Thread: Necrotic Ooze top 8 in Italy

Trample, Haste
    Mar 2009
    Italy

Necrotic Ooze top 8 in Italy

I brought my Necrotic Ooze to a legacy tournament in Udine Italy yesterday. Unfortunately some players were missing because of other tournaments at less than 100 km distance and so we were just 39. As a side note, the meta was full of combo decks!

Here is the list I played:

Lands: 16

2 Island
    2 Swamp
    4 Underground Sea
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Marsh Flats

Creatures: 4

1 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Triskelion
    1 Aquamoeba

Spells: 40

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual

4 Buried Alive
    4 Reanimate
    2 Shallow Grave

4 Force of Will
    4 Thoughtseize

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Lim Dul's Vault
    2 Personal Tutor

SB: 15

4 Pithing Needle
    1 Duress
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Wipe Away
    3 Doomsday
    1 Shelldock Isle
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Cloud of Faeries
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

Round 1: Opa with Enchantress

G1: He is a friend and he gave me a drive to the tournament. We both know the opponents deck and I know the MU is in my favour so I keep a hand with lots of cantrips, a Force and some lands. I win the die roll and start with Ponder. He then leads with Wild Growth. I fetch, cantrip and pass. He does something and I combo next turn.

G2: Since he boards Leyline of Sancticity I board in Doomsday, but leave the main combo in. We both Mull and he starts with Mirri and I start with ponder. In the following turns he gets a Leyline in play and I can go for DD or Buried Alive + Reanimate. Since I forgot I boarded in Iona (last minute change) I go for Doomsday. He then fetches a Sterling Grove for Runed Halo, I shuffle his deck and he checks with Mirri. (At the end of the match he showed me the top 3 cards: Runed Halo, Pithing Needle, Sterling Grove). Nice one! My hand consisted of an Echoing Truth, and some useless spells and had 3 Lands in play. My DD pile:
    Brainstorm, Shelldock Isle, Faerie, Echoing Truth, Emrakul. I pass the turn, he lands Runed Halo naming Emrakul and Pithing Needle Naming Shelldock. I bounce Needle EoT. I then Brainstorm, play the usual stuff and get an extra turn. Bounce runed halo and attack with Emrakul + Faerie. I annichilate his board and he has just 1 land in play. GG.

win: 2-0

Round 2: Riccardo with Spiral Tide

G1: I have played against this guy months ago and he used to play goblins. He wins the die and starts with Island, Preordain. I play land Ponder. He plays another Island and passes. I thoughtseize and combo off on turn 3, with Force Backup.

G2: He starts same as G1. I start with Thoughtseize, discard something and pass. I play some more discard and combo easily. I boarded in Iona, but went through the "normal combo" because it was faster. In both ways it was GG.

Round 3: Andrea with ANT

G1: He starts fetch pass. I start with Undergound Sea, Thoughtseize and discard his LED. He plays a land and a Top in his turn, I go Dark Ritual, Buried alive and pass. He tries to combo on turn 3, but I counter his Infernal Tutor and he broke LED so he has no cards in hand. I draw counters and Thoughtseize in my turns, but no tutor, cantrips, or reanimate. I thoughtseize him when he has 2 cards in hand, discard something and pass. I finally draw a Lim Dul's Vault and play it EoT. I find a Shallow Grave. He plays Silence before my draw step. I draw, play land and pass. Before his draw I play Shallow Grave and win.

G2: He starts with land, top. I Ponder. Don't remembre the rest of the game, but I have the combo in the GY probably on turn 3 and play Lim Dul's Vault befor my draw step. I go to 10 looking for Shallow Grave and combo off in his turn.

win 2-0

Round 4: Mauro with Zenit- Ban

G1: He is a friend I playtested against on Thursday. He starts, land go. I land pass. He plays a Goyf. I play personal tutor and pass. He attacks with goyf and plays a land. Draw my Buried Alive and he plays Vendillion Clique. I force, he Forces. He takes Buried Alive. I the try to combo aff again but he counters, I counter back. I finally resolve Buried Alive, he attacks and puts me on 1, but I have Necrotic Ooze in hand. I play it and he Forces Again. In this game he kept a hand with 2 Force of Will, 2 Daze, 2 Pierce and 1 land.

