Page 304 of 428 FirstFirst ... 204254294300301302303304305306307308314354404 ... LastLast
Results 6,061 to 6,080 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Man, I like this deck a lot. Though, I have to say that I played a bit against Elves today and it was tough. Very grindy and hard to win. Otherwise, I really enjoy it :)

Englishman in New York
    Dec 2008
    Western Austria

Went to a local tournament (26 players, 5 rounds and Top 8 Playoff) made 4th place, getting around 60€ in card prices.

My list:

//Länder
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    //Kreaturen
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    //Andere
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    //Sideboard
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Engineered Plague
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Council's Judgement
    3 Thoughtseize

Round 1 vs. Merfolk

Good matchup, Mother of Runes, Knight of the Reliquary and Equipments go all the way. Win 2 - 0

1 - 0 - 0

Round 2 vs. Grixis Delver

In the first game he is greedy and has only a Deathrite Shaman and an Underground Sea as mana sources. Wasteland and my own Deathrite Shaman take care of that. In the second game I mull to 6 and decide to keep a mediocre hand (Thalia, 2 Fetchland, 3 other lands). I keep because Thalia is very good in this matchup and with 5 lands in hand my chances to draw actual gas are higher while not succumbing to opposing wastelands. So I draw into Mother of Runes but he plays Dread of Night before I get a chance to stick Thalia and Delver is leeching my lifepoints away. Stoneforge Mystic into Sword of Fire and Ice brings me back into the game vs. Deathrite Shaman and Delver and I stabilize one 1 life. He has some turns to find Bolt, but eventually my own Deathrite Shaman seals the deal. Exciting game! Win 2 - 0

2 - 0 - 0

Round 3 vs. Sultai Midrange

In the first game I have all I can ask for and my opponent is always on the backfoot. In the second game I eventually got overwhelmed by Baleful Strixes, I couldn't attack profitably while a pair of Deathrite Shamans nibbed away my life total. In the third game I got overwhelmed by lots of removal from his sideboard. Lose 1 - 2

2 - 1 - 0

Round 4 vs. Merfolk

The pairing gods are kind to me and I get another fish meal. First game he keeps a greedy hand with only Mutavault and Aether Vial and no other land, I have the Abrupt Decay and Wasteland to punish that. When he draws into lands I eventually assembled an active Mother, Knight and Jitte. In the third game I have triple Mother of Runes and triple Swords to Plowshares, but it takes some time till I draw into a backbreaking Stoneforge Mystic. He manages to get some Merfolk (including TNN and two Lords) onto the board, but I had everything under control. A Divert delays the inevitable for one turn. Win 2 - 0

3 - 1 - 0

Round 5 vs. Monored Painter

I get paired up (he has 3 wins and 1 draw) and we debate if we should draw for Top 8. We decide to play it out. I know what he is playing, so I keep hands with basics in both games. In the first game an early Blood Moon can't stop from developing my board and I have all the answers I need. In the second game he keeps a risky hand and my draw of four wastelands is good enough to rip apart his manabase and board. Win 2 - 0

I enter Top 8 with the second place after swiss standings.

Top 8 Round 1 vs. Reanimator

I don't know what he is playing, but I keep a strong hand with Wasteland, Karakas, GSZ and Mother of Runes I think. An early Griselbrand takes me by surprise, but Karakas takes care of that and Deathrite Shaman (via GSZ) seals the deal. Game 2 I have Swords to Plowshares for his Griselbrand, the second one is too much. In the third game I have an early Thoughtseize and Deathrite Shaman which slows him down. I have not that much pressure but Thalia constricts his mana a little bit, though he has 5 lands. He eventually found Pithing Needle, but I have the Abrupt Decay, so I can win. Win 2 - 0

5 - 1 - 0

Top 8 Round 2 vs. Reanimator

This time know he is playing a reanimator deck which relies on a fast Griselbrand. Unfortunately he is both times faster than me. Game 2 was interesting, he mulls to 5 and I keep a hand with Thoughtseize and Deathrite Shaman. I decide to go with Thoughtseize and see Brainstorm, Faithless Looting, Swamp, Bloodstained Mire and Badlands. I pick the Brainstorm, in his turn he loots into Reanimate and Griselbrand :( What would have been your play? Lose 0 - 2

5 - 2 - 0

Game for 3rd place vs. Burn

Game 1 he was too fast, in the second game I have Thalia, Ooze and Mother which are enough. In the second game I have a slow start and eventually lose against Sulfuric Vortex. Lose 1 - 2

5 - 3 - 0

Anyway, tournament was great, nice people and many thanks for TOs. My deck didn't disappoint me, the list runs very smooth but I think I have jam some games vs. Sultai Midrange (BG-Decks in general) and Reanimator, as I didn't expected them and got punished for that.

