Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meandeck Open - Columbus, Ohio - 5/1/2011

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Meandeck Open - Columbus, Ohio - 5/1/2011

WHAT: Sanctioned Legacy Tournament, $20 Entry, Swiss + Cut to Top 8

WHEN: The store opens at 10:30 AM, Registration starts at 11:30 AM. The Tournament will begin at 12:00 Noon sharp.

WHERE: The Soldiery, 4256 N. High Street, Columbus, Ohio 43214

PRIZE STRUCTURE: Cash payout. 80% of entry will be put into the prize pool.

Prize structure is now attendance-dependant!

28+ Players:

1st Place: 40% of Prize Pool
    2nd Place: 20% of Prize Pool
    3rd Place: 10% of Prize Pool
    4th Place: 10% of Prize Pool
    5th-8th: 5% of prize pool each

Less than 28 Players:

1st Place: 50% of Prize Pool
    2nd Place: 25% of Prize Pool
    3rd Place: 12.5% of Prize Pool
    4th Place: 12.5% of Prize Pool

Also,

There will be on "free" $40 side event, if there are more than 28 players in attendance. If you drop from the main event, you may enroll in this side event, which will be single elimination. The money is taken from the prize pool.

If there are any questions, let me know! Any additional information that is requested will be added in this first post.

Thanks,

--M
    Last edited by Mark Sun; 04-27-2011 at 12:12 AM.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Re: Meandeck Open - Columbus, Ohio - 5/1/2011

Bump for everyone to see.

I'll be at this tournament. Who else is coming??

Oct 2010
    Athens, Ohio

Going to try and make this with a couple of friends.

Here's to hoping more than 8 people show up for this one.

A special note: There is a minimum $200 guaranteed payout, no matter the attendance!
    Also, payout at the last one was only $128 with 8 players.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Prkchpsndwiches View Post
    Here's to hoping more than 8 people show up for this one.
    I heard. Tragic news, I myself couldn't make it because of family issues, so I do apologize. I was busy around the time this date conveniently fell into my lap, so while previous accusations of me posting this announcement too late are technically true, the extra week of notice probably wouldn't have done anything, with people tired from traveling for Regionals (and the previous day's GPT).

You guys will have a new sherpa for this one too, as I forgot that it was the week of SCG Charlotte, which I do plan to attend at the moment.

Confound these ponies, they drive me to Brony.
    Nov 2007
    Rittman, OH

Hmm, I wonder if any Akron folks want to sling some Legacy and eat bd's on May 1st...
    Men yet not comprehending their stick in the scheme of the prey-on-prey ballet of ending day
    My eBay Auctions (art alterations! I FIXED THE LINK) - http://shop.ebay.com/yawg07/m.html

Legendary Zombie Assassin
    Aug 2010
    Canal Fulton, Oh

I am not knowing sir, but I would seriously consider it.

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

Having the store owner not hold true to the 'guaranteed prize support' really is telling as to the fate of these tournaments. If we want to continue these, I highly recommend we change venues, or look into renting a room in the convention center and hosting with a DCI reporter and a laptop. I understand stores need to make a profit, but when you guarantee prize and both the store owner and Smenendian fail to promote the event sufficiently, that falls upon the store owner to still make with the prize for those who do show. I personally would never attend another event at the soldiery if I scheduled time off work, built a deck for the event, and arranged for intra-city travel to make it to an event to find both the turnout low for lack of promotion, and the guaranteed prize support a lie. Hell, I am half tempted to report him to the DCI and I didn't even attend this tournament. Poor buisness and magic event organizer practice on the store owner's behalf.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Media314r8: When we got there they weren't sure if it was a vintage or legacy tournament and did not know the start time. : / In their defense they said they didn't even know there was going to be one until the day before. I've been to a few tourneys there before. They are well run for the most part.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Prkchpsndwiches View Post
    Media314r8: When we got there they weren't sure if it was a vintage or legacy tournament and did not know the start time. : / In their defense they said they didn't even know there was going to be one until the day before. I've been to a few tourneys there before. They are well run for the most part.
    There was a huge miscommunication (or rather, just lack of communication) that took place. I wasn't aware that the store hadn't received any hints that the Vintage tournament would be cancelled, as I figured a text message from Steve was coupled with him notifying the store itself. My fault for taking that fact for granted.

Anyways, something could be in the works to start hosting Lucksack Opens at Comic Town, check back later for that one I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid- View Post
    I heard. Tragic news, I myself couldn't make it because of family issues, so I do apologize. I was busy around the time this date conveniently fell into my lap, so while previous accusations of me posting this announcement too late are technically true, the extra week of notice probably wouldn't have done anything, with people tired from traveling for Regionals (and the previous day's GPT).

You guys will have a new sherpa for this one too, as I forgot that it was the week of SCG Charlotte, which I do plan to attend at the moment.
    Mark you asked me to make 4/17 Legacy at the previous Legacy tournament, remember ? ;)

I'll be at this one. It may be the last one for a while, so come enjoy Legacy in Columbus while you can.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Smmenen View Post
    Mark you asked me to make 4/17 Legacy at the previous Legacy tournament, remember ? ;)

I'll be at this one. It may be the last one for a while, so come enjoy Legacy in Columbus while you can.
    Sure did. You wanted it to be Vintage, so I was cool with it.

And oh, I don't think it's an "enjoy Legacy while you can" situation in Columbus. May be the last Meandeck Open for a while though.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid- View Post
    Sure did. You wanted it to be Vintage, so I was cool with it.
    Yeah, but I said I'd think about it...

And oh, I don't think it's an "enjoy Legacy while you can" situation in Columbus. May be the last Meandeck Open for a while though.
    That's true -- there are Legacy tournaments on Weds at Comictown too.

The one and only Incurable Ham
    Apr 2010
    Columbus, OH

Can anyone let me know which stores in the Cbus area have good legacy scenes? I haven't had time to play in any tourneys at all this year because of school, but I am interested in trying to find some time to go to some, if not this year then either over the summer or next year

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by TossUsToLions View Post
    Can anyone let me know which stores in the Cbus area have good legacy scenes? I haven't had time to play in any tourneys at all this year because of school, but I am interested in trying to find some time to go to some, if not this year then either over the summer or next year
    Comic Town
    1249 Morse Road
    Columbus, OH 43229

Weekly locals on Wednesday starting at 6:30 PM. Attendance ranges from 12 to 20+ depending on how busy people are. We'd love to have you.

I'd be coming from SE Michigan, but if I can know that previous events have gotten a good turnout I'd love to make the haul and participate.

Quote Originally Posted by a-slice-of-cake View Post
    I'd be coming from SE Michigan, but if I can know that previous events have gotten a good turnout I'd love to make the haul and participate.
    If it helps I know there are at least two from Cleveland going.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by a-slice-of-cake View Post
    With enough notice the attendance is usually in the mid-20's. There's been complaints about the structure, about the venue, about the staff, etc, that I don't have a ton of control over (read: none).

I've been talking to Comic Town, expect a bigger, cleaner venue in an easier to access place and a better structure (no side event, basically a unanimous choice between everyone) to support more $$ for the people who actually get to prize range. And of course, a higher attendance, as we'll pull back all the people that the Meandeck has been losing since last year.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Quote Originally Posted by yawg07 View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if any Akron folks want to sling some Legacy and eat bd's on May 1st...
    I'd love to, but I have two finals the next day. Although there is a chance one of them gets moved...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Thread Information