Page 425 of 645 FirstFirst ... 325375415421422423424425426427428429435475525 ... LastLast
Results 8,481 to 8,500 of 12895

Thread: Miracle Control

Re: [DTB] Miracle Control

Should Blood Moon be in Sideboards right now?

Quote Originally Posted by raistlinim View Post
    Should Blood Moon be in Sideboards right now?
    Blood Moon is a trappy card. First you have to induce your opponent to play into it. Also, the fact that you have it in your hand might mislead you into thinking that you want to jam it down when the correct path is something else. Watch this match and let me know if you would lean one way or another.

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/v/13577623?t=3h34m08s

Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Mar 2014

Imho Blood Moon is a great card in Miracle.
    We have a solid and basic manabase and we can play this card.
    Blood Moon can win alone some matchup, i play her in 2x copies with very good results in my meta and online.

My meta has quite a fair bit of Grixis delver and control.

What is the general game plan for them and some good sb cards?

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mike1987 View Post
    My meta has quite a fair bit of Grixis delver and control.

What is the general game plan for them and some good sb cards?
    Both Grixis control and delver?

Mentor is really strong in both those matchups. Also, Relic is pretty good vs them. So is Izzet Staticaster/Pyroclasm.

In Response...
    Feb 2014
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Some brief notes:

Grixis Control and Grixis Delver are two different beings, trying to do different things, regardless of the fact that there is a huge amount of overlap in their card selection.

There are some similarities:

- Both will run Young Pyromancer and a critical mass of cantrips (10ish)
    - Both of course have access to both lightning bolt and Blast effects

There are some differences as well:

- Grixis Delver has, as most delver decks do, a Land Destruction element, so your Blast effects are less useful.
    - Grixis Delver runs daze, and will try to tempo you out in the early game.
    - Grixis Delver more often than not will not have Cabal Therapy in their main deck, going for a more UR centric G1

- Grixis Control will have Counterspell and more copies of Dig Through Time, drastically improving their late game.
    - Grixis Control, as far as I've seen, does not utilize wasteland.
    - Grixis Control will have disruption in the main deck as a way to draw the game out and last longer.

Vs. Grixis Delver, I approach the matchup in a similar vein as I would UR Delver.

- Board out Force of Will and JTMS, maybe an Entreat.
    - Board in Artifact / Enchantment Hate, extra Sweepers, and Monastery Mentors
    - Entreat is a topheavy card, and vs. a land destruction deck, you're likely better off with just 1 copy and mentors

Vs. Grixis Control, you're in a control mirror

- Board out Swords, Jace, and Forces
    - Bring in Artifact / Enchantment Hate, Extra Sweepers, Mentor, and Blast Effects
    - Swords is abysmal if they only really have Pyromancer as a threat. You're better off with your extra

Vs. Both decks

- Jace becomes pretty dead to Red Elemental Blast and Lightning bolts on both sides.
    - Forces are in general pretty bad vs. discard heavy fair decks
    - Extra sweepers, for example, I play an izzet staticaster, serve as an extra way to help regain would-be card advantage from YP.
    They banned Top, so now I play Grixis Delver.

Quote Originally Posted by exallium View Post
    Some brief notes:
    Vs. Both decks

- Jace becomes pretty dead to Red Elemental Blast and Lightning bolts on both sides.
    - Extra sweepers, for example, I play an izzet staticaster, serve as an extra way to help regain would-be card advantage from YP.
    Respectfully disagree with Staticaster. Both Grixis Delver and Grixis Control has at least 3 Red Blast effects in their 75, staticaster is a Magnet for these Blasts on stack. It might buy you turns, but you might end up losing to something else. From my test using Staticsaster, you almost never want to spend resource to protect if it somehow gets pass all the Blasts to get into play. When it doesn't, you almost certain would bait out a response from the Grixis player, so I guess it serves as a good bait. If you are running the card in your 75 anyhow, yeah, why not.

