Page 635 of 645 FirstFirst ... 135535585625631632633634635636637638639 ... LastLast
Results 12,681 to 12,700 of 12895

Thread: Miracle Control

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

Re: Miracle Control

2 Miracles players are 9-0 at GP Vegas.
    Quote Originally Posted by B88 View Post

People Use Statistics as a Drunk Uses a Lamppost — For Support Rather Than Illumination

Quote Originally Posted by Minniehajj View Post
    That's brilliant!

So bad no Miracle match was streamed in twitch day one

Wizards didn't want to deal with the twitch chat lobbying for a Portent and/or Predict ban.

Very exciting! Interested to hear some specifics on the builds when the time is right (Mentor vs. ETA; UW vs. UWr; etc.).

Not as interesting as the GP, but I just got a chance to play this for the first time (no MTGO and have been out of town), going 2-1-1 at my local Thursday night Legacy. Wins vs. BUG Delver (Hymn) and Nic Fit; one loss and one draw vs. D&T. Losses were due to flooding against D&T, a greedy keep vs. BUG Delver that never found a second land, getting swarmed without finding a Terminus by D&T (with Prelate on 1 in one game), and plenty of my own mistakes as well. Two mistakes that stand out in particular are [1] not saving an UA for SFM in response to its trigger; and [2] keeping a one-lander on the draw and leading with Ponder instead of Portent out of habit, then not finding the land and having to Portent on turn 2, where I found a land but was unable to play it that turn. I also felt somewhat lucky to find ETA or Mentor fairly early in most games, which helped me close out games quickly. Playing 3 decks without countermagic also made things a bit easier I'm sure. I won two games directly with Jace, and every post-board game with Mentor or Mentor + ETA, though Jace played a role in probably 5/7 of my wins.

I'm on the UWr build and am still working out sideboarding plans. Unfortunately I didn't play any matchups where I brought in Blasts, so I couldn't evaluate the red splash for those. (I didn't bring them in against BUG Delver since I don't have a basic Mountain, but maybe I should have?) I liked having Blood Moon for the BUG matchup: even though it ate an Abrupt Decay with floated mana, that cleared the path for a Mentor which won the game. I'm not sure it's correct, but I brought in Mentor in every match. I'm also not sure how much my opponents actually boarded out their removal, which makes me question whether it's worth just putting Mentor in the main deck... Will have to test more, to be sure.

Overall, the deck was a lot of fun. More fun, probably, than Counter-Top Miracles, even though it's not as strong. I really enjoyed how complex the lines of play and interactions are, with UA, Portent, and Predict standing out in this regard. Portent in particular was great -- I cast it on my opponents close to half the time, either because the board was clear and I had a Predict in hand or because I had Jace out. It felt pretty great to have that much control over my opponents' draws, and even better with Jace or Predict to complement it.

With any luck, I'll be able to play two times next week (three if I forego Modern) and get some more reps in.

Just saw Matthew Chung on UWr Miracle defeating Lukas Blohon on Grixis Control under camera.

Matthew Chung proceeded to 10-0.

Games were insane! Go Miracle

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by entreri_fans View Post
    Just saw Matthew Chung on UWr Miracle defeating Lukas Blohon on Grixis Control under camera.

One of the best matches I've ever seen. Easily the highlight of the coverage this weekend so far. Go Matt and Sam!!

People Use Statistics as a Drunk Uses a Lamppost — For Support Rather Than Illumination

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

Sam Roukas and Matt Chung are paired against each other this round, sadly. Out of this, 1 will remain undefeated.
    EDIT: Sam wins. Sam is now 11-0, Matt is now 10-1. They are both still on the fast track to the top 8.

Draw-Go Disciple
    Feb 2017
    Clermont-Ferrand

Let's go guys !

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

Wheels fell off in the end as all of the Miracles players played against one another and led to all of them getting knocked out from top 8 contention :(
    Still, excellent showing for the deck considering how far it had come from the ban, and there is much work left to be done!

Jan 2016
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by entreri_fans View Post
    One of the best matches I've ever seen. Easily the highlight of the coverage this weekend so far. Go Matt and Sam!!
    I'm not particularly a fan of Blohon, but actually to me it seemed one of the worst match coverages and quite a new demonstration of why people hated miracles.
    It was a show of topdecking a blind terminus, then topdecking a blind jace after his hand was stripped away, then topdecking a blind pyroblast for opposing jace... and in the end a very timed topdeck of mentor in both games. Also, I would note how he always didn't miss a land drop for exactly four turns and then drew only spells, while the opponent went flooded both times. I just saw plenty of luck on miracle side.

Also I think we should note that while Miracles didn't reach top16, two UW control list got there (and a BUG depth crop loam list quite crazy)... I would be curious to know the numbers of day2 representation in the metagame of these archetypes. Obviously numbers are too low to have statistical significance, but it seems an indication that actually UW controls could be better positioned than Miracles... in the real world outside of MTGO.

Draw-Go Disciple
    Feb 2017
    Clermont-Ferrand

Quote Originally Posted by talpa View Post
    I'm not particularly a fan of Blohon, but actually to me it seemed one of the worst match coverages and quite a new demonstration of why people hated miracles.
    It was a show of topdecking a blind terminus, then topdecking a blind jace after his hand was stripped away, then topdecking a blind pyroblast for opposing jace... and in the end a very timed topdeck of mentor in both games. Also, I would note how he always didn't miss a land drop for exactly four turns and then drew only spells, while the opponent went flooded both times. I just saw plenty of luck on miracle side.

