Page 264 of 428 FirstFirst ... 164214254260261262263264265266267268274314364 ... LastLast
Results 5,261 to 5,280 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    Hello Source community. LONG-time lurker, first-time contributor. I used to be the Legacy mod over at 'Salvation. Been a part of the greater CNY legacy meta for 7 years. Fair warning, I wrote a book. There’s a lot to talk about.

==
    Deck
    I rearranged how SCG lists my 75. Source: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...hisweekend-tab

Maverick :: Chris Scagnelli :: 10th Place @ SCG: Syracuse
    Creatures (25)
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Noble Hierarch
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Knight of the Reliquary

Spells (13)
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    2 Sylvan Library
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

Lands (22)
    1 Karakas
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Plains
    2 Forest
    1 Scrubland
    2 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard (15)
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Wilt-Leaf Liege
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Toxic Deluge
    3 Zealous Persecution

I’ve been on a roll this year with Maverick. I’m a decent player in an extremely talented CNY meta. Several months of prize support across “monthly” events and now this 10th place finish at a SCG Open (tied 8th place but had bad breakers) makes me feel I have some credibility in what Maverick is doing. Had attendance been lower, my X-1-1 would have made Top 8. Life goes on.
    ==
    About my list

Before anyone asks, no, I don’t test or play MTG too often. Occasionally I’ll binge on cockatrice to practice or test out ideas (vacations, prep for a big event) to get the rust off. I work and workout everyday. MTG is just my hobby.

Maverick wins because it’s just plain annoying. It has cards that, in a vacuum, are cute-yet-disruptive. The synergy of annoyances stack rather quick in your favor. I respectfully disagree with some of Koby’s deck choices (SCG NJ) like Sigarda and 3x Wastelands + lots of utility stuff. K.I.S.S —- Maverick is insane because you have killer consistency of Mom, Thalia, Wasteland, KotR, Zenith working together. Going back to the deck’s roots of 4x “core cards” paid dividends. Then there’s Thalia-Wasteland being your bread and butter. You want to ensure Thalia-Wasteland is a thing.

The inspiration for my decklist came from Thomas Herzog, who I’ve complimented several times on Salvation. Never met or talked to him but his list is THE definitive “stock list” for Zenith-based Maverick IMHO. Post #5155 with 1mpulse (friend of Herzog) got me to see Maverick in a different way. Link: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post807555. A lot of what 1mpulse said in that post made a lot of sense. This is where I started to see Library more as a “finisher/trump card” than just “utility”. I was also baffled to see 0 abrupt decay and a miser Choke. That couldn’t possibly work on paper. But the more I gyrated towards their list, the more I felt these guys saw something I didn’t.

For Sunday, I took the risk of cutting Gaea’s Cradle and Fetch #8 for DD/Stage. Source members commented how you’re not even gaining “colorless lands” by making said swap. In the opener, both packages function the same. In the mid- or late-game, DD/Stage has considerably more upside, letting you pressure out of nowhere. Throughout the day, I won a handful of games by generating a 20/20 flying indestructible token.

==
    I do this from memory and the life-total pad. During the player’s meeting, I found myself sitting between 2 dredge players. I loved my list except 2 flex SB parts. I debated about Armageddon, Surgical Extraction, or Rest in Peace. I turned the the guy on my right as asked, “What’s worse for you as a GY deck? Surgical or Rest in Peace?” He answered, “Surgical is annoying when your deck needs the grave but Rest in Peace is a much bigger pain.” I gotta thank whoever this man was. The last-minute swap from Surgical —> RIP paid off in later rounds.

Rd. 1 - UWR Patriot w/ Delver, SFM, & TNN [Match Loss]
    We chat at the beginning and I feel out the kind of player I’m facing. He’s borrowing a friend’s deck and doesn’t really play Legacy (but understands how to pilot the deck). Ironically, we talk about sleeves and marked cards/cheating while shuffling (foreshadowing here).

Game 1 - I nip away at him. He eventually drops a TNN. I assemble DD/Stage and just lethal him the next turn.

Game 2 - I cut some stuff for the ZP and perhaps a toxic. He drops Delver turn 1. I waste. He blind-flips delver and basically rides that as I can’t find removal. Drew crap across the game.

During this game, I call out my opponent for having marked cards. He’s got metallic blue sleeves with what can best be described as “bubbles” (imagine a staple tucked between the back of the Magic card and the color-part of the sleeve). A few of his cards have this clear as day in the middle the card-back. A few judges come over, take his deck away (checking for patterns, ask us questions privately, and ultimately rule his cards ARE marked.
    At this, I’m told there my opponent has a warning and that play should continue. I’m like, “not to be rude, but may I appeal this to the head judge?”. I know you get warnings but I thought cheating at this level meant a game-loss. The head judge comes over. We speak in private and I shake his hand while politely accepting his confirmation of the marked cards constituting a warning. I’m not one to nickel-and-dime my opponents, but marked cards is fucking cheating, okay? This opponent will be forced to re-sleeve next round.

