Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Painter-Stone

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: [Deck] Painter-Stone

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Not sure which Painter thread is the right one, but anyone with any idea why Brian Durkin's Mono-U List is running Darkslick Shores, over, say Underground Seas? Is it to avoid Choke?
    Also could just be a budget choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Also could just be a budget choice.
    Yeah, that's what I am trying to gauge. It certainly seems a little strange strategically, as Choke doesn't seem like a widely played card at the moment.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Read his top 8 profile. He states he doesn't own duals or fetches.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by whienot View Post
    Read his top 8 profile. He states he doesn't own duals or fetches.
    Thanks, they don't make it easy to remind that on the website after the event.

I guess than the question would be, what is the "more optimal" mana base for the deck? 4 Seas? Or go with Fetches and Duals?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Thanks, they don't make it easy to remind that on the website after the event.

I guess than the question would be, what is the "more optimal" mana base for the deck? 4 Seas? Or go with Fetches and Duals?
    I think that shores are slightly better here since they give you give you choke protection + enable you to cast an EE for 3 with the help of an opal to get rid of a choke. I would imagine a more optimal build would involve fetches, duals and brainstorms but that is probably an entirely different deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

My question is why would you not build this deck with chalice and whir??? Antiquities war is actually a sweet and powerful alt. Win con but I would definitely play chalice in this deck. Just replace the preordain with whir.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    My question is why would you not build this deck with chalice and whir??? Antiquities war is actually a sweet and powerful alt. Win con but I would definitely play chalice in this deck. Just replace the preordain with whir.

Chalice hurts your main combo which is Grindstone
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Not with whir in your deck.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    Not with whir in your deck.

I want to believe but 3 blue can be a lot with so many sol lands and no petals..

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

It's also running opals and a chrome mox. I would cut one of the opals and add another island. Just remember, this change would be for the ability to run one of the most busted cards in magic. There are decks (eg. Most delver strategies, miracles and for sure death's shadow) that are totally neutered by chalice. Why wouldn't you run it in your 7 Sol land deck. Even on turn two chalice is nut. I've been playing this some online (even with the grindstone bug) and I just think chalice is huge. Whir is also good for that surprise combo of out of nowhere or surprised tormod's crypt against graveyard strategies.

In other news, had anyone else been playing with antiquities war up to this point? I need to start paying more attention to newer cards. This thing is bonkers.

I think even WITH moxen the UUU is tough.

It was tough in the Whir build with only 3 non islands.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Someone refresh me on the chalice list. Wasn't it playing 13-14 lands and some number of azcantas on top of that? That seems like it'd be enough to cast whirl atleast semi consistently. Imo the biggest issue with the chalice list is what Megadeus said, that's you are playing chalice in your combo deck where one of your pieces is 1 cmc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Let me be clear, if you have chalice on turn one you are playing it, just like you play a turn one blood moon in shortcake even though your tutors are white. You have other answers in the deck to either combo out later by getting a grindstone with whir or eating the chalice with Sai if you need to. Or you win with antiquities war which is probably 70% of your wins anyway given it's basically a one card combo. Chalice is such a strong effect that it takes over games on its own just like blood moon sometimes does. You guys play what you want. But I would be happy to play against any of you not playing chalice in your mono blue painter deck when I do have chalice in mine.

Apr 2017
    London

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Someone refresh me on the chalice list. Wasn't it playing 13-14 lands and some number of azcantas on top of that? That seems like it'd be enough to cast whirl atleast semi consistently. Imo the biggest issue with the chalice list is what Megadeus said, that's you are playing chalice in your combo deck where one of your pieces is 1 cmc.
    I've been going back and forth on Search for Azcanta in my chalice builds. I do like it, and it's certainly good against Grixis and Miracles, but it's also quite slow. I've been liking Flusterstorm (yes, even in a deck with Chalice) because the deck struggles against discard in general and Hymn to Tourach especially. It also protects your combo and does work against other combo decks. Overall I think either is defensible and it depends on your playstyle and what you expect to face.

