Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 414748495051
Results 1,001 to 1,007 of 1007

Thread: [Deck] Painter-Stone

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Re: [Deck] Painter-Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa View Post
    list
    I like this idea a lot! With that particular mana base having fewer snow lands, I'd be worried about sometimes not being able to cast Astrolabe. Has that been an issue so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    I like this idea a lot! With that particular mana base having fewer snow lands, I'd be worried about sometimes not being able to cast Astrolabe. Has that been an issue so far?
    5 Snows + 4 Fetches. Hasn't been a problem yet, but I'm not super deep in my testing. That being said, I am sure the mana base can be improved.

So.. I guess I'm moving from the Shortcake thread to this thread... I don't play Enlightning Tutor anymore, I don't play Imperial Recruiters anymore.

4 Goblin Welder
    4 Goblin Engineer
    2 Seasoned Pyromancer

3 Painter's Servant
    3 Grindstone

3 Karn, the Great Creator
    4 Blood Moon
    1 Sundering Titan
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

4 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast

4 Arcum's Astrolabe
    2 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Mox Opal
    3 Lotus Petal

6 Snow-Covered Mountain
    1 Snow-Covered Plains
    1 Prismatic Vista
    4 Arid Mesa
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb

Sideboard
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Grindstone
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Painter's Servant
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Lightning Bolt (will be Abrade)
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Wurmcoil Engine

Played in a local, 2-1-1.

2-0 UR Delver
    On the draw
    Game 1
    I start with 2 Goblin Engineer, Grindstone, Karn, City of Traitors, Mountain, and draw into Opal. and draw into Grindstone. I get 2 Painters with Engineer. I cast Karn (get LED, next turn: Painter), and combo out in his upkeep with LED and swap backup. Painterpainterpainterpainter redundancy.

Boarding:
    -1 Sundering Titan
    -4 Blood Moon
    -1 Lotus Petal

+2 Surgical Extraction
    +2 Lightning Bolt
    +1 Trinisphere
    +1 Wurmcoil Engine

Game 2
    I start with Pyroblast, Painter, Grindstone and mountain + Sol land in play, and draw into Lotus Petal. I blast a FoW and combo in upkeep. Feel like I got lucky there.

1-1-1 Homebrew UWG Noble Hierarch Stoneforge Mystic
    On the draw
    Game 1
    Not much to say, I mulligan to 5, draw lots of lands, and he beats me blue with Batteskull.

Boarding:
    Can't remember

Game 2
    He didn't draw a lot of gas - Stoneforge Mystic, but I drew Karn before he could put the Jitte in play. I had a grindstone, with Karn I get a painter and an LED next turn. I draw in to an extra LED, and have lands mana enough to activate Grindstone with LED-> 2nd Grindstone activation backup. I proceed grindstoning my opponent's every upkeep (2x veil of summer), at some point he's down to 1 card in hand and I combo out.

Game 3
    He had the nuts this game. HeI start with Ensnaring Bridge, Painter and Engineer in hand. His T1 is noble hierarch. I draw and play Welder, LED, Opal. He responds with Stoneforge Mystic, Jitte. I play Engineer for grindstone (welder gets STP), next turn I play painter with Pyroblast backup. I then play Bridge. He responds with FoW, I Pyro, he hydroblasts. In his turn he attacks with Noble Hierarch + Jitte under Bridge, ticks down on my Engineer. I sac LED for mana to get painter in play, sacrificing my opal. He responds with Surgical Extraction on Painter, and beats me down with Jitte until we draw, since I draw blockers every turn.

0-2 Sneak and Show (with Intuition)
    On the play
    Game 1
    He has T1 SnT, I put down engineer for Bridge, he puts down Griselbrand. In my turn, he counters my opal, and then lets LED resolve, which gets me Bridge in play. Next turn he plays another SnT for Omniscience, has intuition for Cunning Wish for Rushing River on my Ensnaring Bridge.