In Response...
    Feb 2014
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Respectfully disagree with Staticaster. Both Grixis Delver and Grixis Control has at least 3 Red Blast effects in their 75, staticaster is a Magnet for these Blasts on stack. It might buy you turns, but you might end up losing to something else. From my test using Staticsaster, you almost never want to spend resource to protect if it somehow gets pass all the Blasts to get into play. When it doesn't, you almost certain would bait out a response from the Grixis player, so I guess it serves as a good bait. If you are running the card in your 75 anyhow, yeah, why not.
    This is a good point. I used language that was a little too explicit. Staticaster is in there to harass decks with tiny creatures like elves, death and taxes, and infect, and has some good splash damage vs yp decks if you can make it stick. If nothing else, it acts like a bait spell for blast when you want to resolve something more important like counterbalance or dig, kind of like clique in the mirror.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by exallium View Post
    Some brief notes:

Grixis Control and Grixis Delver are two different beings, trying to do different things, regardless of the fact that there is a huge amount of overlap in their card selection.

There are some similarities:

- Both will run Young Pyromancer and a critical mass of cantrips (10ish)
    - Both of course have access to both lightning bolt and Blast effects

There are some differences as well:

- Grixis Delver has, as most delver decks do, a Land Destruction element, so your Blast effects are less useful.
    - Grixis Delver runs daze, and will try to tempo you out in the early game.
    - Grixis Delver more often than not will not have Cabal Therapy in their main deck, going for a more UR centric G1

- Grixis Control will have Counterspell and more copies of Dig Through Time, drastically improving their late game.
    - Grixis Control, as far as I've seen, does not utilize wasteland.
    - Grixis Control will have disruption in the main deck as a way to draw the game out and last longer.

Vs. Grixis Delver, I approach the matchup in a similar vein as I would UR Delver.

- Board out Force of Will and JTMS, maybe an Entreat.
    - Board in Artifact / Enchantment Hate, extra Sweepers, and Monastery Mentors
    - Entreat is a topheavy card, and vs. a land destruction deck, you're likely better off with just 1 copy and mentors

Vs. Grixis Control, you're in a control mirror

- Board out Swords, Jace, and Forces
    - Bring in Artifact / Enchantment Hate, Extra Sweepers, Mentor, and Blast Effects
    - Swords is abysmal if they only really have Pyromancer as a threat. You're better off with your extra

Vs. Both decks

Thanks for the concise summary. I am playing one additional sweeper in the board. Would you recommend pyroclasm or supreme verdict?

You board in artifact/enchantment removal for their needles and rod?

I personally feel that we shouldnt board out jaces against grixis control. As after establishing the counterlock, it is a very viable win con.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Can someone do a quick writeup on how to play Mentor? At the most recent SCG IQ I tried 2 of him in my SB and in every game he came down he did nothing but eat a STP or Decay. He might just not fit into my playstyle which is probably why I'm not as successful with him as others have been.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Can someone do a quick writeup on how to play Mentor?
    Sure! Play more than a few games with him. Seriously though, the card isn't that complicated, get some more games in and you will see. Or watch some past games where people played him. mtgcoverage.com is a great site for anyone not familiar. Very rarely should you actually be playing him turn 3, and a STP/bolt on your mentor is something worth using FoW on.

Thanks for the concise summary. I am playing one additional sweeper in the board. Would you recommend pyroclasm or supreme verdict?

I personally feel that we shouldnt board out jaces against grixis control. As after establishing the counterlock, it is a very viable win con.
    I don't think pyroclasm is very good right now, and would sooner play staticaster or verdict.

Bringing in wear/tear vs grixis control is bad since they usually only have 1 target in their 75, but vs delver they could also have sulfuric vortex. Council's judgment is often really bad in this matchup, but its versatility is nice. If CJ was in my 75, I would play that over any disenchant effect.

"I personally feel that we shouldnt board out jaces against grixis control. As after establishing the counterlock, it is a very viable win con." So it's great at winning more? This is why we board out jace vs pyromancer decks. Jace does not stabilize since he gets countered or dies immediately to bolt, blasts, pyromancer, etc. If we have countertop lock, we have won already.

In Response...
    Feb 2014
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

1) Izzet Staticaster is very efficient at what he does, which is harass things with 1 power, turn after turn, or immediately dies to an answer, soaking up a response for something else. I like Staticaster right now because of the good applications in the Infect matchup and the reusability of his effect.

2) Yes I do. Dread of Night, Null Rod, Pithing Needle, Sulfuric Vortex, etc. are all applicable against miracles, and I'd rather be overprepared than underprepared. CJ as others have pointed out, is a fine keep as well. W//T is also a 1 AND 2 drop for CB, and CB is very relevant in a matchup vs. a deck with a low curve and no real enchantment hate.