Later in the game, my opponent has a “dexterity issue” — during the draw phase. He “accidentally” lifts the 2 highest cards on the top of his library. He does not place two cards in his hand, however, his quick fiddling and eyes at the deck send a red flag that he’s got advanced knowledge. I call judge again. More talking and yet another visit from the head judge. Because I’m an honest player, I give my opponent credit: I cannot confirm whether my opponent saw the next card — but he was certainly looking at the top 2 cards in some capacity. It all happened fast. The head judge thanks me for being honest. I made the case that this is my opponent’s second cheating-type behavior and now I’m really concerned. Do these two behaviors work towards a game-loss “upgrade path”? Apparently they do not.

We have a whopping +14 minutes going into game 3 due to judge calls. At this rate, the event will wait on us. There’s 10 minutes and change on the natural clock, meaning we’ll have plenty of time to play the round out.

Here’s where my morning goes to shit. I’m on the play and draw a 7-card clunker. Lots of colors: including QPM, ZP, and STP. No lands. As I look over my hand, a young player I am friendly with sits down next to me. I’m going to take the mull but I flash him the hand. This kid nods. I don’t think I wasted anytime in announcing “mull”. I peek at the top of the deck to see a wasteland (good call on mulligans). 5 seconds tick by. While shuffling to draw a 6-card mulligan, my opponent is screaming for a judge.

Long story short, he claims I’m seeking “outside support” on the hand. Are you fucking kidding me!? Head judge comes by yet again. This time there’s a back and forth (he came to table, went away, came back quickly). It’s deemed I will be given a match loss for outside support. I appeal, please my case, and chat with the head judge in private. The head judge actually understands where I’m coming from. He takes my word that I had a shit hand with no lands. A true 7-card clunker someone would mulligan 100% of the time and no outside assistance was intended. However, the kid ’s reaction to my hand put me in the wrong. I could have appealed to the other head judge but from the way this guy was talking, the verdict would stand. I’m devastated because this is apparently way worse, even with my plead, than the 2 instances of cheating from my opponent. He plays on through 2 acts of cheating and I’m hit with no warning or other penalty (ie; double-mulligan from 7 to 5 or something). Auto-match loss.

During this time, we gathered a large crowd. Many Source friends are starring at me, the judges, and the opponent in disbelief. The kid who sat next to me was also handed an auto-match loss for round 2 (mine was for Rd. 1 only).

**Aside: I really wanna make it clear — the 7-hand had 0 lands. My mulligan would occur 100% of the time. I wish there could have been a warning or even some other penalty like a double-mulligan (like going 7 to 5 directly). Something other than match loss. This is especially alarming after my opponent was confirmed to be cheating with marked cards. His demeanor over the match changed once I called him out on the “dexterity” thing. I’ll keep things civil by saying I hope I never run into this crook again.
    I hold nothing against the judges, head judge, or SCG. A younger version of myself would have raged out. It was just very very unfortunate to start my event and day with this. Additionally, the kid who sat next to me probably felt crushed. I told him several times I don’t hate him + MTG is a game. We’ll both learn from this experience. He kept checking in on me throughout the day and I said the same thing. It’s no big deal, even if it costs me the event. I have maybe 10 years on him. This won’t be the death of me lol.

On another note, I appreciate the support I got from the crowd and Source friends. Everyone appeared to be on my side and several of you listened to me vent/bitch. I’m grateful for the support.

Round 2 - UWr Miracles [Win]
    As we transition to round 2, a regular-level judge takes me aside to just talk things out. I’m not in rage mode more than I am in vent/bitching mode. Emotionally feel awful. I can’t recall this judge’s name but he was especially helpful. The complaining helped me regain composure.

The player I sit across from was near me during the previous round. I know he’s got terminus, which tips me off that he’s on Miracles.
    Game 1 - I ride Thalia + Sword of Fire and Ice to victory. He sent my first Thalia plowin’ but that’s why we run 4x.

Game 2 - I outlast A LOT of attrition but can’t close. He STP’ed both Gaddock Teegs and used 2x Terminus + 1x Verdict. Yikes. Snapcaster also occured. I may have lost 2 thalia in the process. Idr.

Game 3 - I run through him. Sylvan Library is just monstrous. He made a weird play involving a fetch with SDT 2/3 of the way into the game and said afterwards that was his punt. He was a good player. On paper I was up against a brick wall. I believe Karma rewarded me for being polite and respectful towards the judges round 1.

