Page 496 of 645 FirstFirst ... 396446486492493494495496497498499500506546596 ... LastLast
Results 9,901 to 9,920 of 12895

Thread: Miracle Control

Aug 2015
    Norcal

Re: [DTB] Miracle Control

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Played a Predict list in a local GPT for Columbus yesterday, felt really solid. Went 3-1-1 (Beat Merfolk, lost to Sneak&Show, Beat UW Thopter Control, beat RUG Control, drew with Elves, then lost to MUD in top8).

I've been having consistent trouble with Sneak and Show lately, and I'm wondering if that's just an inherent weakness of the cantrip-heavy builds, or if I'm doing something wrong? (Low sample size too, I could just be getting unlucky)

List for reference:

2 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Island
    2 Plains
    3 Scalding Tarn
    3 Tundra
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Counterbalance
    1 Counterspell
    2 Entreat the Angels
    4 Force of Will
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Ponder
    2 Predict
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Spell Snare
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Terminus

Sideboard:
    1 Batterskull
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Council's Judgment
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Wear // Tear

Boarding looked something like: -1 Plains, -4 Terminus, -4 Swords to Plowshares, -1 Spell Snare | +2 Vendilion Clique, +2 Flusterstorm, +1 REB, +1 Pyroblast, +1 Pithing Needle, +1 Surgical Extraction, +1 Containment Priest, +1 Council's Judgment.

Should I be bringing in the Stoneforge Package to have an early threat? I have more cards I want to take out than stuff to bring in which is a red flag to me.
    What matchups does the SFM package come in against normally? I'm pretty new to the deck overall, primarily a Delver player looking to play some Tundras

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

SFM/Bskull seems really good against Burn for starters. In other MUs though I don't see where that package would offer us anything that we were lacking. In other words, other MUs where the Stoneblade package is good are MUs that are in our favor already.

Incidentally, I'm having trouble against it. Here's my list:

4x Flooded Strand
    4x Scalding Tarn
    4x Island
    2x Plains
    3x Tundra
    2x Volcanic Island
    1x Karakas
    1x Arid Mesa

3x Snapcaster Mage
    1x Vendilion Clique

2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

1x Council's Judgment
    4x Terminus
    3x Ponder
    2x Entreat the Angels

4x Brainstorm
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Counterspell
    4x Force of Will
    1x Spell Pierce

4x Sensei's Divining Top

SB:

1x Containment Priest
    1x Moat
    2x Monastery Mentor
    1x Rest in Peace
    2x Flusterstorm
    1x Vendilion Clique
    1x Venser, Shaper Savant
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Blood Moon
    2x Pyroblast
    2x Wear // Tear

My plan was:

-1 Entreat the Angels
    -2 Swords to Plowshares
    -1 Spell Pierce
    -1 Snapcaster Mage
    -1 Ponder

+1 Rest in Peace
    +2 Flusterstorm
    +1 Surgical Extraction
    +2 Wear // Tear

Would it be worth it to try and find things to cut to bring in the Mentors (probably 1 more Swords and 1 Terminus, going down to 1 and 3, respectively?) Seeing as Burn wins through a combination of both creatures and spells, if I can clog up the board with Mentor and Monks, I can focus my efforts on countering the spells.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    SFM/Bskull seems really good against Burn for starters. In other MUs though I don't see where that package would offer us anything that we were lacking. In other words, other MUs where the Stoneblade package is good are MUs that are in our favor already.

4x Flooded Strand
    4x Scalding Tarn
    4x Island
    2x Plains
    3x Tundra
    2x Volcanic Island
    1x Karakas
    1x Arid Mesa

3x Snapcaster Mage
    1x Vendilion Clique

1x Council's Judgment
    4x Terminus
    3x Ponder
    2x Entreat the Angels

4x Brainstorm
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Counterspell
    4x Force of Will
    1x Spell Pierce

4x Sensei's Divining Top

SB:

1x Containment Priest
    1x Moat
    2x Monastery Mentor
    1x Rest in Peace
    2x Flusterstorm
    1x Vendilion Clique
    1x Venser, Shaper Savant
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Blood Moon
    2x Pyroblast
    2x Wear // Tear

My plan was:

-1 Entreat the Angels
    -2 Swords to Plowshares
    -1 Spell Pierce
    -1 Snapcaster Mage
    -1 Ponder

+1 Rest in Peace
    +2 Flusterstorm
    +1 Surgical Extraction
    +2 Wear // Tear

Would it be worth it to try and find things to cut to bring in the Mentors (probably 1 more Swords and 1 Terminus, going down to 1 and 3, respectively?) Seeing as Burn wins through a combination of both creatures and spells, if I can clog up the board with Mentor and Monks, I can focus my efforts on countering the spells.
    Burn is not as good a MU as everyone says. Personally, i think it is at best 60/40.

On boarding, I personally nv cut STP against burn. it's a very useful source of emergency life gain. Consequently, i will not drop Snapcaster mages as well.

Based on your list, this is what i would do.

