Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Painter-Stone

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Re: [Deck] Painter-Stone

Quote Originally Posted by sirgubster9 View Post
    So what kind of luck have you had with this setup, it looks like a lot of fun?
    Nothing notable, I haven't been able to go to weeklies and don't own the cards on MTGO so it's mostly been playing on cockatrice which doesn't have the best of pilots. It's certainly fun but I don't really know how good it is, it feels like you autolose to Delver if you go the turbo plan and if you are grinder it just feels like a worse version of sneak and show. I think that there is a good middle ground between the turbo and grindy plan but I haven't really found it (I haven't really been trying either).
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Jul 2009
    Cleveland

So I started testing this with an old list again, and so far it has been pretty great. I had been playing iPainter for awhile, but it suffers far more from the loss of SDT then this deck does. Hoping today to get some testing in against some sort of tempo. So far I have tested against lands, aluren, maverick (I have weird stuff at my local shop). The sideboard is obviously a work in progress, but here is the list:

Combo (13)
    -------------------
    4x Painter
    4x Grindstone
    1x LED
    4x Goblin Welder

Draw and Tutor (13)
    -------------------
    4x Transmute Artifact
    3x Intuition
    4x Brainstorm
    2x Ponder

Protection (7)
    ------------------
    4x Force of Will
    3x Pyroblast

Backup Plans (3)
    ------------------
    2x Wurmcoil Engine
    1x Ensnaring Bridge

Mana (24)
    ------------------
    3x Grim Monolith
    2x Mox Opal
    4x Scalding Tarn
    2x Polluted Delta
    2x Volcanic Island
    2x Island
    1x Mountain
    3x Seat of the Synod
    1x Great Furnace
    3x Ancient Tomb
    1x City of Traitors

Sideboard (15)
    ------------------
    3x Blood moon
    2x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Flusterstorm
    2x Izzet Staticaster
    2x Tormod's Crypt
    2x Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    1x Pyroblast
    1x Trinisphere
    @turingTested on twitter
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    これは水である。

Oh, I am *so* happy to see this thread get some activity. I'm doing stuff right now, and my deck is at home, but it's been a while since mine has been played but I have a feeling I'm going to shift back to the Wurmcoil + Monolith build since Top's ban (I dropped the backup plans for more Pyroblast/REBs and disruption. Still lost to Elves earlier this year, lol).

last time I played my list, I was against Goblins, Tin Fins, Elves, and Burn. Went 3-1. I'll post my list (or edit this post if I can) after I get back home tonight.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by merfolkotpt View Post
    So I started testing this with an old list again, and so far it has been pretty great. I had been playing iPainter for awhile, but it suffers far more from the loss of SDT then this deck does. Hoping today to get some testing in against some sort of tempo. So far I have tested against lands, aluren, maverick (I have weird stuff at my local shop). The sideboard is obviously a work in progress, but here is the list:
    Your list looks pretty neat, have the additional tutors and adding the ponders made up for the loss of top? I'm still missing a few pieces of the deck online but i'm going to try to get them, I guess the ultimate test will be playing painted stone against the plethora of Czech Pile and Grixis Delver online.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Jul 2009
    Cleveland

Yeah i mean so far so good. My real worry is what happens post board when opponents have surgical, as that is a bit harder of a card for us to beat, especially if we are on the intuition plan.

But yeah in terms of game 1 consistency, it feels about the same as it ever did. Slightly fewer hands with turn 1 metalcraft, but the numbers feels pretty good. I still think the deck is quite powerful. Welder still feels really strong, I would also argue that opponents don't understand how to play against welder with their Deathrites, people keep tapping their deathrites against me, and it just seems so incorrect.
    @turingTested on twitter
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    これは水である。

Has anyone been playing the Koikawa Shun mono U list?