As far as the anti-synergy between playing Chalice and Grindstone in the same deck, it's a question of whether having access to Chalice is better than whatever else you could be doing [in mono-blue], and I think there's a strong argument that it is. The reason for this is that you have 5 ways to put Grindstone into play through a Chalice, and Chalice is probably the strongest prison card in legacy at the moment. In many cases, if it doesn't prompt an outright concession, it buys you enough time to put together even a 'clunkier' combo via a Whir or Transmute.

You can also end up in situations where if your opponent destroys your Chalice to unlock other cards in their hand, you can play your Grindstone and either win on the spot or follow up with another Chalice.

If I had to register something tomorrow, it would probably be something along these lines:

I would like to try Sai and The Antiquities War in a similar build to this, having played them both in a non-painter build recently. If you do, you obviously want to up the cheap artifact count, which in turn lets you play Mox Opal and possibly Thoughtcast over Thirst for Knowledge. I haven't played this list, but I think it's a reasonable starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    You can also end up in situations where if your opponent destroys your Chalice to unlock other cards in their hand, you can play your Grindstone and either win on the spot or follow up with another Chalice.
    Where do I sign up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Fyi, bug is fixed!

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    I've been going back and forth on Search for Azcanta in my chalice builds. I do like it, and it's certainly good against Grixis and Miracles, but it's also quite slow. I've been liking Flusterstorm (yes, even in a deck with Chalice) because the deck struggles against discard in general and Hymn to Tourach especially. It also protects your combo and does work against other combo decks. Overall I think either is defensible and it depends on your playstyle and what you expect to face.

As far as the anti-synergy between playing Chalice and Grindstone in the same deck, it's a question of whether having access to Chalice is better than whatever else you could be doing [in mono-blue], and I think there's a strong argument that it is. The reason for this is that you have 5 ways to put Grindstone into play through a Chalice, and Chalice is probably the strongest prison card in legacy at the moment. In many cases, if it doesn't prompt an outright concession, it buys you enough time to put together even a 'clunkier' combo via a Whir or Transmute.

If I had to register something tomorrow, it would probably be something along these lines:

I would like to try Sai and The Antiquities War in a similar build to this, having played them both in a non-painter build recently. If you do, you obviously want to up the cheap artifact count, which in turn lets you play Mox Opal and possibly Thoughtcast over Thirst for Knowledge. I haven't played this list, but I think it's a reasonable starting point.

I actually like a couple elements of your Antiquties War list so gave it a try. First, the bad... I would get rid of the one of walking ballista and swap out the e.e for a ratchet bomb. I think those two cards are only good when you have trinket mage to go find them. they aren't very good when you are tutoring them into play with whir/transmute/tezz. You probably also still need a bridge main.
    The good... I actually really like the mix of whir/transmute/tezz over 4 x whir. In fact, I played a couple matches against Miracles and tezz is just pure nut. Would consider playing 2 main or 1 main and 1 SB. I also REALLY like thoughtcast in the deck and think it's totally fine to shave an antiquities war, grindstone, etc to make room for them.
    I'm actually trying Null Brooch in the SB for Miracles and other combo decks. Not sure it will be at all good but just fun spice.
    So far undefeated but only playing in the practice room so far. Not sure the deck is quite ready for prime time yet.

Not sure which Painter thread is the right one, but anyone with any idea why Brian Durkin's Mono-U List is running Darkslick Shores, over, say Underground Seas? Is it to avoid Choke?
    This is clearly a transcription error. The correct card is Darksteel Citadel.

Quote Originally Posted by zwdrew View Post
    This is clearly a transcription error. The correct card is Darksteel Citadel.
    Ah, I was really wondering, even Undergorund Sea did not make much sense (except perhaps for EE). Your explanation makes much more sense.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
    Ah, I was really wondering, even Undergorund Sea did not make much sense (except perhaps for EE). Your explanation makes much more sense.
    Umm, no it was actually dark slick shores and that was for e.e. and it wasn't underground sea for Budget reasons. Guy was interviewed about the deck.

Thread Information