Page 341 of 428 FirstFirst ... 241291331337338339340341342343344345351391 ... LastLast
Results 6,801 to 6,820 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
    You have lots of ways of dealing with Elves

between Canonist, Zealous, both Thalia's, gaddock teeg, Games two and three can be very favorable.
    Yes, after board. That's why I said it gives you time to find such cards.

G1 it still gives you a chance to get a jitte out and running.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
    You have lots of ways of dealing with Elves

between Canonist, Zealous, both Thalia's, gaddock teeg, Games two and three can be very favorable.
    Yea... Idk about that. Elves can get ya without trying hard.
    See https://youtu.be/1WPrmzphW5M?t=29m
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Quote Originally Posted by Oathbreakers View Post
    Been playing Maverick for a few years now and i have always had 2 Chokes in my board, most lists i look up to compare generally have at least one. Would like to know more about your Reasoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Qc View Post
    I'm intrigued as well...

When choke resolves it's a game changer against miracles since they cannot waste mana toping all the time.

And since we can reliably get it out turn 2 it feels very good (knowing they probably boarded out forces if they know what they are doing means it will almost always resolve).
    Choke does very little in the end against Miracles. Much like Thalia 1.0, the card gets mitigated the longer you play against them. They are the proverbial "draw, go" deck in the format and play the best long game. Much better than us. Color denial only goes so far against them since their deck is made up of lots of fetches and basics. Drop Choke turn 2 against them. They'll proceed to lay fetches and crack basics. If they absolutely need blue mana, they'll use it to drop Jace or Venser EOT. In some cases they may use their islands/blue duals to fire off a gamewinning play -- circumventing the choke-effect you're banking on. Should Choke actually bother them, they'll have some way of bouncing it/nuking it. Be wary of Council's Judgement for this reason. They have infinite searching, so hitting WW1 to remove the Choke isn't enough.
    Not only that, but recognize Miracles really lives and dies off their access to SDT + 1x Plains to ruin your day. STP and Terminus are the trump cards to our deck. If you're hellbent on hitting their mana where it hurts, go bigger with Armageddon -- as Miracles can't afford to lose its arsenal of lands.

The better SB calls against Miracles deal with Top itself (Needle, Revoker, Kgrip, Null Rod, etc) and Planeswalkers -- as they are immune to STP, Terminus, and Jace (the main way you'll lose). I'm convinced the new card Sanctum is a game-changer because it can turn off all threats Miracles throws at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    How is the Elves MU on overall with this deck?
    Besides Toxic Deluge, Zealous Persecution and/or Golgari Charm what are solid cards to play/board?
    Elves are very difficult. Teeg lost some effectiveness as the GB1 elf who makes you lose X life (X = number of elves in play) is a very strong alternate wincon.
    I board in Canonist, Containment Priest, all removal/sweepers (splash colors for Maverick shine here), and/or revokers. I remove anything that's irrelevant + Thalia 1.0.
    Thalia 2.0 is good but may actually be too slow if you're not putting her into play early and often. Toxic D is the best sweeper (kills everything and progenitus) for Elves followed by ZP. Dont' be afraid to be aggressive with ZP because all Elves.dec needs at any given moment is a dude or two on the table to threaten with NO.

I found that Choke + Thalia 2.0 is wonderful against miracles. They do have a lot of basics, but they also have tons of fetches.
    Even they cannot avoid being taxed if you wasteland their fetches aggressively.

I was able to keep an opponent on 1 land for about 5-6 turns the last time I tried it. That was just enough to beat for 3 a turn until dead.

I found that Choke + Thalia 2.0 is wonderful against miracles. They do have a lot of basics, but they also have tons of fetches.

I was able to keep an opponent on 1 land for about 5-6 turns the last time I tried it. That was just enough to beat for 3 a turn until dead.
    Choke is a temporary way to seal out the game. But you know what does it strickly better?

Tusmani. Blows up their islands and doesn't hurt our lands.

But kidding aside. I think I found a way to deal with the rising Eldarzi & Taxes in my meta.

