Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8th at SCG LA with Belcher and undefeated in the swiss. A long Report.

Aug 2010
    Clifton Park, NY

Re: 8th at SCG LA with Belcher and undefeated in the swiss. A long Report.

Great job on the top 8, and amazing report. Probably the most fun report I've ever read, though Bryant Cook's from GP Columbus last year was close.

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

This is what a tournament report should be! Congrats.
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

Reading this makes me wish I was old enough to understand how insane of a person you were when you were in Michigan.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

When it became directed more at me than my deck I considered responding, but I decided against it even when my opponent told me I would be the cause of him never playing another sanctioned game of magic and offering to sell me his deck. I wondered to myself why I would want to buy a slower and less pleasant combo deck, when I already had one that I really appreciated, but I figured he was not the sort to have answers to that sort of question and I choked it down with a few more sips from the flask
    At this point I realize that the villains I came to slay are surprisingly nice guys, the sort of guys you actually might let date your sister or that your girlfriend’s parents might be happy to see come to dinner, and once again I am left questioning whether or not I am the true monster.
    Super good read, you sir are a natural at writing reports :D

The only thing I gathered aside from you having a blast, doing well, and getting drunk is 'dodging' FoW all the way (Except Solidarity) and finally meeting your worst nemesis FoW against Breakfast. Lol.

Good job!
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Jun 2010
    Encino, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by AriLax View Post
    Reading this makes me wish I was old enough to understand how insane of a person you were when you were in Michigan.
    Ha ha yeah it was a long time ago, you were still fresh in coming up when I was full of madness and mayhem. Its pretty awesome to see how successful you have been with things.

The only thing I gathered aside from you having a blast, doing well, and getting drunk is 'dodging' FoW all the way (Except Solidarity) and finally meeting your worst nemesis FoW against Breakfast. Lol.
    To be fair, I still resolved belcher against breakfast even after two force of wills in a deck that has a blue count of about seventeen... I just missed after that. So I lost game one not to FOW but to missing with belcher and getting combo'd. Game two I mulled to five and lost it to the FOW but only because he went off on three... if game one was a hit like it had been all day the FOW wouldnt have really mattered, or if like solidarity he would not have gone off so quick it would have been less relevant. I lost more to the combo aspect than the control part. If I beat him game one from not missing with my cannon I would have been on the play game three and would have boarded in the rest of the xantid swarms and still had a reasonable chance.

And besides, the great thing about legacy is that the format is not full of FOW, like vintage, and the opportunity to exploit it is definitely out there.

A few weeks before this event I top 8d a fifty+ tourney where I faced FOW many times including round one, where I won a game after a turn one FOW and in turn six was facing countertop, used three different mana spells and still managed to fire. I dont pretend FOW doesnt matter, but I also dont think it outright wins. Its definitely better when it follows up with a combo.

I had so much fun playing this tournament I cant wait for the next one I get to play in. If for no other reason than to write another tournament report.

As an aside, there was a point where I saw kibler and sullivan both standing near mr. froeligh that I played and I told some friends that if a fourth one of my opponents joined the group I would have no choice but to believe that they were forming a posse and coming for me and I would certainly need to preemptively strike. Fortunately it never came to that, and I kept all my crusading to match wins.

Jun 2010
    Encino, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by JACO View Post
    This is what a tournament report should be! Congrats.
    Thanks man. Glad you enjoyed the report.

Mar 2010
    East L.A.

Also great quotes, check sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingitouchdies
    We dont let drug laden fiends and swine come marching in and take our shit. We send them home with the memory of the monsters and vigilantes that curb stomped their dreams and threatened to animate their dead grandmother for a black and a colorless. No fucking around in LA.

Jun 2010
    Encino, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by PanderAlexander View Post
    Also great quotes, check sig.
    Thats awesome. Even more so because I have zero recollection of actually writing it. I had to go back and read my report.

Oct 2010
    Ventura, CA

I can see you've already gotten some praise for your writing abilities, but I couldn't resist joining the chorus.

Seriously a damn good read, you've got talent.

and Congrats on the top 8!

Thread Information