Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [EDH + HL] Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

Re: [EDH + HL] Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

Thawing glaciers
    In last games I sucesfully combined it with Rings of Brighthearth and Deserted temple. Most such games resulted in win, while the key was to have enough mana from basic lands in later phases of the game. So I tried to use Expedition map on it and the result was almost same.

Saprazzan cove
    When I start to think which card to remove this is the first one I start to think about. Then I will have few games and it comes on starting hand, and I will play it as a first land. Result? Accelerates mana in early game stages, and allow to play more expensive spells later - even without enough lands. And also can be combined with Deserted temple.

It was recommended to me to remove both these lands and try Journeyer's kite instead. Even nonbasic land is safer than any artifact.

Anyways I returned to the idea of Crucible of Worlds. Esper panorama, Grixis panorama or Bant Panorama can be used to de-land library, and with this artifact even to repeat the process. However crucible of worlds attract too much hate, and of course there is a plenty of different fetchlands to be used in similar manner. This strategy is quite passive and require different player to take control of the table (unless Counterbalance with SDT is already in play).
    ...the advance of computerisation, however, has not yet wiped out nations and ethnic groups...

Sep 2009

Laquatus's Creativity
    This effect allows to draw and later discard quite a lot of cards. Looting on steroids some will say. People on gatherer correctly mentioned possibilites with Uba mask and Shared fate. What was missing was fact that this card allows you to draw a lot of cards if you started MOM combo with Stroke of genius. In case that your opponent has more cards in hand than in library you can finish him, and also in EDH if you want to play strategic game and allow different player to take significant card advantage - then you can help ... The effect isnt very different from flipped Jushi apprentice, and can be attached to Elite arcanist

Definitely going to try it.

Mystical tutor
    As this deck is legal for both EDH, and German Highlander I wasnt able to add it into deck. Mystical tutor was banned until April 2014. Isnt banned anymore, so the fun may begin.

Ensoul artifact
    Enchantments which turns other permanents into creatures work similar as untapper wizards within this deck. Most such effect were based on CMC which was bit limiting (Astral Cornucopia). Ensoul artifact isnt limited and can be attached to every mana-producing artifact in this deck, and later to be enhanced by Freed from the real.

Functionally its very similar to Wind zendikon with Lotus Vale. I play 3 non-basic lands which can be used to produce infinite blue mana, 2 other non-basic lands able to produce infinite colorless mana, while High tide and Extraplanar lens can be used to enhance basic lands. Ensoul artifact can enhance only 3 artifacts so the question is if its worthy.

The most effective untappers are those able to untap at least land, artifact or creature - which brings me back to Rimewind taskmage. At least I will try this.
    ...the advance of computerisation, however, has not yet wiped out nations and ethnic groups...

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Offler View Post
    Thawing glaciers
    In last games I sucesfully combined it with Rings of Brighthearth and Deserted temple. Most such games resulted in win, while the key was to have enough mana from basic lands in later phases of the game. So I tried to use Expedition map on it and the result was almost same.
    I really like thisinteraction, beautiful find, though maybe not exactly recent! Is there any chance you may further explore this direction? I guess transmuting Tolaria West for Thespian Stage -> Deserted Temple is quite a "combo of death", but I'm still sharing it.

Btw, is that Jagdpanther as your avatar?

Sep 2009

I was just commenting that even slow ramping can be accelerated a bit even in monoblue. Usually I was limited to "draw a lot of cards, drop a land every turn". Rarely I take another turn by Savor the moment simply to draw another card and drop another land. It acts as Explore.

Previously I was playing Dreamscape artist, and I used him with Rings of Brighthearth. Later I commented it "Well, I havent played a land in my turn yet" and I dropped 5th land in a turn :).

Thawing glaciers is one of the long forgotten cards - at least in our playgroups. It costs 10 euro so its considered to be expensive. People usually dont understand why its worth to play it. If not combined it ensures 1 basic land every 2 turns at least, so it makes mana screws less painful.

If combined with anything which can untap a land (Deserted temple, Fatestitcher, Tidewater minion, Rimewind taskmage) or copy activated ability (Rings of brighthearth) then you can put into play multiple tapped islands per turn. With "untapping combo" (Fatestitcher + Freed from the real + Teferi's Isle) you can activate Thawing glaciers infinite times to put all your basic lands into play.

