Page 456 of 645 FirstFirst ... 356406446452453454455456457458459460466506556 ... LastLast
Results 9,101 to 9,120 of 12895

Thread: Miracle Control

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Re: [DTB] Miracle Control

What meta do you expect? A lot of blue mirrors? If that's the case, a REB is also excellent.

don't really know for the meta: I went to this store once for FNM and encountered a lot of budget decks (monored sneak attack, burn, manaless dredge), but looking back at the top8s from the previous "win a dual" events, the meta seems to be tier 1-2 decks, at least for the top tables (http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=10125&f=LE). So I expect to be able to beat random decks + delver variations and shardless basically

Tested Narset in the SB and it was always kinda meh. Now I play the 2ww Gideon. He is kinda sweet. I board him in the mirror and vs discard decks, or other grindy MU where you just want a nice topdeck that can win on its own! Just smash 7 power on the board!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    Whom I worship, because I've really showed that... When? For playing ponder?

You don't want Liliana to go ultimate. You have Council's Judgement, Pithing Needle, Clique, Snapcasters and Mentors for that. You don't like Jace to resolve - You have Cspell and REB for that. You don't like Sylvan to stick, but you have Council's Judgement, Wear // Tear, Counterspell(/Spell Pierce) for that.

Pithing Needle is a beating, so is Null Rod - Which is why you board removal for these anyhow.

Yes, I advocate to board them all out. If your plan is, as most people prefer I guess, is to be a better control deck, then force is your worst card. If you want to blank Abrupt Decay, CBalance is terrible too. That's 8 cards:
    2 Vendilion Clique - Better at pressuring Planeswalkers
    2 Red Elemental Blast - Better vs Jace, Better vs Vision, Better vs Tar Pit.
    2 Flusterstorm - Better vs Discard, Visions, At protecting a Key terminus/Swords, Better at protecting a Jace from a FoW from them.
    2 Wear // Tear - Needed to deal with their hate for you: Needle, Null Rod, Sylvan Library, Night of Soul's Betrayal/Random hate for your mentors.

Then you can even sideboard stuff like -x, + Blood Moon if you want to, because Blood Moon just says "Fuck you, You don't get to play Magic anymore."
    Thank you for the reply.

What if I don't run a Pithing Needle? That means my only outs to Lili in particular are hoping I have one of my 2 CSpells or 1 Pierce (and hope they don't have 2 open mana) or my 1 Council's Judgment, or that I draw one of my 5 creatures (I'm not on Mentor), and since I board out CBs their Decays just protect her from my CMC ≤3 creatures. Would keeping in 1 FoW and taking out the Pierce be better since it's a hard counter that can hit creatures if that's what's important given the current boardstate?

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Thank you for the reply.

What if I don't run a Pithing Needle? That means my only outs to Lili in particular are hoping I have one of my 2 CSpells or 1 Pierce (and hope they don't have 2 open mana) or my 1 Council's Judgment, or that I draw one of my 5 creatures (I'm not on Mentor), and since I board out CBs their Decays just protect her from my CMC ≤3 creatures. Would keeping in 1 FoW and taking out the Pierce be better since it's a hard counter that can hit creatures if that's what's important given the current boardstate?
    Angels aren't weak against Lilly either. You float mana and then let her ultimate resolve and keep the top, so you can make angels.

The matchup is a grind. They are a midrange Jund deck with Brainstorm, basically, which means you want to make as many cards trade 1/1, or accumulate card advantage over time (Snapcaster are especially good at this, as he is card-advantage). This is why Jace is one of the best cards against them. This is also why Mentor is a very good card versus them, in general: You make, at least, one token and they can't trade 1/1 with it - It either takes 2 removal spells, Liliana Activation, A block from Goyf of something similar.

Sure, you might not have C-Spell, Judgement or Spell Pierce. It's still not worth it to keep Force in, in my opinion, but it's up to personal preference. If it works for you, keep doing it. It's very much up to personal playstyle - Some people like to Overload their Decay, with RiP, Blood Moon, Decays and everything in between - Some people like to blank their decays entirely (or at least make it so they can't trade this for one of your cards). I, personally, think it depends on the Shardless player.

I feel like Mort's advice regarding his sidebaord-plan is somewhat controversial. Even for the Mentor list (which, to be fair, is much stronger overall. If you haven't tried it, do so please. You'll be amazed at how strong Mentor is compared to Angels).
    Terminus is needed if you don't play mentor, in my opinion, as you otherwise get overrun by creatures pretty often.
    I completly disagree with sideboarding the Snapcaster as well as the Tundra. I'd much rather go -2 Counterbalance (so you have 2 after board), don't board Vensor (I know the dream is to bounce a Liliana with him being hellbent, with her +1 on the stack) as well as not boarding in the Rest in Peace. Snapcaster is close to being the best card in this matchup, I feel like, as he does so much - Flashes back swords when needed, brainstorms, REB's, pressures Liliana, everything. With only 5 removal spells, you can quickly get outraced by a creature draw, which is, as I've found, their easiest way to win quickly, and is even something that goes hand in hand with their gameplan anyhow.