Round 3 - 4C Deathrite w/ TNN [Tie]
    One of the nicest players to face in competition. He’s super chill. Became Fb friends after the event :)

Game 1 - I lose quickly as his midgame demolishes mine. All the good things a greedy manabase can get you.

Game 2 - We go back and forth. Like “wtf kind of luck do you have to topdeck that” type back and forth. I opened with double wasteland but he answered with eventually finding his own wasteland, decaying something I had, etc. I kill him (5 life) while I myself sit at 3. Luck.

Game 3 - Nobody can outright win during turns. However, if we had infinite time, he certainly had me. We end in a tie with him having Jace and Liliana to my nothing. I’m at 11, he’s at 23. I was clearly going down a bad road. Had something + KotR in my hand IIRC (would have died quickly to double walkers).

Round 4 - MUD [Win]
    Going into the match, I’m 1-1-1 with possible daylight if I play smart.

Game 1 - Pharmacist comes over to talk with both of us. We have a small discussion and actually relax as we become acquainted with one another. The one real misplay of the day: I open with land -> Noble. He opens with Sol land -> Greaves. This is where rust kicks in. I’m staring at 3 mana on turn 2 and have a choice between QPM (safe, smart) or KotR (aggressive). Like a dumbass, I go with KotR thinking I can take out his mana on my turn 3. Opponent drops Metalworker, greaves-equips, shows a hand of brown, makes a boatload of mana, drops blightsteel, greaves-equips, railroads me for 9 poison. No STP in hand means I scoop.

Game 2 - I pull Gaddock and Moms in favor of Thoughtseize and Deluge. Mom does nothing against colorless. Gaddock ain’t stopping this caliber of big stupid things. I drop mana accel and he drops Trini. I wasteland and roll from there. He can’t do too much.

Game 3 - I nearly lose the match after controlling his lands for a while. At some point later in the game he’s got a tapped Monolith, some nonbasics, a darksteel land, graves, and the staff of lots-of-weird-options. Thoughtseizes throughout the game denied him any real threats.
    I have DRS, QPM, Thalia, and a nice sized KotR. I had the choice to wasteland tutor or swing. With nothing in his hand, I decide to chop him down from 18 to 11. He topdecks wurmcoil. Crap. Moves to equip it with graves —> I QPM nuke in-response to convert the 6/6 into its 3/3 offspring. He swings with the deathtouch one (thanks to greaves) and I fall to 12. Meanwhile, I’m sitting on Deluge. I use my dorks for value, deluge for 3 (wiping the board excpet KotR), and use my girl for the beats. About 2 or 3 turns progress with, my opponent tapping down KotR on upkeep. I respond by land-tutoring in-response for wastelands. Eventually, my opponent lacks the mana to untap monolith, tap my KotR on upkeep, or play threats. He extends the hand and wishes me luck. Great guy.

Round 5 - Goblins [Win]
    Game 1 - He opens with Plateau -> Vial. Goblins perhaps? Maybe some RW weenie/denial hate-deck? I’m not sure. Several more turns go by. No creatures but vial #1 (2 counters) looms alongside vial #2 (0 counters). He EOT flashes in Thalia, drops cavern naming “goblins” and the little green men punish me as I draw little to no pressure.

Game 2 - I win thanks to pressure. No real details to discuss.

Game 3 - This is a tight one. The game is in my favor for the first 1/3. Then he manages to Ringleader-chain crap in. About 2/3 through the game, I’m on the backfoot trying to mitigate damage. I need something big. Boom - KotR. I play smart and avoid lethal. At some point I have an option to attack (pressure, cut into his life total) or drop a second KotR. I had a feeling I should have played KotR #2 but instead swing. I leave dorks and a QPM + Arbor to defend. He Pyrokenetics the QPM and a Stingscourger in the dark bounces KotR. I replay the KotR and hold on tight as Jitte is in the hand. Some tight plays help me hunker down at 11. I manage to dig out of the mess by having Jitte eat his team alongside a ZP. We go to turns. On “extra turn 5” I have 2 active KotR (one holding jitte) and Arbor. He’s got matron back on defense — sitting at 8 life. I zenith for 2. Only finding Scooze as a relevant card. I declare attacks with only arbor and KotR #1 while Scooze and KotR #2 sit back. He misplay by letting KotR #1 through. I activate KotR #2 to tutor. Sacrificing Arbor (+1 land) for a wasteland, then nuking my own dual (+2). These extra 3 lands allow me to swing in for lethal while my opponent kicks himself. Reaaaaally lucky here. I don’t think my opponent saw lethal lines of play.

Rd. 6 - BUG Delver [Win]
    My opponent’s level of friendliness hinged upon how he was doing in the match.

Game 1 - Rides delver. Stops anything I have.

