck relies a fair amount on luck.

The four Force of Will are there to combat opposing Force of Will and counters, as I cannot use Pact of Negation because of the Chalice of the Void @ 0 and Multani's Presence combination. Tutors to be considered in the main deck would be either Diabolic Intent or to replace one of the Bayou with a Tropical Island and use Personal Tutor. For a new sideboard I am considering using Pithing Needle vs. Wasteland and maybe Cabal Therapy, Autumn's Veil, Xantid Swarm, Nature's Claim.

Feedback and criticism is most welcome.

Dec 2006
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by KidA View Post
    Finished 3rd in a 57 man tournament (going 5-1) with this Cheerios list
    xDD
    Congratulations!

With only 4 blue cards (the 4 FOW), do you find 2 of them enough times to remove a blue card?
    Perhaps Autumn's Veil could be a better choice

The four Force of Will are meant for when you have already drawn your entire deck, so that you have all four in your hand ready for if they try to counter your Songs of the Damned or Tendrils of Agony.

This was not a problem yesterday as the only deck I faced with counters was re-animator and the U/B infect deck sided some Spell Pierce, but did not draw them in time.

The four Force of Will could be replaced with one Forest and three Autumn's Veil, or maybe four Cabal Therapy. These slots I am not so sure about. Not sure about the sideboard either.

Maybe go with something like this

4 Kobolds of Kher Keep
    4 Crimson Kobolds
    4 Crookshank Kobolds
    4 Memnite
    4 Ornithopter
    4 Phyrexian Walker
    4 Shield Sphere

4 Glimpse of Nature
    4 Multani's Presence
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Songs of the Damned
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    3 Autumn's Veil

4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Bayou
    1 Forest

//Sideboard
    3 Beastmaster Ascension
    4 Nature's Claim
    4 Pithing Needle
    4 ????
    Last edited by KidA; 10-19-2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: New decklist added

Dec 2006
    Spain

If your opponent is smart enough, he would try to counter Glimpse, not Tendrils :P

Dec 2006
    Spain

If your opponent is smart enough, he would try to counter Glimpse, not Tendrils :P

I've been playing it online a bit and have some decent vids posted on Youtube. Search for magiclovr or mtg legacy cheeri0s and you should find it.

At least +1 mox opal. I played a retract and riddlesmith list ( for storming more, maybe a good idea but it depend ), and with also Frogmite *3 or *4.

My 2 ct

Re: Cheeri0s update (new sideboard)

Just an update on the list as I've been playing it quite a bit online and have tuned it to a list that I'm pretty comfortable on right now. New Phyrexia and Avacyn Restored added a few goodies that help the deck out and here's the list I'm running currently:

Fuel:
    4 Kobolds of Kher Keep
    4 Crimson Kobolds
    4 Crookshank Kobolds
    4 Memnite
    4 Ornithopter
    4 Phyrexian Walker
    4 Shield Sphere
    4 Skyshroud Cutter
    1 Signal Pest

Combo:
    4 Glimpse of Nature
    3 Personal Tutor
    1 Scapegoat
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Beastmaster Ascension

Mana:
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    1 Forest
    1 Savannah
    1 Taiga
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Verdant Catacomb

Sideboard: Since this is about as fast as any combo out there, the SB is geared mainly to beat control. Thanks to the Noxious Revivals, it does have decent splash hate against Reanimator/Dredge.
    3 Beastmaster Ascension
    1 Sprout Swarm
    4 Noxious Revival
    4 Xantid Swarm
    3 Signal Pest

Basically the plan is to transform from combo to aggro beatdown with the extra Ascensions and Pests. The Sprout Swarm does come in handy as well as it can clog up a board and keep giving you chumpers for goyfs until you find business. The Revivals are great at giving you extra chances to glimpse if it gets countered/Thoughtseized away. They also are fun to bring in against Dredge (on the draw) as they can mulligan to Cabal Therapy and strip you of Glimpses. Works well against reanimator by sticking Griselbrand back onto their library when they attempt to Exhume.

Concerning the "transformational" part of your SB, what do you take out when you bring in the beatdown stuff?

what about adding battle hymn+banefire , making ridicolous amounts of mana for the win?

Cheeri0s (28)
    4 crookshank kobolds
    4 memnite
    4 shiled sphere
    4 Phyrexian Walker
    4 Ornithopter
    4 Kobolds of Kher Keep
    4 Crimson Kobolds

Combo peices (14)
    4 Glimpse of Nature
    4 Multani's Presence
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    mana producers (10)
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 wild cantor

The kill (2)
    1 Songs of the Damned
    1 Tendrils of Agony

Mana (6)
    4 Misty rainforest
    2 savanna
    1 Forest

I just picked the deck up and was wondering what everyone thinks about this list.

Edit i put the PHP aound the cards and it did not work, so i removed them to make it more visible.

I'm a bit confused about why you opted for the fetchland package over something like a rainbow manabase. I feel like you'd probably be less vulnerable with City of Brass/Gemstone mines since I don't see you using your mana sources much more than your combo turns.

I didn't see land grant so I assume you cut it out because it is a weakness because if you rely on it and it tanks a force you tend to lose.

If you're going for a beatdown package, why wouldn't you run a single Concordant Crossroads, Burst of Speed or even a Goblin Bushwhacker?

If you are really trying to show-off, use Mortal Combat as kill ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Cybey View Post
    If you're going for a beatdown package, why wouldn't you run a single Concordant Crossroads, Burst of Speed or even a Goblin Bushwhacker?

If you are really trying to show-off, use Mortal Combat as kill ;)
    I have acually looked into Goblin Bushwhacker and signel pest as a one of in the deck, they are general usless 99% of the time.

I do like the idea of the ranbow lands though, Even though they do not thin my deck, it would nice to not have to warry about what land to get.

Thread Information