Page 72 of 428 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

As far as a kneejerk reaction goes, I'm just going to up my maindeck Qasali Pridemage, and remove 1-2 GSZ targets. It will definitely make life more difficult, but I think we should be able to deal with it, especially if we do 4x Pridemage in the main, and maybe 3 artifact hate cards in the side.

If anything, I wonder if a card like this will make BANT aggro stronger. Trygon Predator seems like a big game :D

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by mini1337s View Post
    As far as a kneejerk reaction goes, I'm just going to up my maindeck Qasali Pridemage, and remove 1-2 GSZ targets. It will definitely make life more difficult, but I think we should be able to deal with it, especially if we do 4x Pridemage in the main, and maybe 3 artifact hate cards in the side.

If anything, I wonder if a card like this will make BANT aggro stronger. Trygon Predator seems like a big game :D
    Why would you even worry about this card in maverick. You run 24+ creatures. If they opponent wants to waste 4 card slots for this card plus whatever creature removal they have, let them.

If i know my opponent will be doing that against me, i'd be ecstatic. Sure they may nullify my 3-4 green sun zenith.

I want to play a Gaddock Teeg turn 2 against this and be like "O_o' ok?"

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar of Shadow View Post
    Why would you even worry about this card in maverick. You run 24+ creatures. If they opponent wants to waste 4 card slots for this card plus whatever creature removal they have, let them.

If i know my opponent will be doing that against me, i'd be ecstatic. Sure they may nullify my 3-4 green sun zenith.
    This. Personally, I will be packing at least one in my own sideboard. The benefit it provides this deck far outweighs the harm it does to our GSZ plan. Plus, what decks will play it that we are afraid of that it won't just hurt even more?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by MiniLuv View Post
    I want to play a Gaddock Teeg turn 2 against this and be like "O_o' ok?"
    Why would you NOT be able to play gaddock teeg on turn 2? And what deck who you need to use gaddock teeg against will use this card against you?

Why would you NOT be able to play gaddock teeg on turn 2? And what deck who you need to use gaddock teeg against will use this card against you?
    You obviously misunderstood me

Quote Originally Posted by Zand View Post
    How well do you guys think this deck can function in a meta involving that card? Do we need to start sideboarding more artifact hate? Is it even worth siding in against us compared to other decks?

I personally am not that hopeful...

Edit: to be clear I'm talking about Grafdigger's Cage
    what do you think of:
    -4 GSZ
    +4 mentor of the meek
    -2 sylvan library
    +2 lanowar/birds/etc?

Bizarros Team Member
    Apr 2007
    Brazil - Sao Paulo

Quote Originally Posted by maktus View Post
    what do you think of:
    -4 GSZ
    +4 mentor of the meek
    -2 sylvan library
    +2 lanowar/birds/etc?
    It looks terrible.

Sure, the Cage is an annoying card to deal with, but it doesnt shut off our deck completely, far from it. We can still cast our dudes naturally, use Kotr and Stoneforge fetching abilities, etc. We're already using Qasali and Krosan Grip to deal with troublesome artifacts as well.
    # The Bizarro Super Powers Team - Casting Abyssal Persecutors FTW !

Quote Originally Posted by maurobad2k4 View Post

Sure, the Cage is an annoying card to deal with, but it doesnt shut off our deck completely, far from it. We can still cast our dudes naturally, use Kotr and Stoneforge fetching abilities, etc. We're already using Qasali and Krosan Grip to deal with troublesome artifacts as well.
    I agree. This cards hurts reanimator and snapcaster mages way more than it does hurt maverick.
    There is no knowledge that it not power.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I could also consider running KGrip again in the sideboard. Being able to hit problematic permanents without relying on GSZ has a benefit at times. (Such as Cursed Totem, Humility, or the Cage)
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    I could also consider running KGrip again in the sideboard. Being able to hit problematic permanents without relying on GSZ has a benefit at times. (Such as Cursed Totem, Humility, or the Cage)
    I'm still leaving 2 krosan grip in my sideboard as well as the usual e-tutor package
    There is no knowledge that it not power.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

In light of Cage, is Fauna Shaman something worth considering again? I realize Fauna can become a slippery slope, changing the form of the deck considerably. If you're adding Fauna, you might as well add Loyal Retainers, and then you might as well add Elesh and Iona, and heck, why not throw in a playset of Vengevines as well (although Vengevine doesn't work with Cage)...

