Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [Budget Decks] -- My Attempts

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Re: [Budget Decks] -- My Attempts

An excellent idea for a thread. Well done. :)

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

The mono-black list has 5 Edicts in the 75. I am interested in seeing what you consider a non-budget list to be, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

I learned to count from the very best!

That's what I get for editing.

Non-budget adds Wasteland and the 4th BB. As I said, it is pretty close to what I believe is optimal. Thoughtseize can be worth using over either Duress or IoK in some metagames as well (even to the point of a 4/2 split rather than 3/3). A 4th Ratchet bomb may also be a good idea.

peace,
    4eak

Have you thought of adding a Mono Black Reanimator list? I have a list and I'm sure it's just as good as the U/B one you posted. It also has a better mana base and not having FoW in the blue version hurts a lot. Interested?

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

I've tried several mono black reanimator lists, but so far, I'm still convinced that U/B is still outright better at the budget level. Perhaps I've not tried the right mono black list though, so I would be interested to see your list. On another note, outside of budget builds, I am convinced the end build is a U/B shell (actually, U/B/g), and I think my initial concern for developing a player's overall card pool (building the end game shell) and gaining experience with a similar deck (U/B budget playstyle is much closer to the end version than Mono Black) leans towards a U/B Budget build instead of a Mono black as well. Mono black would need to be considerably better at a similar (or lower) price to switch, I think.

peace,
    4eak

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

What about MUD Stompy. I've seen versions that don't run Grim Monoliths, Metalworkers and Goblin Welders. City of Traitors can be Crystal Veins. I have also seen version that run with 12-post manabase though I cannot testify their viability. I myself am trying to put together that deck on a $300 budget (Kuldotha MUD version).
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eak View Post
    I've tried several mono black reanimator lists, but so far, I'm still convinced that U/B is still outright better at the budget level. Perhaps I've not tried the right mono black list though, so I would be interested to see your list. On another note, outside of budget builds, I am convinced the end build is a U/B shell (actually, U/B/g), and I think my initial concern for developing a player's overall card pool (building the end game shell) and gaining experience with a similar deck (U/B budget playstyle is much closer to the end version than Mono Black) leans towards a U/B Budget build instead of a Mono black as well. Mono black would need to be considerably better at a similar (or lower) price to switch, I think.

peace,
    4eak
    I can see where you coming from, but Dredge exists and, in my opinion, is just a better deck, I'm not overly concerned about the differences between running without blue cards. Both are suboptimal decks. But I really like putting giant monsters into play. :P Anyways here ya go.

Mana-22
    15 Swamp
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Lotus Petal

Discard-12
    4 Duress
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Unmask

Tutors-12
    4 Entomb
    2 Beseech the Queen
    2 Buried Alive
    4 Putried Imp

Reanimate-8
    4 Exhume
    4 Reanimate

Fatties-6
    2 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Terastodon
    1 Blazing Archon
    1 Inkwell Leviathan
    1 Platinum Emperion

Sideboard-15
    4 Null Rod
    4 Faerie Macabre
    Extra fatties: Iona, Masacre Wurm, etc.
    OPEN SLOTS

I also have a budget reanimator list without FoW, because I don't own underground seas I don's run Daze. Meaning my blue count is too low to support the FoW's, I've replaced them with Thoughtseize and Cabal Therapy. I also run 4x Dark ritual in mine, but I do think that Careful study and Brainstorm is still worth keeping so mine isn't MonoBlack. It's basically U/B with discard as opposed to counters, atleast the discard can target you as well...
    For all your magic singles and just an all round cool magic site click on this link

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

@ (nameless one)

What about MUD Stompy.
    I've been looking into it. I've not found one I'm confident in just yet. I do hope to find something that works. Let me know if you find something that works.

@ Amon Amarth

Thanks for the list. I appreciate it.

I can see where you coming from, but Dredge exists and, in my opinion, is just a better deck
    At above average or higher skill levels, I agree with you. I think average pilots might find Reanimator just as good, if not better in many circumstances, a deck. I think Reanimator decks can survive through heavy-GY hate (sometimes it is hard to tell if that is going to be the case when you show up to a tournament) where Dredge often can't. This skill factor often matters for those playing budget decks -- they are usually pretty unaccustomed. And, of course, every likes putting fatties into play, as you point out.

@ Blackmagic

because I don't own underground seas I don's run Daze
    I fully understand where you are coming from. Watery Grave is a substitute, even if it can be painful with Reanimate and racing aggro. That said, it is difficult to get Daze online without using fetchlands. I want to see your exact list.

peace,
    4eak

Dec 2003
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    I can see where you coming from, but Dredge exists and, in my opinion, is just a better deck, I'm not overly concerned about the differences between running without blue cards. Both are suboptimal decks. But I really like putting giant monsters into play. :P Anyways here ya go.