I've been playing it a few weeks now and love it, but looking to fill in the 4 missing cards, or see some others Mono U tech at least.

reference

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/740805#paper

Blue Stone Moon -

Land (18) -

4x Ancient Tomb
    1x Great Furnace
    4x Island
    1x Polluted Delta
    4x Scalding Tarn
    1x Seat of the Synod
    3x Volcanic Island

Creature (10) -

4x Goblin Welder
    4x Painter's Servant
    2x Trinket Mage

Sorcery (2) -

2x Transmute Artifact

Artifact (11) -

1x Engineered Explosives
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Grindstone
    4x Lotus Petal
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Tormod's Crypt

Instant (16) -

4x Brainstorm
    4x Force of Will
    4x Intuition
    2x Pyroblast
    2x Red Elemental Blast

Enchantment (3) -

3x Blood Moon

Sideboard (15) -

2x Abrade
    1x Aether Spellbomb
    2x Echoing Truth
    2x Flusterstorm
    2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1x Meekstone
    1x Mountain
    1x Pyrite Spellbomb
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Walking Ballista

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    Has anyone been playing the Koikawa Shun mono U list?

I've been playing it a few weeks now and love it, but looking to fill in the 4 missing cards, or see some others Mono U tech at least.

reference

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/740805#paper

I haven't sleeved it up but plan on doing so in the next few weeks. Seems like Ensnaring Bridge might be worth a slot or two. Muddle the Mixture might also be an interesting option, it's a counter that can also tutor us goodies. I might also toy with Helm/Leyline of the Void as an alternative SB win con.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Empire View Post
    I haven't sleeved it up but plan on doing so in the next few weeks. Seems like Ensnaring Bridge might be worth a slot or two. Muddle the Mixture might also be an interesting option, it's a counter that can also tutor us goodies. I might also toy with Helm/Leyline of the Void as an alternative SB win con.
    I saw a list with 1 bridge and 3 lotus petals mained. Seems good to me.

I'll be trying different things, but so far love the list and Whir of Invention is actually fantastic. My favorite card in the list now.

Nov 2006
    London

The missing cards are 4 Gitaxian Probe by the way. I've tested it out a fair bit. Jace TMS + Bridge is definitely better than Thopter Spy Network (especially if you aren't playing artifact lands/Mox). Llawan is kinda janky too but I guess it can save you sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    The missing cards are 4 Gitaxian Probe by the way. I've tested it out a fair bit. Jace TMS + Bridge is definitely better than Thopter Spy Network (especially if you aren't playing artifact lands/Mox). Llawan is kinda janky too but I guess it can save you sometimes.
    Been playing with Probes for 2 weeks. it's been dead 100% of the time or actually a hindurance. It does nothing in this deck.

edit-in addition, no other painter deck plays probes that i've seen.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    Are you happy with the land base? Are you running only 4 fetches and 3 sol lands? (I guess we need to worry about our own back to basics)...

Oct 2017
    Oita, Japan

Been playing with Probes for 2 weeks. it's been dead 100% of the time or actually a hindurance. It does nothing in this deck.

edit-in addition, no other painter deck plays probes that i've seen.

I'm pretty sure the missing 4 cards are hydroblast. Why else would the sideboard be 3 blue elemental blast? Hydroblast is strictly better because of how it is worded (can target non-red spells or perms).

Also almost every painter deck in existence runs a 4 / 3 split of the two cards in the main board. The ONLY reason why this deck would have less than 7 mainboard is because it runs force of will, which is kind of a "nonbo." That's why they moved 3 to the board. You cant not have any blasts mainboard. That's my thinking at any rate. If the sideboard cards were hydroblast instead, I would be slightly more skeptical.

Anyone agree? Disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by joaquin View Post
    I'm pretty sure the missing 4 cards are hydroblast. Why else would the sideboard be 3 blue elemental blast? Hydroblast is strictly better because of how it is worded (can target non-red spells or perms).

Also almost every painter deck in existence runs a 4 / 3 split of the two cards in the main board. The ONLY reason why this deck would have less than 7 mainboard is because it runs force of will, which is kind of a "nonbo." That's why they moved 3 to the board. You cant not have any blasts mainboard. That's my thinking at any rate. If the sideboard cards were hydroblast instead, I would be slightly more skeptical.