There are even much more crazy interactions. Thawing glaciers + Wind zendikon + Pemmin's Aura :) But usually I wont sacrifice Pemmin's aura for this as its one of the crucial combo pieces... Maybe I should :)

Jagdpanther: Yes it is. And I am using it on another forum - with different nick...

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

snip...
    Thawing glaciers is one of the long forgotten cards - at least in our playgroups. It costs 10 euro so its considered to be expensive. People usually dont understand why its worth to play it. If not combined it ensures 1 basic land every 2 turns at least, so it makes mana screws less painful.

Jagdpanther: Yes it is. And I am using it on another forum - with different nick...
    Well, I'm not sure if "forgotten" is right word, in our lgs ppl definitely know about it, but deliberately don't use it, as the card is a bit cumbersome. But yeah, it's definitely powerful. Also... ten euros? Is it 1997 again?

I'm going to play the game of "Catch Offler". Give me one week and I swear I'll find you by the very avatar alone.

Sep 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Well, I'm not sure if "forgotten" is right word, in our lgs ppl definitely know about it, but deliberately don't use it, as the card is a bit cumbersome.
    I always considered cards compared to whole deck they are used in. In this particular deck it works surprisingly well. Also I combined it with Sensei's Divining top, Scroll rack and even Counterbalance.

De-landing of library, intentional and precisely timed shuffling, and slow ramping. Only secondary effect which I am not using with this card is Landfall.

Of course - more often i see people with old duals and pain fetch lands or with green ramp as it serves to primary purpose. Here people know that it exists, but nobody owns such card since its too old.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I always considered cards compared to whole deck they are used in. In this particular deck it works surprisingly well. Also I combined it with Sensei's Divining top, Scroll rack and even Counterbalance.

De-landing of library, intentional and precisely timed shuffling, and slow ramping. Only secondary effect which I am not using with this card is Landfall.

Of course - more often i see people with old duals and pain fetch lands or with green ramp as it serves to primary purpose. Here people know that it exists, but nobody owns such card since its too old.
    Yes, I agree. What I meant is that the whole card is designed in a bit unlucky way - not that it could have been better, it'll be much too powerful at least considering IA/AL environment -, as there are lots of "do this" and "do that" about the card like it's etb malus, and the fact that it goes to hand eot, and the search alone, and time constraints, plus maybe some other minor details that for some reason make it a bit annoying card to operate... at least for me and the few friends of mine that played it.
    Otoh, it's pretty good, just maybe that it's not the best card for a pub playing.

edit: I'm surprised with the price you mention, it shouldn't be hard to get it for 3,5 (card) + 1,5 (pp) euro from MKM.

Sep 2009

- Magus of the Future + Rimewind taskmage
    - Future sight + Laquatus's Creativity

Ensoul artifact can be used only with 3 artifacts in my deck and other 2 card can form combo.
    Rimewind taskmage can be used with 9 other permanents and 5 other can form combo.

At this point I just have to take care of snow-covered Islands.

Sep 2009

- Jushi Apprentice + Doubling Cube
    Jushi can be used with Mind Over matter as a way how to improve hand, by adding more cards to it. Doubling cube does similar, but with mana, and does not have summ. sickness. Also its 4th artifact which forms combo with "untapper A" + "untapper B". This removes one quite expensive drawing effect and increases effectivity of few other combos.

Temple bell as competetive card for this slot will be moved to Dakra Mystic.

- Fabricate + Tezzeret the Seeker
    Tezzeret's second ability can search for all artifacts in the deck from the beginning with two exceptions - Astral Cornucopia and Gilded lotus. Since Illusionist's Bracers using him as tutor is much more viable.

Edit:
    Coral Atoll was replaced by Magosi, The Waterveil. This may be temporary or permanent, as Coral Atoll can be used only to produce colorless infinite mana, while Magosi can be used for hardlock with Rings of Brighthearth.
    Last edited by Offler; 07-22-2014 at 04:39 AM.

Sep 2009

So ... new batch of cards arrived, and I need some opinions...

Noble Benefactor
    Since Gifts ungiven are banned this tutor has nice potential. But it will be best to cast and let him die within single turn, while Teferi is on guard. This deck does not have enough sacrifice engines, but I can change my control a bit...

Library of lat-nam
    Not bad at all, but I belive my co-players will let me draw 3 cards every time...

Pendrell mists
    To obtain this enchantment is pretty tricky here. The Tabernacle at Pendrell vale is also being considered, but currently its not available around here... This will solve the trouble with no sacrifice, while make creature control more effective - especially against tokens. The trouble is that "single big bad creature" strategy is used more often...