Looking forward to your comments!
    Last edited by Fl0do; 08-18-2015 at 07:53 AM.
    Formerly known as Bierbaron.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Played Maverick at a 68 man GPT at Knightware. Went 4-3. Beat: Academy Rector, Dredge, Esper Stoneblade, Infect. Lost to: Esper Stoneblade, Mentor Miracles, Merfolk. Think my list wasn't tuned well, and I've been pretty out of touch with the meta.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Okay, so I've retooled my deck. I've taken some cues from Fl0do's list above. Could I get any comments/tips? I step away from the format for a little while and come back to a host of scary shit. Here's the MD, SB, and boarding plans, and any tips are welcome. Canonist and Containment Priest are relatively interchangeable here, and preferences are invited.
    Maindeck: 61
    //
    Lands: 22
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    Creatures: 24
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Dryad Arbor
    Spells: 15
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    //
    Sideboard: 15
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    //
    Total: 76
    //

Here are my boarding plans. They could be shitty, but that's what wine and regret will do for you.

Miracles without Monastery Mentor:
    I have to be honest, most of my practice against this deck comes from Lossett's version, as that's what one of my playtest partners has. There's really only 3 of us in Bakersfield, so what are you gonna do.
    Out:
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    0-4 Knight of the Reliquary
    In:
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    0-4 Thoughtseize
    I'm fairly unimpressed by Knight in this match up, but I may be the outlier. And I'm always torn by whether or not to board in Seize, as it lets me interact with their hand, but is admittedly shitty in a game of attrition. Thoughts?

Miracles with Monastery Mentor:
    I've only played against this once, and it was a beating. As such, all comments are welcome.
    Out:
    1 Wasteland
    In:
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Gaddock Teeg

Elves:
    Out:
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Sylvan Library
    In:
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Toxic Deluge
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Ethersworn Canonist

Omnitell:
    Out:
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Abrupt Decay
    In:
    2 Krosan Grip
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg

Grixis:
    Out:
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    In:
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Zealous Persecution

Death and Taxes:
    Out:
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    In:
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Zealous Persecution
    0-2 Pithing Needle
    0-2 Krosan Grip
    Don't know about Grip or Needle, and if I want both, what other spots to take out. Should I just expect Rest in Peace, and board out some Knights and Deathrites, or no?

Anyway, that's all I got. With regards to the Knightware tournament, I was in contention for top 8 until the last round, and I don't feel too bad since one of my losses was to this guy: http://archive.wizards.com/magic/mag...pden13/welcome. Everyone there kicked ass and was gracious in victory and defeat. Dark Depths/Stage was shitty all day. I was happy every time I drew Mystic (I ran 2), and there were times I wished for another. I ran 2 Teeg/2 Pridemage/2 Ooze and felt that they lacked a lot of punch, so those numbers are going down. I may still want to swap Ooze and Qasali, because of Decay overlap. I really wanted Decay all day and ran 0 in the 76. I also ran Choke and Cataclysm, but saw neither all day. Cut them regardless, as they would not have aided me in the matches I thought I'd want them in. That's about it.
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Englishman in New York
    Dec 2008
    Western Austria

I feel honored for taking my list as a reference :)

I agree on DD/Stage-Combo, it's slow, unstable and costs important slots which I don't want to fill with cards that will increase bad opening hands.

I'm also playing without Cataclysm/Choke/Armageddon because the only deck that justifies such hosers at the moment is Miracles and there are better cards for this matchups with broader applications (Krosan Grip, Pithing Needle, Gaddock Teeg).

I also tried 3 Stoneforge Mystic, but I felt more comfortable with 2, personal taste I guess.

Scavenging Ooze is fine as 1-of, it rarely matters vs. Dig through Time and Deathrite Shaman does good work against the actual graveyard shenanigans. Better play some Surgical Extractions or Nihil Spellbombs in the SB.

I see you play a fetchland and a forest instead of Horizon Canopy and a Cavern of Souls, compared to my list. Do you have a lot's of Burn and fast Delver-Decks in your metagame?

