Page 468 of 645 FirstFirst ... 368418458464465466467468469470471472478518568 ... LastLast
Results 9,341 to 9,360 of 12895

Thread: Miracle Control

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Re: [DTB] Miracle Control

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    if that was for me, I meant the mirror match :|

Vendilion and Blasts are useful in the mirror match not so much elsewhere
    Shardless, Show and Tell, storm, Delver matches?

All these matches are much more common than Death and Taxes.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    TBH I'm not a fan of playing REB against Storm, either. I'm assuming that's the MU Poron is talking about.
    Sure, that's reasonable.

I'd much, much rather have REB than either Swords or Terminus (or the 2nd plains, or judgement), though.

I usually board, with my list:
    -3 Terminus, Swords,
    -1 Plains, -1 Judgement

+2 Flusterstorm, +1 Clique (2 then), +1 Ęthersworn Canonist, +2 REB effects, +1 Engineered Explosives, +1 Izzet Staticaster.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    Sure, that's reasonable.

I'd much, much rather have REB than either Swords or Terminus (or the 2nd plains, or judgement), though.

I usually board, with my list:
    -3 Terminus, Swords,
    -1 Plains, -1 Judgement

+2 Flusterstorm, +1 Clique (2 then), +1 Ęthersworn Canonist, +2 REB effects, +1 Engineered Explosives, +1 Izzet Staticaster.
    I was gunna comment on you taking out all removal but saw you have Staticaster, which hedges against spicy BB tech and Young Pyro. Good man.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Due to recent complaints concerning the quality of posts in this very thread I highly encourage (read: presuppose) every single one of you to formulate your posts in a very clear cut form of premises/ideas/test results followed by a conclusion or question. This means there will be no more one-sentence-respones AT ALL. Have I made myself clear here? If you're not following the site rules, you can expect warnings. Participate in a respectful and elaborate way or leave.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Last edited by Einherjer; 01-18-2016 at 03:39 PM.
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

So yesterday i top4'd at my local monthly legacy league with a brew im testing. Im not sure this belongs here but this decklists is closest to miracles than to any other deck.

Lands:
    4 polluted delta
    4 flooded strand
    2 arid mesa
    4 island
    2 plains
    3 tundra
    2 volcanic island

Creatures:
    3 snapcaster mage
    3 monastery mentor

Planeswalkers:
    2 Jace, the mind sculptor

Instants&Sorcs:
    4 brainstorm
    3 ponder
    4 force of will
    2 counterspell
    2 spell pierce
    1 spell snare
    4 swords to plowshares
    1 supreme verdict
    1 council's judgement

Others:
    3 counterbalance
    4 sensei's divining top
    1 engineered explosives

SB:
    2 pyroblast
    1 vendilion clique
    1 blood moon
    1 pithing needle
    1 relic of progenitus
    1 izzet staticaster
    1 meddling mage
    1 surgical extraction
    1 counterflux (yeah i know, i dont have a flusterstorm)
    1 wear/tear
    1 disenchant
    1 entreat the angels
    1 containment priest
    1 pyroclasm

My matchups were:

R1: ANT: 2-0
    R2: Shardles BUG: 2-0
    R3: Elves: 2-0
    R4&5: ID

Top8: Merfolk: 2-0
    Top4: Punishing Blue: 0-2

Overall it performed really well, considering i faced some of the decks worst matchups and fighting elves and merfolk without having any termini wasnt as much as a struggle as i thought it would be. Mentor's board control is insane and swords/EE can handle pinpointed threats they cant, like DRS and flying stuff.

My motivation for this was that im not really comfortable playing terminus at the time (i know its supposed to be one of our best cards), because not only if forces you to switch top (being dead whenever top is, making it more vulnerable to phyrexian revoker/pithing needle and exposing it to abrupt decay) but its an awkward card to have in your hand until you find a BS. That forces you to save your Brainstorms like gold and be more jace dependant in order to optimize them. Not to mention not running them MD makes our control/combo matchup insanely better (except for TES goblins, but i'll take that deal any day of the week).