Anyone agree? Disagree?
    That's a legit response, and I've heard that from someone else as well.

Daze as been pretty good. I can test Hydroblast next.

Are you happy with the land base? Are you running only 4 fetches and 3 sol lands? (I guess we need to worry about our own back to basics)...
    I actually get flooded. A LOT.

May drop one tomb and one island.

It's frustrating when the scenario happens of "Ponder. See 3 islands. Shuffle. Draw island. Brainstorm. 2 islands in the 3...UGH"

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

That's a legit response, and I've heard that from someone else as well.

Daze as been pretty good. I can test Hydroblast next.

How has the testing gone? I jammed a few games at my weekly. Loved the fact I could grindstone myself to search for a painter with an academy ruins in play Are you still running the stock list? I'm thinking about trying out a few TNN's and a Jitte.

Sep 2017
    Germany

Played the following list on a small tournament last weekend. Ended up with 3:1, beating Czech Pile (2:0), SneakShow (2:0) and Burn (2:0). Lost 1:2 against Burn...

Creatures
    4 Painter's Servant
    1 Spellskite

Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    1 Hydroblast
    4 Ponder
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Transmute Artifact
    4 Whir of Invention
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Artifacts
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Grindstone
    2 Lotus Petal
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Tormod's Crypt

Lands
    1 Academy Ruins
    3 Ancient Tomb
    4 Flooded Strand
    12 Island

Sideboard
    2 Back to Basics
    2 Dispel
    1 Dragon's Claw
    1 Hope of Ghirapur
    2 Hydroblast
    1 Llawan, Cephalid Empress
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Thopter Spy Network
    1 Tormod's Crypt

The deck felt pretty good and was a lot of fun to play
    Mainboard Jtms did a great job, especially in the grindy matchups. I’d like to fit a second one in the 75. Maybe replacing one Whir or the Transmute?
    I believe blasts should be in the sideboard, although i had targets for it in every game

Are there any more good targets for Whir of Invention? I wish the activation cost of Universal Solvent would be cheaper... had a hard time finding blasts against Leyline...

PS: Sorry for my (bad) English

Quote Originally Posted by Ganuel View Post
    Played the following list on a small tournament last weekend. Ended up with 3:1, beating Czech Pile (2:0), SneakShow (2:0) and Burn (2:0). Lost 1:2 against Burn...

Creatures
    4 Painter's Servant
    1 Spellskite

Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    1 Hydroblast
    4 Ponder
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Transmute Artifact
    4 Whir of Invention
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Artifacts
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Grindstone
    2 Lotus Petal
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Tormod's Crypt

Lands
    1 Academy Ruins
    3 Ancient Tomb
    4 Flooded Strand
    12 Island

Sideboard
    2 Back to Basics
    2 Dispel
    1 Dragon's Claw
    1 Hope of Ghirapur
    2 Hydroblast
    1 Llawan, Cephalid Empress
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Thopter Spy Network
    1 Tormod's Crypt

The deck felt pretty good and was a lot of fun to play
    Mainboard Jtms did a great job, especially in the grindy matchups. I’d like to fit a second one in the 75. Maybe replacing one Whir or the Transmute?
    I believe blasts should be in the sideboard, although i had targets for it in every game

Are there any more good targets for Whir of Invention? I wish the activation cost of Universal Solvent would be cheaper... had a hard time finding blasts against Leyline...

PS: Sorry for my (bad) English
    I've been wanting to mash in an Aether Spellbomb.

How has the testing gone? I jammed a few games at my weekly. Loved the fact I could grindstone myself to search for a painter with an academy ruins in play Are you still running the stock list? I'm thinking about trying out a few TNN's and a Jitte.
    I've been playing Dredge and now Red storm to gear up for EW.

Daze has been good, but would probably not run it mained. I've picked up more blasts an ensnaring bridge and spellbomb to try out now.

Think the deck just needs more whir targets personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganuel View Post

Aether spellbomb? The new grave hate scry artifact? Spyglass?

Thinking of trying old Tezz in the deck.

Thread Information