Page 542 of 645 FirstFirst ... 42442492532538539540541542543544545546552592642 ... LastLast
Results 10,821 to 10,840 of 12895

Thread: Miracle Control

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Re: [DTB] Miracle Control

Quote Originally Posted by December View Post
    This is the latest BDM list that I have been using to great success locally and am bringing to EW:

Spells (32)
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Sensei’s Divining Top
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Counterbalance
    4 Force of Will
    3 Terminus
    1 Engineered Explosives

Creatures (9)
    4 Monastery Mentor
    3 Spell Queller
    2 Snapcaster Mage

Lands (19)
    4 Island
    2 Plains
    2 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Arid Mesa

SIDEBOARD
    1 Disenchant
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Flusterstorm
    3 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Moat
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Null Rod
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    The MD is unconventional, but seems good at least.

What is happening with the SB here? You are playing 3 sulfur elementals and 2 moats with a mentor-centric shell. Null rod in miracles? Why would play one of the best hate cards against us in your deck? Crypt is also sub-optimal in a deck like miracles, when there are much better options like relic, surgical or RIP. Etutor is just bad in general as it is card disadvantage, and not needed in a deck with 16 cantrips.

Sulfur Elemental is great in the mirror, Split Second makes it uncounterable and when it's in play they can't blast it or play their mentors so you can usually kill them fast while they look at their stranded Disenchants (Since you boarded out Counterbalance of course).
    If your opponents are bringing in disenchants and out CB in the mirror, its no wonder you are doing ok with sulfer elementals.

Sulfer is ok in the mirror. The uncounterable part is cool. But is a very lose-less card:
    - It does not get you out of CB lock. You are still way behind.
    - It makes mentor slightly less bonkers. Instead of getting infinite 5/5, they just get 1 6/4. You are still behind here.
    - It dies to snaps/cliques and provides card disadvantage in this trade.

So sulfer is ok in the mirror and good against D&T and maverick, while being useless against basically all other decks.

I wonder if he boards out Mentor and flies over with the Spell Quellers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    What is happening with the SB here? You are playing 3 sulfur elementals and 2 moats with a mentor-centric shell. Null rod in miracles? Why would play one of the best hate cards against us in your deck? Crypt is also sub-optimal in a deck like miracles, when there are much better options like relic, surgical or RIP. Etutor is just bad in general as it is card disadvantage, and not needed in a deck with 16 cantrips.
    Relic is too expensive to use during the same turn if you cast enlightened tutor for it during the upkeep. It's also possible I should cut the Enlightened Tutors but buying 2 more moats are quite expensive so I don't think I want to do that without testing first.

Regarding Null Rod it's a classic sideboard card against decks like storm, and I'm not the first to use it, just look here at this list. But if you don't like Enlightened Tutor it gets worse and could just be a Aegis of the Gods since that's also good against storm and other black decks.

I trust that the owners of BDM knew what they were doing when they put monastery mentor into the deck so I'm not cutting it only because it can't attack with a moat out.

Thanks for the feedback! I will take it into consideration!

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Relic is too expensive to use during the same turn if you cast enlightened tutor for it during the upkeep. It's also possible I should cut the Enlightened Tutors but buying 2 more moats are quite expensive so I don't think I want to do that without testing first.

Regarding Null Rod it's a classic sideboard card against decks like storm, and I'm not the first to use it, just look here at this list. But if you don't like Enlightened Tutor it gets worse and could just be a Aegis of the Gods since that's also good against storm and other black decks.

I trust that the owners of BDM knew what they were doing when they put monastery mentor into the deck so I'm not cutting it only because it can't attack with a moat out.

Thanks for the feedback! I will take it into consideration!
    Null rod is a great card against storm... and against miracles. Top is much better against storm (in our deck) than null rod is. If you want an etutor target against storm, just get balance. Cannonist is also an option. Playing null rod in miracles is like adding a tropical island and choke to the SB.

I do not think you should cut mentor, I think you should cut moat and sulfer elemental.

Cannonist is also an option.
    I don't think Cannonist is very good with Monastery Mentor, and I play 4 preordain in order to cast multiple spells each turn.

I do not think you should cut mentor, I think you should cut moat and sulfer elemental.
    Moat is a great card against creatures without flying, and I don't think Sulfer Elemental is good enough against Eldrazi or Elves where moat shines.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

I don't think Cannonist is very good with Monastery Mentor, and I play 4 preordain in order to cast multiple spells each turn.
    I am going to assume this sarcasm or you have just been trolling this time. Either way, I'll stop giving advice now.

I am going to assume this sarcasm or you have just been trolling this time. Either way, I'll stop giving advice now.
    I'm sorry if my list seems unconventional, or if my replies were not what you wanted to hear, but I have tested it a lot around here and the surprise factor is certainly worth something. I have no ill-intentions and did not wish to anger you, I appreciate your advice and I wish you all the luck in the upcoming eternal weekend! How is your latest list, and how do you deal with eldrazi without moat?

Quote Originally Posted by BDM4lyfe View Post
    Hey guys, I'm excited to begin getting involved in the conversation. I have recently had a lot of success with the "BDM" list (4 Mentor). Sort of concerned about Prelate and new Death and Taxes, and I'm wondering if people have been testing more Kozilek's Returns and Staticasters. I see in the last couple pages there was some discussion about which is better... But I am thinking that generally we probably need to run at least one.
    What's your most recent list?

Jul 2010
    twitch.tv/oarsman79

I take off to prepare for the PT for a bit and now we have a totally inane list being discussed. I don't even know what BDM stands for, but we appear to have...

