Page 337 of 645 FirstFirst ... 237287327333334335336337338339340341347387437 ... LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,740 of 12895

Thread: Miracle Control

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

Re: [DTB] Miracle Control

CMC is not a reason to play a card, or else we'd be playing Dissipate/Dissolve.
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

I don't understand if we play a different game or what.

You dig that much for an Entreat? and play the third since the beginning.. isn't it easier?

We like to leave all our Instants and Sorceries in the graveyard for Snapmage it's not so easy to reach 6 cards in the graveyard over the Sorceries + Instants...

Also, with black back we have to deal seriously with AD again. Is someone thinking about Divert or Misdirection again? I like my Counterbalance

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

2 maindeck blasts with 2 more in the sideboard was amazing before cruise was printed, cruise being replaced by DTT in a lot of decks, UR delver going back to just decent, and shardless BUG being a deck again won't make blasts any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    Well, I'm not so sure about that. I'm quite happy with my configuration of 2 Jtms, 1 DTT and 3 Snapcasters. 4 Ponders 4 Brainstorms and 4 tops are good enough to find Jace, and 80% of the games I don't even need it, in fact most of the times it sits in hand because I have better things to do. Very rarely I use it as a finisher, although it happens sometimes.
    Also Dig was crucial everytime I resolved it, as you should hold your Brainstorms, Dig almost always becomes ''search ETA and protection, or ETA and Brainstorm''.
    I've been playing the same way since Dig was announced, and would not look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post

You dig that much for an Entreat? and play the third since the beginning.. isn't it easier?

We like to leave all our Instants and Sorceries in the graveyard for Snapmage it's not so easy to reach 6 cards in the graveyard over the Sorceries + Instants...

Also, with black back we have to deal seriously with AD again. Is someone thinking about Divert or Misdirection again? I like my Counterbalance
    Dig is like brainstorm: you do not cast it until you need to and if you win a game with it still your hand, you are doing something right. This is why if its often just setting up entreat. BUT it can also find anything else too.

The delve/snap interaction is almost completely irrelevant. At the points where you try to cast dig, there are always way more cards in your GY than you need to cast it or it doesnt matter that you exiled some instants/scorcies because you need to find something with dig THAT turn. Also, 3 for 1s at instant speed are pretty good. Since khans release, snapcaster back a dig and having it win a game has happened way more than running out snap targets because of a previous dig.

As for decay coming back, unless hymn and ancestral visions ALSO come back in a big way, misdirection is not the answer. Just play more ways to cast/find counterbalances. Misdirection is too narrow and often bad.

Agree with what Architect said. However, if you played Miracles a good amount in the pre-Khans meta, you should be able to win without Counterbalance. Granted it's a fundamental part of the deck, but we have many other good cards that Counterbalance isn't absolutely necessary and is quite bad against the BUG Decks. In those MUs we want more ways to interact with their board and haymakers (like Keranos against Shardless BUG) rather than a board impotent permanent easily dealt with by these decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

With all the fetchlands, ponders etc it's easy.
    The point isn't to dig turn 3. It's a lategame haymaker, that's just good to draw as it can find you swords/terminus and jace, etc.
    Snapcaster has different functions, in different matchups. More often than not, I flashback a swords, a terminus, a counterspell, a reb or a FoW. It's very rare that I flashback ponder.

I will try a cunning wish list just for fun but I don't know what cards will be the best for the sideboard. Any advice?

Main Deck (60)
    Creatures (3)

3 Snapcaster Mage
    Spells (36)

2 Spell Pierce
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Counterspell
    3 Counterbalance
    2 Cunning Wish
    2 Entreat the Angels
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Force of Will
    4 Terminus
    Lands (21)

1 Scalding Tarn
    2 Arid Mesa
    2 Plains
    2 Volcanic Island
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Tundra
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Island
    Sideboard (15)
    1 Blue Elemental Blast
    1 Electrickery
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Wear // Tear
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Celestial Purge
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Counterspell
    1 Chaos Warp
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Dig Through Time

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I totally agree that Misdirection is too narrow and Divert is just irrelevant. They still didn't give us any answer to Decay.

This said: without a Jace on the field I don't feel like I can dig eniugh with my Brainstorm or Snaomage aggresively.

In order to work fine, DTT requires a Brainstorm in hand or Snap and 1UUUU. Not sure we are ready to lose our Jace

I totally agree that Misdirection is too narrow and Divert is just irrelevant. They still didn't give us any answer to Decay.

This said: without a Jace on the field I don't feel like I can dig eniugh with my Brainstorm or Snaomage aggresively.

In order to work fine, DTT requires a Brainstorm in hand or Snap and 1UUUU. Not sure we are ready to lose our Jace
    That's not how you use DTT. There's no strict rules for DTT, it all depends on the board and how do you want to proceed from that game state. Your statement about DTT requiring a Brainstorm is wrong.