Jan 2009
    Trier, Germany

I tend to board pretty aggressive. The most important thing in the MU is imho which kind of "vibe" your opponent gives you, because they can play a controlvariant or more aggressiv, so my boarding tends to vary very much. I also like boarding out all Terminus when I feel he's going for the control variant and boarding out at least some Goyfs.
    While I agree that Snapcaster is very important in the matchup, I don't like it because I bring in RiP most of the time and an early DRS can greatly diminish the value you get out of your Snap. So I feel that the third Mage will bring it's value only at the latter game stages, for which I do have enough power already.
    I think you are underestimating Venser though. He's not only there for the dream, he can also bounce Visions and is pretty much removalproof.
    For the Tundra, the deck runs fine with 20 lands, at GP Lille, I boarded down to 19 when not playing against Wasteland. Obv, Shardless does have them, but the point is that they don't have taxing counters to punish you for getting wasted. So in the later stages of the game I don't want to draw that land. As you've correctly stated, the game is a grind and the smallest mistake can and will get you.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mort- View Post
    I tend to board pretty aggressive. The most important thing in the MU is imho which kind of "vibe" your opponent gives you, because they can play a controlvariant or more aggressiv, so my boarding tends to vary very much. I also like boarding out all Terminus when I feel he's going for the control variant and boarding out at least some Goyfs.
    While I agree that Snapcaster is very important in the matchup, I don't like it because I bring in RiP most of the time and an early DRS can greatly diminish the value you get out of your Snap. So I feel that the third Mage will bring it's value only at the latter game stages, for which I do have enough power already.
    I think you are underestimating Venser though. He's not only there for the dream, he can also bounce Visions and is pretty much removalproof.
    For the Tundra, the deck runs fine with 20 lands, at GP Lille, I boarded down to 19 when not playing against Wasteland. Obv, Shardless does have them, but the point is that they don't have taxing counters to punish you for getting wasted. So in the later stages of the game I don't want to draw that land. As you've correctly stated, the game is a grind and the smallest mistake can and will get you.
    I understand your position - I also board lands when not pressures, but I want to be able to do more things per turn, meaning to be proactive, I think than you favour. Yeah, Vensor likely warrants higher ratings than I give it, but I think that card is close to unplayable. I would much rather have the 4rd REB over the first vensor, if it's meant for Visions.

I think Snapcaster is your best card. Besides that, I would want to get rid of the Shaman ASAP. I don't think any BUG Players actually board Goyf, as their late-game, as you mention, aren't as strong as ours and Goyf really puts you to the test. I haven't played with any (decent) pilots doing that, at least, as Deathrite > Goyf + Discard is an insanely strong opening, and will leave you dead unless you find something quick. They can easily overrun you, if you can't catch back up, as all their cards basically guarantees card-advatage, which for me, makes me want to be able to match this - This is also why it's mood dependant, if I keep in Cbalance or not, as well as skill level on opponents side of the table. I would much rather have the 3rd snapcaster over the 1st Rest in Peace, if it comes to that, to be honest.

Regarding lands; Yeah. Boarding out lands is pretty much what you wanna be doing in the mirror, vs combo etc anyhow. I just don't like it versus a deck playing 3 wastelands.

Venser is one the best card of the deck if you play the heavy Legendary build with many Caverns and Karakas.

It's pathetic in our builds instead..

Jan 2009
    Trier, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Venser is one the best card of the deck if you play the heavy Legendary build with many Caverns and Karakas.

And what experience does make you say that?

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

And what experience does make you say that?
    It's Poron. :)

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Even without Karakas, you can bounce your Venser with a Jace. Slow, but sometimes you need to get it done.

I prefer to bounce Snapmage with Jace (yes, I am playing it as well since the drop of blasts around)

We the Americans have finally caught on to the Europeans.

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/...reakdown_.html

19% of the Day 2 field Baby~

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/...decklists.html

11 Miracles pilots out of top 32.

Oct 2015
    Uhmrka

I prefer to bounce Snapmage with Jace (yes, I am playing it as well since the drop of blasts around)
    Venser is godly. Why waste a -1 on a lowly snap. Unless you are already losing

Jan 2009
    Trier, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Cfetchcaviar View Post
    Venser is godly. Why waste a -1 on a lowly snap. Unless you are already losing
    It's quite obviously situation dependend.

yup, but normally it's better to Karakas Venser..

I wouldn't play Venser without it.. Clique is different, it can swing and has the flying evasion. Venser instead is really an expensive boomerang without Karakas

Feb 2006
    NJ

This past weekend I played Ponder Miracles at SCG:NJ finishing 11-4 for 18th place. I have been playing Miracles exclusively for the past two years in Legacy and recently shifted to the Ponder version of the deck. I wrote an article discussing how to approach many of the commonly played matchups. I would be interested in knowing your thoughts and different opinions in regards to sideboarding.

https://jefffolinus.wordpress.com/20...y-the-matchups

Jan 2009
    Trier, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Gekoratel View Post
    This past weekend I played Ponder Miracles at SCG:NJ finishing 11-4 for 18th place. I have been playing Miracles exclusively for the past two years in Legacy and recently shifted to the Ponder version of the deck. I wrote an article discussing how to approach many of the commonly played matchups. I would be interested in knowing your thoughts and different opinions in regards to sideboarding.

https://jefffolinus.wordpress.com/20...y-the-matchups
    While the overall article is quite nice and detailed, some of your sideboard decisions seem to be rather strange.

