Page 233 of 428 FirstFirst ... 133183223229230231232233234235236237243283333 ... LastLast
Results 4,641 to 4,660 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Harmonic Sliver is a helluva card.
    Yeah, sliver is probably the best answer, although O-Ring and Krosan Grip are good in the matchup already too.

I'm surprised anyone is played cursed totem, both this match and Elves shouldn't need the help from Miracles' board.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Hm, surprising people are giving Maverick/Death And Taxes that much credit these days. I cannot see anyone bringing that in vs stoneforge or deathrite shaman. I have used harmonic vs cursed totem/moat in the past, as well as E tutor and Serenity out of the board.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Hm, surprising people are giving Maverick/Death And Taxes that much credit these days. I cannot see anyone bringing that in vs stoneforge or deathrite shaman. I have used harmonic vs cursed totem/moat in the past, as well as E tutor and Serenity out of the board.
    I would bring it in against Miracles (regardless of E-tutor or not), Lands, and Show & Tell. Vs Stoneblades, creature spot removal and planeswalkers is fine.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I would bring it in against Miracles (regardless of E-tutor or not), Lands, and Show & Tell. Vs Stoneblades, creature spot removal and planeswalkers is fine.
    Oh, I meant people bringing in cursed totem against us. Yes, harmonic seems great in those matches you mentioned though, as does leonin relic warder, though leonin would be better in vial builds and harmonic better in GSZ builds.

BTW I am going to that GPT at knightware on Oct 13th. You going to be there?

Jun 2011
    Russia, SPb

Hello everyone. I just had great weekend in Milan. I played maverick at the legacy part of Ovinogeddon and went all the way to the finals, where I split the prizes with my friend.
    The list is something that is not popular here right now:

Creatures (24)

3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Birds of Paradise
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Weathered Wayfarer
    3 Mother of Runes
    2 Sylvan Safekeeper
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Stoneforge Mystic

Planeswalkers (1)

1 Garruk Relentless

Lands (23)

4 Savannah
    1 Forest
    2 Plains
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Horizon Canopy
    4 Wasteland
    1 Rishadan Port
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Dark Depths

Spells (12)

4 Aether Vial
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Crop Rotation
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Sideboard
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Harmonic Sliver
    2 Oblivion Ring
    1 Eladamri's Call
    1 Krosan Grip
    3 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Gaddock Teeg

Short report:
    407 players, 9 rounds, top8

R1. Grixis 2:0; Won with Dark Depths in first game and mother of runes - scavenging ooze - knight of the reliquary - equipment in the second, lived through perish. There were no confidants and lavamancers, but there were tombastalkers.

R2. UWr RIP Miracles 2:1; Won 1st game with dark depths, and with pithing needle+hatebears in the 3rd game.

R3. ANT 2:0; Turn 2 Revoker naming LED won me 1st game, and I mindbreak trapped in game 2.

R4. Grixis 2:0; It was a tough race. Jitte let me answer all confidants in g1, pithing needles and revokers let me answer lavamancers in g2.

R5. Canadian Thresh 0:2; Mulliganed to 5 in g1 and to 6 in 2. Also my opponent countered most of my early threats, also delayed my Dark Dapths activation with stifle and raced with creatures. Now I am 4-1 and have to win all the rest to be in top8.

R6. Goblins 2:0; G1 won with Dark Depths and G2 won with Sword of fire and ice.

R7. UWr thopter Miracles 2:0; Dark Depths in G1 let me champblock a lethal angel token and let me win next turn. In g2 needles, revokers and harmonic sliver gave me victory.

R8. UWr Miracles 2:1; It was one of the most difficult games that day. I had no chances in G1 - Terminus and Entreat the Angels for 6 didn't leave a chance. In g2 and 3, however, I managed to block his game with pithing needles, wastelands and hatebears.

R9. ANT 2:0; Feature match. He had a slow hand g1 and I was able to save my live with scavenging ooze and finish his life with finding Thalia with Garruk. G2 I mindbreak trapped his Ad Nauseum.
    overall 8:1

In top8 I think I was all the time on camera. It's difficult for me to recollect the games, but they were very hard and completely mind blowing. The things that let me win against both DnT were: side out my vials and needle/revoker their vials, Marite Lage, Birds of Paradise wielding Sword of Fire and Ice, Garruk killing opponent's Stoneforge, making an army of wolves and finding me KoTR, needle on wasteland, sylvan library.
    Top8: DnT 2:1
    Top4: DnT 2:1
    Finals: split, getting 2 of each dual and fetch.

The videos should appear soon. Eagerly waiting to watch and analyze my play. Overall great weekend, great italian people met, one of the wishes accomplished (win a big tourny with my own brew).

