Thread: Permanents going to different zones

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Permanents going to different zones

This isn't a real card but since it's going to be part of our local custom cube, I might as well ask the would be FAQ that will come with this card:

Dee's Greaves (2)

Legendary Artifact - Equipment

Tap: Put equipped creature from the battlefield to another zone. If that creature was put into it's owner's library, shuffle that library. (Zones are Battlefield, Exiled, Graveyard, Hand, Library, and Stack. This equipment is unattached when this ability resolves.)

Equip (2)
    Alright, so far here are the questions that I can think of:

1) If the chosen zone was battlefield, is it worded so the equipped creature can go back to the battlefield?

2) If the chosen zone was stack, would the equipped creature need to 'resolve' again (and enter the battlefield again)? If that is so, can the equipped creature be countered? Would the additional cost clause of the creature trigger work (such as Kicker)?

3) If the chosen zone was graveyard, would the equipped creature be considered destroyed (would indestructibility prevent it from going to the graveyard)?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I get more possible questions (and answers) for this card.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Re: Permanents going to different zones

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    1) If the chosen zone was battlefield, is it worded so the equipped creature can go back to the battlefield?
    If an object would be moved from a zone to the same zone, nothing happens. You have it as "another zone", though, so battlefield is not a legal choice.

2) If the chosen zone was stack, would the equipped creature need to 'resolve' again (and enter the battlefield again)? If that is so, can the equipped creature be countered? Would the additional cost clause of the creature trigger work (such as Kicker)?
    Yes, yes, and no. It's on the stack so it's a spell and will resolve next time all players pass priority. It didn't get played, which is obviously the point at which you pay costs.

3) If the chosen zone was graveyard, would the equipped creature be considered destroyed (would indestructibility prevent it from going to the graveyard)?
    No, it just changed zones. Permanents aren't destroyed unless a card or rule specifically says "destroy" (the rule for lethal damage says "destroy").
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

What about animated lands such as Mutavault? If an equipped animated Mutavault was put in the stack zone, what exactly happens?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Has anyone seen my pants?
    Aug 2009
    Towanda, PA

It would enter play as if you just played it. (Not animated and untapped)
    Skizzik No Kicker. Like a true retard.

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    Honestly, I wonder if I just decided to play the format with the most whiney players or if every format is like this.

There's no way in real Magic for a land to end up on the stack - such things are carefully avoided.

However, the rules could handle it - a spell is "a card on the stack". If you manage to put a land on the stack, it's a spell, and would resolve (and could be countered like) any other spell.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information