Game 2 - I bring in RIP, Deluge, Wilt-Leaf. I assemble all the hate I need: Wastelands early, Thalia, Scooze, Sylvan, RIP. He decays the RIP but his goyf were miniscule. He scoops them up when he sees how much bigger my team is than his.

Game 3 - Trop -> Delver. I Wasteland. He can’t blind flip. I pull Thalia as he can’t assemble mana. Delver can’t flip. I assemble a small team but he’s really fighting to play stuff (manages to pay 2 to Ponder). He flips delver but it isn’t until I have considerable pressure. The finishing blow came as I sit on Sword of Light and Shadow, Sword of Fire and Ice, and Wilt-Lead in Hand. He Hymns. Hurray Randoms. I chuck a sword and WLL comes to play. He curses and scoops. That’s why we play WLL folks.

Rd. 7 - Junk/Maverick Hybrid [Win]
    As we take out our decks, he reveals Liliana (I flash DRS). Not sure what he’s on exactly but there’s trouble brewing. Another solid contender for one of the nicest players I’ve ever faced. I actually wished he talked more because he had a soothing baseball announcer-type voice.

Game 1 - I really just try to gain information: Lili, Goyfs, Savannahs, Mom, Thoughtseize. Hmm…interesting. His friend walks over as I assemble DD/Stage and trolls him by whipping out a Marit Lage token for me to use. We both chuckle.

Game 2 - He gets Bob online and takes a bit of damage because of it. Then I see he’s got Souls. Crap. Late in the game, I’m at 13 to his 6. His card advantage by this point is insane. With no DRS, I can’t race him. Just when there’s a small chance I can punish his confidant triggers, he goes SFM -> Batterskull. I scoop because he’s got me on the lifelink.

Game 3 - I play tight and take some early damage. At some point he Oblivion Rings my QPM (to hold off his eventual jitte). I manage to just beatdown through him regardless. I can’t remember much but the life total pad has me stopping at 15 while he goes 18 -> 17 - > 14 - 13 -> 11 -> 8 -> 7 -> 6 -> 1. I do recall him making a last-ditch effort and kinda stabilizing at 1. He shipped the turn only to have me DRS him for the win. I get the handshake and a good luck. Let’s ride the X-1-1 train.

Rd. 8 - PG Pox/Loam
    At this point, it’s being discussed how X-1-1 will probably not make Top 8. However, this issue comes into contention as everyone except the 1 and 2 seed are in a “play to get in” scenario. I’m not good with figuring out breakers so I just push for being a potential dark horse. My opponent and I are apparently the only X-1-1’s during the final round so there’s hope. Regardless, we were all walking away with money and the tension certainly left the table. This was the most enjoyable match because for the most part, we all “made it”.

Game 1 - I am not sure whether I’m facing Nic Fit or Loam. I lead with the Jedi move of Forest -> DRS. He cabal therapies “Wirewood symbiote” only to see the Maverick Shell. It was over quickly thereafter. Didn’t see any creatures but I figured he therapy’ed hoping to hold off elf combo.

Game 2 - I see the Loam work in action. Certainly a loam deck. His first 2 dredge-loam chains are insane. I call a goofy and friendly time out to look at my sideboard. RIP smiling right at me from the deck box. Yup, let’s do game 3 because there’s a really important card that’s not in my deck. The both of us + onlookers laugh at this.

Game 3 - I Thoughtseize turn 1 to see he’s got double Liliana + Spinning Darkness. Nifty card. I pull one of the lilianas and pass. He doesn’t do much (slow starter). I work hard to drop dorks and Scooze. Most of these cards just die to sacrifice effects and removal but Library keeps me chuggling along. I’m stalled on Plains, Bayou, Wasteland and can’t shoot him down because I need the mana. However, I cross a threshold at some point and break the game open. My life total notes have me at 17 while he goes 18 -> 17 -> 16 -> 14 -> 12 -> 11 -> 8 -> scoop.

==
    Comments
    Holy crap I rallied from 0-1 to 6-1-1. Maybe I have a chance? 8th slot (burn) edged me and 9th place out by a very close 2%. While it sucks I didn’t make top 8 for the controversial round 1 situation, I’m REALLY proud of going x-1-1, representing Maverick, and playing out of my mind. If the room wasn’t borderline 9-rounds, I’d be in top 8. But it’s not a sour grapes situation…perhaps the matchloss paved the way for a playable bracket. If I won round 1 perhaps I’d get slaughtered later on. It’s never a good thing to play the hypothetical game. Make lemonade when you’re dealt lemons.