My game with punishing blue was just nuts, he got out with either sylvan library or chalice turn 1, and then a series of threats i just couldnt handle and i seriously doubt terminus would have helped that much, considering he went for gaddock teeg as soon as he could both games.

I think the one that needs more work is the sideboard consdiering that.

Jul 2010
    twitch.tv/oarsman79

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Due to recent complaints concerning the quality of posts in this very thread I highly encourage (read: presuppose) every single one of you to formulate your posts in a very clear cut form of premises/ideas/test results followed by a conclusion or question. This means there will be no more one-sentence-respones AT ALL. Have I made myself clear here? If you're not following the site rules, you can expect warnings. Participate in a respectful and elaborate way or leave.

The problem with using power to pursue an agenda of questionable value

is that some people don't like being told how they have to interact

and that can lead to resentment even from those who didn't give a damn in the first place.

Use proper capitalization/punctuation/grammar or get the fuck out. It's in the site rules and it goes for this thread and every other on the site. If you have a problem with a moderator's action, you may report the post and leave a message with your concerns. What you should NOT do is derail the thread by posting your grievances in it. -zilla
    Last edited by Zilla; 01-20-2016 at 11:43 AM.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Hi Joe.

I just wish to clarify that what is being asked is nothing more than site policy, the details of can be found here. This is not about stifling speech, discussion or ideas, it's is also not about a grab for power or the pushing of an agenda. What this happens to be in truth is the outcome of placing more active people in positions of authority. We are more able to see things that are not reported and also more likely to take note of situations and act upon them.

I myself do not feel like it is much of an issue to ask people not to post comments in a manor better suited for irc. This is not a chat program, it is a forum. If you need something said that only takes a sentence then I would not personally see the harm in that. But if you happen to just be responding to a sting of conversations not suited to the purpose of the site, well, we have site rules.

I also do not feel that in this case, even if you think it an agenda, it's of questionable value to ask people to post comments in a legible manor. As we have people here who visits and post from nations where English is not a common language, it is not at all unreasonable to ask for those of us who do know language not to make life harder for those who don't.

If you have any questions or issues, please let me know and I will do my best to help you out. You can also message Zilla as the primary site admin if you feel we have over reached.

Dice.
    Last edited by Dice_Box; 01-20-2016 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Fixing link.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post

I don't think any thanks are in order for our understanding.... because we don't understand at all. You can't tell us how to write in a forum that already has a set of "rules". I used quotations because this is the fucking source and the rules pretty much have always been to not attack people and that's basically it.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Wow I haven't been on here in a while, but I am just going to refrain from posting if I have to carefully formulate a post with premises, ideas, and test results followed by a conclusion. I have never seen anything like that in the years I've been on this forum. People are having a dialogue about useful information. Lists are fine, but the threads that are the most useful on here are actual dialogues rather than walls of list text.

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    I don't think any thanks are in order for our understanding.... because we don't understand at all. You can't tell us how to write in a forum that already has a set of "rules". I used quotations because this is the fucking source and the rules pretty much have always been to not attack people and that's basically it.
    While this may have been true at times, we have always had a very specific set of guidelines in regards to posting. Just because there have been a bunch of lazy mods / admins in the past (like myself) that have let this behavior slide due to our inability to keep up with the site and life, doesn't mean it's encouraged or will be tolerated. There have been many complaints about the quality of the site going downhill and we brought on new mods specifically to address this. Please respect the site rules and the mods that are trying to clean up and improve the quality of these forums.

Please direct any questions / concerns in regards to this directly to the Mods and Admins, we'd be happy to discuss it in detail. Let's not pollute this thread any further.

/backontopic
    Monday Night Magic: http://rfimd2000.tripod.com/images/mnm/mondaynight.htm

Team
    Left
    Field

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Just to add to what Jander said, the very reason we promoted new moderators was so that we could more easily keep up with the enforcement of site rules. A large part of this is quality control in posting. The site rules are very clear about proper use of capitalization, punctuation, and grammar. Users are expected to follow these rules. If you don't like being told how to post, you're welcome not to. Thanks for your understanding.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Let's get this back on track, following the "new" guidelines for posting :)

I recently played a mirror match against a friend of mine. He won game 1 with a Top > Counterbalance with Force backup.

