Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1007

Thread: [Deck] Painter-Stone

Re: [Deck] Painter-Stone

Interesting writeup :-) I'd like to know how it fares against blue decks as well. You have some CA, but otherwise I wonder how you'd get your keys on the board without protection & inevitably going into top-deck mode.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Daize View Post
    Interesting writeup :-) I'd like to know how it fares against blue decks as well. You have some CA, but otherwise I wonder how you'd get your keys on the board without protection & inevitably going into top-deck mode.
    So far in some limited testing it's just a fairly heavy deck. A lot of need to answer cards for blue decks. Defense Grid obviously plays a part in creating openings when it resolves. It's probably the number 1 thing to have and I've debated playing 4. Might be worth a fourth in the board. Also Narset and Karn both are very good against control if not completely back breaking in certain situations. Antiquities War digs deep twice which is nice card advantage against control and can threaten to win the game on it's own as well. Urza brings a big dummy with him and threatens a serious Mana advantage as well as his activated ability. Painter and stone obviously threaten to simply win the game. And echo of eons can dig you out of tough situations and provide a jump start. It's also very reasonably hard castable in this deck and that can be a need to counter twice card at times. Just being able get on board so quickly means you can get under most non Force answers too and quickly establish a difficult to answer board. Honestly permanent based hate is the worst for me since it's often much more difficult to answer and static abilities make life tough. Opposing Narset I probably one of the scariest cards since I have no way to really pressure it outside of random painter beats
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    No free shuffle effects is pretty rough. Not much room for fetches because of the seats and the Sol lands.

My friend said maybe I should cut seat of the synod's and try to fit in Astrolabes.
    I really don't think it would be hard to fit in brainstorm + fetchlands in your list (high tide plays 6 I think?). You're playing a lot of mana and high cmc cards and I imagine there are going to be a lot of hands where you want the ability to exchange mana/high cmc for whatever you are looking for. You're giving up some explosiveness but the consistency you are getting out of it is well worth the exchange.

Astrolabe seems way more awkward since you actually need to have snow mana to cast it and you only have 6 sources with no way to find them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't think it would be hard to fit in brainstorm + fetchlands in your list (high tide plays 6 I think?). You're playing a lot of mana and high cmc cards and I imagine there are going to be a lot of hands where you want the ability to exchange mana/high cmc for whatever you are looking for. You're giving up some explosiveness but the consistency you are getting out of it is well worth the exchange.

Astrolabe seems way more awkward since you actually need to have snow mana to cast it and you only have 6 sources with no way to find them.
    Agreed on Astrolabe. It would require a complete retooling of the Mana base. Not sure it's worth it. As for Brainstorm it's possibly worth it. Just lowering the artifact count isn't super great to me though. And like Astrolabe would require the Mana base to change a bit.

Am I crazy for wanting to try hibernation? Like it's randomly good against green decks course, but when you have a painter out naming green it's a straight up instant speed 3 Mana Upheaval. And this deck plays a ton of fast Mana to recover quickly. You also can break LED's while holding priority and use them to recast your hand
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

So far in some limited testing it's just a fairly heavy deck. A lot of need to answer cards for blue decks. Defense Grid obviously plays a part in creating openings when it resolves. It's probably the number 1 thing to have and I've debated playing 4. Might be worth a fourth in the board. Also Narset and Karn both are very good against control if not completely back breaking in certain situations. Antiquities War digs deep twice which is nice card advantage against control and can threaten to win the game on it's own as well. Urza brings a big dummy with him and threatens a serious Mana advantage as well as his activated ability. Painter and stone obviously threaten to simply win the game. And echo of eons can dig you out of tough situations and provide a jump start. It's also very reasonably hard castable in this deck and that can be a need to counter twice card at times. Just being able get on board so quickly means you can get under most non Force answers too and quickly establish a difficult to answer board. Honestly permanent based hate is the worst for me since it's often much more difficult to answer and static abilities make life tough. Opposing Narset I probably one of the scariest cards since I have no way to really pressure it outside of random painter beats
    I love TAW, I may give this a shot :-). Thanks for sharing. It looks exciting albeit cute, but then again: Narset and EoE always does. how do you handle null rod / Hurkyl's Recall?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Daize View Post
    I love TAW, I may give this a shot :-). Thanks for sharing. It looks exciting albeit cute, but then again: Narset and EoE always does. how do you handle null rod / Hurkyl's Recall?
    Null Rod/Karn are a problem. Urza allows you to still make Mana through these effects which helps out a lot. Also Antiquities War let's you simply make a bunch of men and attack. As for Hurkylls it's not really something you can play around too well. Luckily most of your artifacts are cheap and can be played out quickly but the card could be an issue. Luckily it's not super heavily played. Same with Null Rod. Karn can be attacked which helps

I typed up a whole thing that got wrecked when i timed out. the tldr is that i played 4 leagues over the last 2 days and have a 13-7 record over that time frame with an astrolabe/thoughtcast list.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Wordslinger View Post
    I typed up a whole thing that got wrecked when i timed out. the tldr is that i played 4 leagues over the last 2 days and have a 13-7 record over that time frame with an astrolabe/thoughtcast list.
    Can relate to that, I recommend writing in some notes program/application that doesn't reload randomly.

okay uhhh PSA:
    One of the things you can do with Hibernation against permanent based hate is you can put the combo into play naming green with painter, then cast hibernation holding priority to float mana from led to use to recast the combo.
    I just did this against rest in peace, so..yeah.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

okay uhhh PSA:
    One of the things you can do with Hibernation against permanent based hate is you can put the combo into play naming green with painter, then cast hibernation holding priority to float mana from led to use to recast the combo.
    Yeah turning led into lotus with hibernation on the stack is pretty insane. I love

Jul 2015
    Tri-state Area

You know RIP doesnt stop the combo, right? But 3 Mana Upheaval sounds hilarious

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by tired_papasmurf View Post
    You know RIP doesnt stop the combo, right? But 3 Mana Upheaval sounds hilarious
    I think he's referencing LED + Echo of Eons?

