Page 343 of 428 FirstFirst ... 243293333339340341342343344345346347353393 ... LastLast
Results 6,841 to 6,860 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

I just picked up Maverik again last night for mtgo. Trying the classic winning list.

Had an epic match against neely with like 1 minute left on clock for both of us by the end of the match. New thalia was prett good, but i definitely made some mistakes (havent played maverick in years or even mtg in a couple months). Ended up 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    I just picked up Maverik again last night for mtgo. Trying the classic winning list.

Had an epic match against neely with like 1 minute left on clock for both of us by the end of the match. New thalia was prett good, but i definitely made some mistakes (havent played maverick in years or even mtg in a couple months). Ended up 1-2.
    The mirror is always fun. You weren't playing scryb ranger, that always gives me the advantage! Sorry about the slow play, I'm usually watching my 1 and 3 year olds. Just remember the match up is all about mom and equipments. That is why scryb ranger is great!

Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by NEELEY View Post
    The mirror is always fun. You weren't playing scryb ranger, that always gives me the advantage! Sorry about the slow play, I'm usually watching my 1 and 3 year olds. Just remember the match up is all about mom and equipments. That is why scryb ranger is great!
    Yes, I knew I was outclassed game 1 from the time you played the 2nd mom. Once scryb hit the field it was just a long slow death.

I just played another match vs affinity. Etched champion and 2 cranial platings sealed game 1. I had a jitte and creatures of course, but they weren't getting through that.

Game 2 is what really pissed me off. I had a great hand with multiple deathrites and a stoneforge to grab jitte early and swing with it turn 3. My opponent starts off with ancient tomb pithing needle (DRS) and aether vial. I am like, alright, at least I can still go on the jitte plan. He plays manriki-gusari (lolwut?) and then ANOTHER pithing needle this time on Jitte. Needless to say, didn't really matter what else I did, he had the inevitability at that point outside of multiple Qasali Pridemage draw. He eventually drew tezzeret and wrecked me anyways.

Felt pretty unlucky after that one.

Edit: These Thalia, Heretic Cathars are cool, but I am feeling the hurt that 3 drops put on your early game development. The times when you have a manadork are great and can power it out turn 2, but I am experiencing some additional "clunk" than I am used to running Mav.

Edit: These Thalia, Heretic Cathars are cool, but I am feeling the hurt that 3 drops put on your early game development. The times when you have a manadork are great and can power it out turn 2, but I am experiencing some additional "clunk" than I am used to running Mav.
    Yes I also think they are also just okay.The 3 equipment package has been good for me and leads to strong turns with a top decked stoneforge with cradle.

Mar 2009

I did just win a match against elves thanks to new Thalia. Maybe I was too quick to pass judgment on her XP.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

I did just win a match against elves thanks to new Thalia. Maybe I was too quick to pass judgment on her XP.
    What does she do to make it so superb

Mar 2009

Elves really wants creatures to ETB untapped because of Heritage Druid/Birchlore and Cradles entering tapped give you time to find a wasteland before they can make a billion mana. I was able to buy enough time to assemble Mom + Jitte and take over.

Also, I was able to stave off a Wren's Run Packmaster with both Thalias out.

What has people's impression's of Sanctum Prelate been now that its been a few weeks of play?

Alright, finally got to start in Legacy, I'm still missing a couple of cards and I currently have no duals or Wasteland, but I plan on buying them in the long run.
    Went to a 4 round tournament and ended up at 2-1-1 with this list:

Creatures
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

Equipment
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Spells
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Library

Lands
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Forest
    1 Overgrown Tomb
    3 Plains
    1 Swamp
    3 Temple Garden
    1 Thespian's Stage
    3 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Choke
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Ghostly Prison
    2 Mirran Crusader
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Zealous Persecution

I realized when I came to the event that I had packed absolutely no graveyard hate. I'm wondering which is the best, Rest in Peace or something along the lines of Grafdigger's cage ?

