Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Painter-Stone

Jul 2009
    Cleveland

Re: [Deck] Painter-Stone

Quote Originally Posted by vnayin View Post
    Top 8ed CardKingdom's 1K this past weekend and 3-0-1ed the Monday night weekly as well(rd4 opponent needed to leave so split with him) with a more cantrip heavy, artifact light build of UR painter. The idea of the deck was to use more of a sneak and show kind of shell, but get to try and maximize the value of Karn and play a tighter combo to allow for more countermagic main.

Decklist:
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=21997&d=348450&f=LE

main change I made after the 1K is going to 3 volcs by cutting an island as I ran into some problems finding red at the 1K. Might want room for the 3rd city somewhere too.

At the 1K played against BUG delver with stifles and sinkholes(2-0 win), Slow Depths(Loss 1-2) though I probably punted game 2, BW walker Dead Guy(2-1), Planeswalker Post(2-0), Elves(2-1), then lost 2 close games to Miracles in the top 8(one game I drew all 4 islands natually and lost a counterfight with pyro in hand and no red mana).

At the weekly, played vs BUG land control on camera if you want to watch the match, Goblins, UW stoneblade and drew with RUG but we played 1 game and I lost.

Overall, the deck felt great. Probably a turn slower on average than something like SnT, but with more grind power and general more protection for the combo. Sometimes Karn has felt a little clunky, which is why I kinda want another sol land if I can find room.
    I have been looking at a list pretty similar to yours of late, any consideration to grim monolith in the list for easier to hit karn? Also, I notice you aren't running any welder, just don't like it or?

I really like the list.
    @turingTested on twitter
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    これは水である。

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Dunno if this is the correct thread this deck, but it might get more eyes here. And at the end of the day it's still a Painter deck. Just went 3-1 with this at a local. Deck felt pretty absurd.

The Painter's War:

Maindeck (60)
    3 Painter's Servant
    1 Trinket Mage
    4 Narset, Parter of Veils
    4 Karn, the Great Creator
    4 Thirst for Knowledge
    4 Echo of Eons
    1 Chrome Mox
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    3 Grindstone
    3 Defense Grid
    4 The Antiquities War
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    6 Island
    4 Seat of the Synod

Sideboard (15)
    1 Painter's Servant
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Grindstone
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Mycosynth Lattice

I'm not completely sold on Chalices in the board. Maybe there's an argument for leylines with a couple helms somewhere too. I'm not sure yet.

I think I'm going to try out a couple Urzas. Maybe over trinket mage and an Antiquities War. It helps beat opposing Karns by still allowing your artifacts to make Mana and can make a big fatty to disincentivize attacks
    Last edited by Megadeus; 07-11-2019 at 08:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Current using this monoR goblins version, testing it IRL.
    I don't miss imperial recruiter at all.

engineer its just too good to tutor.

thoughts???

5 mountain
    3 Great Furnace
    4 ancient tomb
    3 Darksteel Citadel
    2 city of traitors
    2 Cavern of Souls

4 Goblin Welder
    4 Goblin Engineer
    3 Painter Servant
    1 Wurmcoil Engine

4 Lotus Petal
    3 Grindstone
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

4 pyroblast
    4 red elemental blast
    4 faithless looting

3 blood moon
    3 blood sun
    3 Karn, the Great Creator

sideboard

4 Leyline of the void
    2 abrade
    3 sulfur elemental
    1 ensnaring bridge
    1 mycossint lattice
    1 painter servant
    1 grindstone
    1 spellskite
    1 helm of obedience
    1 Racthet bomb
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    Eldrazi aggro player
    Working in MonoR welder/engineer painter deck
    In love with CoTV and Legacy for so many years

Your list looks good. But since it's mono-R, you better post it in the Imperial Painter thread. It can get a bit confusing, but for clarity: Shortcake = WR Painter, Imperial= mono R, Painter stone = UR Painter :)

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Dunno if this is the correct thread this deck, but it might get more eyes here. And at the end of the day it's still a Painter deck. Just went 3-1 with this at a local. Deck felt pretty absurd.

