Page 287 of 428 FirstFirst ... 187237277283284285286287288289290291297337387 ... LastLast
Results 5,721 to 5,740 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Couldn't play this weekend....could not drive more than 2 blocks before turning back. Weather is a thing in the Northeast :(

@Dark Confidant:
    I've run him throughout last year in varying degrees of dark maverick. Sometimes he punishes the opponent by giving you significant CA. Other times he does as you fear: dies to removal quickly before activating.

My biggest qualm was the manabase "working" with a noticeable increase of required black mana. You must somehow pay for Bx, Gx, Wx, GWx and possibly BG (decay) in a deck that wins through mana denial/disruption. I DID have successes but also some head-scratching situations. With deck construction, I wanted a lot of fetches to mitigate potential color-screw situations but had to make many compromises. More fetches means less duals/basics/utility some of us have grown to love. Confidant also ruins your green creature total. This is why I can support the vial idea by the recent SCG list. I don't totally agree with that 75, but running Zenith would have been sub-par. In exchange of Zenith, Vial "works" with more white guys + confidant.

Then came in-game situations: Knight needed a lot more duals to fool around with in the mid- to late-game. I learned to be cognizant of what lands I had on the board at all times. You don't want to suddenly "sacrifice" a black dual only to see the next one get wasteland-ed by your opponent...etc.

I value 3 confidants = 2 sylvan library. I liked 3 confidant + 1 library the best (just due to spacing / flex slots of the list I was running at the time). Confidant almost requires you run 3-4 DRS and 2-3 duals. I would suggest 3 (2 bayou, 1 scrub as my sweet spot). He's awful in a room full of removal, combo (does nothing), and burn (UR delver, the now-defunct TC delver especially). If you want to dream big: work out a list that's human heavy so you can somehow abuse Cavern. The SCG list with Vial is also a good route to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    Couldn't play this weekend....could not drive more than 2 blocks before turning back. Weather is a thing in the Northeast :(

@Dark Confidant:
    I've run him throughout last year in varying degrees of dark maverick. Sometimes he punishes the opponent by giving you significant CA. Other times he does as you fear: dies to removal quickly before activating.

My biggest qualm was the manabase "working" with a noticeable increase of required black mana. You must somehow pay for Bx, Gx, Wx, GWx and possibly BG (decay) in a deck that wins through mana denial/disruption. I DID have successes but also some head-scratching situations. With deck construction, I wanted a lot of fetches to mitigate potential color-screw situations but had to make many compromises. More fetches means less duals/basics/utility some of us have grown to love. Confidant also ruins your green creature total. This is why I can support the vial idea by the recent SCG list. I don't totally agree with that 75, but running Zenith would have been sub-par. In exchange of Zenith, Vial "works" with more white guys + confidant.

Then came in-game situations: Knight needed a lot more duals to fool around with in the mid- to late-game. I learned to be cognizant of what lands I had on the board at all times. You don't want to suddenly "sacrifice" a black dual only to see the next one get wasteland-ed by your opponent...etc.

I value 3 confidants = 2 sylvan library. I liked 3 confidant + 1 library the best (just due to spacing / flex slots of the list I was running at the time). Confidant almost requires you run 3-4 DRS and 2-3 duals. I would suggest 3 (2 bayou, 1 scrub as my sweet spot). He's awful in a room full of removal, combo (does nothing), and burn (UR delver, the now-defunct TC delver especially). If you want to dream big: work out a list that's human heavy so you can somehow abuse Cavern. The SCG list with Vial is also a good route to go.
    Your summary of Confidant/Vial made me realize that Living Wish + Vial is a sick card combination....

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Quote Originally Posted by TMagpie View Post
    Your summary of Confidant/Vial made me realize that Living Wish + Vial is a sick card combination....
    It does look nice on paper. In practice, you're very slow/vulnerable.