No I used the "hibernate combo" to play through a piece of hate i didn't need to ><.

fwiw, current list.

4 ancient tomb
    4 city of traitors
    3 polluted delta
    6 island

3 lions eye diamond
    4 lotus petal
    4 arcums astrolabe
    3 mox opal
    1 chrome mox

3 defense grid
    3 grindstone
    3 painters servant

4 Echo of eons
    4 Narset, parter of veils
    3 Thoughtcast
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Thirst for knowledge

2 Karn the great creator
    2 The antiquities war
    2 Urza's lord high artificer

sideboard is in flux, but rn
    1 lions eye diamond
    1 painters servant
    1 lion's eye diamond
    2 tormods crypt
    1 sorcerers spyglass
    1 ensnaring bridge
    2 tezzeret the schemer
    3 hydroblast
    2 hibernation
    1 echoing truth

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

No I used the "hibernate combo" to play through a piece of hate i didn't need to ><.

fwiw, current list.

4 ancient tomb
    4 city of traitors
    3 polluted delta
    6 island

3 lions eye diamond
    4 lotus petal
    4 arcums astrolabe
    3 mox opal
    1 chrome mox

3 defense grid
    3 grindstone
    3 painters servant

4 Echo of eons
    4 Narset, parter of veils
    3 Thoughtcast
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Thirst for knowledge

2 Karn the great creator
    2 The antiquities war
    2 Urza's lord high artificer

sideboard is in flux, but rn
    1 lions eye diamond
    1 painters servant
    1 lion's eye diamond
    2 tormods crypt
    1 sorcerers spyglass
    1 ensnaring bridge
    2 tezzeret the schemer
    3 hydroblast
    2 hibernation
    1 echoing truth
    Fwiw it's understandable. When I played dead guy I boarded in RIP against painter because I thought it would stop the combo plus turn off their welders. Let me know how you like thought cast. I'll be on my thirsts at least this weekend because binning echo is important to me. I like Astrolabe a lot and I think I'll be testing it in the future too. Tomorrow however I think I'm gonna be on something close to my OG list. Maybe with a couple hibernation though

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

3-0 double draw into top 8 today and lost in T8. Match I lost to food chain I needed to draw an LED off of Narset to activate grindstone and didn't get there and he killed me next turn despite having to brainstorm into Narset. Rough beats. He had Force for my Grid, needle on Grindstone, and RIP game 2. My echo after I bounced RIP Drew 5 lands and a petal and I died.

So, Emry, Lurker of the Loch (https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Th...the+Loch#paper) can provide infinite mana as early as turn 2 with some number of Mox Opals, Mox Ambers, and a Paradox Engine.

Would this slot into Painter-Stone well?

Jul 2015
    Tri-state Area

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpollion View Post
    So, Emry, Lurker of the Loch (https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Th...the+Loch#paper) can provide infinite mana as early as turn 2 with some number of Mox Opals, Mox Ambers, and a Paradox Engine.

Would this slot into Painter-Stone well?
    Jeskai Ascendacy or bust

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by tired_papasmurf View Post
    Jeskai Ascendacy or bust
    Yeah Ascendancy is infinite as well and costs half the Mana. That or Mirran Spy. With opals, petals, and maybe even Astrolabes in this theoretical list, I think it's not a problem to cast it. It also simply makes your Emry and infinitely large attacker or digs to find a win condition as well

Feb 2016
    New England region USA

Dunno if this is the correct thread this deck, but it might get more eyes here. And at the end of the day it's still a Painter deck. Just went 3-1 with this at a local. Deck felt pretty absurd.

The Painter's War:

Maindeck (60)
    3 Painter's Servant
    1 Trinket Mage
    4 Narset, Parter of Veils
    4 Karn, the Great Creator
    4 Thirst for Knowledge
    4 Echo of Eons
    1 Chrome Mox
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    3 Grindstone
    3 Defense Grid
    4 The Antiquities War
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    6 Island
    4 Seat of the Synod

Sideboard (15)
    1 Painter's Servant
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Grindstone
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Mycosynth Lattice

I'm not completely sold on Chalices in the board. Maybe there's an argument for leylines with a couple helms somewhere too. I'm not sure yet.

I think I'm going to try out a couple Urzas. Maybe over trinket mage and an Antiquities War. It helps beat opposing Karns by still allowing your artifacts to make Mana and can make a big fatty to disincentivize attacks
    Hey Megadeus, have you made any updates/played this list more? I am looking to pick it up for fun and wanted your opinions on it. I already did the swap you mentioned a few posts later to add 2 Urza to the list.
    Belcher Aficionado. Lover of Burning Wish.
    Decks I Play/Pimped:
    Experimental Doomsday
    Bizarro Stormy
    TES
    ScapeWish
    UBr Tezzerator/Painter brews

So, as I've been posting about on the Discord, I've been messing around with an 8 Welder + Emry list. I'm only three leagues in, and the list is still super rough, but I've been really happy with it.

Rough Cut:

Deck: Emry Painter.dec

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:14
    4 Goblin Welder
    4 Goblin Engineer
    3 Painter's Servant
    3 Emry, Lurker of the Loch

Spells:27
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    3 Mox Opal