Page 44 of 428 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

If you're really worried about targeted removal (not just in the folk MU), play sylvan safekeeper as a x1, for 5 (1 + 4 GSZ) extra pseudo-mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    In France, there is also some habits to say hello to your baker when you buy some bread, with no penalty if I don't. However if I don't do it, my fame is damaged. that is the reason why I always say hello to my baker in France.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

You should try Batterskull here - its very good mostly its 2 for 1. Chokes are rather poor eveything what you need is removal. I used Wing Shards which works very well (doing 2-for-1) also I would took out Gaddock in this MU, it supress their sb -> Submerges. You can also bring Dueling Grounds which also works quite well against them.

Feb 2011
    Barcelona, Spain

i would not take away the chokes from the sideboard. It's a good threat against uw blade, canadian, team america, landstill and spiral tide...

What do you think about mortarpod against peacekeepers? I was thinking about place 1 in sideboard against blade.

I have some doubts about a card: Maze of Ith, it is really that good?

Quote Originally Posted by haku View Post
    i would not take away the chokes from the sideboard. It's a good threat against uw blade, canadian, team america, landstill and spiral tide...

What do you think about mortarpod against peacekeepers? I was thinking about place 1 in sideboard against blade.

I have some doubts about a card: Maze of Ith, it is really that good?
    Yes, it is, by itself and with Dueling Grounds in SB can be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Maëlig View Post
    If you're really worried about targeted removal (not just in the folk MU), play sylvan safekeeper as a x1, for 5 (1 + 4 GSZ) extra pseudo-mother.

This is what I would do if you want to beat the UW 4xSTP,4xPTE,4xSnapcaster deck. Seems like those decks are lowering their Wasteland count, so you can afford to sac a land or two.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

As others have said, Batterskull is really good against Merfolk, especially if you're playing the non-blue builds.

Personally, I've always just found dropping a Jitte and stabbing them with the pointy stick to be very effective.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I completely smashed Merfolk. But maybe that's because I always play SoFaI either main or side. For the rest I use additional Pridemages, Paths and a Dueling Grounds without tutor for it as sideboard 'tricks' against them. Mindcensors go out. Additional Pridemages are important for their nasty stealing spell for U which I forgot the name of. :P

I have contemplated the Mindcensors for about a week and decided I will play three of them main deck. They help bad mmatchups and get boarded out against the rest. I think I will need them too badly to not play them at the GP.

Feb 2011
    Barcelona, Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Additional Pridemages are important for their nasty stealing spell for U which I forgot the name of. :P
    Mind Harness ;)

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

SoFI, extrs PtE, Moms, Scryb Ranger, and Teeg are good against Merfolk. Specifically, Teeg against Submerge is huge. I typically get SoFI first unless I see more than one lord in play. In which case I get Batterskull or Jitte as required and depending on available mana. I keep Mindcensor in strictly as vasion beater. Oftentimes you can lock the ground with Mom and KotR and beat for 2-3 with Mindcensor or Ranger. Ranger is really a bomb here by allowing you to attack with Knight or use Mom twice a turn. Playing around Daze is also important.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

The one and only Incurable Ham
    Apr 2010
    Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by allek View Post
    Has anybody any thought on how to improve this matchup? Sideboarding suggestions?
    I play neither Batterskull nor Path to Exile and think they would have little impact in this match anyway.
    But those two do have an impact in this matchup. Just get a Jitte/SoFaI (or even a Batterskull) as soon as you can and use your removal on their biggest threats. They can't counter everything. We have SFM, equipment, Scryb Ranger, KotR, Mom, removal and other SB options that are must-counters. It's just too many threats. Also, post-board, bring in Dueling Grounds. It beats them.

On Batterskull: The problem of having protection for Mystic is simple to solve. If you have Mother/Safekeeper out, search for batterskull, if not, don't search for Batterskull. Batterskull crushes many decks, and Mother protecting t2 Mystic provides better protection than almost all other decks have access to (t4 Mystic with countertop lock?)

hello sourcers!

playing the deck since 1 year, and mindsencor MD since SotF aws DTB, i'm now really reconsidereing the card.

-mindsecnsor:

I noticed the cards is only goods against bad players that get impaled when you got 3 lands untap and he tries a intuition ,or infernal tutor, or NO.
    the creatures at begins was really crazy, by crushing some waste.
    now every one knows the card is MD, and nobody get tricksed by it.

actullay, I think the cards is only good for mirror matches, because it has so many spell to respond(GSZ, SFM, KotR,fetches) make the card good on early,middle and late game.

but you can't decently think that you will beat a entomb, intuition (hive mind is nightmare MU) or IT against a good player on a GP.

