Page 387 of 645 FirstFirst ... 287337377383384385386387388389390391397437487 ... LastLast
Results 7,721 to 7,740 of 12895

Thread: Miracle Control

Jan 2015
    Boston, MA

Re: [DTB] Miracle Control

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianLibrarian View Post
    I'm trying to finalize my decklist for SCG Worcester this weekend, and I'm having some serious trouble picking between the last few maindeck/sideboard slots. Who wants to help me with some second opinions?

Current maindeck: 4 Ponder, 3 Snapcaster, 2 DTT, basically the stock Ponder list
    Current sideboard: 2 Clique, 3 REB/Pyroblast, 1 Wear // Tear, 1 FoW, 2 Flusterstorm, 1 EE, 1 Blood Moon, 2 Rest in Peace, 1 Keranos, 1 Council's Judgment

- I've noticed a lot of people starting to run 2 Containment Priest and 0 Rest in Peace, but these don't seem like they serve the same function. I get the application of Priest against Elves, S&S, and Death & Taxes, but RIP helps against Jund, BGx decks, ANT and Dredge. Not having any graveyard hate seems incredibly risky, is this just a local call for some people?

- Is Blood Moon just too win-more? It's such a beating against the decks that are weak to it that I haven't managed to convince myself it isn't needed

- I'm also considering cutting 1 Snapcaster, 1 DTT and 1 Arid Mesa for 1 Karakas and 2 Cliques. It's sacrificing a bit of the consistency those cards provide in exchange for the additional information (as a non-expert, knowing what my opponent has in hand helps me a lot). Both Joe Lossett and Philipp take the view that Cliques & Ponders belong in different builds of the deck, is anyone out there trying to run both? How have you found it?
    I'm going to be running the Legends build at Worcester, solely because there are going to be a lot of Miracles players there and I think that build has a better mirror matchup. Also, I expect quite a bit of omni-tell as well with all of the success it has had of late.

Quote Originally Posted by skyout View Post
    I'm going to be running the Legends build at Worcester, solely because there are going to be a lot of Miracles players there and I think that build has a better mirror matchup. Also, I expect quite a bit of omni-tell as well with all of the success it has had of late.
    Yeah, I'm expecting to see a lot of Miracles, Omni-Tell, and Delver matchups over this particular weekend. Probably going to be running a board like this:

3 REB/Pyroblast
    1 Disenchant
    1 Force of Will
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Keranos, God of Storms

I like the idea of the board being either better/more specific versions of what the deck already does (i.e. all the counters), or high-impact cards that immediately force my opponent into an awkward position and give me time to set up my win. Keranos is the only odd card out, but I'm not sure what I'd put in there. Blood Moon is awkward with only 2 Volcanics as red sources (and only being able to fit one), and Venser, Shaper Savant seems way too cute.

Oh, here's a tip I learned. If you're casting Engineered Explosives into Thalia, be VERY careful about what mana you use to pay for it. If you want 1 counter, you have to either declare X as zero, or use the same colour mana for the Thalia tax as for the sunburst.

Jan 2015
    Boston, MA

Yeah, I'm expecting to see a lot of Miracles, Omni-Tell, and Delver matchups over this particular weekend. Probably going to be running a board like this:

3 REB/Pyroblast
    1 Disenchant
    1 Force of Will
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Keranos, God of Storms

I like the idea of the board being either better/more specific versions of what the deck already does (i.e. all the counters), or high-impact cards that immediately force my opponent into an awkward position and give me time to set up my win. Keranos is the only odd card out, but I'm not sure what I'd put in there. Blood Moon is awkward with only 2 Volcanics as red sources (and only being able to fit one), and Venser, Shaper Savant seems way too cute.

Oh, here's a tip I learned. If you're casting Engineered Explosives into Thalia, be VERY careful about what mana you use to pay for it. If you want 1 counter, you have to either declare X as zero, or use the same colour mana for the Thalia tax as for the sunburst.
    Depending on how many Council's Judgment you play, that might fit well in the slot currently occupied by Keranos.

3 REB/Pyroblast
    1 Disenchant
    1 Force of Will
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Rest in Peace

2 Priests and 2 RIPs is definitely overkill. Remember you have 4 ponders to find your pieces.
    Last edited by decan; 05-21-2015 at 07:03 PM.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

As a BGx player, feel free to cut RIP so I can chew off your face. K thx.

But seriously, meta dependent. Any time you can RIP (someone a new asshole), why not run it? This deck has problems against disruption backed with Fires/guys, so why not salt the earth with RIP? Dare I say you have very positive matchups across the board, but BGx built properly can give you fits.

I would cut that meddling mages for 2 canonists... incredibly more relevant vs omni and storm decks... they cast S&T you slam down canonist they can play spells no more and in eot you proceed to reb/wear/disenchant their omniscience... they simply cannot win a counter war with that on the table...vs. Storm it's simply superior and vs dredge with canonist in play and Fow floating on top you are safe from dread return... Why playing meddlung mage over it?
    i would play wear/tear over disenchant too... more relevant in the mirror and if you does not expect mud, D&T or similar the red cc isn't such an issue

I would say i have to agree, even though i dont have much experience with Pikula. What are the matchups you want Meddling Mage in? Storm and Show'n Tell decks?

In Response...
    Feb 2014
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Quote Originally Posted by decan View Post
    I would say i have to agree, even though i dont have much experience with Pikula. What are the matchups you want Meddling Mage in? Storm and Show'n Tell decks?
    I like it a lot vs. Show and Tell decks, and also like it a lot vs. Lands. You can play it and turn off LFTL, making it a redundant copy of RIP. It shuts down haymakers in storm (win conditions) or you can play it and name abrupt decay to help protect a counterbalance vs. Storm.