The Painter's War:

Maindeck (60)
    3 Painter's Servant
    1 Trinket Mage
    4 Narset, Parter of Veils
    4 Karn, the Great Creator
    4 Thirst for Knowledge
    4 Echo of Eons
    1 Chrome Mox
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    3 Grindstone
    3 Defense Grid
    4 The Antiquities War
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    6 Island
    4 Seat of the Synod

Sideboard (15)
    1 Painter's Servant
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Grindstone
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Mycosynth Lattice

I'm not completely sold on Chalices in the board. Maybe there's an argument for leylines with a couple helms somewhere too. I'm not sure yet.

I think I'm going to try out a couple Urzas. Maybe over trinket mage and an Antiquities War. It helps beat opposing Karns by still allowing your artifacts to make Mana and can make a big fatty to disincentivize attacks
    You are a madman! I love it. Are you on the Discord for Painter? This needs to be shared there. I'll do it if you can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    You are a madman! I love it. Are you on the Discord for Painter? This needs to be shared there. I'll do it if you can't.
    I'm not on there but you're welcome to share. I'd love feedback. Deck feels like there's something there but more ideas can only help
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

First legit opportunity to play compost ! You have to squeeze it in the 75 ! The maindeck looks solid. I'd probably look for some space to add green sun zenith and compost. Maybe faithless can go. The board needs some adjustments I think. Not super sold on force of vigor nor helm combo.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Nouille View Post
    First legit opportunity to play compost ! You have to squeeze it in the 75 ! The maindeck looks solid. I'd probably look for some space to add green sun zenith and compost. Maybe faithless can go. The board needs some adjustments I think. Not super sold on force of vigor nor helm combo.
    If we remove the forces of vigor we can add +1 compost +1 ancient grudge.

Then, there's 4 slots with helmline which I think is redundant indeed. 2 of those slots should go to graveyard hate (could be surgical extraction), and 2 could be flex, perhaps another Compost or a Reap, and something else like a Blast?

Could also be a Chainwhirler, Abrade, Sulfur Elemental, Goblin Engineer, Spellskite, or even a Pulse of Murasa to grab back a Painter and gain life against Burn, or the new uncounterable Chandra to have an alternative clock, but I think the deck is already good against control.. Not sure what we the bad matchups are..

After playing a league with megadeus list, i can confirm that the chalices are not good and should probably be replaced with bounce spells or something.
    Im gonna try some hydroblast too. Will continue to report.

Feb 2007
    San Diego

I see some people running defense grids in here. Would Teferi time raveler be a possible include?

Maybe, freak accident. The reservations id have with running TTR are the lack of sources of white right now, and more importantly that its another spell that cant be cast off a sol land.

Both of those issue are fixable with arcums astrolabe, which opens up a LOT of options (some of which may even be good!)

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Wordslinger View Post
    After playing a league with megadeus list, i can confirm that the chalices are not good and should probably be replaced with bounce spells or something.
    Im gonna try some hydroblast too. Will continue to report.
    Curious to how the testing is going. I'll be playing tomorrow with my list -1 trinket mage, -1 Antiquities War, +2 Urza. Chalices probably will become echoing truth or dismembers

I played another league and changed the chalices for 2 echoing truth, 1 hydroblast, 1 walking ballista. The 1 of hydroblast has gotten 2 pyroblasts already, so thats nice. I haven't used the echoing truths or the ballista yet, mainly because there's so much delver.
    I have no idea what I'm supposed to do sideboarding against some of this stuff either. I'm probably overboarding a bit.
    I should also mention that the maindeck is -1 mox opal, - 1 trinket mage, + 2 urza at this point (urza has been great)

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I played another league and changed the chalices for 2 echoing truth, 1 hydroblast, 1 walking ballista. The 1 of hydroblast has gotten 2 pyroblasts already, so thats nice. I haven't used the echoing truths or the ballista yet, mainly because there's so much delver.
    I have no idea what I'm supposed to do sideboarding against some of this stuff either. I'm probably overboarding a bit.
    I should also mention that the maindeck is -1 mox opal, - 1 trinket mage, + 2 urza at this point (urza has been great)
    Yeah that was my problem last well, especially when I had chalice. Had no clue what to take out. I was just shaving numbers of Thirst and Trinket Mage. The more I think about blue blast the more I like it. Counters naturally some problematic stuff like KCommand and Abrades and red blasts. Also with painter out can answer any permanent we deem problematic.

Another league this morning, thoughts:
    I want a couple copies of padeem in the board to fight abrades and decays and recsages and such, maybe in the walking ballista slot idk.