Sideboard was EXCELLENT. I came expecting to beat Miracles and Delver and did just that. I was certainly conceding the Sneak/Show match but looked to trump BUG with Wilt-Leaf. It all paid off. WIlt-Leaf is a response to BUG, -1/-1 sweepers, and Miracles (4 mana is awkward for them + the anthem effect means you avoid over-extending).

2x Sylvan Library is legit. There were many times I took 4 to the dome to keep the pressure going (several of them = drawing a fetch + threat).

KotR > any fair creature. Anyone who bashes KotR (“wehh wehh run goyfs instead”) changed their tune while they watched me.

==
    Changes
    I want a second basic Plains. No idea where to make this cut lol. I don’t want to drop to 2 bayou 0 scrublands. The mana worked but there were times I wish I had 4 basics (the sweet spot). Everything else was great.

I want a 3rd QPM somewhere. Herzog running 4x is overkill but 3x is important

QPM #3 could be ZP #3 in the sideboard. However, this is going to fight PTE/Decay/Sword of X&Y #3 (continue reading below).

The weakest card all day was Sword of Light and Shadow. Seriously. On paper, it is fantastic. However, I used the other toys all day. The one time I may have equipped somebody to it, the game was already over. 3x equipment main is correct, but the 3rd one is now in contention.

Thinking out loud, Batterskull is a clunky win-more. I don’t like it. I am considering the lesser-used Body/Mind or War/Peace mainly for their respective color-protections. Both have merits (U/G for aggressive pushes and W/R for needed anti-removal). Unfortunately, War/Peace has crappy triggers. Body/Mind is actually attractive all-around pick. Maybe I’m onto something. Not sure.

*I did fool around with the NO-Maverick idea prior to the event and it’s too clunky for my tastes. 5x Sweepers > SB NO package. Thalia and Teeg > NO in the main.

I'm willing to field any additional questions. There are A LOT of quality players on these boards and I never felt I had the resume to post here. Hopefully we can get the ball rolling for Maverick players again!
    Congrats on an excellent performance, Warden! I've always thought Knight of the Reliquary strategies were way too underrepresented.

I am really upset just reading about what happened to you in G1. Hope that guys gets bitten by karma soon.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I love to see a KotR list do well. I just think he's both the Bees and the Knees. It's very hard for me to stray from that nice G1 protection against random combo decks. Having the biggest playable fair beater is a big deal too. Laugh in the face of BSKs and Goyfs all day. Feels good. I'm surprised more people don't run Bojuka Bog; but whatever works for you. I love the miser bog and it's won me a fair share of G1s against a mix of dredge, reanimator, weird decks, or even just stopping Threshold/Snapcaster targets.

I admit, I'd be worried about leaving the safe confines of Decay; but overloading GSZ and finding QPM is probably good enough for miracles if they've already established.

I too am against the DD combo wholesale, but it's nice that it's working for you. I just always see it as "win more" since you've survived two untaps with KotR a lot of the time or your opponent couldn't waste/needle/revoker/anything the combo. If you can't win with a 7/7 beating in I feel like a 20/20 shouldn't be the difference. It's hard for me to imagine scenarios outside of "whoops I won" off of lucky top-decks where another bomby singleton (Thrun, Sigarda, Hero, Oblit, who knows?) wouldn't do something similar. You got some real balls running the combo without Loam too I feel.

Either way, well done! You've top 16'd so you must be doing something right ;)

Warden congratulations on the tournament and thanks for the fantastic write-up! Question, do you feel Mirran Crusader has any place in the 75 currently?

Aug 2014
    Central New York

@sdematt: Interesting list. It lives and dies on SFM + friends on the table but you definitely bring out good ideas. Haven't thought about Tracker in a while. I like Edric but I'm not particularly sold on Rhonx.

I was actually thinking about a pure GW deck that would be the lovechild of Maverick and DnT (a real green and taxes) but never put it all together. While you have some nice inclusions, the real player I want to try is Serra Avenger. She's the best of all worlds and totally wrecks the delver matchup. Unfortunately, anything resembling a list becomes too white-centric and I don't want to resort to vial.

The DD/Stage combo was something I rarely searched for (wastelands are the priority if I am KotR digging. However, against stalled board states, it breaks parity for next to nothing. It's also like having extra cards in your hand once Knights are online because you essentially "play" said cards from the deck.

@lordofthepit: Thank you very much + I appreciate the kind words. I totally agree with the underrepresentation of Knights. She's such a threat...I don't know why so many people write her off.

@tescrin: Thanks man! Bog is always something to consider. I liked RIP as its effects just turn off graves entirely. Decks dependent upon DRS for mana and/or goyf for beats crumble if this thing hits. Took a page out of DnT for running it. As far as leaving decay, it's certainly a security blanket I enjoy. But Herzog's list got me to recognize decay isn't a staple card. You totally CAN run decay (some of my lists from earlier in the year ran confidants and decay), but idk...I really didn't need it. GSZ --> QPM takes care of a lot in the miracles matchup. Maybe a miser's Decay? Not sure. In regards to DD/Stage...again, it's something I don't actively pursue. Its inclusion is roughly equal to Cradle + fetch #8 except in the later game you have the ability to auto-win.