Also I think we should note that while Miracles didn't reach top16, two UW control list got there (and a BUG depth crop loam list quite crazy)... I would be curious to know the numbers of day2 representation in the metagame of these archetypes. Obviously numbers are too low to have statistical significance, but it seems an indication that actually UW controls could be better positioned than Miracles... in the real world outside of MTGO.
    Well UW Stoneblade is a strong deck, and I always found that splashing for Esper wasn't really needed.

Miracle still managed to go to a 10-0 before starting to be paired each other, any decks that is undefeated day 1 is powerful enough. You can't top deck 9 rounds.

I am just sad they didn't make the finish, it was very important that Miracle get some coverage in a big top. Still congratulations to them.

No Miracles decks in the Top 16 whatsoever.

At least now Miracles is exactly where it should be - just another Tier 1-1.5 deck among many instead of being the de facto best control deck/blue deck/everything.

I'd say Miracles with Portent is definitely playable and strong but not any stronger than Stoneblade, or Deathblade, or straight Ux control without Miracles. Just different.

I see this from a different point of view. We dont have the metagame data, but I am pretty sure there wasnt many miracles playing the event at all. Top 64 its a impressive finish for a deck we just start building. Remember Roukas lost his top8 finish in the last round.

By the way, got a 5x0 finish playing mentor sb. Ps. I am using relic because I dont have the tix for surgical yet. list is up o mtggoldfish.

Seriously?

I enjoyed watching the match. It was interesting and intense, but not even close to top50 best matches I've ever seen and easily very far from a highlight of coverage. The Miracles dude had just the sickest topdecks of all times, while Blohon drew crap after crap after crap despite tons of looks.
    I particularly liked how he never found anything good with his JTMS-Brainstorms, while Miracles just needed 1 (!) JTMS-Brainstorm (after plussing for ages) to find all the cards needed. That being said: MtG is still a card game with variance involved. It was a fine match. I just really didn't think of it as a strong showing of the deck, but rather a strong showing of how luck can turn around games you really shouldn't win. Everyone thought Blohon would win g2, then Miracles topdecked the most insane Brainstorm ever, while Blohon bricked again... Whatever... I agree that Miracles seems in a decent spot right now. Strong, not busted and still room for improvement.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by laywer View Post
    I see this from a different point of view. We dont have the metagame data, but I am pretty sure there wasnt many miracles playing the event at all. Top 64 its a impressive finish for a deck we just start building. Remember Roukas lost his top8 finish in the last round.

By the way, got a 5x0 finish playing mentor sb. Ps. I am using relic because I dont have the tix for surgical yet. list is up o mtggoldfish.
    That's how I see it too, I think the overall win % of the deck will be very high, especially considering the deck is still 'new'.

Congrats on the 5-0! Was wondering about the Relic, thanks for explaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by talpa View Post

The Match
    I understand your argument. On the surface, it seemed like the Miracles player topdeck-ed luck into victory. However, how did he put himself in that position to receive such luck? In many matches against Grixis, you could have simply get blown out by YP + Therapy early, or just die to TNN coming from the side of Grixis. In any matches, if Miracles players were good enough to navigate into the mid-game with relatively clear board and land-drops, the deck by design has stronger power hitters like Jace and Mentor. It's always one cantrip away from establishing overwhelming advantages, even if he or she has no hand after the early game.

The Meta
    The lesson about the GP result is how powerful TNN can be in the fair match-up. I find that especially true against Lands and DnT.

Imo It was not a luck based match. Grixis failed to close the game fast and transitioned in the lategame territory where having 3-4 more cantrip+predict+more impactful cards made the difference.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Drzed View Post
    Imo It was not a luck based match. Grixis failed to close the game fast and transitioned in the lategame territory where having 3-4 more cantrip+predict+more impactful cards made the difference.

Well, it did help the miracles player that Blohon found 0 of 3 pyroblast allthough cantripping a million times

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    That's how I see it too, I think the overall win % of the deck will be very high, especially considering the deck is still 'new'.

Congrats on the 5-0! Was wondering about the Relic, thanks for explaining.
    THanks!
    Just got a 4x1 right now. I am not liking mentor MD. Are you using 2 main?

2x0 ANT
    1x2 BUG Nic Fit - he had some great draws, like Nissa and JTMS
    2x0 UR Delver - pretty dificult MU like all the one involving a lot of burn spells. Do you side in EC against them?
    2x0 Grixis Tezz
    2x0 BR Reanimator

Jan 2016
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Drzed View Post

Also to twdnn....

You guys must be kidding. Seriously you believe he played well, or that miracle deserves winning automatically when you reach turn x?

It was a kind of control mirror. Blohon had many outs and always played to maximize the cards seen.
    While the miracle guy always fatesealed, going directly for the win way too early before establishing the control of the game. If one deserved to see the pyroblast, that wasn't him.

Seriously guy, that's why people hates miracles: always denying the evidence, be the unfairness of his strength before the ban, or the luck in this game (while playing the opposite of optimum)

Thread Information