I'm thinking even harder about astrolabe, both to fix the issues from sol-land/narset/mox opal/island draws and to provide extra artifacts to fuel the replacement of thirst for knowlege with thoughtcast.

I also made the mistake of playing another league without hydroblast, which is not a mistake im going to make again.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Another league this morning, thoughts:
    I want a couple copies of padeem in the board to fight abrades and decays and recsages and such, maybe in the walking ballista slot idk.

I'm thinking even harder about astrolabe, both to fix the issues from sol-land/narset/mox opal/island draws and to provide extra artifacts to fuel the replacement of thirst for knowlege with thoughtcast.

I also made the mistake of playing another league without hydroblast, which is not a mistake im going to make again.
    You think Thoughtcast is better than the ability to discard Echo off of Thirst? I hadn't thought of Thought cast.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Why are you not playing brainstorm and fetchlands in your blue combo deck that has so much clunk???????????????????
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Why are you not playing brainstorm and fetchlands in your blue combo deck that has so much clunk???????????????????
    No free shuffle effects is pretty rough. Not much room for fetches because of the seats and the Sol lands.

My friend said maybe I should cut seat of the synod's and try to fit in Astrolabes.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

3-0 tonight with the list -1 Trinket Mage, -1 Antiquities War, +2 Urza; -4 Chalice, -1 Pithing Needle, +2 Into the Roil (store was out of echoing truth), +3 Hydroblast.

Round 1 UB Delver Control Thing
    Game 1: Him Island go. Me tomb into painter on red. Him delta go. Me tomb cast Grindstone. He pushes in response. Cast LED. Cast 2nd painter. Resolves and I win.
    Game 2: Delver go. Me Tomb, petal, petal, defense grid. Him no flip and attack. Me island Thirst for Knowledge. Him Narset, impulse for brainstorm and pass. Me, island, Narset, into the Roil his Narset, use mine to find echo and do it with LED. He draws 1. I can't remember what I draw but I echo again so he draws none. Winning from there a turn or 2 later was trivial.

Round 2: Lands
    Game 1: he exploration to second land and pass. I go Petal, Opal, LED, land into Narset hoping for echo. Don't hit it. Turn 2 he plays Depths, stage, makes Lage. Fuck I think I'm dead. Draw second LED, impulse for echo. Break both LED, and use second land to echo with 4 Mana floating. Get lucky and hit Karn + LED. Karn, LED, opal, break LED, get bridge and play it. Next turn flash back an echo from the grave and winning is trivial.
    Game 2: he goes diamond, diamond, land, exploration, cycles land and pass. I think I just drop defense grid and fast Mana. He draws into loam and depths but no stage. I think I turn 3 him with Urza and echo and stuff I don't really remember. I do remember playing Karn and getting Painter + Stone and led. He goes to use his diamond to pay for defense grid but I inform him of Karns static ability.

Round 3: Jund Loam Wren & 6
    Game 1: i don't remember that well, just that he had 2 bayou and Dryad arbor out. I think I had a turn 3 Narset + echo and he didn't do much.
    Game 2: he mulls to 5 and turn 1's Bob. I keep a slow hand. Bob reveals teeg. Fuck. He gets teeg and Bob. I have my into the Roil for teeg but I don't draw a 3rd land Until super late and teeg and Bob beat me to death.
    Game 3. I go City of traitors, painter, petal, opal, grindstone and pass. He says fuck. Breathes sigh of relief on his draw. Diamond, land, decay my painter. I untap, sacrifice petal, use opal, and my only lands, City into turn 2 Urza. He wastes me, plays W&6 and gets waste back. I use opal, grindstone, and construct to thirst. Find LED and land plus echo. Go LED, Opal, float two blue off of them with Urza ability, crack LED and echo. Draw 7. Sol Land, LED, Petal, Cast Karn instead of Narset or thirst. Use Karn on his diamond and pass. He untaps. Plays teeg and says if I show him painter in my board to wish for he'll scoop. I show and he does.

Deck felt insane. Non blue decks can't keep up. I need to test against more blue decks though. Hydroblast was never relevant for me unfortunately. Into the Roil was solid though. Glad I added those. Didn't miss Chalice. Urza was very good. I think 2 is a good #. I'll maybe write up an Astrolabe list to see how it looks. I'm not really sure about it, but turn 1 Astrolabe into turn 2 Tomb Narset seems pretty sweet.

Thread Information