Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Painter-Stone

Nov 2006
    London

Re: [PRIMER] U/R Painter

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
    Is anyone else liking Transmute Artifact much better than Trinket Mage?

Pros:
    -can actually get both combo pieces
    -costs at least 1 less to get Grindstone into play with it, costs less to get Crypt, costs less to get LED, costs less to get Top, etc etc

Cons:
    -UU cost means you can't play it turn 2 if you led with a sol land or with Furnace + Welder and have no active Opal
    -Needs an artifact to sacrifice (this has definitely not been an issue with this deck:)
    -Does not produce a Grizzly Bear

I just personally liked it better in testing and thought I'd share.
    I like that you can also use it as a psuedo entomb with something like Wurmcoil or Sundering Titan as well. It's definitely more awkward to cast than Trinket Mage or Fabricate, however.

Another option is Tezzeret 1.0. Anybody tried this? He's tutor and an alternate win con all in one.
    Last edited by keys; 04-21-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I play the 1 Trinket (the other flex being misdirection- proven to be pretty good) and it has been awkward for me too. I like having transmute artifact replacing the 1 trinket since it finds painter! Drawing extra grindstones/painters/leds/opals is always very awkward for me and Transmute may help alot in recycling dead multiples into something useful. Question is how many? I think 1-2 is ok because double blue is not something easy to come by. Another point to remember is that Trasmute Artifact has been reerataed recently and you sacrifice upon resolution of the spell and not as an additional cost. Awesome! Now opponents have to counter the tutor!

Those flex slots may just become MMS slots though.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Sintheros View Post
    Those flex slots may just become MMS slots though.
    How True, Trinkets and REBs should probably be traded in for Mental Minsstep. Card is insane. It's like all legacy decks will be: -4 of the worst cards in the deck, + 4 Mental Misstep.

I don't like the misstep, its too narrow... doesn't get you out of anything onboard and most of the enemy 1 drop do not matter at all... sacrificing speed for arguable kind of protection gets you to midgame when lifetotal can actually matter, its the same like playing 4 Tombs+ 4 Confidants, and you are dead to needles, revokers, meddling mages, enchantments which all can be played maindeck .. I don't like losing to random hate cards, thats a Merfolk style...

Transmute artifact seems awesome I like the synergies... but i would play counterbalance if i thought I can rely on UU, which proven itself exceptionaly bad half of the time through the testing... =/

Nov 2006
    London

Mental Misstep is not as good as REB/Misdirection in this deck.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

I've always felt that Show and Tell/Emrakul is an absolutely terrible sideboard plan, especially given how bad it is against what you're already weak against: Other decks packing Emrakul.

Why doesn't the deck pack a combination of more red Blasts and Llawan, Cephalid Empress, who with Painter Servant locks down the opponent's ability to play creature spells? Then with enough Blasts for counter backup, it's pretty easy for Painter and Llawan to just swing for the win over a few turns if you can't get the combo off.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Nov 2006
    London

Well. The deck's problem matchups are (a) Emrakul/Progenitus, and (b) those with lots of redundant removal.

The Show and Tell plan is a good way to beat problem (b), but it isn't very hot vs (a).

I think a better plan might revolve around Wurmcoil Engine. Like Emrakul, it wins in the attack phase rather than the draw step, and is quite good against burn and aggro strategies. However, Wurmcoil is much more synergistic with Welder and Transmute Artifact.

Here's what I suggest:

3 Grim Monolith
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Sundering Titan/Sphinx of the Steel Wind/Duplicant (imagine the NO Show player's face when you Transmute this up...)

Along with a 2-3 Transmute Artifact maindeck, this could work better than Emrakul/Show and Tell. The deck already plays 4 Goblin Welder and a decent amount of acceleration, so basically it transforms the deck into psuedo MUD.

Intuition for Wurmcoil with Welder in play?
    Transmute Monolith for Wurmcoil?
    Transmute anything for Sundering Titan with Welder in play?
    Transmute Wurmcoil for Sundering Titan?
    Discard a robot with LED, then use Welder?

This opens up a lot of interesting plays.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

So how would the 75 look like with the idea above?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Feb 2008
    NYC

I usually only post on the Imperial painter thread but I was board at work and was reading this thread and thought I could put some input in with respect to Show and Tell sideboard. I have played Imperial Painter in the monored form and tried all the splashes so I know a little about the deck. Feel free to read that thread a bit as I know you guys will find some aspects that will help you.

I have been runnning a Show and Tell sideboard plan for like 5 months now. Initially I used it to beat zoo as that match up is really aweful. For a while I was pushing a black splash for Perish and it helped but not enough. Decks like zoo, junk, and burn can not beat fast Eldrazi. That with the painter combo just gives you to many bombs essentially as so many of your draws are live.