Great thanks to Luis Viciano aka M@verick, whose vial build was a foundation for my current D2D Maverick. Birds of Paradise which you signed for me was keeping me up all the day! Also huge thanks to my russian test team: Roman Nikolaev, Nikita Shavirin, Oleg Silyukov and Vladimir Padve, with whome I actually split the finals.

The mtgq.it asked me to write a primer on my list, so perhaps it will appear there soon, so if you have questions you can wait for the article, or shoot me here/in pm but I'm not sure I'll be able to answer fast. Thanks for reading!
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted...

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by door View Post
    Gratz. Very cool build! I played against "M@verick" online and gotta say it's indeed a surprisingly solid deck.
    Q: Why Birds over Hierarchs - just for SoFI?
    Edit: 23 land seems excessive alongside 3 Birds, 4 Vials and 2 Wayfarers. Obviously 23 didn't keep you from winning, but don't you think 22 might the correct amount?

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Congrats on your finish,

Few interesting questions (can be a hint to article which are you writing):

- Singleton rishadan port - is 6th off-color land gives enough value for its cost of destabilize your color mana - specially when your vial wasn't on opening hand ?
    - how Eladamri's Call as GSZ substitute for vial build was working for you ?
    - single crop rotation - I understand that it powerup your DD-Sage plan did it matter in your plays ?
    - Surgical Exctraction / Oozes - you didn't face any gy-based decks - with crop rotation did you would replace 1 Surgical for Bojuka ?
    - 3 Revokers MD and 2 more Pithing Needle on sb - that's quite a lot - how it was in practice ?
    - 3 Miracles in Swiss - thats very though MU for Maverick specially Vial build - from perspective on those matches what would you change MD/SB ?
    - in top you faced two D&T - looks like meta was very focused on Vial decks, you said that your strategy was take off vials and name them with revokers - your sb didn't contain more removal which is the key in creature-centric mirrors how you deal with turn 1 mom - keeping hands with StP, like vs Goblins ?

Good luck with writing I will link the article in primer (probably should also update it with few recent lists based on last tournaments)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Grats on your finish, door.

It seems like Dark Depths did quite a bit of work for you. When did you normally get it online?

I'm also suprised that you only run one SFM. Vial Maverick is normally more equipment-centric to compensate for the lack of GSZ.

Quote Originally Posted by door View Post
    awesome
    Congrats on the split! It's great to finally see someone go all the way in a huge tourney with Maverick with Depths.
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

No maze of ith? Is that standard in vial builds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I am glad you did such a good job. Congratulations on your finish, Door.
    You won ANT 2-0 twice, wow!

Birds of paradise is undervalued (even more if it is signed :P). It´s a beast carryng a SOFI.

There is a common belief that GW can´t beat miracles. That not happens to GW vial, at least in my experience. I dont know Ilya´s deck, which have a fast clock with DD, but I main 2 gaddock very hardly countereable thanks to vial and caverns, and protected with mothers and safekeepers. Stoneforge is also a house, and with equipments in battlefield, all creatures become killing machines.

I am surprised that Ilya just play one stoneforge. ¿what about oozes? ¿did they work well?
    I have never thought about siding out aether vial agaisnt DnT. But I will consider in the future.

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

Congratulations door, I’m really happy you did great with Vial Maverick + DD combo, my favorite deck!
    Your rework of the list is extremely interesting, love your land toolbox. Only question, why two basic plains?

Jun 2011
    Russia, SPb

Thanks everyone! As Fatal suggested I will use these questions as tips for my primer.

Quote Originally Posted by klaus View Post
    Q: Why Birds over Hierarchs - just for SoFI?
    Edit: 23 land seems excessive alongside 3 Birds, 4 Vials and 2 Wayfarers. Obviously 23 didn't keep you from winning, but don't you think 22 might the correct amount?
    birds let block delvers and tombstalkers, also they deliver equipments past blockers. Sometimes it lets you not lose against fast delver or win on a spot just with a BoP and sword. I am convinced that this is more important than some additional damage dealt with exalted from hierarchs. I won against DnT with bird wielding jitte with one counter, when there was Thalia, Mystic and jitte under opponent's control. As a bonus I can name noble hierarch with revoker in mirror match.
    23rd land is Dark Depths, which occupies a spell slot. 22 mana lands is thoroughly tested and is optimal for me in the current build.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Congrats on your finish,

Few interesting questions (can be a hint to article which are you writing):

- Singleton rishadan port - is 6th off-color land gives enough value for its cost of destabilize your color mana - specially when your vial wasn't on opening hand ?
    - how Eladamri's Call as GSZ substitute for vial build was working for you ?
    - single crop rotation - I understand that it powerup your DD-Sage plan did it matter in your plays ?
    - Surgical Exctraction / Oozes - you didn't face any gy-based decks - with crop rotation did you would replace 1 Surgical for Bojuka ?
    - 3 Revokers MD and 2 more Pithing Needle on sb - that's quite a lot - how it was in practice ?
    - 3 Miracles in Swiss - thats very though MU for Maverick specially Vial build - from perspective on those matches what would you change MD/SB ?
    - in top you faced two D&T - looks like meta was very focused on Vial decks, you said that your strategy was take off vials and name them with revokers - your sb didn't contain more removal which is the key in creature-centric mirrors how you deal with turn 1 mom - keeping hands with StP, like vs Goblins ?