Terminus and Spell Queller in the same list, as well as
    Null Rod and THREE different cards it shuts down
    a playset of Mentors along with a pair of Moats
    a singleton Flusterstorm
    AND three Sulfur Elementals!

What happened in the metagame to cause all this?

Quote Originally Posted by oarsman View Post
    I take off to prepare for the PT for a bit and now we have a totally inane list being discussed. I don't even know what BDM stands for, but we appear to have...

a singleton Flusterstorm

When you put it that way it does indeed seem a slight bit worse. But keep in mind that I can rarely have all those things in play at the same time since my opponent is not a goldfish.

It's possible that I should add Venser, Shaper Savant and Karakas to serve as a drawbridge over the moat, that way I can play Venser to bounce the moat during my opponents end of turn, untap, cast spells to trigger mentor, attack and then replay the moat to stay safe.

I have had some trouble in the mirror lately, and I have concluded that it often comes down to either Sensei's Divining Top or Counterbalance, and that I don't often lose to Jace because I can punish them if they tap out for such an expensive card at sorcery speed with either Spell Queller or Monastery Mentor. Have anyone here tested Annul in the sideboard?

Apr 2015
    Vancouver, Canada

Here's the mana base I've been playing recently. Nothing out of he ordinary: 20 lands, 10 fetches, 4 duals, 2 Plains, 0 Mountain. I recently added a mountain to my sideboard to being in agains wasteland decks and have been really liking it, however, I wish I could get that spot back in my sideboard.

Lands:20
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Island
    2 Plains
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island

My question is: Is it feasible to go -1 Volc +1 Mountain main? I want two plains. I want one mountain...

a singleton Flusterstorm

They changed the Standard rotation schedule, and the prolonged legality of Spell Queller incentivized players like December to test it in Miracles.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

PSA For any player new to miracles.

You probably are not the first person to think of some card that we could be playing in our SB. There's a good reason behind the card choices in most successful lists.

Before you post your reinvention of a wheel here, do some combination of the following:
    - Read Philipps primer (The concepts transcend the card choices): http://www.starcitygames.com/tags/Ph...-19/2016-10-19
    - Watch Oarsman's stream: https://www.twitch.tv/oarsman79/profile
    - Watch some past SCG coverage of miracles: http://www.mtgcoverage.com/
    - Play a few hundred games with a stock list

Miracles is complex and so is legacy. After doing these things you probably have a basic understanding of how the deck operates, and you will be much better with the archetype.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Thanks for posting that. Though I'm pretty sure they're just trolling, best not to feed them.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

a singleton Flusterstorm

BDM is the nearly perfect GP Columbus top 8 Mentor Miracles list popularized by Legacy genius and guru Wilson Hunter and his trusty sidekick Phillip Braverman.

Too tired to live, too lazy to die...
    Sep 2014
    On top of a mountain somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by prepare4robots View Post
    Here's the mana base I've been playing recently. Nothing out of he ordinary: 20 lands, 10 fetches, 4 duals, 2 Plains, 0 Mountain. I recently added a mountain to my sideboard to being in agains wasteland decks and have been really liking it, however, I wish I could get that spot back in my sideboard.

2 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Island
    2 Plains
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island

My question is: Is it feasible to go -1 Volc +1 Mountain main? I want two plains. I want one mountain...
    I have been testing with different mana bases recently and I have played with something similar.

Originally I tested:

2 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Mountain
    3 Tundra
    1 Volc

It didn't seem bad but I did get mana screwed a few times.

I then began testing:

1 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Mountain
    3 Tundra
    2 Volc

So far this settup has been pretty good for me.

Is there some reason why you are running two plains? Does your list run entreat or CJ? I think that I wouldn't want more than 2 non-blue sources. It would feel pretty bad to open a hand with all three non-blue basics + counterbalance or with Ponder as your only actionable card.

EDIT: mistake in the first mana base list.
    mise 'miz v alter. of might as well (1997) 1: to win when you don't deserve to 2: to top-deck the "tings" you need 3: to be rewarded by an opponent's bad luck 4: to coin a phrase that spreads through the tournament scene like wildfire 5: to fling a monkey 6: to split firewood using a sharp instrument 7: To burn

Apr 2015
    Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Misersoneof View Post
    I have been testing with different mana bases recently and I have played with something similar.

Originally I tested:

2 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Mountain
    3 Tundra
    1 Volc

It didn't seem bad but I did get mana screwed a few times.

I then began testing:

1 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Mountain
    3 Tundra
    2 Volc

So far this settup has been pretty good for me.

Is there some reason why you are running two plains? Does your list run entreat or CJ? I think that I wouldn't want more than 2 non-blue sources. It would feel pretty bad to open a hand with all three non-blue basics + counterbalance or with Ponder as your only actionable card.

EDIT: mistake in the first mana base list.

Exactly. I run 2 Mentor 1 Entreat 1 CJ 1 EE. I've considerd going switching the Entreat for another mentor, but I like having the threat diversity. I also really like CJ. That's the reason for two plains.

Jul 2010
    twitch.tv/oarsman79

Quote Originally Posted by BDM4lyfe View Post
    BDM is the nearly perfect GP Columbus top 8 Mentor Miracles list popularized by Legacy genius and guru Wilson Hunter and his trusty sidekick Phillip Braverman.
    Wilson, dude that's enough.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by prepare4robots View Post

2 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Island
    2 Plains
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island

I'm not playing any WW spells, so i'm less reliant on plains plains, but I've been playing a 2 tundra/2 volc, 4 island, mountain, plains, 10 fetches manabase and it's been excellent.

Thread Information