I will start the GP with 3 byes, and for sure, all my opponents will know my MD exactly at lesat 2/3 randomn slot as we can see here.

I' thinking of playing mirran crusader instead, because are goods on mirror too, and it's wonderfull creature on TA metagame.
    what do you think about the switch?

-Merfolk:
    I don't understand you'r worring about the MU, it's really good

-bad MU:
    instead I'm worring about hive mind (my only tech is surgical on the intuitionned card), choke looks really bad here, angel grace is good, but can be used only for this MU, this is too expenseive SB slot.
    strom.deck are nightmares too. Netherland player get the reputation of playing storm.deck. I 'm serioulsy thinking about playing a set a blue trap SB. because the bears turn 2 are really too slow here.

-batterskull:

the card is good for sure. but has another one tell it, it's really good only against Zoo.
    Sofaf on a TA metagame seems better, Solas for the mirror, and jitte forever.
    I thnik batterskull is better for a metagame with many big control deck(resist from pernicious deed, and directly gives you the creature too equip)

in a the GP metgame ,I don't think this is the best choice.
    My gauntlet for the GP is:

-TA(good MD, really hard post SB, need to side in revoker naming deed)
    -Tempo Thresh (always closed with fucking grim, side on revokers too, to name them)
    -réanimator , good MU
    -storm.deck, really hard
    -merfolk, good MU
    -Mirror, (revoker power)

revoker is really a good SB cards, siding on against merfolk too (vial/coralhelm)

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

Quote Originally Posted by la loutre View Post
    -mindsecnsor:

I noticed the cards is only goods against bad players that get impaled when you got 3 lands untap and he tries a intuition ,or infernal tutor, or NO.
    Seriously? This doesn’t make sense at all… unless you think the anti-tutoring effect of Aven Mindcensor works only when it comes into play. Which is pretty unbelievable if it’s true it’s one year you play this deck. Please read the card more carefully before going to Amsterdam with your 3 byes... With Aven Mindcensor in play, Entomb and Intuition are useless forever, until they’re able to remove it.

[+other brilliant stuff, like fear of Hive Mind at the GP and suggestion of Revoker...]
    OMG... Maybe this is just trolling
    Is this a desperate attempt to improve your bad matchup against Maverick?

omg!

of course I know the text of my cards ^^
    just top 8 this deck so many time,and in frencj legacy championship too.
    My english isn't very good ,that's why I don't used to post here, just don't treat me has a noob ;)

I just mean, when you give the turn without threat on board, and keep 3 mana untap, If your opponent decide to play intuition EOT that means:
    -he got the counter for the mindenscor/removal
    -he doesnt absolutly need to resolve intuition FTW
    or
    he absolutly need to resolve it FTW, and you are able to steal a game.

against infernal tutor, and so combo storm, you are not able to play the bluff, skip a turn to plauy a thraet without the mindsencor in hand. your opponent ,wich we can considering isn't a ***, won't goes to combo if he has the time without play a discard card before.
    so your turn 2 flying bear won't hit.

against fetches it's good against hight CC spell like Jace, not really in early game, because skipping turn 2 with noble+2land untap clearly means you got it.

of course it's not a CIT effect, but, if you skip turn 2 or 3 with 3 mana untap, then your opponent don(t resolve fetch during his turn. what will you do at the end of his turn??????
    give him a time walk with doing nothing?
    or play you 2/1 fly, then your opponent will be able to resolve the fetch normally?

for sur I won't give the time walk.

of course, my mistake. I'd say fetches of course :/

I'm not really saying mindsencor is bad.
    just it's not as strong as it was, when the deck was considering has a randomn deck, and when your opponent treat you as retards when he see a G/W deck without goyfs and FoW then "player lost".

I mean ,it's easy for every deck to play around it.
    the only deck who can't, it's the mirror.

and I really think these 2/3 slots could be used for better cards.

EDIT:

sory but i'm not sure that I understood this:

[+other brilliant stuff, like fear of Hive Mind at the GP and suggestion of Revoker...]

you won't considering hive mind for GP?
    and what about revoker? this is really good SB card, creature, holds TA (deed/jace) LS Ubg (jace deed, EE), mirror (near like all the deck,better against vial mav'), merfolk (vial, flying lord),and some random (welder MUD,thopter.deck,caw blade,)...... and other cool thing like LED,monolith etc.......

aren't SB cards made to be good and versatile???

