Page 422 of 645 FirstFirst ... 322372412418419420421422423424425426432472522 ... LastLast
Results 8,421 to 8,440 of 12895

Thread: Miracle Control

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Re: [DTB] Miracle Control

I don't like , but having an uncounterable Wrath is better than having a spell that only hits a creature of an opponent's choosing.

So you pop off Wing Shards after attackers are declared. Your opponent just needs to cast a single spell and save his Pyro or Mentor.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    I don't like , but having an uncounterable Wrath is better than having a spell that only hits a creature of an opponent's choosing.

So you pop off Wing Shards after attackers are declared. Your opponent just needs to cast a single spell and save his Pyro or Mentor.
    Agreed, don't like Wing Shards at all. It's not going to do what you want it to do most of the time.

On the subject or . Verdict has no problem in the Entreat builds, as they should be running a second basic plains. In the newer iterations with a single basic plains, it could well be a problem. I played a bunch of games with BUG delver recently with a friend to tune it for the Miracles matchup, and I was able to keep them off double white quite easily. Granted, this was because of Entreat, but the same logic applies.
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Please read Wing Shards again ;)

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp2293 View Post
    Please read Wing Shards again ;)
    He may have misread the card, but I think the point still stands. Even a single monk token is a game ending threat in the mirror.
    Last edited by Whitefaces; 08-19-2015 at 06:46 PM.
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Uh..., don't think you understand the card, but I understand your point.

Well, they are all different tools.

If you're on Cavern build or Mentor build, WW can be a problem to produce sometimes. Both Wing Shards and Verdict would be tough in that department. Also, You can float Wing Shards and Terminus to avoid discard and still play when needed. Discard is Esper Mentor and Grixis Control's favorite.

Essentially Wing Shards has these perks:
    1. One-sided effect instead of mass removal, this could lead to reverse kill or blow out, depending on how greedy your opponent is.
    2. The creatures actually go to grave, which can be better against Elves and Goblins.
    3. Can be floated via SDT, might matter against esper/grixis.
    4. Hey~ It's a CMC 3, floating it actually turn off opponent's Mentor/Liliana/Show and Tell/Lingering Souls.

Cons:
    1. rely on your opponent's greediness, can be inconsistent.
    2. WW requirement.

Regarding Young pyromancer case i think that basically no one would attack with his reb mage into our open mana risking a trade with snapcaster, so wing shards would rarely be effective against them, plus we don't need cards for the elf matchup and Goblins is a deck that doesn't exist basically.
    Vs. merfolks this all made some sense but casting a spell and casting shards will cost us at least 2WW, in that place i would always play Supreme Verdict, given our opponent doesn't cast a main phase 1 lord, which is casting that into terminus btw...

Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Mar 2014

I quote Gros.
    Imho the matchups who require Wing Shard maybe are goblin and Nemesis.deck.
    Tapping 3 (1WW) for a piromancer.deck imho expose us to other risk.

Post side we have 3/4 Terminus
    1/2 Engineered Explosives
    0/1 Pyroclasm
    3/4 Swords to Plowshares
    Some creatures who can block
    2/3 Flashback for removal

Some other random cards (Izzet Staticaster)

Quote Originally Posted by Gros View Post
    Regarding Young pyromancer case i think that basically no one would attack with his reb mage into our open mana risking a trade with snapcaster, so wing shards would rarely be effective against them, plus we don't need cards for the elf matchup and Goblins is a deck that doesn't exist basically.
    Vs. merfolks this all made some sense but casting a spell and casting shards will cost us at least 2WW, in that place i would always play Supreme Verdict, given our opponent doesn't cast a main phase 1 lord, which is casting that into terminus btw...
    Make sense. However, Wind Shards does take out Mutavault, Inkmoth, and Tarpit. Something Verdict usually doesn't catch.

Infect in particular is difficult to fight over because their cheap counter, And Wind Shards targets the player, not the creature, totally pass through Vines.

and Teferi's response..

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Make sense. However, Wind Shards does take out Mutavault, Inkmoth, and Tarpit. Something Verdict usually doesn't catch.

Infect in particular is difficult to fight over because their cheap counter, And Wind Shards targets the player, not the creature, totally pass through Vines.
    i think while Wing Shards is an interesting idea, it is to niche an answer. Could be good against Elves as well i guess.

For most case scenarios though, i think Izzet Statiscaster just does a better job at what you want to accomplish, and is still relevant for more matches.

Streaming the 3:30PM EST daily today @ www.twitch.tv/anzi104 ! Testing out a potential list for Eternal Weekend tomorrow!