2 scenarios on Sunday where DD won the game:
    Late in R1, G1: I got light beatdown plan then opponent drops TNN. He could have raced me but I just whipped out the Stage via KotR tutoring (naturally had DD in play). He scoops. Sigarda may have raced here but I won in 1 turn vs introducing other threats.

R7, G1: I naturally had DD/Stage. Opponent was dropping Goyfs and Moms. I lay down a few dorks (including a mom to protect the token) and fly over everything to lethal him. I am not sure I'd win this stalemate with a Sigarda due to its mana requirement (Idr if I had 5 mana at this point).

...You got some real balls running the combo without Loam too I feel...
    They barely fit in my jeans lol. But look at it this way: if my opponent opts to wasteland the DD/Stage, they're giving me actual lands I need. I'll definitely consider a loam in the 75 as protection but it's not too often that I'm gunning for the combo. Basically, the longer the game goes, the higher the odds of releasing the Kraken. The DD plan is entirely supplemental to Maverick's real game. Functionally, the lands play similar to the likes of Cradle and Maze of Ith, which contribute little on their own and "conditionally good/bad". Additionally, the DD combo under Thalia is brutal for an opponent to deal with. A board of Mom, Thalia, KotR has the ability to straight-up end the game. That's a fantastic "fallback plan". It also messes with opponents who don't see it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by olwe View Post
    Warden congratulations on the tournament and thanks for the fantastic write-up! Question, do you feel Mirran Crusader has any place in the 75 currently?
    Any place? Yes. I nearly ran him but felt he was a poor choice for the expected meta.
    You can debate what I'm about to say, but this is how I feel about Crusader.
    -If you're expecting BUG, RUG, and Jund -- he's worth considering. Not auto-include, but worth thinking about and weighing as a solid option. These decks pack lots of green beaters. You need to defend against green.

-If you face more UR, UWR, Miracles (Sunday) or DnT -- he loses potential. Why? He's outclassed by insect-delver, STPs, and burn. Mirran is a goddamn tank on the ground. But Maverick already does well (generally speaking) defending against ground attackers. Goyf isn't scary when you have DRS, Scooze, Knight, and GSZ to find them all. Mongoose is annoying but is weak to the same things. SFM and Batterskull can be handled without Crusader (though he certainly helps here). Keeping Crusader on the table long enough to use him is the big issue. He dies to STP, Path, Burn. No bueno.

*The bigger question I ask everyone is how Serra Avenger fits into the deck. That's a card that races Delver decks, can block delver, carry equipments in any match, and actually race TNN. Given what I just faced, I'd pick Avenger as my "WWx" threat. She's definitely a WW answer for the UR, UWR, Miracles, and DnT meta. I'd prefer her to Crusader because she plugs up a hole in the gameplan. I'm not sure how to place her into the deck (what do I cut for her?).

For Sunday, I went with WLL instead because I felt that was a good enough hoser against discard (BUG, Liliana), it kept my team out of -1/-1 sweeper range (BG decks), and acted as a solid threat against Miracles by itself.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Tried your tweaks at the local, -1 SoLaS, -1 Bayou, -1 Zealous, +1 Lightning Greaves, +1 Plains,.+ 1 Qasali.

Lightning Greaves felt really good, especially with dark depths in there. Also learned I'm terrible at managing opposing KotR's. That's a lot of rust on those skills. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

For those of you (looking at you, Warden) who run the Dark Depths package, would you want to keep a Scryb Ranger in your toolbox? Being able to use Knight to make a Marit Lage in a single turn seems terrific.

The Enchanter
    Mar 2012
    Council Bluffs, IA

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    For those of you (looking at you, Warden) who run the Dark Depths package, would you want to keep a Scryb Ranger in your toolbox? Being able to use Knight to make a Marit Lage in a single turn seems terrific.
    I do. She carries equipment like a champ too.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    Tried your tweaks at the local, -1 SoLaS, -1 Bayou, -1 Zealous, +1 Lightning Greaves, +1 Plains,.+ 1 Qasali.

Lightning Greaves felt really good, especially with dark depths in there. Also learned I'm terrible at managing opposing KotR's. That's a lot of rust on those skills. :/
    Hmm, haven't thought about lightning greaves but that can work as well lol. If you are going to shave off a dual, get rid of the scrub before the bayous. I'd rather have 2x Bayou than 1:1 of black duals (green is more important than white).