It will be interesting to see if Cage is played main. It will depend on the Meta, but I'm thinking at first, it won't be, as it is a dead draw against decks without GSZ/Snapcaster. It wouldn't surprise me if the current (balanced) meta polarized to two extremes, with non-PiF Storm taking one extreme and Countertop taking another. If this happens, Zoo, Merfolk and Goblins will all be able to come out and play again.

I'm thinking of a transformational sideboard. Adding two Qasali Pridemage and 2 KGrips game 2 against decks that would run Cage. However, if Countertop comes back, they could run 1 Cage G1 with Enlightened Tutors main deck.

Could someone give me examples of cards that are cast from the library?

Cast from the graveyard stops flashback,
    creatures entering the battlefield from the graveyard stop unearth, animate dead, exhume, reanimate and creatures with unearth (bye, bye Hellspark Elemental)
    and creatures entering from the library stops GSZ and Natural Order.

It's interesting how much this one card will impact the meta. Dredge is dead (I assume this stops Nacromeba, Ichorid, Dread Return, etc.), Reanimator, too. Snapcaster bye, bye, GSZ and Natural Order are no more. It looks like Canadian Thresh (snapcasterless RUG Tempo), PiF-less Storm, Team America, Tribal (Elves, Goblins, Merfolk), Zoo, Burn, heck, I might give Charbelcher a try ;) and snap-casterless UW are the only decks that remain. I think a UWB control deck will be very strong, especially with Sorin, Lord of Innistrad (think SFM, SDT, Dark Confidant, Counterbalance, Sorin, Jace, FOW, Thoughtseize, STP - Sorin gives enough of a reason to splash black in UW and you have the free slots since Snapcaster will suck). It seems like Cage rips the heart out of a balanced meta, a meta which most players are happy with, sans the ever-present Brainstorm argument, and allows decks at both extremes to become dominant again, allowing 2nd-tier strategies to fill the gaps.

I think I'm playing Ascension with Chalice of Life/Death.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

If you're changing your deck because of this card you're a terrible player. It shuts off 3-4 cards in the deck, not the decks strategy.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    I can not think of anything used in Legacy but Garruk's Horde lets you play the top card of your library.

It's interesting how much this one card will impact the meta. Dredge is dead (I assume this stops Nacromeba, Ichorid, Dread Return, etc.), Reanimator, too. Snapcaster bye, bye, GSZ and Natural Order are no more. It looks like Canadian [/QUOTE]I really do not see this killing Dredge. They can still dredge and get Bridge Tokens. They have lots of cheap creatures they can cast like golgari thug all they need is to run more Darkblasts & Firestorms for killing them off.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

In light of Cage, is Fauna Shaman something worth considering again? I realize Fauna can become a slippery slope, changing the form of the deck considerably. If you're adding Fauna, you might as well add Loyal Retainers, and then you might as well add Elesh and Iona, and heck, why not throw in a playset of Vengevines as well (although Vengevine doesn't work with Cage)...

It will be interesting to see if Cage is played main. It will depend on the Meta, but I'm thinking at first, it won't be, as it is a dead draw against decks without GSZ/Snapcaster. It wouldn't surprise me if the current (balanced) meta polarized to two extremes, with non-PiF Storm taking one extreme and Countertop taking another. If this happens, Zoo, Merfolk and Goblins will all be able to come out and play again.

I'm thinking of a transformational sideboard. Adding two Qasali Pridemage and 2 KGrips game 2 against decks that would run Cage. However, if Countertop comes back, they could run 1 Cage G1 with Enlightened Tutors main deck.

Cast from the graveyard stops flashback,
    creatures entering the battlefield from the graveyard stop unearth, animate dead, exhume, reanimate and creatures with unearth (bye, bye Hellspark Elemental)
    and creatures entering from the library stops GSZ and Natural Order.

