Page 633 of 645 FirstFirst ... 133533583623629630631632633634635636637643 ... LastLast
Results 12,641 to 12,660 of 12895

Thread: Miracle Control

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

Re: Miracle Control

We are now the #2 winning-est Deck on MTGGoldfish:
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy#paper
    Quote Originally Posted by B88 View Post

People Use Statistics as a Drunk Uses a Lamppost — For Support Rather Than Illumination

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Arschmann View Post
    I am playing bum_man's list except I run 2x Volc instead of the Karakas and a board with Moons and Canonists instead of Meddling Mages. I'm not sure about Wear/Tear: we have 2 maindeck ways of dealing with a resolved Chalice and I don't feel like Wear/Tear will stop Sneak Attack. It feels like it is a viable list moving forward, although there are still awful matchups like Burn that I'm not sure we can stop.
    I'm actually close to cutting karakas altogether for a 2nd Volcanic or a mountain since I'll most likely be cutting clique for a 4th snapcaster and a 3rd Terminus for a 4th stp. The wear /tear was supposed to be a disenchant but I didn't find my copy so I just ran wear /tear instead. This slot is to supplement the UA MD against chalice and other lock pieces which is wildly popular where I play.

Me playing meddling mage over canonist is me expecting it to be better vs burn and eldrazi (which I was expecting to be popular during the event) compared to canonist while also having game vs combo (storm, reanimator, show and tell). I'm still on the fence with these slots because meddling mage performed great for me during the tournament. But elves and storm matchups became significantly worse for the deck, prompting me to think about running canonists.

On the topic of AK, it could warrant some testing but on the offset, I really like the mill part of predict on my library to weed out dead cards as the games go on. It's virtually like visions in shardless bug but we draw better because it's 1 less dead draw. It may be harder to get max value with AK as well because we don't have a way to accelerate the drawing and casting of the AKs in the deck to try and draw more than 1 card i.e. Intuition.
    Why so serious?

Hey:-)

I've stumbled across this deck (mainly losing against it^^) and I have already played some matches with it.

To start out with the deck, I used ItIsUnfair's list: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/665486#online.

While Im already familiar with the main deck plan and the most important interactions, I found it difficult to sideboard correctly - especially cutting certain cards (maybe like Jace, Predict and Cantrips?). Sometimes I want to shave those, but they are essentially the backbone of the deck...So what are your basic strategies when sideboarding?

Best regards,

TF

Quote Originally Posted by bum_man View Post
    I'm actually close to cutting karakas altogether for a 2nd Volcanic or a mountain since I'll most likely be cutting clique for a 4th snapcaster and a 3rd Terminus for a 4th stp. The wear /tear was supposed to be a disenchant but I didn't find my copy so I just ran wear /tear instead. This slot is to supplement the UA MD against chalice and other lock pieces which is wildly popular where I play.
    The Karakas was mainly there just because we could afford it when we played strictly UW. Once you splash red Karakas and the fifth Island goes out the door. Having one Volcanic and keeping the Karakas is probably a bad choice as you are more susceptible to wasteland and you can't blast twice in a turn.

Quote Originally Posted by scry_me_a_river View Post
    Hey:-)

I've stumbled across this deck (mainly losing against it^^) and I have already played some matches with it.

To start out with the deck, I used ItIsUnfair's list: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/665486#online.

While Im already familiar with the main deck plan and the most important interactions, I found it difficult to sideboard correctly - especially cutting certain cards (maybe like Jace, Predict and Cantrips?). Sometimes I want to shave those, but they are essentially the backbone of the deck...So what are your basic strategies when sideboarding?

Best regards,

TF
    Force usually comes out against fair decks in numbers ranging from 1-4 depending on what you board in. CS comes out too, unless you keep a few for a troublesome walker.

Jace mainly comes out in matchups where he is either 1) Too slow (Combo, burn etc) OR 2) too hard to protect (decks that go wide)

Not sure I would ever cut predict, but if I am really in a pinch I might shave 1 Portent.
    Last edited by kentheide; 06-07-2017 at 09:12 PM.

I just played in league with a new list to try out a few things. The deck got off to such a great start with grindy wins against Grixis Control, Bant Deathblade, and Grixis Delver. They were all pretty hard-fought matches, so I was feeling good about the changes heading into round 4. I was hoping for a couple of well deserved cup cake matches against something like BR Reanimator or ANT. Instead, I got caught on the wrong end of rape scene with back to back matches against Burn

I've never played in a GP before and don't know if a pair of byes is worth much, but I sure hope it helps keep that damn deck as far away from me as possible!