Meditate
    There will be no next turn... I will win the game or not...

Equilibrium
    Any wizard then turns into Boomerang. This may be used as an engine for Storm (not used in this deck) or allow one variation of Wizardstorm combo.

Soothsaying
    Obvious combo with Counterbalance. This card is almost as powerful as SDT, but cant save itself so easy. Definitely being considered...

Flash
    Still banned in german highlander, but its potential in deck which works with wizards is obvious.

Mist dragon, Rainbow efreet
    Phasing is mechanic which I wanted to include as many times as possible. Also the deck really miss something to cause some combat damage.

What to include and what not?

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovakia

So ... new batch of cards arrived, and I need some opinions...

Noble Benefactor
    Since Gifts ungiven are banned this tutor has nice potential. But it will be best to cast and let him die within single turn, while Teferi is on guard. This deck does not have enough sacrifice engines, but I can change my control a bit...

Library of lat-nam
    Not bad at all, but I belive my co-players will let me draw 3 cards every time...

Pendrell mists
    To obtain this enchantment is pretty tricky here. The Tabernacle at Pendrell vale is also being considered, but currently its not available around here... This will solve the trouble with no sacrifice, while make creature control more effective - especially against tokens. The trouble is that "single big bad creature" strategy is used more often...

Meditate
    There will be no next turn... I will win the game or not...

Equilibrium
    Any wizard then turns into Boomerang. This may be used as an engine for Storm (not used in this deck) or allow one variation of Wizardstorm combo.

Soothsaying
    Obvious combo with Counterbalance. This card is almost as powerful as SDT, but cant save itself so easy. Definitely being considered...

Flash
    Still banned in german highlander, but its potential in deck which works with wizards is obvious.

Mist dragon, Rainbow efreet
    Phasing is mechanic which I wanted to include as many times as possible. Also the deck really miss something to cause some combat damage.

What to include and what not?
    that depends
    Library of lat-nam - mostly three cards benefit not bad at all.
    Meditate - imagine this with orbs, does one turn really matter in that state of game? especially when four cards, almost for sure mean you have won?
    Noble Benefactor+Pendrell mistsorFlash - death solved.

And since you know me you know the aswer from these candidates.
    To win is an option, to play is must.
    Deck can be competitive, but player have to use his common sense how to play it in different metas.
    I began as Timmy and ended up as Johnny

Sep 2009

- Braistorm + Soothsaying
    - Winter orb + Sunder (Armageddon and Cataclysm became available).

By the way... Timetwister is legal? :D

Sep 2009

Sunder can be used in various manners. One of them was to save all lands, but at the end of turn, most of them will be discarded (its common that longer games means about 20+ lands). So it leads to another changes.

- Frantic search +Crucible of Worlds
    - Minamo, School at Water's Edge + Esper Panorama
    - Wasteland/Petrified field + Bant Panorama

I dont plan to play Crucible in combination with Wasteland of Strip mine, instead I use it to save my lands from the grave. It already works with Tolaria West, while Panoramas are used as "poor mans fetchlands".

Another choices for this situation are Reliquary tower and/or Library of leng, but there are no free slots for now. Some report on play:

2 Snow covered lands, Thawing glaciers and Rimewind taskmage. I played 3rd Snow Island, and Glaciers allowed to put 4th in play. Taskmage's ability came alive, so I untapped the Glaciers and used them for the 2nd time 3 basic lands in one turn.

In next turns I also transmuted Tolaria west, and later i played it from the grave using Crucible, and similar of course for Panorama (its effect can be doubled even with Rings of Brighthearth)...

These few changes in last weeks increased numbers of shuffles, and manaramping as an side effect. Most time SDT helped me to collect crucial combo pieces.

Sep 2009

So, whole Khans of Tarkir are now spoiled.

Prowess in blue...
    Jeskai Elder
    Jeskai Windscout
    Pearl Lake Ancient
    Riwerwheel aerialists
    Whirlwind adept

Each off these cards can be boosted by storm combos. Not bad at all, however the CMC of these cards is sometimes too high. None of them is Wizard. Particulary useful are those with Flying.

Singing bell strike - can be used in Freed from the real combo style, but most of the deck is working with permanents up to 3 mana per tap.

Kheru Spellsnatcher
    One of the most interesting morph wizards. In EDH it allows to steal spells before they are actually cast. I am definitely thinking to add this wizard into deck.

Thread Information