Boarding:
    - 2 Grindstone
    - 4 Blood Moon
    - 2 Seasoned Pyromancer

+2 Lightning Bolt (bad idea)
    +2 Surgical Extraction
    +1 Ensnaring Bridge
    +1 Pithing Needle

Game 2
    He has T1 SnT, Griselbrand into another SnT, into another Omniscience. yeah.

Another interesting thing was that T1 welder into T2 Engineer for Sundering Titan did a good job. Also played some games against storm. Storm was slow this game, but Welder in play and Blood Moon into Engineer -> Sundering titan, kill your mountain, swamp, island is also fun.

2-1 Loam
    On the play
    Pessimistic take: Sometimes I'm a terrible noob.
    Optimistic take: I learned something new today!
    He kept Mox Diamond and fetch open for Abrupt Decay, I learned later. I had T1 Welder, T2 Engineer (Sundering Titan) but no artifact. I attacked... and he fetched to Dryad Arbor. He followed up with a Scavenging Ooze which he grew big. I had a Seasoned Pyromancer which got me rid of a pyroblast and another random card, I could block a bit but didn't draw into more than a Blood Moon that got the Abrupt Decay, another Engineer that got Punishing Fire, and a painter that got it 2 times. I was able to block a bit, but he got bigger business like KotR... 2 of them.

Boarding (being a bit slower is worth it to have more answers and a broader game plan):
    -1 REB
    -2 Pyroblast
    -1 Arcum's Astrolabe
    -1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    -1 Lotus Petal
    -1 Sundering Titan

+2 Lightning Bolt
    +1 Wurmcoil Engine
    +2 Surgical Extraction
    +1 Ensnaring Bridge
    +1 Pithing Needle

Game 2
    I keep a hand with 2 sol lands and Karn. I have a T1 painter, he has a T2 CoTV, I have a T2 Karn into T3 Lattice, with Painter as a blocker for the Bob he threw down. Scoop.

Game 3
    I start out with a T3 Karn with CoT, pyroblast (ugh), and a seasoned pyromancer. He mulligans down to 5, but has a T2 CoTV into T3 Green Sun's Zenith -> Gaddock Teeg. I continue with my plan then for Seasoned Pyromancer, throw away Lightning Bolt and Pyroblast. He follows up with Thalia and a Karakas. I draw into another Seasoned Pyromancer, and ditch Karn and (?). I am able to hold off his damage a bit, taking only 2 a turn. I drew into Wurmcoil Engine, and am able to play him. I follow up with Blood Moon to avoid the unending block-bounce, and proceed to beat. He doesn't find an answer in e.g. Trophy (nor would he have the mana for it now) and I kill with beats.

I feel like 8 Goblins is overwhelming, I'll probably go down to 7 again. 3 Karn doesn't feel right - I'd rather have a Karn and not being able to play him yet (but soon), than hoping to find a Karn. the Seasoned Pyromancers - I love them. I wouldn't trade them in for Recruiters. Blood Moon keeps performing, and is great in combination with the Pyromancers somehow as food. Astrolabe I feel I don't need to discuss anymore personally, but it's really performing so well. Having an artifact that 1. replaces itself and 2. is food for the goblins & opals is amazing. The mana fixing is relevant so often, e.g. to be able to play an engineer T2 with counter backup, things like that actually come up pretty often.

I'm not sure if Wurmcoil & Sundering Titan 1 main 1 SB is the right choice, but it's actually worked pretty well for me here. Worth testing more.

Played 2 4-round trials at MKM / CardMarket series Prague today. Had fun. Same deck list as above. If you have any remarks, questions or just enjoyed reading the report, please let me know :-) after all, I'm doing it for the community.

Trial 1

Match 1 - Mono R stompy

Game 1 - on the Play
    Opponent Mulligans to 4, sadly. I keep a hand with sol land, mountain, painter. I T1 painter, see mountain for my opponent and go for the T2 Karn (grindstone, play it) and T3 win with LED.