G2: In this game I play 3 ponders and 3 brainstorms with fetches in play. Never see anything useful to combo. He wins easily.

loss: 0-2

Round 5: Dello with GW Maverick

G1: I know what he is playing and I have a favourable MU, but I also know he has NO and can race me. I combo off on turn 2 or 3.

G2: He plays Pithing Needle on Necrotic Ooze. I then go for Iona. It's my third turn and he is at 20, while I'm at 10 after a Fetch and Reanimating Iona. I think, on the color to name. I name green because he has some small creatures (Noble and Dryad Arbor) because I think he is going for NO next turn and I think he boarded out Swords. Obviously he did the opposite (at the end of the match he showed me he left in Swords and boarded out NO). I lose.

G3: He keeps his 7 and I mull to 5. I think I already lost, but I open a god hand and combo off on my second turn.

win 2-1

Round 6: Enrico with Landstill

G1: I know I have a good Mu against him, but I offer him to ID to get into top 8 easily. I have 12 points and he has 11, so he tells me he has to win. I tell him that he might get in if he gets luck with 12 points, but another player tells him it's very unlikely. We play it. I have a good MU against Landstill and also win the die roll. Combo easily in the first 3 turns.

G2: We both mull and he boarded in Counterbalance, but with only one blue land in hand and some off color lands. I win easily again.

I finish the swiss at 15 points in first position!

Top 8 decks:

1 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Jace Landeed
    1 Spiral Tide
    1 Zenit Bant (opponent of round 4)
    1 Imperial Painter
    1 Supreme Blue
    1 GW Maverick (opponent of round 5)
    1 Merfolk

I obviously het the worst of these MU's.

Top 8: Lena with Merfolk.

G1: He starts with Island pass. I keep a hand with 2 Buried Alive, 2 Reanimate, 1 Dark Ritual and 2 Lands. I try to combo off on my secound turn to avoid Daze, but he forces. I fail to find a 3rd land to play Buried Alive again, after drawing Thoughtseize and brainstorm. Lose because I'm 1 mana short.

G2: I mull to 6, he keeps. I open with Thoughtseize. He shows me his hand: 1 Tormod, 1 Relic, 1 Force, 1 Daze, 1 Lord of Atlantis, 1 Coralhelm, 1 Island. I take, Relic and have a Pithing Needle in Hand. He plays Island + tormod and passes. In the following turns he draws all he needs: second land, then standstill, the other merfolk and I lose.

lose: 0-2

I end up 5th, but I really enjoyed the tournament and the deck.

Now as promised on Saturday to a friend I will write a report at the italian way. The italians usually write reports without putting the decklist, so it's hard to understand what they are talking about!

The week starts on Monday where I meet Giacomo, Opa and Diego at Giacomo's place. We think about playtesting, but we draft cube instead. I build an awsome UB artifact deck with Tezzeret.

On Thursday I meet Diego, Mauro and Pich at Diego's Place. We playtest. Note: 3 of us made top8 and Pich arrived 12th.

On Saturday I go out with my girlfriend and some friends. We have a great night and drink some "pezzetto". I get almost no sleep and on Sunday morning Igor wakes me up by calling my phone and telling me I'm late. I get ready very fast and meet Igor and Opa to go to the tournament. As usual a nice and long coffee break at the beginning of the highway.

Round 1: The MU is in my favour

Round 2: I'm just better

Round 3: My deck is faster

Round 4: He lucksacks

Round 5: Is that even a real deck?

Round 6: He has no chance

Top 8: I get unlucky

Did you enjoy the "italian" report? I really hate them!!

Now for the end... I'm writing to much.