Would it be worth trying a singleton Leyline of Sanctity in the sideboard even if chances are low with just one, if you live to turn four and dig it up it would be a bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by beez View Post
    Would it be worth trying a singleton Leyline of Sanctity in the sideboard even if chances are low with just one, if you live to turn four and dig it up it would be a bomb.
    I did some playtesting with 3 copies of Leyline in the SB and did win both matches I played against vs Burn. Of course it was also great against ANT. The problem is that Canonist is a much better card overall and has game against other important matchups like Sneak and Elves. Unfortunately, Canonist is worthless against Burn.

The problem I see with a singleton Leyline is just as you mentioned, the chances of getting it online are really bad ( << 10% of the time will this happen both games, even with an aggressive mulligan strategy ). That might even be fine though, so long as that slot provided some utility in other more prominent matchups, but it's pretty much a dud outside of Storm.

Any update on a primer for this?

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfoot48 View Post
    I did some playtesting with 3 copies of Leyline in the SB and did win both matches I played against vs Burn. Of course it was also great against ANT. The problem is that Canonist is a much better card overall and has game against other important matchups like Sneak and Elves. Unfortunately, Canonist is worthless against Burn.
    It's not as terrible as it seems. Canonist does often buy you 1-2 turns by itself. Timed with a Rift Bolt makes it a free time-walk. It still trades with Eidolon and Guide, and if it sucks up a bolt that's fine too. (Though it opens you to searing effects, they hopefully boarded them out.)

Not sure if any of you run Chill, but I personally run Chill + Tutors for Burn, and board in Chill against all sorts of nonsense. Pfire, Sneak-decks, etc. It's really payed off in spades. Means you probably won't be UWr, or that you'll adjust your side, but if the 'r' is just for Moon then they come in vs different decks anwyay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Isn't Warmth better than Chill? I feel like Burn can just sit and accumulate mana for a few turns and then wipe us out with a Chill in play, but a Warmth or Kor Firewalker really starts punishing their efficiency.

I don't think we have space in the sideboard for either unless your local meta is heavily Burn-centric

That's cool. My Elves friend never cackles as loudly as when he drops a Choke. I'm actually experimenting on a slightly deeper Red splash before deciding to trade my third Volc. Using the above linked version that Maindecks a Blood Moon I'm also adding a Chandra, Torch of Defiance, who's not bad in conjunction with deck manipulation and Blood Moon against wastes. So that's two Maindeck Reds. It will be heavy on creature sweeping and no Mentors but rather also a Maindeck Gideon of the Trials as well, who can attack as a creature that avoids sweepers, unlike tokens. So the win con will lean more on a sweeping the board of creatures often and winning with some Superfriends and a big ETA , hopefully. So with the three Reds I may also consider a Bonfire of the Damned in the board as a 5th Terminus against decks I would side out counters, and possibly a Thunderous Wrath as a fifth STP against Anglersagainst baby 4/5 goyfs before they get to 5/6, and supplement the Pyroblast against non-blue Planeswalkers. It could be that just a Pyroclasm would do instead of any bad Red Miracles. We'll see if I can get all this to work, but in reality it would probably end up being just 4 red cards or so.

Edit: After testing , Chandra is good as is Blood Moon. It is impossible to get two red for Chandra while fetching for Basics for Moon. So if one were tempted to use Chandra it would have to be the card sided out for Blood Moon in those matches.
    Last edited by beez; 06-09-2017 at 03:45 AM.

Played my first matches of new miracle, and miracle in general, at a 33 person tournament today. I ran a rather stock list but with a personal touch. 3 Portent, 4 Swords, 2 UA, 2 Jace, 2Entreat and 1 B2B were my differences from the general lists. I ran no red and 2 mentors in the SB.

I faced Jund, UW landstill, MUD, storm, RUG Delver and Esper Stoneblade. My only wins came from the UW mirror and versus Storm.
    I made a lot of mistakes both in playing and probably in boarding, which is to be expected with a new deck.

Versus Jund I won game 1 with a turn 5 EtA (doubble chance of EtA felt great btw). G2 and G3 Jund hymned me into oblivion, first time taking 2 lands, second time a mentor and a B2B. I boarded out 4 FoW, 1 EtA and in with 2 BEB and mentors and a second B2B. BEB was probably a mistake since the pay-off cards all are green and black.

Versus Landstill i boarded out 4 terminus, 1 EtA and in with 2 disenchant (he ran Myth Realized), 1 B2B and 2 mMentors. Games felt great. Eventhough i cracked several standstills i kept up in CA and my card quality was way higher, not running a bunch of bad lands.