- 1 karakas
    - 1 clique
    - 1 Jace
    - 1 terminus
    - 1 entreat
    - 1 council judgements (i think it's too slow, and opens you up to PoP too much) - hard not to cast this without fetching at least 1 tundra. especially when you are focused on UU early games)

+2 flusterstorm
    +2 wear/tear
    +2 mentor

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Should I still bring in a RIP because Exquisite Firecraft and Lavamancer?
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Which Nahiri? If the one, that just's silly since that card doesn't synergize with anything in the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraclesWizard View Post
    i think he was goofing around, but still interesting to say the least....
    Of all people who would be joking around, Joe is not the person to come to mind. If he's playing in a real event, he probably thinks the card is well-positioned and wants to test its potency. He's among the most dominant Miracles players in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by KZhang View Post
    Burn is not as good a MU as everyone says. Personally, i think it is at best 60/40.

On boarding, I personally nv cut STP against burn. it's a very useful source of emergency life gain. Consequently, i will not drop Snapcaster mages as well.

Based on your list, this is what i would do.

- 1 karakas
    - 1 clique
    - 1 Jace
    - 1 terminus
    - 1 entreat
    - 1 council judgements (i think it's too slow, and opens you up to PoP too much) - hard not to cast this without fetching at least 1 tundra. especially when you are focused on UU early games)

+2 flusterstorm
    +2 wear/tear
    +2 mentor
    CutthroatCasual's list is so close to mine, that it's scary.

The SB plan above seems solid, but I disagree on a few details:

I would cut both Jaces, and keep 2 Entreats. They are the best way to stall their creatures, and the best source for creatures to swords if needed (beware of Sulfuric Vortex nerfing life gain!). Also, you don't need to worry about it being countered, so you can slam it ASAP.

I'm uncertain about the RiP. Cutting them off from Spell Mastery and fodder for Lavamancer is probably worth loosing the value from Snapcaster. Remember you don't have to play the RiP until the right moment. (I only play one Flusterstorm, so don't need to make space for two).

Keeping in all 4 Terminus is critical for two reasons:
    1) Pain-free removal for Eidolon
    2) CMC=6 for Fireblast

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Of all people who would be joking around, Joe is not the person to come to mind. If he's playing in a real event, he probably thinks the card is well-positioned and wants to test its potency. He's among the most dominant Miracles players in the world.
    I know who Joe is...calm down. He has joked around many times with his deck testing stuff out while laughing ridiculously hard doing it.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

4x Flooded Strand
    4x Scalding Tarn
    4x Island
    2x Plains
    3x Tundra
    2x Volcanic Island
    1x Karakas
    1x Arid Mesa

3x Snapcaster Mage
    1x Vendilion Clique

1x Council's Judgment
    4x Terminus
    3x Ponder
    2x Entreat the Angels

4x Brainstorm
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Counterspell
    4x Force of Will
    1x Spell Pierce

4x Sensei's Divining Top

SB:

1x Containment Priest
    1x Moat
    2x Monastery Mentor
    1x Rest in Peace
    2x Flusterstorm
    1x Vendilion Clique
    1x Venser, Shaper Savant
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Blood Moon
    2x Pyroblast
    2x Wear // Tear

My plan was:

-1 Entreat the Angels
    -2 Swords to Plowshares
    -1 Spell Pierce
    -1 Snapcaster Mage
    -1 Ponder

+1 Rest in Peace
    +2 Flusterstorm
    +1 Surgical Extraction
    +2 Wear // Tear

Snapcaster, STP, and pierce some of the best cards in the matchup after counterbalance. Surgical extraction? What is the point of this? Let them resolve a free shock so you can reduce can exile one of their redundant spells? RIP is waaaay to narrow as well it basically turns off a small part of 4-6 cards in their deck.

You beat burn by perserving your lift total as much as possible, this will run them out of cards. 3 life basically equals 1 card. This is NOT like vs delver, where you use your lift total as resource and then stabilize and lock them out at late as possible.

This means if you have a flusterstorm or pierce, you cast in the first available target. If they attack you with a Swiftspear on turn 1 for 1 damage, you swords it. If they bolt your mentor, you swords it in response. This is basically the same as duressing them and hitting a bolt, a play anyone would call good. Other than that, the only real trick is playing around firecraft.

Based your board I would do this:
    - 2 Jace
    - 2 Terminus
    - 1 CJ
    - 1 Volc
    - 1 Entreat
    +1 Clique
    +2 Fluster
    +2 Wear/tear
    +2 Mentor

If this deck loses to burn, its usually by turn 4-5. Jace, terminus and entreat are too slow and are win more in the matchup. If you get to a point where you can cast a jace/entreat without losing, probably any threat could win the game. Except a threat like clique can also provided early disruption, information and act as creature removal. Terminus costing 6 is not a reason to keep it in the deck.

Like others have said though, the matchup is not a bye. If played correctly by both players it is probably 60-40 in miracles favor.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    Based your board I would do this:
    - 2 Jace
    - 2 Terminus
    - 1 CJ
    - 1 Volc
    - 1 Entreat
    +1 Clique
    +2 Fluster
    +2 Wear/tear
    +2 Mentor

If this deck loses to burn, its usually by turn 4-5. Jace, terminus and entreat are too slow and are win more in the matchup. If you get to a point where you can cast a jace/entreat without losing, probably any threat could win the game. Except a threat like clique can also provided early disruption, information and act as creature removal. Terminus costing 6 is not a reason to keep it in the deck.