PROPS:

The location
    My deck
    Diego and Mauro for both doing top 8 since we playtested Thursday
    The Barmaid
    Opa and Igor for the great drive as usual
    The CUBE
    Giacomo for his suggestions and getting him to come at the next tournament

SLOPS:

Pich for playtesting on thursday and not doing top8
    Giulio for changing deck every week and then going 3-3
    Enrico for not accepting ythe ID. He would have gotten in as 8th for rating
    The prizes

Team Stimato

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    He told you a foil from Time Spiral was Summer?
    This man must be a Jedi.

Island, go!
    Jun 2009
    Golden Gate Bridge, USA

Re: Necrotic Ooze top 8 in Italy

Congrats on the finish. Did Iona make any difference in the SB? Most of the time Emrakul is just better.

Trample, Haste
    Mar 2009
    Italy

Iona was a SB test, a plan B when not going for DD. It's useful against Needle on Ooze. Not sure it's the right choice though.

It has different uses than Emrakul. Emrakul is not a reanimation target. (Except from Shallow Grave, but you know what I mean).
    Team Stimato

This man must be a Jedi.

They call me a slob, but I do my job...
    Sep 2009
    Back to the city by the sea, blowin' in the wind, fighting with hordes of retired people

Congrats for your result and bonus points for keeping your word and making the Italian style report! Go, Stimato Ooze! Back to my Ph.D. talk, me!
    Team Stimato Ezio: You're off the team!

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
    -Kierkegaard

Grats bro. Who's that Pich ? xD

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Congrats man! Love the detail in the report. Way to Carry the Ooze flag. This deck is retardedly strong and I'm confused why no one else is playing it. CheerS!

Trample, Haste
    Mar 2009
    Italy

Yes, the deck is retardedly strong! It's just unfair and has a good MU against combo that is rising again.

I would like to have space for 3 Spell Pierce or 3 Daze MD, but unfortunately I don't want to cut anythging for consistency.

Maybe if we get the deck to Enstablished more people will play it..
    Team Stimato

This man must be a Jedi.

Congrats on the finish! Nice to see other Ooze players doing well. Doomsday SB definitely seems to be a valid strategy. :)

Bounce runed halo and attack with Emrakul + Faerie.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, BUT

AFAIK, Runed Halo does not prevent declaration of attackers, and annihilator trigger does not target a player. Therefore, supposing that the opponent had 6 or less permanents in play, there was no need to play the bounce spell (win-more). Although, if the opponent had more than 6 permanents, I can see why you would prefer to fasten your clock by 1 turn.

Trample, Haste
    Mar 2009
    Italy

He had more than 6 permanetnts on the table, therefore to win I needed to bounce it.
    Team Stimato

This man must be a Jedi.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

I'm really interested into this deck, and this report really gives some insight on how deck plays and side choices. Anyway, I'd never use Doomsday in a Mtg game. I really think I'd rather continue studying at university instead :).
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Trample, Haste
    Mar 2009
    Italy

@Karhumies: Actually thought about it and he had 8 permanents because after I bounced Runed Halo and attacked he was left with 1 land in play. And playing DD leaves you just the right numer of cards to win without being decked.

@Kiblast: Glad the report was interesting. If you have some questions please ask! Anyways DD is just a SB option and not always necessary. Actually the right choice against Enchantress would have been reanimating Iona, but I forgot I sided her in..
    Team Stimato

This man must be a Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by pippo84 View Post
    ... playing DD leaves you just the right numer of cards to win without being decked.
    If you have one of the 5 cards (Brainstorm, Fearies, Isle, bounce, Emrakul) in hand when you cast DD, you can add a second DD into the pile as a replacement just to prevent you from decking by casting DD #2 to put the gy back into the library (supposing you have BBB available after DD #1, of course - which is not always the case). In your report, this was not the case, but it is nevertheless an option e.g. against opposing life gain (31+ life).

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

@ Kiblast, want to play a 2-card combo deck with Force and basic lands? This is the deck for you. If you don't like the doomsday package, you can play the Show and Tell emrakul package. I play 4 Show, 3 Emmy, 1 Blazing Archon, 1 Terastodon. You dodge all grave hate/needle effects this way and LDV+ Personal are great tutors. Cheers!

Thread Information