For game two, I sideboarded the following:

-4 Terminus, - 4 Swords, -1 Plains
    +3 Red Elemental Blast, +2 Flusterstorm, +2 Wear//Tear, +1 Vendilion Clique, +1 Engineered Explosives.

My maindeck winconditions were: 2x Jace, 3x Snapcaster, 2x Mentor, 1x Clique with 0 non-basic utility lands in the 75.

My hand for game two was this:

Do you think this is a keep?

Obviously, with any land besides the basic plains, this is a snap-keep.

What do you think?

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

Let's get this back on track, following the "new" guidelines for posting :)

I recently played a mirror match against a friend of mine. He won game 1 with a Top > Counterbalance with Force backup.

+3 Red Elemental Blast, +2 Flusterstorm, +2 Wear//Tear, +1 Vendilion Clique, +1 Engineered Explosives.

My maindeck winconditions were: 2x Jace, 3x Snapcaster, 2x Mentor, 1x Clique with 0 non-basic utility lands in the 75.

Obviously, with any land besides the basic plains, this is a snap-keep.

What do you think?
    Would need to see the rest of your list to decide fully, but I think it's a fine keep. Having FoW backup is pretty important and depending on prowess and weakness gauged from the opponent. If you're comfortable digging for lands early on, it's a keep for me. Also, it's a much better keep on the draw than on the play.

That basic plains is always a dagger though :(

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Minniehajj View Post
    Would need to see the rest of your list to decide fully, but I think it's a fine keep. Having FoW backup is pretty important and depending on prowess and weakness gauged from the opponent. If you're comfortable digging for lands early on, it's a keep for me. Also, it's a much better keep on the draw than on the play.

That basic plains is always a dagger though :(
    My list, at that time, was pretty stock:
    4x Force, 2x Counterspell, 1x Council's Judgement with 4x Ponder.

2x Mentor, 3x Snapcaster, 2x Clique, 2x Jace as Wincon's after board.

He won game 1, and I elected to be on the draw for game two.

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

My list, at that time, was pretty stock:
    4x Force, 2x Counterspell, 1x Council's Judgement with 4x Ponder.

2x Mentor, 3x Snapcaster, 2x Clique, 2x Jace as Wincon's after board.

He won game 1, and I elected to be on the draw for game two.
    If you're on the draw game 2, I think this is 100% a keep.

You're likely to see a land in the first 2 draws and will still have a top in play if you don't hit off the first draw. Did you keep it? FoW is enough defense for turns 2-3 and the hand seems fine if you hit a few lands. You'll see a few cards. And plains will likely be top fodder for a few turns anyway.

I would keep this hand as well. Given that you have double Force of Will in order to not get locked out too fast should give you a fighting chance to draw out of it, especially if you have Top. So, what I was wondering... Did you not board out the 2nd Plains because you thought you needed the land or because you didn't have better cards in the sideboard? (if its the latter, then I'd suggest taking out the 2nd Plains and keeping 1 Terminus in case your opponent has Monastery Mentor? - I'm not sure but I think this would be better, what do you think? It seems like you only have 1 EE and no Staticaster/Sulfur/Terminus... What has your experience been?)

Great choice of Roter Urknall, too!

What do you think?
    The first question we should ask is: Which Miracle build is your opponent on? Predict Miracles? Mentor Miracles? Legend/Cavern Miracles?
    If your opponent's is on Predict and/or Mentor Miracles, why are we SB-out all the Terminus?