Mar 2013

Play Repeal if you want to dodge Abrupt Decay. It does everything. If you have a Top, it's a Divination. If you use it to protect something, it's an Into the Roil. It can kill Germs, mess with Delver of Secrets, and move Planeswalker off the board. There's a sweetness to bouncing a Hellbent Lili that is indescribable.

Yes I think 2 mana bounce is the best choice for this deck.. that way we can bounce Chalice of the Void, Planeswalkers as well as Marit Lage tokens

Repeal is good but horrible against Chalice of the Void (for which we have EE anyway)...

Repeal is not the WORST idea I've ever heard for techy options in Miracles. However, Miracles needs to kill stuff and keep it dead if it's going to take over the game. Bouncing something is more often than not irrelevant since they're pretty much just gonna play it again next turn or in the next subsequent turns and then you're right back where you started. Bouncing a Liliana in response to her +1 ability on a hellbent opponent is way too narrow nor does it get a Chalice of the Void off the table. Council's Judgment does both of these things and a lot more and is a much better answer to problematic cards than Repeal.

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by drocker23 View Post
    Repeal is not the WORST idea I've ever heard for techy options in Miracles. However, Miracles needs to kill stuff and keep it dead if it's going to take over the game. Bouncing something is more often than not irrelevant since they're pretty much just gonna play it again next turn or in the next subsequent turns and then you're right back where you started. Bouncing a Liliana in response to her +1 ability on a hellbent opponent is way too narrow nor does it get a Chalice of the Void off the table. Council's Judgment does both of these things and a lot more and is a much better answer to problematic cards than Repeal.
    Repeal saves CB and is a CA engine with Top. It's not like it's an Unsummon, you do draw a card. The card is super powerful right now.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by YamiJoey View Post
    Repeal saves CB and is a CA engine with Top. It's not like it's an Unsummon, you do draw a card. The card is super powerful right now.
    I think, if Repeal EVER was a consideration, it would be played as a misers copy, thus nullifying the "ENGINE"-part. Sure, in cornercases, it's about as powerfull as anything - Hell, Morphling would be insane in the right context.

Mar 2013

Okay; engine was the wrong word. It is a card advantage outlet.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by YamiJoey View Post
    Okay; engine was the wrong word. It is a card advantage outlet.
    Sure, it does.

However, if you start to using the repeal you play on your own top, I imagine you're winning anyhow :D?

I'd much rather, in the decay matchups, just toss cb away, and don't really care if they spend their cards on my cb. They aren't in the deck after sideboard, which means they (mostly) have 4 inefficient cards (sure, hits snap, clique) but yeah... They already did their heavy lifting.

Mar 2013

Whilst mostly true; it's a method of beating the Punishing Jund decks. I want to get a Counterbalance or two onto the table to cut off the Fires. It's the only way they can win.

Dec 2010
    Prague

Hello everybody I won samll tournament yesterday (29ppl) - Vienna Open.

We went there from Prague with my friend Martin Vonásek - ANT (Sloshthedark), Martin Schiling - 12 post and another friend who had to leave us on the way as his wife got ill and they have a little baby.

My friends played Czech legacy series on Saturday in Brno (the second biggest Czech city) and they both made Top8. (Martin V. was 2nd)

I came later by bus we walked around the city and then we went to our hotel. Next morning we picked up our friend Michal who told us he has to go home and cant play in Vienna. What a shame!

The good news about Vienna Open was that Philipp was coming as he told me he cant imagine me playing legacy in Austria and him not being there. I also brought his GP New Jersey playmat.

We came early so we had a hot chocolate next to a fireplace in a cozy Café Jelinek. (A Czech name! :-) In German it would be Hirsch/Hirschl)

At 12:00 the tournament started and I must say it was very well organized - there were two more tournament but everything went really smooth.

1) Reanimator
    G1 - I didnt see any counterspell until it was too late. I still had a chance as he didnt play Ioona maindeck.
    G2 - He played Pithing Needle naming SDT only to concede to my Reliq of Progenitus I played a turn later.
    G3 - He started Underground Sea, Petal, Entomb, bining Grizzly... Oh no... pass. I drew Fow, played land holding Flusterstorm, 2 Counterbalance, some lands and REB. He played Reanimate and I Flustered - Fow+paying with petal - Fow - Fow he got his grizzly with no card in hand nad I lost. Had he played petal in the second round, had I started with Fow I would have won...

Philipp was playing next to me and lost to my 12post friend. What a start!