That being said sometimes the Show and Tell is a liability. You have to be real careful with goblins b/c a Matron spells doom for you. In my experience I will board in the plan if I'm on the draw as i will have an idea how they are attacking me and also you are starting behind the eight ball and they can incinerator you out a lot easier. If I'm on the play I'm less likely to keep the Show and Tell in, but I will keep the Intuition and get rid of blast effects and make the world black.

Intuition and eldrazi are actually a great way to beat Eldrazi. Now in Imperial Painter you do a lot of beating with Magus of the Moon, but Trinket mage does a good impression here. All you have to focus on is using their Show and Tell against them. Don't waste spots in the deck with Show and Tell. Either Intuition in response or sandbag the Eldrazi. I have used it many times when I have played NO, Show and Tell decks. It doesn't allow you to mill, but you stop their clock and beat face with a bunch of grey ogers. I'd be happy to talk about this or my experiences playing this deck if people are interested.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Nov 2006
    London

Why fight an uphill battle against NO Show with uncastable Eldrazi and weenies?

The Wurmcoil plan is hardly worse than Emrakul against burn, Zoo and Junk. Sure, it's weak to Swords, but you have Forces/misdirections. Not much you can do about Karakas.

Tutoring Show and Tell is also just a poor use of Intuition. And if your last copy gets blasted, you're SOL. On the other hand, one Welder can do a lot of damage after Intuition for 3 Wurmcoils resolves.

My 75 looks like the list in the OP, but with 2 Transmute Artifact in the flex spots instead of Trinket Mage. Its not tuned but the sideboard looks like this:

3 Grim Monolith
    3 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Duplicant
    1 Sundering Titan
    2 Misdirection
    3 blasts
    1 Crypt
    1 Needle

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

We talked about the boarding plan already keys, I just wanted to add a little bit.

Doesn't this make you very weak to artifact removal, it seem with your plan, being blown out by Affinity hate is not unreasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Nov 2006
    London

What artifact removal is Wurmcoil + Welder vulnerable to?

So unless you run mainboard GY hate there is no way to beat MD Emrakul G1?

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    What artifact removal is Wurmcoil + Welder vulnerable to?
    Well thats just vulnerable to the same shit as other stuffs, however going for Monoliths makes Null Rod kind of the nut high against you.
    West Coast Legacy

Nov 2006
    London

Null Rod doesn't scare me. Just blast it with painter in play. Or if you're going the Wurmcoil plan, just hard cast them off of multiple tombs/cities, or use Welder, or Top/Brainstorm and break LED in response.

Quote Originally Posted by nayon View Post
    So unless you run mainboard GY hate there is no way to beat MD Emrakul G1?
    Outside of weenie beats or an amateur concession, you're correct. If you expect a lot of Emrakuls at a tournament, it's not a bad idea to maindeck a Crypt.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Null Rod doesn't scare me. Just blast it with painter in play. Or if you're going the Wurmcoil plan, just hard cast them off of multiple tombs/cities, or use Welder, or Top/Brainstorm and break LED in response.

Outside of weenie beats or an amateur concession, you're correct. If you expect a lot of Emrakuls at a tournament, it's not a bad idea to maindeck a Crypt.
    Lets be honest, if you expect a lot of Emrakuls, don't play Painter.

Good luck activating LED with Null Rod, also a lot of your mana base is shut off after a Null Rod, seems worry some to me.
    West Coast Legacy

Nov 2006
    London

RE: LED... brain fart. I guess don't board into Wurmcoil if you expect Null Rod. Does anyone play this anyway?

Mar 2010
    East L.A.

RE: LED... brain fart. I guess don't board into Wurmcoil if you expect Null Rod. Does anyone play this anyway?
    Didn't I borrow a Null Rod from you for the last tournament :)

I just bought my own playset of them last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingitouchdies
    We dont let drug laden fiends and swine come marching in and take our shit. We send them home with the memory of the monsters and vigilantes that curb stomped their dreams and threatened to animate their dead grandmother for a black and a colorless. No fucking around in LA.

Feb 2008
    NYC

It's really not an uphill battle. Crypt is strong but with the way you are playing the deck you lose every game 1. That is a real tough spot to be in. That and Show and Tell and Eldrazi decks are fast enough to realistically just beat Wurmcoil. They don't really care about lifelink when your whole board is gone. The more you play the deck you will realize that sometimes the grindstone isn't an option. But the deck is a combo deck and Eldrazi are a combo. Tricks with Wormcoils are not really a combo. Its a good creature, but if you are welding artifacts you could get much better ones with protection. It is sort of unrealistic to think you will cast them faster than a NO or Show and Tell will drop their bomb. I guess I'm just not impressed with Wormcoil, but that is just my two cents.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Thread Information