3) No. Don't do it. It's not worth tapping down 4 on your turn to walk into a pyroblast, and if you have CB online you have other ways of winning the game. Blasts are everywhere, and imo the more wincons you have that are non-blue the better. You don't want to get into a grind fest with Grixis Control.

Streaming the 6pm EST daily playing a 20 land variation of BBD's latest list! Come watch @ www.twitch.tv/anzi104

My sb would be as follows:

2 Flusterstorm
    1 Surgical extraction
    1 rest in piece
    1 red elemental blast
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 venser, shape savant
    1 engineered explosives
    2 monastery mentor
    2 vendilion clique
    2 wear/tear
    1 Sulfur elemental

I think I have decided to play EE over staticaster/verdict, since it is also more flexible in other matchups such as MUD, jund, stoneblade, merfolk
    My meta consists of omni-tell, grixis decks(both control, delver), jund, merfolk and stoneblade.

I am playing with the 4 ponder, 20 land version with 2 pyroblasts main
    Hopefully I have my bases covered.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

In Response...
    Feb 2014
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

My sb would be as follows:

2 Flusterstorm
    1 Surgical extraction
    1 rest in piece
    1 red elemental blast
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 venser, shape savant
    1 engineered explosives
    2 monastery mentor
    2 vendilion clique
    2 wear/tear
    1 Sulfur elemental

I think I have decided to play EE over staticaster/verdict, since it is also more flexible in other matchups such as MUD, jund, stoneblade, merfolk
    My meta consists of omni-tell, grixis decks(both control, delver), jund, merfolk and stoneblade.

I am playing with the 4 ponder, 20 land version with 2 pyroblasts main
    Hopefully I have my bases covered.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
    IMHO, we've entered an era where Rest in Peace is more of a hinderance than a boon. I'd consider replacing this with a second surgical extraction. It interacts very well with a deck like Jund as well as Omnitell, and does not hinder your own snapcaster mages and digs. It actually makes them better.

Idk how much Venser is worth it without Karakas in your 75. I understand he's there for Omni, but you could also be running say, the second canonist, Meddling Mage, etc. and still have a very strong counter to Boseiju -> show and tell. These options also appeal more to a 20 land deck.

yes, overall when they expect Rest in Peace (reanimator, dredge, BUG) they often bring in Helm of Obedience to flash win! Those decks all play Gitaxian Probe and Thoughtseize..
    Nowadays RiP is both a damage to our strategy and open us to a flash win from the opponent.

Venser without Karakas and Cavern of Souls is almost crap.
    Pyroblast is so common that you HAVE to dodge it

btw how does 12 Posts-MUD deals with creatures? Because in case Dwarven Miner can be very helpful in that matchup...

Jun 2014
    Ithaca, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    btw how does 12 Posts-MUD deals with creatures? Because in case Dwarven Miner can be very helpful in that matchup...
    If you're that determined to beat MUD/Post, just play Ruiniation. MUD can always just waste you off of red after you play Miner and at least Ruination has applications in other matchups (mostly BUG and Lands). I think the fact the MUD/Post can't answer creatures is a strong argument for Mentor rather than for random hate creatures.

Jun 2014
    Ithaca, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    yes, overall when they expect Rest in Peace (reanimator, dredge, BUG) they often bring in Helm of Obedience to flash win! Those decks all play Gitaxian Probe and Thoughtseize..
    Nowadays RiP is both a damage to our strategy and open us to a flash win from the opponent.

Venser without Karakas and Cavern of Souls is almost crap.
    Pyroblast is so common that you HAVE to dodge it
    Also I don't understand this at all. As far as I know the only deck that has ever played Helm to cheese out wins against RIP is Kennen Haas's Glam Loam deck. RIP is a fine card in the meta right now, it's good against both versions of Grixis as well as against RUG and the unfair GY decks. Suggesting that playing RIP puts us in fear of Helm kills is ludicrous.

I'm just saying that I would, else, play Relic of Progenitus.

It is also much better against hate being it able to replace itself when targeted.

about Miner: I like to think outside the box it just useless to keep on saying Ruination and Blood Moon.
    We already know those cards and we know how to play them.

Even though, probably, Blood Moon is still the best card out there for any Post or Lands.dec
    Last edited by Poron; 09-07-2015 at 09:29 AM.

Thread Information