Hi guys. I'm getting back into magic and never had a real legacy deck before (always borrowed decks, half built them without staples or played bad jank home brews) but now that I am playing again I'm buying into maverick and I am pretty excited! I've done some testing on cockatrice (tweaking my list) and wanted to ask you guys a question.

What do you think of Sword of Light and Shadow against BUG decks?

From my experience it seems to be pretty good in that most of the times they try to use discard, counters or spot removal through destroying our creatures so I feel like in this matchup we will have something in our yard (usually) that we can get value out of the sword with.

It also turns off a lot of the spot removal and I think makes our creatures that much more resilient against them. That said they do have lillis and I've seen some play toxic deluge, depending on the build, not to say they won't have answers to a creature equipped with the sword. But I think it helps and the life gain can be relevant in grindy matchups especially if they're trying to bring the beat down with TNN.

So obviously it's not a trump card against them and the sword really shines against decks like DnT but I think it's something worth having against them.

So what do you guys think?

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Thats really a side benefit. It is best used against Miracles to lock them out with Gaddock Teeg. However, it has good play against Bug. Feast and Famine is better if youre looking to break the Shardless matchup.

Mar 2014
    Tennessee

Hey guys, I'm going to be playing in a small SCG IQ this weekend, and I have been planning on playing either this deck or Elves. Right now I'm leaning toward Maverick because there has been a huge uptick in storm locally. My list is somewhat metagamed for my area (literally all blue combo, delver decks, and two miracles players). What do you guys think about this list?

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Dryad Arbor

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sylvan Library

4 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    2 Cavern of Souls
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Bayou
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas

Sideboard
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Choke
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Scavenging Ooze

I like the list. Spirit of the Lab is obviously one of your tuned meta inclusions, but it should serve you well (people like drawing those cards).

I like running a 3rd Teeg and a 2nd Qasali in the board, but those are flexible slots.

Let us know how the IQ goes.

Apr 2014
    Southern California

Anyone having an annoyance with Tasigur? I have. I'm going to try and put in a 1 of maelstrom pulse (go down to 2 abrupt decay) to deal. It overlaps nicely with removal of permanents over cmc 3 which is nice (Jace, Sneak Attack, Humility, etc.)

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Do you find you're running out of Swords? Make it easy on yourself and run Paths in the board. Don't derdle around with higher mana, slower, and off colour.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by DudeItsCorey View Post
    Anyone having an annoyance with Tasigur? I have. I'm going to try and put in a 1 of maelstrom pulse (go down to 2 abrupt decay) to deal. It overlaps nicely with removal of permanents over cmc 3 which is nice (Jace, Sneak Attack, Humility, etc.)
    Is Tasigur's ability really that broken? Because I'm assuming a vanilla 4/5 should be easy enough to outclass.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

To be clear, we're referring to Tasigur, the Golden Fang? What does he do (and in what deck) that you can't handle? You already have access to swords/path/decay/O-ring stuff.

Apr 2014
    Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    To be clear, we're referring to Tasigur, the Golden Fang? What does he do (and in what deck) that you can't handle? You already have access to swords/path/decay/O-ring stuff.
    Yes Tasigur, the Golden Fang. He is basically and un-abrupt Decay-able goyf that can net card advantage. My really only answer is Knight or Swords mainboard. however, he usually drops down after we're both in top deck mode. I just figure having a way to deal with him that can also clear away charbeltcher tokens, destroy a jace and sneak attack could be good for our deck. I find colorless/green/black more reasonable than double white (for Council's Judgement). My local Meta is Crazy for Bug right now. I have even gone up to 2 Scooze mainboard as a result.