2) ANT - Martin (he won his first round)
    Thanks to Martin Philipp thinks ANT is a bad matchup - after an afternoon of extensive testing in my place in Prague. I disagree but I respect the deck and my teammate Martin very much. But out head to head games are in my favour. Martin simply has bad luck against me.
    We were thinking about a draw but that was not very good for anybody. I suggest it will be better to play with me winning... :-)
    G1 - he started with Dark Ritual - it was only a bait and I forced... Two turn late he played another Dark Ritual and I let it resolve - he played Thoughtsized, took my Fow and the rest was purely academical.
    The good news was that I knew Martin does not play any creatures so I could drop all swords.
    G2 - Martin played Volcanic on his first and tried to Pyroblast my Counterbalance - I had to Fow and since he didnt see green all the game we had to play the third game.
    G3 - Martin started with double Probe and no land... He found them later and eventhought I had a Counterbalance in hadn I coulnd cast it until like turn five (I felt it is better to keep up the Counterspell mana and Fow) In the end he fetched eot I could sence Krosan Grip coming but I felt he is not going to blow my Reliq anyway when I had CB. Well, he did and later he told me that the Reliq was extremly annoying in both post board games. Not killing CB meant he could not resolve his crucial spells and lost.
    Good we are both still in the tournament.

3) UWR Delver (guy who played Martin, me, Philip and 12post Martin)
    G1 - mull to 5 and no creatures...
    G2 - my opponent didnt know how to play with CB in play. (I admit - it is very hard - I dont know how to play against CB - which is why I always counter it :-) )

4) Dark Depths combo
    G1 - Sword to Plowshares reads - gain 20 life and loose two lands...
    G2 - - // -
    I think this deck is absolutely horrible. It was good when ppl dint play Wasteland and Swords to Plowshares which was... Never!

5) ID with I dont know what is he playing - a friend from Bratislava

TOP 8!!!

Unfortunately Phlip didnt do very well and Martin droped after round 4. Martin Vonásek on the other had fought back and finished 1st after the swiss.

TOP 8 - ANT
    I love playing T8s. It is not because of the prizes but because you have time and you can play at your best. (not me at SCG)
    G1 - He mulled to 5 and the tried to go for it but I had FOW. When I played CB+TOP he scooped.
    I kept in three Swords because had Xantid Swarm.
    G2 - He played Carpet of Flowers. I had One Tundra and two fetchlands trying not to give him any extra mana... He went for it I Fowed removing Fluesterstorm - it is not going to be very good I am afraid... Later I played Jace and allowed him to draw an Abrupt Decay, Carpet and some lands but nothing releveant and then I removed his library. Once I left a good card on top with him having fetchland - he fetched, obviously! :-)

TOP4 - Esper Digblade - Valentin
    I was a bit scared at the begining as his deck looked really nice. I love Thoughtscour and Dig Through Time. He also played Spell Snare, Lingering Souls and Thoughtseize. No Wasteland.
    G1 - Was long and grindy but he managed to stick in his single Jace (after a double dig) and my Counter-Top was not good enough.
    Side: - 4 Fow, -4 STP, -2Plains. +3blasts, +1Reliq, +1cs, +3Clique (not amazing against souls but I didnt know how many jace he has), +1EE, +1Disenchant
    G2 - Red Elemental Blast > Thoughtseize. He couldnt deal with it. In the second game he was only drawind lands and after he played a Mystic > Batteskull he knew I have Disenchant so he couldnt play SoFI and I could slow game down and took over with CB+TOP+Jace.
    G3 - He started with Thoughtseize seeing my only miser land, CB, CS, 2caster, REB and Brainstorm... He took that. I drew Tundra and played the fetch land - Valentin played Brainstorm from his underground sea. he did it all three games and there was no reason to think he does not have another land but I still wanted to blast it. Well, he missed next two landrops and I could stick my CB and won from there. He only kept two souls in play at the time so thatnk to his Thoughtseize I could preassure him with snapcaster, later with Clique after I blew his tokens with EE. At the end Thoughtseized me - going down to 2 - seeing Caster, Clique, Terminus, he took Clique and played flashback of souls - then two spirits attacked Jace - I tapped top and play Terminus - he was really surprised I had another one! I still had two mana to play caster and kill him!

It was getting late and we had to go back (3,5 hours from Vienna to Prague) so Martin conceded to me and got mint U Sea and I got really nice Volcanic with Misty Rainforest. We had a little dinner - we were both winners so we payed for Martin Schiling's dinner. I like this tradition eventhough I have been paying lately quite a lot. :-)

Philipp's list will be published soon on SCG!

Thanks for reading.

Tomáš Vlček

PS: read Martin's report as well:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post863879

Dec 2010
    Prague

Last edited by Koplinchen; 01-26-2015 at 06:00 PM. Reason: redundancy

Good job Tomáš! Was happy to see you and Martin at the Top of the Top 8 for the Vienna Open over the weekend. Thanks for the report.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Mar 2014

Very good job, thanks for the report|

Thread Information