Anyway, here's the report:
    Round 1 Burn (0-1)
    Game 1: I have no real way to protect my creatures nor to really deal with a guide so I just get chipped away.
    Game 2: I manage to get an early Jitte in which helped me stabilise a lot, my opponent eventually conceded because she was running out of gas and the Jitte had too many counters.
    Game 3: I manage to stabilise a bit, but eventually the fact that I'm playing shocklands instead of duals caught me

Round 2 UR Delver (1-1)
    Game 1: YP early, I had no real way to deal with all the tokens early on, and I stabilise way too late to get back in the game
    Game 2: Much better start, I get a Marit Lage online turn 4, opponent has no way to deal with this
    Game 3: This one got quite long. I have a Marit Lage with a Mom on the board with two KoTR. Opponent bounces the Marit Lage, but with the combo I have enough lands to swing for 16 with the KoTR and get it done anyway.

Round 3 DnT/Clerics
    Kind of a weird deck, it plays a part of the DnT shell but with Mikaeus and some clerics on top of it.
    Game 1: Opp puts a Phyrexian Revoker online to deal with my KoTR but I have GSZ for Pridemage, so I get the combo off
    Game 2: I'm a bit light on mana and it get cut off of green so I can't do much
    Game 3: I keep a one-lander with GSZ. I get an early Sylvan Library online which allows me to find answers for everything. I get the DD off and he scoops.

Round 4 Abzan Deathblade
    Game 1: Opp misplays and taps and doesn't use his wasteland on my Thespian's Stage while my KoTR is still summoning sick, I get Marit Lage and finish him off.
    Game 2: I get some pressure in early with a Mirran Crusader but opp finds a StP. He starts running away with the game with a Batterskull and a Jitte so I scoop.
    Game 3: I get kind of stuck on lands, and as soon as I start getting back into the game I get double Hymn'd. A Mirran Crusader again helps me stabilise, but it ends up in a draw.

I was super happy to go 2-1-1 for my first event, and I'm really having a blast playing the deck. I'm making mistakes for sure, but I feel like I can spot some of them in hindsight.
    Really looking forward to Friday's legacy FNM.

Mar 2009

4 Deathrite Shamans and an Ooze is usually enough GY hate, if you need more I'd opt for Containment Priest, Bojuka Bog/Crop Rotation, Surgical Extraction.

Grafdigger's turns off your Zeniths, but if your meta has a lot of Dredge might be worth it. Rest in peace I would only play if I expected Lands or Aggro Loam. Otherwise the shrinkage to Knight is just not good.

There are many Reanimator and Drege players, but you're right that Ooze + DRS might be enough. I guess I'll see when I play against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockeid View Post
    There are many Reanimator and Drege players, but you're right that Ooze + DRS might be enough. I guess I'll see when I play against them.
    If you need more GY hate in your meta I personally love Surgical in this deck because a 0 mana instant is a different angle of attack than all your 1-2 mana permanents, applies to storm too.

Might be a good pickup anyway, I'll try to see what the meta looks at the other LGS. I'll probably to adapt my SB for Eternal Weekend over the next couple of weeks.

Mar 2009

Also, Thomas Herzog used to play Ooze #2 in the Sideboard. I think Containment Priest effectively ended that though.

My favorite is Containment Priest because you can protect it from Abrupt Decay with Mom. It can be a little slow, but DRS at least comes online pretty early. We also have Karakas/Knight search to fight Reanimator. Crop Rotation is especially useful, either to get Bog or Karakas depending on the situation.

Mar 2009

How many Zealous P do you guys bring in against True-Name.dec? Like Deathblade for example, where TNN is the only real target (aside from "countering" their Zealous P)?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

How many Zealous P do you guys bring in against True-Name.dec? Like Deathblade for example, where TNN is the only real target (aside from "countering" their Zealous P)?
    Depends on if there are any other creatures to pick off with ZP. I think SoFI is more than enough to handle TNN. My experience is that he only attacks when Jitte is active.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Just to clarify, you're talking about any deck playing TNN? I bring in as many sweepers as possible.