Yes Tasigur, the Golden Fang. He is basically and un-abrupt Decay-able goyf that can net card advantage. My really only answer is Knight or Swords mainboard. however, he usually drops down after we're both in top deck mode. I just figure having a way to deal with him that can also clear away charbeltcher tokens, destroy a jace and sneak attack could be good for our deck. I find colorless/green/black more reasonable than double white (for Council's Judgement). My local Meta is Crazy for Bug right now. I have even gone up to 2 Scooze mainboard as a result.
    Nothing against Maelstrom Pulse, but by the time Jace or Sneak Attack hit the table the damage is already done. Thalia/Wasteland hopefully keeps them from ever casting them at all. If you really insist on a 3cmc removal, I'd almost think Vindicate would be better. At least it's never dead and can support the denial plan.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

It's a lot easier to be armchair with this response + I haven't kept up with lists running him so I apologize. If BUG is running him as a "un-abrupt Decay-able goyf", you have options. First, Rest in Peace has always hit BUG hard in my experiences. Landing RIP disables the delve (ie; nothing to remove) and the ability of Tasgir while also nerfing DRS and Goyf. If they decay RIP that means there's one more guy in your army. Second, you can always go with Mom allowing infinite-blocking or Thalia + Karkas for the same thing. Tasgir is just a ground-n-pound dude. Third, you can utilize O-Ring or Banishing Light. This is the most widely-applicable option...as it's good against permanents you described (Jace/Sneak/Sneak Targets/etc). I agree that 3cc spells aren't the best solution, but it would be silly not to mention this as a wide "catch-all" option.

If your meta is crazy for BUG, run a ton of anti-BUG cards. 2-3x Mirran Crusaders can go the distance. Likewise, you may want to run Sword of Feast and Famine....turning DRS and Nobles into legitimate threats. If you're concerned about discard, you have choices in Lox, Baloth, or WLL (I love WLL in general). Personally, I'd opt for NO in the sideboard. I ruined people at the GP qualifiers because NO is so fast. Given BUG's limited countermagic, you can answer Tasgir with something even bigger like Progenitus (race), Ruric (cantrips and removal = 6 dmg), or Sigarda (eats delver, disables Liliana's sac). I haven't been an advocate for Choke but some top players are clearly having success with that in the SB too.

Afro Dave

Jan 2012
    West Palm Beach, FL

If you have Thalia and Karakas, just bounce Tasigur and attack with Thalia. He's legendary too.

Quote Originally Posted by evilGod View Post
    If you have Thalia and Karakas, just bounce Tasigur and attack with Thalia. He's legendary too.
    Karakas does seem like the obvious anti-Tasigur tech since you're already running it anyway (or at least, you really should be).

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Why can't GWb build utilize Tasigur themselves?

Not being GSZable seems like the only downside, aside from cannibalizing lands from your GY.

I don't see why Tasigur should be problematic. Most of the time he's just a Goyf, and that's a creature we can handle quite easily.

I'm thinking of uping to 2 Ooze maindeck. He's insanely good in almost all matchups, especially against RUG/BUG delver. It is a clear correlation between sticking an Ooze and starting to eat graveyards and a won game, atleast for me :)

I am so ambivalent when it comes to Decays. I really hate the taxing Talia causes and the awkward mana it requires. Still, it's such a good card but maybe it should be located in the SB?

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    I've played configurations with Decay main and Thalia in the side (heresy right?). Either way, you can pick which one you would rather have for almost every matchup.

Decay is very powerful and I think it has a place in the 75. You may have to change your manabase a little though, I know some people just play 1 Bayou 1 Scrubland for the typical splash cards but I would add the 2nd Bayou if playing Decay as well.
    If it's in the main 60 I'd definitely want the 3rd black source, but out of the sideboard 2 is generally fine. It's also depending on whether you're running 4/1 or 3/2 DRS/Hierarchs.

As for the Tasigur discussion... what would he add? Every other 1-of in the deck is searchable. You can't GSZ him, and without an active Cradle 4 mana is a lot for one card. I'd much rather just tutor up a Sigarda or something that will actually close the game out.

Speaking of Sigarda, are people running her right now or is the six mana (including GSM cost) just too much in an environment with a good amount of Wastelands?

If they are running her, what are they cutting from Antrim/Herzog'Herzog ' s list for her?

Thread Information