Glissa, The Traitor and Zealous Conscripts

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Been loving Thalia 2.0. But she didn't factor into my answer about "why don't you run choke?"
    Incorporating what I mentioned above, I'd love to run Needle/Revoker + Thalia 2.0 against Miracles. Turn off top, potentially disable half their fetchlands, and make all nonbasics enter play tapped. That's savage.

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

You can also run 2 Teegs in the 75 and do the ol' good Mom Teeg lock, and add some Pithing Needles and Planeswalkers mix in the sideboard.

My list:

Lands [23]
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Dryad Arbor

Creatures [25]
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Noble Hierearch
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons

Spells [12]
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Sideboard [15]
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Garruk Relentless/Garruk the Veil-Cursed
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

My meta isn't full of Combo (except some occasional Belcher players, which is kinda hopeless), so I don't need Ethersworn Canonist nor Thoughtseizes in the sideboard. Path to Exile is really good versus Delver and Eldrazi, so that's the replacement.
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalize View Post
    You can also run 2 Teegs in the 75 and do the ol' good Mom Teeg lock, and add some Pithing Needles and Planeswalkers mix in the sideboard.

My list:

Lands [23]
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Dryad Arbor

Creatures [25]
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    2 Noble Hierearch
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger

Spells [12]
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Sideboard [15]
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Garruk Relentless/Garruk the Veil-Cursed
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

My meta isn't full of Combo (except some occasional Belcher players, which is kinda hopeless), so I don't need Ethersworn Canonist nor Thoughtseizes in the sideboard. Path to Exile is really good versus Delver and Eldrazi, so that's the replacement.
    The Mom-Teeg soft lock against Miracles already took a big hit when Council's Judgment was printed, and with the addition of Mentor to Miracles has unfortunately become even less reliable.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I agree with Seraphix, I haven't had success with Gaddock vs Miracles during the last 12-18 months I believe.

I was lucky enough to win the finals of our local legacy league in Stockholm, I'll post a list and a few comments later. Nothing spectacular in the list but still.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

List;
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    How does the Sigarda work out? Is Cradle a must here to get it out often/fast enough?
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    How does the Sigarda work out? Is Cradle a must here to get it out often/fast enough?
    Sigarda is pretty much my pet card, no real reason to use her, just a fine fatty. Gaea's Cradle should be in every Maverick list, powering up those GSZ is the name of the game.
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Sigarda is pretty much my pet card, no real reason to use her, just a fine fatty. Gaea's Cradle should be in every Maverick list, powering up those GSZ is the name of the game.
    It also fuels up fast SFM turns for 5W or 6W into equipped attacker.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

What do you think about
    kaya ghost assasin

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    It also fuels up fast SFM turns for 5W or 6W into equipped attacker.
    This. Cradle I want to see almost every game. I've honestly contemplated adding a second. It's mediocre against miracles, but being able to go stoneforge plus cast sword, plus equip sword is ridiculous. Turn 2 stoneforge after a mana dork into sandbagged cradle cast and equip nobody sees it coming and you just crush them. Also Scooze + Cradle. Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Also, regarding cradle, if you're playing Sigarda or Titania it feels almost like you're dropping a one sided Show and Tell when you go t1 mana dork, t2 knight into t3 knight activation for cradle and GSZ for your bomb. Those are all 4-ofs so it's not very unlikely.

Jun 2016
    Eugene, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Zulabnar View Post
    What do you think about
    kaya ghost assasin
    Insane against miracles, I imagine it's pretty good against decks like jund and shardless as well

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Zulabnar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Would any of the walkers have been good in the same spot? Like Elspeth Knight-errant; Garruk; or Sorin Lord of Innistrad? Not making tokens limits Kaya's ability to be useful in other matchups. Resolving the walkers is usually the challenge. Once they're live Miracles has trouble dealing regardless of which walker you use. Also, can she beat Jace?
    West side
    My Legacy stream

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=107600

Looks like Maverick with new Thalia took down the classic today. Congrats!

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Has anyone tried brewing a Vial Maverick list with Recruiter of the Guard?

Quote Originally Posted by NEELEY View Post
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=107600

Looks like Maverick with new Thalia took down the classic today. Congrats!
    That Swamp though. Savage.

I'm really interested with why no Abrupt Decays MB, maybe it was a meta call.

Thread Information