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

To be fair; I'd rather play Tsabo's Web over situational cards that might work against Inkmoth and the likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    To be fair; I'd rather play Tsabo's Web over situational cards that might work against Inkmoth and the likes.
    I'm just trying to think of what problematic lands that would shut down.

In our deck:
    Karakas

In other decks:
    Inkmoth Nexus / Mishra's Factory / Mutavault / basically any manland, but they still may get to attack once
    Rishadan Port

Isn't that basically it? We don't care about Maze of Ith, and cards like Wasteland, Thespian's Stage, Tabernacle, etc. aren't affected at all. You could run Pithing Needle to shut down Inkmoths, and it'd be applicable against other decks as well.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianLibrarian View Post
    I'm just trying to think of what problematic lands that would shut down.

In our deck:
    Karakas

In other decks:
    Inkmoth Nexus / Mishra's Factory / Mutavault / basically any manland, but they still may get to attack once
    Rishadan Port

Isn't that basically it? We don't care about Maze of Ith, and cards like Wasteland, Thespian's Stage, Tabernacle, etc. aren't affected at all. You could run Pithing Needle to shut down Inkmoths, and it'd be applicable against other decks as well.
    I think most lists aren't packing Karakas anymore.

Tsabo's Web shut's manlands down one time - However, that's usually good enough, considering Inkmoth usually deal poison in 1(2/3, Hierarch/Pendelhaven) where's Tsabo's Web shuts that one down.

I'm not(!) arguing for it's inclusion, merely that some cards are just inferior.

hmm... 744 players for Eternal Weekend Legacy Champ, 0 Miracles in the Top 16, highest finish at 19th being Zero-Daze-Mentor-Miracles by Alex Smith.

Half of the Top 8 is Grixis/4-colors Delver.

But 5 Miracles in 16-32.

Also Splinter Twin in the Top 8? I suppose it has surprise factor game one.

Nov 2012
    Mansfield PA

I went 8-3 at eternal weekend yesterday getting 54th. Would do a report and list if anyone would like :)

I've been getting omnitold pretty hard lately. Postboard is particularly difficult for me due to boseju. If I really wanted to go all out and tailor my sideboard to beat them what cards should I add.
    Currently, my SB is:
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Monastery Mentor
    2 Vendilion Clique
    2 Wear // Tear
    1 Counterspell
    1 Pyroblast (2 main)
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Surgical Extraction

Also, what is the general strategy to beating omni. G1 I feel like I'm trying to resolve CB and then the win is relatively easy from there. G2 I feeel like I want to stick a clique pretty fast and get going on their life total, but when I can't find the clique I am just at a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa View Post
    I've been getting omnitold pretty hard lately. Postboard is particularly difficult for me due to boseju. If I really wanted to go all out and tailor my sideboard to beat them what cards should I add.
    Currently, my SB is:
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Monastery Mentor
    2 Vendilion Clique
    2 Wear // Tear
    1 Counterspell
    1 Pyroblast (2 main)
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Surgical Extraction

Also, what is the general strategy to beating omni. G1 I feel like I'm trying to resolve CB and then the win is relatively easy from there. G2 I feeel like I want to stick a clique pretty fast and get going on their life total, but when I can't find the clique I am just at a loss.
    First of all, everyone should have 2 Canonists in their SB.

Game 1, the goal is to resolve CB and float a CMC 3.

Game 2, you're trying to fend off the first wave while you're looking for your own combo. I don't mean CB, I mean Canonist + Red Blast. Now, are you safe even if you have the combo? No, you still have to anticipate YP route.

Too tired to live, too lazy to die...
    Sep 2014
    On top of a mountain somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Moa View Post
    Currently, my SB is:
    2Flusterstorm
    2Monastery Mentor
    2Vendilion Clique
    2Wear // Tear
    1Counterspell
    1Pyroblast (2 main)
    1Engineered Explosives
    1Ethersworn Canonist
    1Rest in Peace
    1Sulfur Elemental
    1Surgical Extraction

Has anyone tried disciple of the ring? I bought one a while ago to test against omnishow. (I play in Japan and they love their omnishow decks) It's a card that seems like it can only be used when an opponent plays show and tell. It can be used to tap down their emrakul or if they go with some other combo you can counter it provided you have more mana.

I fully realize that this is not for a normal meta but it could be fun in a heavy omnishow meta.
    mise 'miz v alter. of might as well (1997) 1: to win when you don't deserve to 2: to top-deck the "tings" you need 3: to be rewarded by an opponent's bad luck 4: to coin a phrase that spreads through the tournament scene like wildfire 5: to fling a monkey 6: to split firewood using a sharp instrument 7: To burn

Thread Information