VS. Sneak and Show I'm naming Sneak Attack, because of the number of REBs and other countermagic I have for show and tell.
    VS. Omnitell I'm naming either cunning wish or Show and Tell. Boseiju be damned!
    VS. Storm I'm naming a win condition if I don't have CB on the table, Abrupt Decay if I do. (If they decay in response to you casting MM, obv name something else)
    VS. Lands I'm interested in naming LFTL or Punishing Fire if I don't have a RIP on the board. If I do, then it becomes situational. KGrip gets rid of RIP but does nothing to MM

MM is a hard card to know exactly what to name and when sometimes, for some of the same reasons as something like Cabal Therapy.

I don't run MM personally but can totally see the appeal and application. It's a great card in a combo heavy meta.
    They banned Top, so now I play Grixis Delver.

Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Mar 2014

Quote Originally Posted by exallium View Post
    MM It's a great card in a combo heavy meta.

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

I think Mage is also good in a wide open meta. It's generally good against a lot of things, and sometimes you just need to pull cards like Force out of your deck and don't have anything to put in. Mage can just come down, name a card like Decay, and affect the game in a very positive way for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

Too tired to live, too lazy to die...
    Sep 2014
    On top of a mountain somewhere

Can anyone tell me the advantage of running disenchant over wear // tear? I see people running either or in various lists but I'm curious why.
    mise 'miz v alter. of might as well (1997) 1: to win when you don't deserve to 2: to top-deck the "tings" you need 3: to be rewarded by an opponent's bad luck 4: to coin a phrase that spreads through the tournament scene like wildfire 5: to fling a monkey 6: to split firewood using a sharp instrument 7: To burn

Quote Originally Posted by Misersoneof View Post
    Can anyone tell me the advantage of running disenchant over wear // tear? I see people running either or in various lists but I'm curious why.
    Against Vial decks, you almost always don't want to fetch for Volcanic Island to cast wear//tear to destroy the Vial. The same reasoning goes for SFM decks that runs Wasteland. Single use Volcanic and then get Wasted later just isn't attractive. Even if you run Mountain, sometimes the risk is just too high. Against RUG Delver, you just don't want to break fetchland unless you have to (or you can safely do so), due to Stifle. Hence Disenchant provides the ease of use.

As to the upside of running Wear//Tear, if you can get to float it on the top of your library with CB in play, the result is amazing lock. However, you most likely have won at that point.

Sep 2014

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Against Vial decks, you almost always don't want to fetch for Volcanic Island to cast wear//tear to destroy the Vial. The same reasoning goes for SFM decks that runs Wasteland. Single use Volcanic and then get Wasted later just isn't attractive. Even if you run Mountain, sometimes the risk is just too high. Against RUG Delver, you just don't want to break fetchland unless you have to (or you can safely do so), due to Stifle. Hence Disenchant provides the ease of use.

As to the upside of running Wear//Tear, if you can get to float it on the top of your library with CB in play, the result is amazing lock. However, you most likely have won at that point.
    Thanks! That clears up my confusion. I knew about the counter top lock that wear // tear created but I wasn't sure what the advantage of disenchant was.
    mise 'miz v alter. of might as well (1997) 1: to win when you don't deserve to 2: to top-deck the "tings" you need 3: to be rewarded by an opponent's bad luck 4: to coin a phrase that spreads through the tournament scene like wildfire 5: to fling a monkey 6: to split firewood using a sharp instrument 7: To burn

Jul 2010
    twitch.tv/oarsman79

canonist vs infect

Does anybody have experience boarding ethersworn canonist in against infect? Assuming it is already in the board, would you bring it in over something like Vendilion Clique or a Counterspell?

Re: canonist vs infect

Quote Originally Posted by oarsman View Post
    Does anybody have experience boarding ethersworn canonist in against infect? Assuming it is already in the board, would you bring it in over something like Vendilion Clique or a Counterspell?
    No big experience on this but i guess that could be dangerous because he can simply attack us with inkmoth nexus and if we try to remove it and he counters, we cannot counter back

Sep 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Gros View Post
    No big experience on this but i guess that could be dangerous because he can simply attack us with inkmoth nexus and if we try to remove it and he counters, we cannot counter back
    Why would that be a problem? If I were merely taking 1 poison I'd let it through. If he pumps then you remove it.

I guess if they have Seal of Primordium or Pendelhaven then you'd be on a faster clock but you'd know about it before attempting to remove it.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Why would that be a problem? If I were merely taking 1 poison I'd let it through. If he pumps then you remove it.

I guess if they have Seal of Primordium or Pendelhaven then you'd be on a faster clock but you'd know about it before attempting to remove it.
    They play pendelhaven and noble hierarch. With 1 of those out, it's a 5 turn clock. With both, its a 3.

Sep 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    They play pendelhaven and noble hierarch. With 1 of those out, it's a 5 turn clock. With both, its a 3.
    Good call. I guess Canonist also downgrades Snapcaster to a mere Ambush Viper.

Good call. I guess Canonist also downgrades Snapcaster to a mere Ambush Viper.
    that's what i was trying to say, the fact is that they can simply attack and not pump, and lock you in your canonist, for ex:opponent attack with two guys, you plow one, they pump the latter and kill you protected from your own canonist ( i know plowing infect guys before opponent's end combat step is usually a misplay, but not always everything goes as we like).

Quote Originally Posted by oarsman View Post
    Of the 3 win-cons from Infect (Inkmoth nexus, Blighted Agent, and Glistering elf), Clique can block 2 of them. That's just too big of the upside. If anything, I suppose you can replace a counterspell with a canonist.

Thread Information