Good luck with writing I will link the article in primer (probably should also update it with few recent lists based on last tournaments)
    Thanks a lot! Those are some interesting questions.

- actually it's 7th - on turn1 Gaea's cradle doesn't give mana either. But for me it's optimal. In M@verick's list from BoM it was 6/22, where two lands are Cavern of Souls, which sometimes miss the next needed creature type.
    - Call is better than Zenith here for 3 major reasons: it searches for not just a green creature, it searches what you can currently put with aether vial, and it's instant, meaning it's much better in responce to show and tell at least. It is sided in when the game is around my particular creatures and it is completely unpredictable. You can call for Teeg and put it into the battlefield from vial in responce to a miracle trigger, for example. Call searches for an instant answer unlike zenith, which is more like a 1 each additional green creature.
    - I think I would not. While oozes serve as a universal anti BGx and graveyard strategy hate, surgicals are sided in mainly against punishing fires, combo decks and miracles (when they don't play RiP against me) and can give a more various effect. Bojuka bog is a 1 timer and too clunky for me today. When I extract something I prefer to be sure my opponent doesn't topdeck another copy in future. Also sometimes it's very useful to shuffle their topdeck away. So it's not all about anti graveyard..
    - in my tests revokers were always rocking in two most difficult matches - miracles and jund. They have only two disadvantages - 2 in manacost and being a subject for a creature removal. I had 2 slots in my SB and couldn't decide whether I put chokes there or mirran crusaders or smth else. Then I realised I could fix both matches with pithing needles. As a bonus they are awesome against grim lavamancers, the most deadly t1 creature against me. I didn't encounter jund this time, but played 3 times against miracles, and needles made a huge contribution to my victories.
    - Though miracles is still a very difficult match up, I'd like to play well enough against other match ups too, so I think I would not change anything. But indeed, there can be done more. Krosan grip would be better than harmonic sliver and 1 or 2 surgical extractions might be changed into chokes. I think, miracles match up would be around 70% after sb in this case. But in a big tournament you can face anything, so I would not make my sb so narrow. Perhaps, it's easier to pick up another deck to fight miracles, isn't it?
    - I was preparing for a more midrange/control/combo metagame, so I didn't put additional removal into sb intentionally. Against DnT my hope was to get early equipment online or at least play revoker/needle naming mother of runes. I play only 3 of my own mothers and 2 sylvan safekeeper, so it would not hirt me that much. Also I knew, no one was ready for the Dark Depths combo so it always was my secret tech, especially against non-white decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It seems like Dark Depths did quite a bit of work for you. When did you normally get it online?

I'm also suprised that you only run one SFM. Vial Maverick is normally more equipment-centric to compensate for the lack of GSZ.
    I always play careful with the combo, as it takes lots of my resources in case of a fail, so I try not to blind play into it. Usually it is assembled with an active knight when there are no wastelands on the horizon and mom/safekeeper can protect it from a possible StP. So it is more about a perfect moment than an AS SOON AS POSSIBLE strike. I had some best case scenarios on turn 5 I think during Ovino. Anyway, it is always faster, even with time for assebling the combo, than it would take through an old school beating with a knight, especially when they can have infinite blockers with Young Pyromancer these days.

Stoneforge is not as good as it was some time ago, so I decided to lower it's count. There are too much stifles, lavamancers (grixis) and abrupt decays, together with sb Wear/tear, smash to smithereens and ancient grudge these days. Partly it was changed into dark depths+crop rotation and oozes to help me with most problematic matches. On the other hand I left a minimum package, which mainly serves as an anti tribal hate and an additional card advantage in grindy situations. I don't think GSZ can be compensated by Stoneforge mystic. GSZ mainly makes the deck more consistent overall and helps to get early Teeg/ooze online, while SFM serves as an additional game plan of assembling a nearly unanswerable robot + always helps in a tribal/control meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    No maze of ith? Is that standard in vial builds?
    no place for maze unfortunately, even with crop rotation. Also all decks that I want to have maze against play wasteland.

Quote Originally Posted by M@verick View Post
    I am glad you did such a good job. Congratulations on your finish, Door.
    You won ANT 2-0 twice, wow!