I'm not sure if it's right to board out all Knights vs. Miracles, especially Mentor Miracles. At least I always want to be able to search for a Knight, it's just good to have the option for a big threat when needed.

Vs. Mentor Miracles I'm always looking to stick an Equipment. As long as you're not under pressure from a Monastery Mentor play the usual patient game vs. Miracles. As soon they have a Mentor I get more aggressive to force them into needing a quick answer or a Terminus which is also good for you. Value the Sword of Light and Shadow high against both Miracles-Versions, I personally search for SoLaS before I search for SoFaI. Simply because Protection from White will protect my Threat (at best a Gaddock Teeg) from Spot Removal and Angels/Mentors and so you get a serious clock going while getting back your countered creatures (while a draw from SoFaI may brick sometimes) and the life matters if you're under pressure from a non-Jace clock (resulting in 1 to 3 more turns to find something relevant).
    Always keep a green fetchland open, play Equipment and EOT fetch on Dryad Arbor to equip and attack in your turn is just soo good (not only vs. Miracles).

Vs. Elves I would also board in some Pithing Needles, more ways to turn off Wirewood Symbiote is important to get Jitte online.

Vs. Death & Taxes Pithing Needle is good to handle the Aether Vial and has applications against some other cards (Rishadan Port, Mangara, ...) too. I would not board out Knights because you fear Rest in Peace. Don't forget that Knight gets you Gaea's Cradle, which is busted in this matchup (it's often enough if you can make the Stonefore->Umezawa's Jitte, play Jitte and equip, then attack move).
    All in all it's not a matchup I'm worried about, you have better removal, bigger creatures and still a good manabase.

So I just finished my first legacy deck, Elves!, and for my second one I was looking at Maverick because it seemed to share some cards. Unfortunately, it seems the lists are pretty variable and meta tuned so I'm not exactly sure where to start. While I have not been able to play much legacy recently, I am told that of the 8 decks that show up each week, about 3 are reanimator, and 2 are elves (The other 2 people change each week), with another reanimator player building his deck right now. What sort of direction is best for this type of meta game?

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Play multiple Oozes and Surgicals in the board. For Elves, run Zealous Persecution.

-Matt

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

4 Deathrite Shaman, 2 Scavenging Ooze, 1 Bojuka Bog maindeck. I assume you have Karakas, it's necessary. If you're feeling saucy you can try a singleton Anafenza, the Foremost MD as well. You'll want 2 Containment Priest, 4 Thoughtseize, 2 Toxic Deluge and 2 Zealous Persecution in the sideboard. These numbers can be shifted around, but it's what I'd like to have on hand. In a larger event Bog and Anafenza likely wouldn't make the cut.
    -ktkenshinx-

Alright thanks for the help. While I don't have the karakas right now, I certainly won't be playing any events with this until it's almost entirely complete. The only other question I have is would this deck be playable with shocklands. I've been making them work with Elves just because of how fast it is, however I know in daze decks it makes them almost unplayable. Would I be able to play without them, or should I just sideline the deck until I get them?

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

With all the fetching and knight activations, shocks seem like a pretty bad idea. Personally, I'd sideline it. Luckily, you can get away with 2 Savannah, 1 Bayou, and 1 Scrubland.
    -ktkenshinx-

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    With all the fetching and knight activations, shocks seem like a pretty bad idea. Personally, I'd sideline it. Luckily, you can get away with 2 Savannah, 1 Bayou, and 1 Scrubland.
    Ok, that's understandable. Normally I won't settle for anything less than ideal, but with the shitty canadian dollar, and the problem that every person with duals wants to be paid in USD, I've been trying to cut some corners.

Englishman in New York
    Dec 2008
    Western Austria

Quote Originally Posted by ljackstar View Post
    Ok, that's understandable. Normally I won't settle for anything less than ideal, but with the shitty canadian dollar, and the problem that every person with duals wants to be paid in USD, I've been trying to cut some corners.
    Without access to duals I would play straight GW. Though Red and Black add strong cards to the Maverick deck, I think GW is still a viable option.

jtw11632 on MTGO

Aug 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Fl0do View Post
    Without access to duals I would play straight GW. Though Red and Black add strong cards to the Maverick deck, I think GW is still a viable option.
    What would a new age GW list look like? I myself prefer the clean, original GW list with a nice happy Enlightened Tutor sideboard and some nice healthy toolbox lands. Scryb Ranger, Aven Mindcensors, etc.