As to the opening 7, I would mull. The reasoning is simple. First, the mulligan rule allow people to be more aggressive, looking for better opening. Second, let's say it's a tournament setting and you lost game 1; you want to be pro-active game 2. Your opening hand simply says: drop turn 1 SDT and then wait it out until you have the correct color of Mana source to do anything pro-active, counter everything relevant in the mean-time. That's crappy when you lost game 1 already. We don't know how much time was spent on game 1, in a 50 min competitive match setting, time can be an issue.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

I've been screwed a bit too often with only 19 lands. I also think it's fine to board both plains, in case you are playing that actively actually draws you cards - Predict is likely the only candidate. I think 20 is the lowest we can go, without predict, that's at least what I've experienced. I'm not so afraid of a mentor resolving, with my list. I also know his list, and I know he plays 1 Mentor in the board, and two entreats preboard, which makes flusterstorm much more viable.

Regarding the Urknall: What about the Willenskraft, Gegengewicht, Weissagekreisel des Sensies, Gedankenwirbel? ;)

This was in early december, ie. before Predict Miracles became a thing. He is on Angels, 1 karakas, 1 vensor, 1 clique - 0 Caverns. He has a single Mentor in the board.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

(...) I elected to be on the draw for game two.
    This may be a silly question from an inexperienced Miracles pilot, but why would you choose to be on the draw?

My reasoning is as follows (Tx = turn x, Px = player x):
    T1-P1: P1 has 7 cards. He gets to do stuff.
    T1-P2: P2 has 8 cards, one of which unknown at start of the game. He gets to do stuff.
    T2-P1: P1 now has 8 cards. He gets to do stuff again.

Being on the play gives me a total of 8 cards after my opponent has had his first turn, which is the same as being on the draw. Being on the play allows me to play my lands earlier, dodging mana-costing counterspells on my Top and perhaps also Counterbalance, and in general allows me to take the initiative. The only advantage for being on the draw (that I can see) is that it allows my first turn to start with 8 cards, which nets me 8/7 = 1,14 times more options, which help to plan my early turns. Does this increase in options for turn 1 and the planning for the turns after that outweigh the benefits of getting to play your stuff faster? Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    This may be a silly question from an inexperienced Miracles pilot, but why would you choose to be on the draw?

My reasoning is as follows (Tx = turn x, Px = player x):
    T1-P1: P1 has 7 cards. He gets to do stuff.
    T1-P2: P2 has 8 cards, one of which unknown at start of the game. He gets to do stuff.
    T2-P1: P1 now has 8 cards. He gets to do stuff again.

Being on the play gives me a total of 8 cards after my opponent has had his first turn, which is the same as being on the draw. Being on the play allows me to play my lands earlier, dodging mana-costing counterspells on my Top and perhaps also Counterbalance, and in general allows me to take the initiative. The only advantage for being on the draw (that I can see) is that it allows my first turn to start with 8 cards, which nets me 8/7 = 1,14 times more options, which help to plan my early turns. Does this increase in options for turn 1 and the planning for the turns after that outweigh the benefits of getting to play your stuff faster? Or am I missing something?
    In a grindy game where every card matters beeing on the draw is better (Cardadvantage>tempo). However in the miracles mirror a counterbalance is so important that it renders a high number of these extra cards more or less useless.
    The dilemma is this: You would prefer to be on the play since you can protect your turn3 counterbalance with a red elemental blast but at the same time your opponent will (assuming he played land each turn and did not cast a spell turn 2) have 2 mana to defend himself with. So basicly your benefit in tempo will be lost as soon as you try to leverage it by casting an important spell. What matters is really how your opponent sequence his spells and the more patient he is the better it is to be on the draw. During sideboarding you will not know at which part of the game there will be a crucial counter-war over counterbalance so therefor neither approach is "correct". The earlier the better to be on the play (as you will have more mana) and the later the better to be on the draw (since it's more likely you will be able to cast that extra card for having more mana available). I personally belive that I am more favored going into the lategame in general so I prefer to be on the play and not die to a turn 1 top turn 2 cb with multiple cantrips in hand that I did not have time to transform into something useful.

EDIT: This is why forcing your opponent to react at his/her end of turn is so good because either you resolve something good (without any risk of them punish you with Counterbalance etc) or you choke them on mana when they do. Predict, Snapcaster mage and Vendilion Clique are very good in the mirror because of this.
    Last edited by Mackan; 01-21-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Thread Information