Birds of paradise is undervalued (even more if it is signed :P). It´s a beast carryng a SOFI.

There is a common belief that GW can´t beat miracles. That not happens to GW vial, at least in my experience. I dont know Ilya´s deck, which have a fast clock with DD, but I main 2 gaddock very hardly countereable thanks to vial and caverns, and protected with mothers and safekeepers. Stoneforge is also a house, and with equipments in battlefield, all creatures become killing machines.

I am surprised that Ilya just play one stoneforge. ¿what about oozes? ¿did they work well?
    I have never thought about siding out aether vial agaisnt DnT. But I will consider in the future.
    Thanks, Luis! Oozes served their role against Grixis and ANT, though they are mainly against Jund, but I'm happy I did not encounter it. The problem with SFM is that they are always much worse after SB. So I decided to lower their count. Against DnT I sided out 3 Thalia, 2/4 Vials (depending on who was playing first), 0-2 oozes, 0-1 crop and DD (depending on how aware of it was the opponent) and put in 2 oblivion ring, 1 sliver, 1 grip, 2 pithing needle, 1 e-call. I think DnT is more vial-dependent than merfolks and goblins, and without vials it is a very-very slow hate deck, while maverick plays easily with only lands and birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Morte View Post
    Congratulations door, I’m really happy you did great with Vial Maverick + DD combo, my favorite deck!
    Your rework of the list is extremely interesting, love your land toolbox. Only question, why two basic plains?
    Thank you! I have more white than green t1 plays, besides it is much more important against delver decks to be able to cast StP and have less forests to play around Submerge, plus wayfarer likes white mana.

I had a quick question for you Door. Why did you go Sword of fire and Ice over the other options (notably, Sword of light and shadow or Sword of feast and Famine)? Is there a specific reason or do you think the sword of fire and ice is just the better sword, overall?

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

How is maverick surviving in this meta? There's so much red around with punishing fire, pyroclasm, and rough/tumble.

Curious as to what I can do to help the bant list.

@door

Congrats!

Questions:

How was Garruk Relentless?
    How was Crop Rotation?

Would you make any changes to the deck now?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Since Maverick kinda sucks in the current MTGO meta, I'm going to brew and test some G/W stuff on Cockatrice:

- Elvish Spirit Guide: The general problem of our hatebears in the combo match-up is often that they come into play too late. ESG might help here (and helps against Blood Moon, too). The card disadvantage is probably going to be the bane of the card, but who knows until it's actually tested?
    - Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary: Sigarda on T3? Sounds hilarious! Having another fetchable, broken accelerant aside from Cradle certainly has potential and is the stone-cold fucking nuts with Quirion Ranger/Scryb Ranger. Already had a game where I was able to cast a Batterskull ( due to Thalia) and Sigarda on the same turn, despite being stuck on 3 Savannah +1 Hierarch the entire game. Also one of the reasons why I'm trying out Garruk Relentless.
    - Sigarda: An absolutely game-winning bomb. Hopefully even easier to power out with Rofellos.
    - Garruk Relentless: Easier to cast with all the green mana accelerants than Elspeth (although I might slam her somewhere into my 75 again for more value). Has also synergy with Master of the Wild Hunt, although that synergy is proably hardly going to matter.

Sideboard:
    - Sylvan Safekeeper: Sometimes good, sometimes terrible. He's needed in certain match-ups, but blows in others. He might fit better into the sideboard, but needs to stick around somewhere in the 75 to keep your key cards alive.
    - Cold-Eyed Selkie: Tech from Sunyveil. Between Exalted triggers and Jitte, it's an absolute must kill for all Islands players. If it can stick around, it takes the game over quickly. An unblockable beater who not only beats down for 5-6 damage, but also draws 5-6 cards a turn is nightmare for player on the other side of the table.

Jun 2011
    Russia, SPb

Quote Originally Posted by ThediscoPower View Post
    I had a quick question for you Door. Why did you go Sword of fire and Ice over the other options (notably, Sword of light and shadow or Sword of feast and Famine)? Is there a specific reason or do you think the sword of fire and ice is just the better sword, overall?
    I left a small mystic package in my list basically for additional card advantage in control match ups and as a strategy against tribal decks. In these cases sword of fire and ice serves me in the best way. Additionally it is good against the popular young pyromancer decks.

Quote Originally Posted by litenkatt View Post
    How was Garruk Relentless?
    How was Crop Rotation?
    Would you make any changes to the deck now?
    As long as the metagame does not shift, I wouldn't change anything.
    Albeit I rarely saw Garruk in my hand that day, he was very good. I resolved it only in couple of games, but it won me those games.
    Crop rotation is mostly for a faster comboing off, and against any deck it is always a big surprise. I like it in my list.

Thread Information