It's interesting how much this one card will impact the meta. Dredge is dead (I assume this stops Nacromeba, Ichorid, Dread Return, etc.), Reanimator, too. Snapcaster bye, bye, GSZ and Natural Order are no more. It looks like Canadian Thresh (snapcasterless RUG Tempo), PiF-less Storm, Team America, Tribal (Elves, Goblins, Merfolk), Zoo, Burn, heck, I might give Charbelcher a try ;) and snap-casterless UW are the only decks that remain. I think a UWB control deck will be very strong, especially with Sorin, Lord of Innistrad (think SFM, SDT, Dark Confidant, Counterbalance, Sorin, Jace, FOW, Thoughtseize, STP - Sorin gives enough of a reason to splash black in UW and you have the free slots since Snapcaster will suck). It seems like Cage rips the heart out of a balanced meta, a meta which most players are happy with, sans the ever-present Brainstorm argument, and allows decks at both extremes to become dominant again, allowing 2nd-tier strategies to fill the gaps.

I think I'm playing Ascension with Chalice of Life/Death.
    Can you explain to me why reanimator, mav, and snapcaster decks are dead? Maybe dredge too?

I dont see it?

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by zulander View Post
    If you're changing your deck because of this card you're a terrible player. It shuts off 3-4 cards in the deck, not the decks strategy.
    The deck's strategy is GSZ. The rise of Maverick came with the printing of GSZ. What makes the deck powerful is the ability to pull many silver bullets out of the deck. Pre-GSZ, there was a version of the deck that ran Aether Vial (a revitalization of this deck is discussed a few pages back), but I don't think it would cut it in the current meta.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    I can not think of anything used in Legacy but Garruk's Horde lets you play the top card of your library.

It's interesting how much this one card will impact the meta. Dredge is dead (I assume this stops Nacromeba, Ichorid, Dread Return, etc.), Reanimator, too. Snapcaster bye, bye, GSZ and Natural Order are no more. It looks like Canadian I really do not see this killing Dredge. They can still dredge and get Bridge Tokens. They have lots of cheap creatures they can cast like golgari thug all they need is to run more Darkblasts & Firestorms for killing them off.
    Okay, thanks. That's what I was thinking, too. There are some blue cards that allow you to do this as well (play with the top card of your library revealed and you may cast it as if it was in your hand... not sure if this final part of the language negates Cage, but it's the same mechanic as Garruk's Horde).

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

The deck's strategy is GSZ. The rise of Maverick came with the printing of GSZ. What makes the deck powerful is the ability to pull many silver bullets out of the deck. Pre-GSZ, there was a version of the deck that ran Aether Vial (a revitalization of this deck is discussed a few pages back), but I don't think it would cut it in the current meta.
    So you are saying this one card will destroy my entire strategy with gsz, a 4 of in my deck? just because I cannot search for my ooze?

I welcome the opponent who boards 4 of these against me.

Now please explain to me how reanimator is dead

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I'm not too afraid of Cage for Maverick. It's just like having a Teeg out, only shutting off our GSZs.

I think it's pretty decent against Dredge and Reanimator as its a hoser that they can't Pithing Needle.

Probably pretty bad against SCM decks for the same reason it's bad against us. You shut off 4 of their cards costing you one of your own but they still have a 2/1.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Can you explain to me why reanimator, mav, and snapcaster decks are dead? Maybe dredge too?

I dont see it?
    Reanimator because all of your reanimation spells are dead - creatures cannot come into play from the graveyard, so Exhume, Reanimate and Animate Dead don't work. You're only avenue is Show and Tell and then you're no longer playing a Reanimator deck.

Mav needs GSZ to pull out silver bullets and fatties.

Snapcaster decks aren't dead, they'll just replace Snapcaster and alter the build. UW will pick up Black or Counterbalance and Thresh will pick up Nimble Mongoose.

Dredge is dead because their major method of making zombie tokens is Narcomoeba and Ichorid. From what I understand about the rules, neither of these cards will work. Additionally Dread Return is a major token builder/fattie reanimator in Dredge, and this will no longer work as well. Also, Cabal Therapy is dead, another major avenue to fight combo/control and make zombie tokens.

Thread Information