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

of course it's not a CIT effect, but, if you skip turn 2 or 3 with 3 mana untap, then your opponent don(t resolve fetch during his turn. what will you do at the end of his turn??????
    give him a time walk with doing nothing?
    Ok. And since everybody know what you're going to do if you pass with 3 mana open, isn't just better to play Mindcensor in your turn, BEFORE he can play his fetchland/Intuition?

you won't considering hive mind for GP?
    No. Combo players have better choices after Misstep is out. Show and Tell will be played in Reanimator and Sneak and Tell.

and what about revoker? this is really good SB card.......aren't SB cards made to be good and versatile???
    Yes, in fact you can do the same thing with Pithing Needle, which is much harder to remove (for example, you mentioned your will to use Revoker against Lavamancers... As if such decks aren't full of burn to fry your Revoker immediately. Revoker is better than Needle against ANT/TES and nothing else).

Quote Originally Posted by Morte View Post
    Yes, in fact you can do the same thing with Pithing Needle, which is much harder to remove (for example, you mentioned your will to use Revoker against Lavamancers... As if such decks aren't full of burn to fry your Revoker immediately. Revoker is better than Needle against ANT/TES and nothing else).
    I was thinking the same thing. I use pithing needle instead of revokers because opponents often more creature removal after sideboarding. With the needle you just make sure that your silver bullet will stick in play.
    There is no knowledge that it not power.

Guys,

how do you feel about Andrea Giarola´s deck from the Ovino_Sex tournament held in Italy with 390 players? i am finalizing my list in for GP Amsterdam and out of curiosity I have been testing this list to decide if this would work for me. Here is the list for reference.

3 Aven Mindcensor
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Noble Hierarch
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Scryb Ranger
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    4 Swords To Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Sword of Feast And Famine
    1 Sword of Fire And Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    2 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Plains
    4 Savannah
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Elspeth, Knight-errant
    sideboard
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Faerie Macabre
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Krosan Grip

I understand why he doesnt play enlightened tutor. with the 2 sylvan libraries he can dig really deep fast and find answers to threats whilst having enough odds to draw into them in the opening 7. I cant decide if I want to play mirran crusader in the deck or not. Plz help!!

thanks,

Slaydo

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Agree on above post Mindceonsor is so hard to play around as Vendilion Clique, It can't be played around since all things like Infernal Tutor/Merchant Scroll/GSZ are sorcery, only thing which can be played around are fetches, which aren't main target of censors.

Revokers are really bad IMO since all players will board in creatures removal.. so Pithing Needle will be always better, also Pithing cards in mirror are double axe since you can't also search/use those utilities (Censors are asimetrical so much better here).

FATAL:

I wasn't comparing needle or revoker to mindsencor.

but needle to revoker.

needle is harder to remove , right.
    but in wich MU will you SB needle?, I see only Jace/deed.deck. not sure that will be a serious threat at GP
    in mirror i definitely dont like needle, where revoker can be equiped, and is colorless (mother)
    I think needle is better only against heavy control (jace/deed/EE) considering only tier 1/2 decks

I will definitely not board it against merfolk/tempo-grim, where a creature would be better (still because of the equipement argument, then mother can protect him,or simply gives a turn of chump blok)
    And as you said it, it's good againt combo to name LED.

MORTE:

yes,I agree with
    Ok. And since everybody know what you're going to do if you pass with 3 mana open, isn't just better to play Mindcensor in your turn, BEFORE he can play his fetchland/Intuition?

EVERYBODY:

what are your techs against combo?
    enlighted+canonist is correct, but so slow.
    worldly+gaddok/mother is near the same
    LL of sanctity is not that much good (turn O on mulligan,will be owned by bounces)

I tried really many different thing on testing the matchup with no limit of side slot.
    whatever I do, it's not better than 60/40 on the play for mav, and 40/60 on the draw post SB
    the MU really looks like impossible, unless stole the game with bad mulligan or many brew with cantrip fr your opponent.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

To me, Mindcensor is one of those cards where yes, there's of course something better, but the times you need it (against combo), it's just part of the overall package to try and slow them down long enough for you to kill them.

I think the GW lists can afford to cut it the least since they need every tool possible to deal with combo.

Tutor + Hate bear isn't that slow - you can T2 it if you just open with Tutor + 2 lands.

I've been liking Leyline of Sanctity in theory if you really have to hate on combo. It's purpose isn't to completely shut them out, but again like any other hate piece in your deck, it's to buy you time to get another hate piece out / kill them. I also may be too enamored of it after I learned that it completely shuts off Intuition...

Thread Information