SB:
    -4 blood moon
    +1 wurmcoil engine (big beater with potential to multiply sounds good in this matchup)
    +2 abrade (against potential hate e.g. CotV or a rabblemaster that I can't outrun)
    +1 ethersworn canonist (better than the blood moon, but I can't see better SB cards)

Game 2
    I punt by trying to preserve my lotus petals for engineer (T2) instead of playing Karn T1 with sol land. He punishes me with his own Karn, not allowing me to go fast with astrolabe and engineer. 2 rabblemaster come down and it's a quick game.

Game 3
    Opponent mulligans once. I get a quick Karn this time and am able to get rid of his chalice and wish for everything slowly without a response.

2-1

Matches: 1-0

Match 2 - infect
    Game 1
    On the play
    I counter his agent, but he counters my counter. I draw another pyroblast and get rid of the agent, but he has another one. Blood moon comes down, but invigorate and berserk doesn't care. My idea was to get rid of the agent while he's tapped down, rather than trying to be smart as he attacks. I still would have done the same, but he's just faster.

SB:
    ?? Didn't write it down. I probably sided in 2 ethersworn canonist and another ensnaring bridge for seasoned pyromancer and a Sundering Titan or so.

Game 2
    With sol land, led, petal and opal I get a T1 Karn down (wish for painter), into T2 kill - play painter, opal active again, play grindstone and crack LED for the combo kill.

Game 3
    I get a T2 Karn with 1 natural LED, get an ensnaring bridge but he has Force of vigor. His next turn I get the inkmoth nexus and the invigorate & berserk to the face again.
    1-2

Matches: 1-1

Match 3 - Urza thopter retrofitted sword of the meek Oko elk.
    Game 1
    On the play
    I start with sol land -> 2 grindstones. He plays a retrofitter foundry off a polluted delta into island. My T2 engineer for painter resolves and i have the T3 kill.

SB
    -4 blood moon
    -2 LED
    +2 abrade
    +2 surgical extraction
    +2 ethersworn canonist

Game 2
    I keep a hand with a t2 Karn, but his T2 play is… Lavinia. Oh boy. He also has a karakas, and now I see how wild his mana base is when he fetches a tropical island. I'm forced to play more slowly, and I pyroblast the Lavinia (karakas bounces back) to be able to drop Karn for painter.. He replays and adds an Oko, followed up by an Urza and I'm out of gas.

SB change of plans, he's on 3 colours. Blood moon goes back in, and we're on the play. So even better!
    -2 LED
    -1 ensnaring bridge
    -1 seasoned pyromancer (probably should have stayed in, instead taking lotus petal out)
    -1 mox opal
    +2 abrade
    +1 pithing needle
    +2 surgical extraction

Game 3
    I keep a hand with grindstone and a T3 blood moon. He has 1 dual and an island out when I play the moon but he topdecks a forest and drops Oko. Food tokens galore, I don't find an answer to Oko, and it's done. This one card is really bad for us.

Matches: 1-2

Match 4 - maverick
    Game 1
    On the play
    I keep a hand with astrolabe, opal, led, welder, Karn, sol land and a mountain. I play mountain, astrolabe, opal, led, two opal for welder, go (I love these starts). His T1 play is Savannah into STP on welder. My T2 I draw another LED, play sol land, Karn, into T2 lattice (look at this anecdote, Peko! :-D).

SB
    -1 REB
    -1 pyroblast
    -1 opal
    -1 led (expecting a slower game on the draw and with more hate)
    +2 abrade
    +2 surgical extraction

Game 2
    He mulligans twice. He starts out with noble hierarch, I am able to get a welder down. He plays sorcerous spyglass on grindstone. I start welding 2 astrolabes. I get a T3 blood moon & another welder, he puts down a KotR, which gets stonewalled by my T4 bridge. I also play another welder, and welding astrolabes has reached stupid proportions drawing me 3 cards extra a turn. I get an abrade, as well as my combo and his library flops over.