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyT View Post
    I do. She carries equipment like a champ too.
    Scryb is in contention for card 61. It doesn't make the cut for 60 unless I can find something to drop (and I really like having 2x Scooze rather than 1 Scooze, 1 Scrub). HoneyT nails it about the equipment thing. Flying is really big for us.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I honestly always run 61. It lets me run the land count I want and give me a "free" threat. Instead of 22 vs. 21 lands, I can call it 21.5 lands. The percentile differences are so marginal and rare that the silver bullets are worth it. If it's a singleton and a card you never mind if you see; I say run it. If you do mind seeing it I'd second guess it (but I'd still find a 61st myself.)

Maze is that way for me. I keep it around for the sake of Marit Lage/Tombstalker/Reanimator/Dredge pretending to be reanimator or even S&T who didn't quite go off and needs another draw 7. Still, it costs me a game here and there because it forces a mulligan. Maze tends to win me more than it loses IME; and the main reason I can't leave it behind is a tutor target that says "you win" is really nice.

That tangent is just supposed to get you thinking about how Scrib will effect actual MUs. If you think the silver bullet against waste locks, the psuedo-ramp, the ability to double-tap KotR for StageDepths; etc.. will come up more than "Really.. a scrip ranger..?" I'd do it.

As an aside. I think Bog is rather mediocre as a SB card. What I meant is I always run 1 MD Bog in KotR (or Nic Fit) decks; and often in any other black splash. The single CipT land isn't so hard to deal with (like your Arbor) but it comes up surprisingly often. It also "counts as" 5 cards which is a big deal. It's very easy to find 1 in 5 compared to 1 in 1. I still run the same amount of grave hate (because the hate is often a mix of hate for other decks too, like Cage for Elves.) Again, hitting snap targets or turning off Geese is a thing.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    I honestly always run 61. It lets me run the land count I want and give me a "free" threat. Instead of 22 vs. 21 lands, I can call it 21.5 lands. The percentile differences are so marginal and rare that the silver bullets are worth it. If it's a singleton and a card you never mind if you see; I say run it. If you do mind seeing it I'd second guess it (but I'd still find a 61st myself.)

Maze is that way for me. I keep it around for the sake of Marit Lage/Tombstalker/Reanimator/Dredge pretending to be reanimator or even S&T who didn't quite go off and needs another draw 7. Still, it costs me a game here and there because it forces a mulligan. Maze tends to win me more than it loses IME; and the main reason I can't leave it behind is a tutor target that says "you win" is really nice.

That tangent is just supposed to get you thinking about how Scrib will effect actual MUs. If you think the silver bullet against waste locks, the psuedo-ramp, the ability to double-tap KotR for StageDepths; etc.. will come up more than "Really.. a scrip ranger..?" I'd do it.

As an aside. I think Bog is rather mediocre as a SB card. What I meant is I always run 1 MD Bog in KotR (or Nic Fit) decks; and often in any other black splash. The single CipT land isn't so hard to deal with (like your Arbor) but it comes up surprisingly often. It also "counts as" 5 cards which is a big deal. It's very easy to find 1 in 5 compared to 1 in 1. I still run the same amount of grave hate (because the hate is often a mix of hate for other decks too, like Cage for Elves.) Again, hitting snap targets or turning off Geese is a thing.
    I like Bojuka Bog in the sideboard only if you have to worry about Dredge in your area. Otherwise I like Rest in Peace, Surgical Extraction, or something else if you're worried about Reanimator or Lands or something. I used to run a one of Crop Rotation in the sideboard though, which was fantastic as a card against Reanimator, Show and Tell, Dredge, Lands, etc. That's a perfectly reasonable option if you're so inclined.
    I haven't found the space or need for Bog in the mainboard, but that might change someday.

I think I'll be playing some kind of Maverick variant tonight. I played Elves last Saturday, and some awkward 2 GSZ Deadguy build last week, but maybe it's time to try Mother of Runes again.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I can understand that; but I often fight a dredge player, a lands player, an aggro loam player, or a RUG/BUG Delver in a given Local; let alone an SCG. It keeps Tombstalker off the table for example and gets rid of PFires. It makes Goose a 1/1 Shroud. It resets KotRs, shrinks goyfs; limits DRS food (which can be good or bad) and beats random janky decks like Nic Fit (we have a few of those players here, including me sometimes) and Zombardment-like decks.

Tutorable disruption is a thing IMO, and the application of it never seems to disappoint on a given day; more often than not I'd wished I'd seen it when I didn't than vice-versa. Another point to make about it is that can't be ripped from your hand/deck very easily.