Like others have said though, the matchup is not a bye. If played correctly by both players it is probably 60-40 in miracles favor.
    You've made some good points. Long story short, it comes down to how willing the Burn player will keep or take out Searing cards. If he decides to keep it in, or add more from SB, then your decision of adding more creatures in Clique/Mentor will backfire unnecessarily.

Terminus is not just for the CB flipping against Fireblast. Terminus is Also another way to take care Guide and other creatures without taking Eidolon damage, like you wrote, every life point matters. Say the Burn player happens to resolve a Vortex, somehow. Entreat is the only realistic way of racing, hence I wouldn't take it out.

going to attempt the 5th consecutive 5-0 in an hour or two @ twitch.tv/anzi104 !

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by AnziD View Post
    going to attempt the 5th consecutive 5-0 in an hour or two @ twitch.tv/anzi104 !
    If only I could watch these at work! I'll try to check it out later this week.

Should I still bring in a RIP because Exquisite Firecraft and Lavamancer?
    Personally, i won't. For RIP to be effective,
    - i need to draw it
    - they need to draw their Exquisite Firecraft
    - i need to have a counterspell to be able to counter it.
    - i risk making my SCM useless

I also would not want to keep too many miracle cards postboard. As TheArchitect mentioned, games often end by T4-T5. this places too much dependency on a BS if you happen to open with them, since you can't depend on Jace. And.. you might not draw a brainstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    If only I could watch these at work! I'll try to check it out later this week.
    Yeah unfortunately I got cremated lol went like 3-5 in matches dying to Painter, Eldrazi x2, Junk Walkers (Nahiri, Elspeth, Lili), and some other non blue deck

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Isn't Painter a good MU? I've never had major trouble against it.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

He lost a single match to it, doesn't mean it's any better or worse a matchup. Around 50/50 in my experience, I've lost to it a beaten it countless times.
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

it is very, very draw dependant.

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

He actually had the game locked up, but the painter player had a very weird sideboard plan against him, multiple lightning bolts and sulfur elementals, as well as Ajani Vengeant. The match actually ended with triple bolt to the face, which is very atypical. The entire day was full of unluckyness, and it happens. There were a few mistakes made along the way due to receiving chat input. Streaming while playing miracles is a LOT harder than most people realize, and those who do it regularly deserve quite a bit of praise for being able to do so, like Joe, for example. He and I might differ in our philosophies, but he's a monster and I for sure recognize that.

Until yesterday, Anzi was 20-0 with his miracles list on MTGO leagues, consecutively, which is no small feat at all. It's actually extremely impressive. So the factors included here was some amount of bad luck, a few punts, and most of all, doing all this while also streaming. It's a pretty important distinction to make and understand, so don't pass it off.

That being said, I still recommend going through the VOD and watching it all anyway, you see the express power level that a Predict-focused build provides, even if there are some misplays along the way. I certainly enjoyed the stream :D

It was a combination of a lot of things. G1 I think I threw? He resolved Ensnaring Bridge so the 1 JTMS was my out. I found it but then for some reason refused to cast it out of fear of blast, even though 3 were in the yard already. G2 was abnormal like Min said, utley's list was very hateful to Monastery Mentor which makes sense since the deck naturally suffers to the nonblue threats from the Miracles deck. An EE for 4 killed my CB that I double Force'd to get onto the board and the game kinda ended after that.

I'm wondering Flusterstorm is worth considering in this matchup
    a) Only costs U, huge against Moon effects, which there may be 1 or 2 of lingering around postboard. I guess its not just U, since I'm also casting a blue spell that needs to be protected, so maybe I'd need like 3 Islands in play for it to be good?
    b) Interacts with the most critical part of the game, ie the fight over Counterbalance

However... its Flusterstorm..................................................................... and my gut says that it just seems weird to have it vs the Sol Land deck. Dunno, might try it out at least once

No, I don't think Flusterstorm is where the fight is.

Lossett did defeat a Painter deck at Players' Championship.
    https://youtu.be/XVsbOsRbQmc

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

I took third at CardKingdom's 1k tournament with Alphastryk's exact 75. List was sweet, Stoneforge was great in almost every matchup. I love transforming into a fishier deck postboard.

This tournament's meta was soooo skewed. From 1st to 5th place, 4 of the decks were Miracles. Miracles was 19% of the field with a 69% match win rate (thanks to Lordofthepit for the numbers). That's just utter dominance. Full standings and archetype breakdown is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByO...h0T0JzaUE/view

List
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Island
    2 Plains
    3 Scalding Tarn
    3 Tundra
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Counterbalance
    1 Counterspell
    2 Entreat the Angels
    4 Force of Will
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Ponder
    2 Predict
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Spell Snare
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Terminus

// Sideboard:
    1 Batterskull
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Council's Judgment
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Izzet Staticaster
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Wear // Tear
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Thread Information