Matches: 2-2

Trial 2

Match 1 - hogaak dredge
    On the draw
    We both Mulligan once. He starts off with a stitcher's supplier. I kept a hand with welder, painter, grindstone, lotus petal, astrolabe. Seeing he's on dredge, I try to speed up a bit: I play astrolabe, petal, sac petal for welder. I want to draw more resources since I only had 2 mountains, and I want to be able to use my welder to get more mana out of petal, if necessary. T2 he plays a gravecrawler, and on my T2 I play painter and pass. He plays cabal therapy (pyroblast, miss) and flashbacks to this hand: grindstone, seasoned pyromancer, [unimportant card]. He takes my pyromancer, which was his best choice since with getting a petal back, that would have let me dig deeper to more resources. Luckily, I draw a mountain in my turn and have my 4 mana to combo out.

SB
    -4 blood moon
    -1 Sundering Titan
    +1 wurmcoil engine
    +1 trinisphere
    +1 ensnaring bridge
    +2 surgical extraction

Game 2
    He is faster this match with a T3 hogaak and gravecrawlers, but I have a clean T4 kill with an engineer (bin painter) and grindstone in my starting hand.

Matches: 1-0

Match 2 - Bomberman
    On the draw
    He starts off with 2 baubles into a T2 and T3 mentor. I get a welder T1, astrolabe T2 and ensnaring bridge. I control his mentors by shooting blank's with my pyroblast and start drawing cards with astrolabe. I draw into T4 blood moon and goblin engineer T5 gets me Sundering Titan to shoot his mountains down and it's a game.

SB
    -1 astrolabe
    -1 pyroblast
    -1 Sundering Titan
    -2 seasoned pyromancer (thought they'd be too slow)
    +2 surgical extraction
    +1 trinisphere
    +1 pithing needle
    +1 crypt
    +2 surgical extraction (very sub par against Bomberman but could do worse)

Game 2
    He puts down a land and passes. I play a T1 Karn with ancient tomb & 2 petals. I fetch LED and play it. He plays a chalice on 1, and I have my T2 lattice and he scoops.

Matches: 2-0

Match 3 - eldrazi
    On the play
    I keep a hand with a sol land, 2 pyroblasts, painter. play a T1 painter off ancient tomb. We play land go for 2ish turns, and he plays thought knot seer (pyroblasted), matter reshaped (resolves). I find grindstone around T4 and it turns out he doesn't play emrakul.

SB
    -1 red elemental blast
    -2 pyromancer (probably should have stayed in, taking
    -2 Sundering Titan
    +2 surgical extraction (i didn't know if emrakul is in the SB. Probably should have stayed out)
    +2 abrade (expecting all the artifacts as hate pieces)

Game 2
    He starts off with an eldrazi mimic. I again have a T1 painter, rendering the mimic quite useless. He plays chalice on 1 the next turn, after which in my T2 I answer with a blood moon. The rule refresher is on urborg + Blood moon: same layer, so it goes on dependency (only if there's no dependency it checks timestamp). Urborg is dependent on blood moon, so all his lands are mountains. He plays thorn of the amethyst, after which I abrade chalice to get my welder down. He bugs me more with a sorcerous spyglass on grindstone (not in my hand). Turn after, I draw goblin engineer. I play engineer for grindstone, and weld his sorcerous spyglass out for chalice on his turn, leaving the way free for the combo after my untap.

Matches: 3-0

Match 4
    UR delver
    On the draw
    He plays a misty rainforest, go. I kept a hand with Karn, CoT, painter, engineer, fetch, fetch, astrolabe. I play my fetch, pass. He untaps, puts down another fetch, cracks one and ponders. He's so incredibly signalling stifle, but on my turn I feel I cannot delay myself and that he's not going to allow a window for me. My turn, I draw another CoT, I put down my second fetch, I crack one aaaaand yes, stifle. I still play astrolabe, pass. He plays delver. Next turn, I draw another Karn, I play one Karn to bait without mana open (this was wrong), and he plays daze. Delver flips with FoN, he starts the beating and plays arcanists. He has 3 cards in hand. I cast painter as I'd rather have engineer resolve, even if that means painter may get exiled with FoN. Instead painter gets hit with FoW. I then play engineer with him on 1 card in hand and 1 mana open. Resolves, bin grindstone.
    He, flashes back brainstorm, casts ponder and passes. I then drew into another painter! I play karn to bait the FoN and he counters with FoN. I play the painter and pass. Little did I know that he had lighting bolt waiting on the top of his deck, hitting the painter as well as the engineer and in response I get grindstone in play.
    I draw into yet another and my last painter, and am able to combo out. Such luck happens sometimes..