I am a little out of touch with the meta, if Miracles is still big (the deck that killed Maverick IMHO) then it might be tough. But if the format is just Delver and Stoneblade decks I think a toolbox deck with a good pilot could fair well.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Miracles is still plenty big.

Besides that, the format has evolved in response to other cards that make the black splash necessary. Unless you are running Decays main, the deck has a pretty rock solid manabase, and even if you are it's fine. Splashing black gives you DRS (awesome, doesn't die to -1/-1 effects popular in the format). It also lets you play Toxic Deluge, Zealous Persecution, and Thoughtseize in the sideboard. In my opinion, these are all necessary in a room with Young Pyromancer, Monastery Mentor, and the host of X/1's in the format right now. Red for Punishing Fire is alright, but clashes with Thalia significantly, and Thalia gives you a significant edge in your bad match ups, whereas Fire gives you an edge in your even/good match ups. Not to mention the fact that the red splash hurts your mana quite a bit, whereas the black splash integrates it much more cleanly.

How do people feel about Monastery Mentor in Miracles? On one hand, it makes our Teegs significantly worse, as they often cut Jace and Entreat. However, it turns our Swords on, and their mana is easier to punish. I played against it once, it crushed me, but that list was an awkward halfway point between Mentor versions and Entreat versions (and IMO worse against the meta at large).
    -ktkenshinx-

Englishman in New York
    Dec 2008
    Western Austria

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    How do people feel about Monastery Mentor in Miracles? On one hand, it makes our Teegs significantly worse, as they often cut Jace and Entreat. However, it turns our Swords on, and their mana is easier to punish. I played against it once, it crushed me, but that list was an awkward halfway point between Mentor versions and Entreat versions (and IMO worse against the meta at large).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fl0do View Post
    Vs. Mentor Miracles I'm always looking to stick an Equipment. As long as you're not under pressure from a Monastery Mentor play the usual patient game vs. Miracles. As soon they have a Mentor I get more aggressive to force them into needing a quick answer or a Terminus which is also good for you. Value the Sword of Light and Shadow high against both Miracles-Versions, I personally search for SoLaS before I search for SoFaI. Simply because Protection from White will protect my Threat (at best a Gaddock Teeg) from Spot Removal and Angels/Mentors and so you get a serious clock going while getting back your countered creatures (while a draw from SoFaI may brick sometimes) and the life matters if you're under pressure from a non-Jace clock (resulting in 1 to 3 more turns to find something relevant).
    Always keep a green fetchland open, play Equipment and EOT fetch on Dryad Arbor to equip and attack in your turn is just soo good (not only vs. Miracles).
    That's my plan, works for me so far.

@Straight G/W Maverick: I would go heavy on Equipment (3 Stoneforge, 3 Swords) because you lack the black sweepers against tokens and play a couple of Council's Judgement, also the manabase can support at least 2 Cavern of Souls. I don't recommend Enlightened Tutor in the board, the card disadvantage is real and not worth the potential benefits. Aven Mindcensor's 3CC is really an issue, play more Gaddock Teeg or Ethersworn Canonists before you play Mindcensors. Don't play too much cute toolbox things, keep it as straight as possible especially when you're just starting to play Maverick. Once you have more experience with the deck, you will know which toolbox cards you want (or not).

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I'll be trying this:

4 Mother of Runes
    2 Noble Hierarch
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Sylvan Library
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Savannah
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    4 Wasteland
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Abrupt Decay

SB: 2 Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 3 Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 3 Thoughtseize
    SB: 2 Zealous Persecution
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog

Reasoning being I really want to run my extra Beta Birds that I got (otherwise, it should obviously by DRS). Maybe 2 SFM is too low nowadays, but whatever. We'll see.

I really like that list matt

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Tell me why you like it. I know why I like it, but you tell me ;)

-Matt

Jan 2011
    York

Are you boarding the surgicals vs omni matt. Im assuming cutting moms dad and the plows whats the tenth card coming out scryb ranger? Or are you boarding the full twelve relevant cards?

Edit. Personally I think dryad militant is incredibly well positioned in the current meta and wouldnt mind seeing one over a surgical.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

@sdematt you gave up on Courser!? Shame on you...

I'd personally cut 1 Thalia since you've got a chunk of "spells", but that's just me. I also don't respect safekeeper enough to crack the 75

Thread Information