MUD with red for Magus and punishing fire. Won game 1 off EtA on turn 5 (again!) after plowing, snap plowing all his threats. Game two i got locked out with chalice and couldn't come back. Game 3 I got locked out with Magus unable to find a plains with a hand full of white cards. I boarded out 1 counterspell, 1 fow, 1 portent, 1 predict for 2 disenchant, 2 mentors. Not sure when (if ever) to start cutting cantrips and predicts but versus chalice it felt right.

Storm. Mulled game 1 for FoW. He duressed me and won. Game 2 and 3 i rode Canonist to Victory with counterspell backup for removals, as I've been told to do. He had no chance. G3 I ended with 1 flusterstorm, 3 FOW, 1 counterspell and 1 snapcaster in hand. He didn't play decay which played right into the game plan.

Next game versus RUG delver. Maindeck Winter orb and Mongoose was a beating. Post board they were joined by a second Orb and the Nemesises. I boarded wrong I think. Took out 4 fow for 2 disenchant and 2 BEB. Not having access to fow made me loose the counterwars on terminus, and BEB was pretty bad this match-up.

Versus Esper stoneblade i won game I due to scoop after unchecked jace and a bunch of predicts. This guy used to play miracle which I think is why he scooped: he knew the game was lost and wanted time to win the rest. I took out B2B, 1 EtA and in with 2 disenchants. Game 2 and 3 were grindy and I just ended up on the losing side. I think I played a bit to agreesive here. G3 we basicly went draw go until I had 6 lands. I tried toplay jace with counterspell + fow backup and won the counterwar. He cliques me and killed my jace while I was tapped out, after that the game went downhill. Lesson learned: always fateseal first.

I'm happy for feedback on both list and boarding. My gut feeling is 3 jace is correct but that 2 EtA is probably ok preboard. Since we have no soft lock we need to finish the game quicker than old miracle needed to. Next time i think I'm gonna try MD mentors and see how it goes.

On a separate note, every time I see Portent Miracles players cast blind Predict targeting on himself, not his opponent, I shake my head. You're predicting blind, why would you want to be at risk of mil your own win condition (mentor/eta) into graveyard.

The more I give some thoughts, the more I like hydroblast. Keep in mind, if you run Mentor, hydroblast is strictly better than blue elemental blast.

vs Show and tell: Sneak Attack
    vs Storm: Past in Flame, Burning Wish depending on the version
    vs BR Reanimator: faithless looting
    vs Lands: gamble, Pfire, boil, molten vortex
    vs Burn: everything

Versatile enough to warrant a SB slot.

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    On a separate note, every time I see Portent Miracles players cast blind Predict targeting on himself, not his opponent, I shake my head. You're predicting blind, why would you want to be at risk of mil your own win condition (mentor/eta) into graveyard.

The more I give some thoughts, the more I like hydroblast. Keep in mind, if you run Mentor, hydroblast is strictly better than blue elemental blast.

vs Show and tell: Sneak Attack
    vs Storm: Past in Flame, Burning Wish depending on the version
    vs BR Reanimator: faithless looting
    vs Lands: gamble, Pfire, boil, molten vortex
    vs Burn: everything

Versatile enough to warrant a SB slot.
    People should almost always be blind predicting themselves. Milling a win condition is not nearly as threatening as you think it is. It is far more important to predict yourself IF there is a known 4-of in your deck that would increase the odds of your predict hitting. If there isn't, or your opponent is on a mono coloured deck like Merfolk or DnT, only THEN can a case be made to Predict them, but why in the world would you ever lower your chances of hitting on a blind Predict? Milling over a win condition should almost never be an issue.

People Use Statistics as a Drunk Uses a Lamppost — For Support Rather Than Illumination

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

You also help Snapcaster Mage by targeting yourself, which has come up a lot, definitely wrong to target the opponent unless they're mono coloured exactly as Minniehajj says.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Hear that Merfolk, High Tide, DnT and Griselbrand Storm combo players?

Start playing some Snow-Covered Basics!

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by gh0st_b1rd View Post
    Hear that Merfolk, High Tide, DnT and Griselbrand Storm combo players?

Start playing some Snow-Covered Basics!
    I Predicted a Moon Stompy player this week, naming Mountain (hadn't seen any basics yet), flipped Snow Covered! It's a real thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    I Predicted a Moon Stompy player this week, naming Mountain (hadn't seen any basics yet), flipped Snow Covered! It's a real thing!
    have any of you hit a blind predict before? i personally have never succeeded.

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by KZhang View Post
    have any of you hit a blind predict before? i personally have never succeeded.
    Pretty sure I hit a blind predict at least twice in each event I play in, and at least once in each League. I'm very lucky and always have it :>

Thread Information