Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Depths vs Wasteland?

Aug 2011
    Atlanta, GA

Dark Depths vs Wasteland?

Suppose you're playing with Dark Depths and also running 4 living wishes. What would be the best answer in your sideboard to a wasteland that just hit the board? My deck is BGW (Junk), so no Stifles...

Epic Fizzle
    Feb 2007
    River Falls, Wi

Re: Dark Depths Questions

Play a dual, let them waste that...

Wasteland their Wasteland before playing Depths, or wait until they tap out.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Pithing Needle. No need to get fancy with cards that only work in that situation. Needle deals with Wastland, Jace, and I'm sure quite a few other things that can deal with Depths or Marit Lage.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Re: Dark Depths vs Wasteland?

If you have Hexmage in play and can resolve the second Hexmage the opponent will have to activate the Wasteland either with Hexmage on stack or allow you to sac both Hexmages, the 2nd in response to the Wasteland activation which was in response to the first Hexmage activation.

If you can land Hexmage and DD in play you can play your own Wasteland and they can't respond to it forcing them to activate their Waste or you activate your Waste and then use Hexmage in response to their activation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    Teferi's Response

Edit: Fuck, I just noticed the BWG requirement. Splash blue.

Quote Originally Posted by MtgPhreakin View Post
    Suppose you're playing with Dark Depths and also running 4 living wishes. What would be the best answer in your sideboard to a wasteland that just hit the board? My deck is BGW (Junk), so no Stifles...
    You don't need any of the shit given above, your sideboard should have 1 Dark Depths and 1 Hexmage. If they manage to destroy 1 part of the combo, L-Wish for the other piece. Period.

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

Wish for a wasteland or a second hexmage, either one should be in your board already and both will trump a single opposing wasteland. Alternately if those arent available you can bait his wasteland with dark depths then wish up a second copy from your board.

EDIT: damn ninjas are Sic!

2nd Hexmage doesn't interact against Wasteland at all. They wait until the Dark Depths 0 counters trigger is on the stack and destroy it. You can't sacrifice it as it is already deck, ergo no 20/20.
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    Until I can play storm perfectly, I have not played it enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kibler
    Funny enough I was 18 once too. It was sweet, but being me now is way sweeter.

Grim Discovery is pretty good in most B/G/x variants running the Hexmage-Depths combo, although you obviously cannot Living Wish for it. Some other options:

Petrified Field: Good with Life from the Loam or destroyed Depths.
    Bind: Always loved this card; might be worth testing and can be multilateral.
    Sacred Ground: A little narrow, but if you're running White it could be a cute way to ensure Wasteland will never get the job done (although you still need to get Hexmage back in business).

Most of the other choices people have mentioned are obviously worth exploring.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Grim Discovery is pretty good in most B/G/x variants running the Hexmage-Depths combo, although you obviously cannot Living Wish for it. Some other options:

Petrified Field: Good with Life from the Loam or destroyed Depths.
    Bind: Always loved this card; might be worth testing and can be multilateral.
    Sacred Ground: A little narrow, but if you're running White it could be a cute way to ensure Wasteland will never get the job done (although you still need to get Hexmage back in business).

Most of the other choices people have mentioned are obviously worth exploring.
    I lot of people actually suggested bind in BG, but its hard to find that 4 slots to replace it with.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Most Depths lists play G, so why not just run the old fashioned answer, Crop Rotation. Cheap, versatile, instant speed, and even helps you find it in the first place if you need one.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by AriLax View Post
    2nd Hexmage doesn't interact against Wasteland at all. They wait until the Dark Depths 0 counters trigger is on the stack and destroy it. You can't sacrifice it as it is already deck, ergo no 20/20.
    2nd Hexmage does interact. You play the 2nd with the first in play, pop the first, they use Wasteland, pop the 2nd with the Waste activation on stack?
    Respect my shine bitch!

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by menace13 View Post
    2nd Hexmage does interact. You play the 2nd with the first in play, pop the first, they use Wasteland, pop the 2nd with the Waste activation on stack?
    What he's saying is, they let the first Hexmage remove the counters, Dark Depth's trigger goes on the stack, then they Waste it. There's no counters for a second Hexmage to remove in that scenario and Dark Depths isn't on the battlefield to be sacrificed when its trigger tries to resolve.
    Monday Night Magic: http://rfimd2000.tripod.com/images/mnm/mondaynight.htm

Team
    Left
    Field

just play volraths and loam.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    What he's saying is, they let the first Hexmage remove the counters, Dark Depth's trigger goes on the stack, then they Waste it. There's no counters for a second Hexmage to remove in that scenario and Dark Depths isn't on the battlefield to be sacrificed when its trigger tries to resolve.
    Ahh, you guys are correct. Just saw that. In That case Only answer would be is Wasteland on their Wasteland forcing them to use it before the 0 counters trigger.
    Respect my shine bitch!

There's always Pyramids.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    There's always Pyramids.

Nice... : ) Heh. I'd kill to see that one flop out on the table.

Thread Information