View Poll Results: Are there too many different combo decks in Legacy?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 15.66%
  • No

140 84.34%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are there too many different combo decks in Legacy?

Re: Are there too many different combo decks in Legacy?

On the one hand, a diverse format is awesome.

On the other, I hate combo.

So yes and no.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by nwong View Post
    On the one hand, a diverse format is awesome.

On the other, I hate combo.

So yes and no.
    The best way to solve this problem is to join the dark side and play it yourself. Come on over, we've got jackets.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Right now the format is fluctuating, something that makes it more appealing. I love to see how Tier 1.5 decks can make a place into the top 8s. That's what really makes the format healthy.

And is curious how winning with aggro seems more legit than winning with combo.

Having lots of combo decks makes sense with them boarding the tops, as no one can SB effectively against all of them.

Regards.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    The best way to solve this problem is to join the dark side and play it yourself. Come on over, we've got jackets.
    + .5

The best way to solve the combo problem is to play it yourself to LEARN HOW TO BEAT IT. If you really want to be good at magic (which I am not...) then learn how to master each pillar of the format (aggro, control, combo) and even delve into the sub-types (tempo, aggro/combo, combo/control, sligh, mid-range aggro/control). Why do this? You can confidently play any type of deck and perform well based on experience. Some of the best players in the world sometimes bring the 'wrong' deck to a tournament...and STILL finish well because of playskill (although if they finish well, wouldn't that make a deck the 'right' deck to bring? I'm retarded....)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I personally wouldn't mind a couple more viable combo decks, and I play all types. I think it's a tremendous part of what makes the game so fun to play in general...

I also love carefully poring over old, forgotten cards every time a new set is released hoping to find a new key that suddenly works with a new card. Some completely unused thing (like Didgeridoo, etc.) It never happens for me obviously as the starting pool of new cards from each new set that are legacy-capable are so few, and some other [smarter] person would almost definitely beat me to the punch... but I still love that shit.

Combo can be annoying, and it can feel "unfair," but the bottom line is the game wouldn't be what it is without its presence.

Thread Information