Mana-22
    15 Swamp
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Lotus Petal

Discard-12
    4 Duress
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Unmask

Tutors-12
    4 Entomb
    2 Beseech the Queen
    2 Buried Alive
    4 Putried Imp

Reanimate-8
    4 Exhume
    4 Reanimate

Fatties-6
    2 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Terastodon
    1 Blazing Archon
    1 Inkwell Leviathan
    1 Platinum Emperion

Sideboard-15
    4 Null Rod
    4 Faerie Macabre
    Extra fatties: Iona, Masacre Wurm, etc.
    OPEN SLOTS
    Nice job on the budget primmer! Maybe some links to the top eight placings of budget decks as well.

Dredge is probably just better then mono black Reanimator but if you were fixed on it I would go with increased redundancy

12 discard outlets: Entomb, Imp, Sickening Dreams
    12 Reanimate effects: Reanimate, Exhume, Animate Dead
    8 Monster
    8 Discard
    20:mana (4 Rituals)

Dedicated Hate becomes much more problematic. I don't know how you would deal with LEyline of the Void or an ensnaring bridge.

For expensive as the format can be there are mutliple budget options that are very competetive:
    Dredge, ELVES, Burn, and Affinity all kick ass in different metagames.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=37568

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=37569

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=37491

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=37278
    Calls for banning are almost always the scrubs way out. Real men view a challenge as something to overcome, a puzzle to solve, an opportunity to be had, and the source of evolution.

Are there budget versions of Rock? In my legacy build, I'm having a hard time with my legacy build.. WGb are my colors.. :P

Dec 2003
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by xifre View Post
    Are there budget versions of Rock? In my legacy build, I'm having a hard time with my legacy build.. WGb are my colors.. :P
    Three color decks require duals & fetches so probably not. G/w aggro or B/W agrro control are possible, but not quite "budget"

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=33312

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gw-aggro-4/
    Calls for banning are almost always the scrubs way out. Real men view a challenge as something to overcome, a puzzle to solve, an opportunity to be had, and the source of evolution.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

@ xifre

Unfortunately, I don't see how to build a competitive budget 3-color Rock deck. If you went for 2-colors, like the traditional , then we might be able to do it.

peace,
    4eak

Jun 2006
    Germany

Really awesome thread 4eak. I like the idea of collecting budget decks here and your lists are really quite good I guess.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I think you can build a budget Eva Green list. Tarmogoyfs can be subbed with Putrid Leech, Thoughtseize with either Duress or Inquisition of Kozilek, The manabase with Fetches + Shocklands. Its definitely Suicide right there!

Also theres that Pernicious Deed split sorcery from Dissension.

EDIT: its Punishment
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

@4eak, SMR0079, and nameless one.. thanks for the input! maybe i said it differently.. It's mostly W build but with gb splashes.. Im even using gemstone mines for my initial lands.. Im trying to get me some murmoring bosks.. At least it will alleviate my mana problems. And im using Aether Vials to cheat my multicolored crits..

this thread is interesting! It's a good thing i was able to randomly visit this thread.. thanks again..

Me? Aggro Player.
    Nov 2010
    Portugal

This thread is amazing. Congrats to the author.

I might check out some of those in MWS, specially belcher, MB agro-control, and dredge.

I already have elves and affinity decks, might change those decks a bit so they resemble ur lists more and can adapt do legacy format.

Me? Aggro Player.
    Nov 2010
    Portugal

Double post. Sorry!
    Last edited by Tiago_B.; 06-08-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I also want to add that I tried building a budget Aluren (I got the idea from Mogg)

It essentially ran Basics, Fetches and Dredge's Rainbow Lands

Used Spell Pierce instead of Force of Will (The blue count was low anyways)

Used Impulse instead of Intuition (this was before Preordain saw print, though Ponder should be a fine alternative).

It also used Cabal Therapy as a means to disrupt.

It had no Tarmogoyf, Imperial Recruiters. The most expensive card was Jitte (it was the just in case, since I didn't run the Secret Force tech (Natural Order))

The deck was only good if the meta didn't know what you were doing.

I had a decent run with it on MWS. I just can't remember my list since it was on my computer and that computer is fried right now.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Oct 2010
    Ventura, CA

I actually tried a budget Aluren too, the biggest loss is FoW, Imperial Recruiter, and Intuition. Some might not consider Intuition to be too expensive though, in which case definitely play it.

I went with the classic Wall of Roots to help with acceleration and fixing. Landing a turn 3 Aluren is sick. Also I ran Coiling Oracle for the same reason. The biggest change was adding more Lim-Dul's Vault for better digging, by losing Intuition it's hard to assemble the combo. Luckily LDV can find you all the pieces you need just a little slower.

Thread Information