I will restate/point out that I'm in Junk however, which requires BB often and rarely requires W. Still, with a KotR I don't think I could pass the chance to Bog people MD.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Lightning Greaves opens hilarious lines of play. I will note that just running a third Qasali might be objectively better.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Wouldn't the best reason to play a Bant maverick list be to play multiple Vendillion Cliques?

I was looking at this recently

creatures(25)
    3 stoneforge mystics
    4 knight of the reliquary
    3 vendillion clique
    1 gaddock teeg
    1 scavenging ooze
    1 pridemage
    4 noble heirarch
    4 thalia guardian of thraben
    4 mother of runes

spells(12)
    1 jitte
    1 fire and ice
    1 feast and famine
    1 sylvan library
    4 green suns zenith
    4 swords to plowshares

lands(23)
    3 savannah
    3 tropical island
    4 windsept heath
    4 misty rainforest
    4 wasteland
    1 maze of ith
    1 karakas
    1 island
    1 forest
    1 dryad arbor

sideboard(15)
    4 meddling mage
    3 enlightened tutor
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 batterskull
    1 tormod's crypt
    3 oblivion ring
    1 ghostly prison/propaganda
    1 gaddock teeg

Meddling mage is must better blind games 2 and 3 especially when behind a mom and sworded up. Multiple cliques allow you to use them early to get info and attack for exalted damage through the air, karakas finishes up over the top for a clique lock in the mid to late game.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Wouldn't the best reason to play a Bant maverick list be to play 4 Brainstorm?
    FTFY

No, seriously, you have absolutely no reason to start Bant without Brainstorm. Playing Thalia isn't reason enough to not play Brainstorm, otherwise, you would have to cut StP by the logic, too.

And the benefits of a blue splash seem questionable.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    FTFY

No, seriously, you have absolutely no reason to start Bant without Brainstorm. Playing Thalia isn't reason enough to not play Brainstorm, otherwise, you would have to cut StP by the logic, too.

And the benefits of a blue splash seem questionable.
    FTFY????

I think I am showing a list with maverick splash blue not a list that was bant centric. My game plan is still maverick based with turn one mana acceleration being key, and GSZ being my card selection of choice.

Once you start adding brainstorms you would follow with ponders and then counter magic. At that point you are no longer playing maverick but a UGw control list.

Vendillion clique is an evasive beater that helps disrupt the opponent or filter our draws it also plays with, not against, Thalia.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    FTFY????

I think I am showing a list with maverick splash blue not a list that was bant centric. My game plan is still maverick based with turn one mana acceleration being key, and GSZ being my card selection of choice.

Once you start adding brainstorms you would follow with ponders and then counter magic. At that point you are no longer playing maverick but a UGw control list.

Vendillion clique is an evasive beater that helps disrupt the opponent or filter our draws it also plays with, not against, Thalia.
    By adding Brainstorm, you're still playing Maverick, except you're way more consistent, especially with all those shuffle effects.

Nobody was talking about countermagic or additional cantrips.

And for Clique alone is still a heavy color-investment.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    By adding Brainstorm, you're still playing Maverick, except you're way more consistent, especially with all those shuffle effects.

Nobody was talking about countermagic or additional cantrips.

And for Clique alone is still a heavy color-investment.
    Nobody was talking about brainstorm either.

What would you cut for brainstorms?

What is your blue splash maverick?

Jan 2011
    York

Glad to see someone running with the lightning greaves+knight plan I put something in the latent cards with underused potential thread but havent got to test since my computer is down. Curious to hear how it goes.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I had mentioned on mtgSalvation (and my local) that I thought Greaves could be used pretty nicely to help with Miracles (because haste + shroud is a pain due to requiring terminus or having removal ready to protect jace) and just push some damage in general.

I had no positive feedback for it so I'm glad to see some people trying it out. Another I've been meaning to try is Sword of Vengeance; but the equip is mighty high and probably a bit difficult to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    I had mentioned on mtgSalvation (and my local) that I thought Greaves could be used pretty nicely to help with Miracles (because haste + shroud is a pain due to requiring terminus or having removal ready to protect jace) and just push some damage in general.

I had no positive feedback for it so I'm glad to see some people trying it out. Another I've been meaning to try is Sword of Vengeance; but the equip is mighty high and probably a bit difficult to accomplish.
    Lightning greaves seems excellent against miracles, lightning greaves on gaddock teeg limits theirs ours to around 1 main deck council's judgement, and even after that they still have to find swords to plowshares.
    Edit they don't have to find swords because I'm retarded and forgot that shroud does nothing against council's judgement
    Sword of vengeance seems generally worse then playing a sword of x and y, the equip is one higher and the effect feels less powerful then a disentomb every turn, or shock + draw 1
    Last edited by trollking21; 08-22-2014 at 01:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I can't wait to fetch for Tropical, ponder and then kill them on my second turn.

Thread Information