Against Elves:

Not boarding in Wear / Tear just seems plain wrong as they can and will bring in Needle, Null Rod and Sylvan Library, which you have to kill (the last one asap). I'd throw out Judgment, as Elves is a matchup that can go terrible wrong if you tap out too early. Also, instead of -Ponder you should probably board out a land, as Miracles will run just fine with 20 lands against non-Wasteland decks.

Against ANT:

Staticaster does the same as Terminus, only that it also pitches to Force (which can be backbreaking). Throwing out Snapcaster is the absolute mistake imho. Even if you board your one RiP, you want a Snap most of the time. Not only does it beat for two pretty early on, it can also recycle a discarded counter. Again, Judgement seems pretty bad, as well as the 2nd Terminus. If you don't want to cut them, don't board Pyroblast as they are not needed most of the time.

Against Delver:

Why board out Counterspell? FoW is pretty bad here as you don't want card disadvantage. And while Counterspell is more vulnerable to their softcounters, it will give you an additional 2 on CB and will be better the longer the game progresses. Also, more Pyroblasts, not only do they counter their counters, they also kill Delvers. And also, don't board out those Snaps. I'd never go below 2 in any matchup.

Against Miracle:

The only number of Terminus acceptable after boarding is 0. Same with StP.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Against Miracle:

So in a MU where you expect your opponent to be boarding in more threats, you say to take out all of your removal for said threats?

Having 3 Terminus seems really awkward. Myself, I go for a 3-2 split (StP - Teminus), sometimes 2-2 or even 2-1 if I'm familiar with my opponent's list. But being able to wipe an ETA or a mass of Monk tokens is insane. Taking out all creature removal is just asking to get destroyed by an ETA for 3, even 2. Same goes for Mentor, and even more so when his list is rather creature-light.

Feb 2006
    NJ

While the overall article is quite nice and detailed, some of your sideboard decisions seem to be rather strange.

Against Elves:

Not boarding in Wear / Tear just seems plain wrong as they can and will bring in Needle, Null Rod and Sylvan Library, which you have to kill (the last one asap). I'd throw out Judgment, as Elves is a matchup that can go terrible wrong if you tap out too early. Also, instead of -Ponder you should probably board out a land, as Miracles will run just fine with 20 lands against non-Wasteland decks.

Against ANT:

Staticaster does the same as Terminus, only that it also pitches to Force (which can be backbreaking). Throwing out Snapcaster is the absolute mistake imho. Even if you board your one RiP, you want a Snap most of the time. Not only does it beat for two pretty early on, it can also recycle a discarded counter. Again, Judgement seems pretty bad, as well as the 2nd Terminus. If you don't want to cut them, don't board Pyroblast as they are not needed most of the time.

Against Delver:

Why board out Counterspell? FoW is pretty bad here as you don't want card disadvantage. And while Counterspell is more vulnerable to their softcounters, it will give you an additional 2 on CB and will be better the longer the game progresses. Also, more Pyroblasts, not only do they counter their counters, they also kill Delvers. And also, don't board out those Snaps. I'd never go below 2 in any matchup.

Against Miracle:

Thanks for your suggestions, against Elves you are probably correct to board in Wear//Tear since most builds have many of the cards listed but due to this I think leaving in Judgement to have 2 answers makes sense, tapping out isn't great but so long as you have a Force or CB online shouldn't be too bad. I'm not comfortable boarding down to 20 lands but could experiment.

Against ANT the Snaps haven't impressed me as much because if you don't draw Flusterstorm or Counterspell there isn't anything else great to get back but maybe just cycling brainstorms EOT is enough to warrant keeping 1. I saw some people boarding in Staticaster which makes sense as answer to EtW and slow answer to Xantid Swarm. I just don't like that if they see it with Probe/discard they will never commit to EtW and with Terminus you can get them more but I like the idea especially that it is blue and less dead when you draw.

Against Delver I think Counterspell is rather poor because often their threats get under and like you said turns on their soft counterspells. I'd rather focus more on stopping threats in play then your opponent from casting, having less 2 CMC is unfortunate but against many Delver variants you are bringing in RiP to balance out some. The REB effects while powerful open you up more to Wasteland, with a build that has Mountain I'd be more confident boarding in additional copies but as it is prefer to fetch basics whenever possible and minimize splash for 1-2 REBs and Blood Moon. I think your probably correct about Snap even when bringing in RiP as can potentially get value after they kill with Decay etc.

For the mirror match I'm pretty sure you want at least 2 Terminus in the deck, my sideboard doesn't have much else to bring in for the mirror so could see -1 Terminus +1 Flusterstorm but I don't like bringing in cards like Meddling Mage for this MU.

Thread Information