4C: kills TNN, Strix
    Grixis: kills unflipped delver, TNN, Strix, Y. Pyromancer tokens
    Bant: kills Mom, Noble, TNN, Arbor
    *These decks may also have access to Clique and/or Snapcaster

Quote Originally Posted by Lockeid View Post
    Alright, finally got to start in Legacy, I'm still missing a couple of cards and I currently have no duals or Wasteland, but I plan on buying them in the long run.
    Went to a 4 round tournament and ended up at 2-1-1 with this list:

Creatures
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

Equipment
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Spells
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Library

Lands
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Forest
    1 Overgrown Tomb
    3 Plains
    1 Swamp
    3 Temple Garden
    1 Thespian's Stage
    3 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Choke
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Ghostly Prison
    2 Mirran Crusader
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Zealous Persecution

I realized when I came to the event that I had packed absolutely no graveyard hate. I'm wondering which is the best, Rest in Peace or something along the lines of Grafdigger's cage ?

Anyway, here's the report:
    Round 1 Burn (0-1)
    Game 1: I have no real way to protect my creatures nor to really deal with a guide so I just get chipped away.
    Game 2: I manage to get an early Jitte in which helped me stabilise a lot, my opponent eventually conceded because she was running out of gas and the Jitte had too many counters.
    Game 3: I manage to stabilise a bit, but eventually the fact that I'm playing shocklands instead of duals caught me

Round 2 UR Delver (1-1)
    Game 1: YP early, I had no real way to deal with all the tokens early on, and I stabilise way too late to get back in the game
    Game 2: Much better start, I get a Marit Lage online turn 4, opponent has no way to deal with this
    Game 3: This one got quite long. I have a Marit Lage with a Mom on the board with two KoTR. Opponent bounces the Marit Lage, but with the combo I have enough lands to swing for 16 with the KoTR and get it done anyway.

Round 3 DnT/Clerics
    Kind of a weird deck, it plays a part of the DnT shell but with Mikaeus and some clerics on top of it.
    Game 1: Opp puts a Phyrexian Revoker online to deal with my KoTR but I have GSZ for Pridemage, so I get the combo off
    Game 2: I'm a bit light on mana and it get cut off of green so I can't do much
    Game 3: I keep a one-lander with GSZ. I get an early Sylvan Library online which allows me to find answers for everything. I get the DD off and he scoops.

Round 4 Abzan Deathblade
    Game 1: Opp misplays and taps and doesn't use his wasteland on my Thespian's Stage while my KoTR is still summoning sick, I get Marit Lage and finish him off.
    Game 2: I get some pressure in early with a Mirran Crusader but opp finds a StP. He starts running away with the game with a Batterskull and a Jitte so I scoop.
    Game 3: I get kind of stuck on lands, and as soon as I start getting back into the game I get double Hymn'd. A Mirran Crusader again helps me stabilise, but it ends up in a draw.

I was super happy to go 2-1-1 for my first event, and I'm really having a blast playing the deck. I'm making mistakes for sure, but I feel like I can spot some of them in hindsight.
    Really looking forward to Friday's legacy FNM.
    Possible replacement for Wasteland is Ghost Quarter. Most of the legacy decks don't run a lot of basic anyways (Delver,Shardless,Eldrazi). Also its really good if you are running into a lot of LANDS and Miracles as you can recur back with life of the loam. Its a suggestion (I would probably cut the 2 Flooded Strands and 2 Plains for the full playset.

the DD combo is fine in certain matchups, but since Maverick tends to have greedy hands, eventually you might not even need it. It will ruin your consistency.

Mar 2009

I was thinking more for decks where TNN is usually the only X/1, though I guess those all play Baleful Strix these days anyways. Like say game 1 you see 2 Deathrite Shaman, Stoneforge, and a TNN. Do you bring in both zealous persecution?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
    Possible replacement for Wasteland is Ghost Quarter. Most of the legacy decks don't run a lot of basic anyways (Delver,Shardless,Eldrazi). Also its really good if you are running into a lot of LANDS and Miracles as you can recur back with life of the loam. Its a suggestion (I would probably cut the 2 Flooded Strands and 2 Plains for the full playset.

the DD combo is fine in certain matchups, but since Maverick tends to have greedy hands, eventually you might not even need it. It will ruin your consistency.
    I could include one or two Life from the Loam and some number of GQ to see how it goes. Sure it's only been my first time but the DD combo has been what helped me most of the time, I guess I need to play against more different decks to better gauge whether of not it's good enough to stay in. I already had to mulligan several times because I got stuck with a hand with DD, but I guess I had the luck with me since every time I mulliganed I had a good enough hand.

Thread Information