SB
    -2 seasoned pyromancer
    -4 blood moon
    -1 LED
    +1 trinisphere
    +2 ethersworn canonist
    +2 abrade
    +1 wurmcoil engine
    +1 tormods crypt

Game 2
    I keep a land with mountain, petal, crypt, opal, engineer, welder. He plays a land, go. I draw a CoT I play mountain, petal, crypt, opal, welder, in that order ensuring it's all daze proof. It resolves. Next turns he plays a land and passes. I draw another engineer! I play CoT, tap it & mountain to play engineer. FoW. I tap the opal and together with the 1 floating mana, cast the second engineer which resolves. I get wurmcoil engine and get it in play. Keeping my mana and my goblins open for protection, he doesn't find a way out.

Matches: 4-0
    Last edited by Daize; 11-25-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

I've been tinkering with an Rg version. Initial list that seems quite strong and resilient in my testing:

3 Grindstone
    4 Arcum's Astrolabe

3 Painter's Servant
    4 Goblin Welder
    3 Goblin Engineer
    2 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    1 Inkwell Leviathan

2 Sylvan Library

2 Punishing Fire
    4 Veil of Summer
    4 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast

4 Karn, the Great Creator

2 Faithless Looting

2 Great Furnace
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Taiga
    3 Snow-Covered Mountain
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    4 Prismatic Vista
    2 Crystal Vein

Sideboard (rather unsure about it):

1 Grindstone
    1 Wishclaw Talisman
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Painter's Servant
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Punishing Fire
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Great Furnace

Any thoughts on the color combination and potential card choices that I could have missed? :)

I opted for Crystal Vein over Ancient Tomb since the former can support Sylvan Library better, while providing similar explosiveness, if need be.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

No time to play yet, but this popped up on MTGO, and is somewhat similar:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...1-18#shadaro_-

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Went 1-3 yesterday. Matchups: 0-2 (Ug Merfolk), OmniTell (0-2), Mono U Delver Tempo (2-1), BG Rock (1-2).

Against Merfolk, my opponent simply overwhelmed we with too many lords and mutavaults, and that was a turn faster than me. A post-board Oko complicated matters further, and I lost that round even though I could eventually weld an Inkwell Leviathan into play that game.

Against Omni-Tell, I just got slaughtered by Show and Tell protected by Veil of Summer into Omniscience two times. It wasn't pretty, and not being able to combo fast due to Emrakul in the opponent's deck makes this REALLY difficult to win when you cannot interact with Veil. That deck is just stupid.

The Mono U Delver kid was fun to play, no matter his lack of experience. I even helped him with some of his lines (properly operating Stifle and Daze made him win game 2), and managed to mill him down to 0 cards game 3 during the 4th extra-turn :)

BG Rock with TONS of removal saw a very short game 1 (concession after a Turn 2 Inkwell Leviathan with Goblin Welder and Goblin Engineer on board), but the two other games just wouldn't want to come together for me. I think would have won game 2, but due to some unexplainable fuckup of mine, my Karn-boarded copies of Painter's Servant and Grindstone ended up main instead of side for that game, and I couldn't Karn-wish for either when I had planned to do so. I chalk this up to my lack of experience with a wishboard, and always having played 4 copies of both cards main in the past, no matter the particular Painter-Stone-flavor ;) Game 3 looked great initially with me holding three Veil of Summer of my own and a Sylvan Library online, but the pieces you'd want to protect with that just wouldn't show their ugly heads in time. Opp's Leyline of the Void effectively shut down Goblin Engineer as tutors, and by the time Karn, the Great Creator landed, Tarmogoyf and a Treetop Village were already too close to killing me for it to matter.

I'll try again next time, but I'll include (more) Sol Lands this time around.

Thread Information