Page 134 of 428 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184234 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Jun 2011
    Russia, SPb

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

As I was thinking with myself, I came to the following conclusions:
    - playing multiple Karakas doesn't actually help - it does not prevent Grisel to draw and they answer with Blood Moon on it
    - Mother of Runes is a key to beating them, as it protects our Revoker, Peacekeeper and Thalia against their bounce and Pyroclasm/Firespout
    - Qasali is very important, as it destroys Blood Moon and Sneak Attack
    - Stoneforge Mystic can find Sword of FireIce to protect our hate creatures against bounce/burn
    - Obviously they'll have to side out their counter magic to fit in Firespouts, bounce and Blood Moons. In this case the key in the second game will be to protect our hate, not to cast it. Also splashing red for blasts will be OK, if we don't show red sources in the first game
    I consider playing peacekeeper+revoker+eladamri's call as well as multiple ensnaring bridges and pithing needle in sb, as well as a peacekeeper in the mdeck next to fauna shaman
    The question for me is whether I should side out StP or not. It does not help with Emrakul and drawing from Grisel, but once I shut them down with bridge or revoker there still remains a 7/7 lifelink blocker with flying
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted...

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

I think it's right to leave some number of STP in. The question comes what to cut, and you can probably part with the equipment package, or at least the SFMs. Also, any Planeswalkers or Thruns you run can find their way into the sideboard. I think 3 STP is ideal vs. Sneak and Show. While they can -7/+7 to find an answer, the loss of 7 life can hurt and then they have to pay another life for FOW. 8 life can add up, especially combined with some fetchland activations, Ancient Tomb, and early beats.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

What about Captain Sisay?
    It can also fetch Karakas, but also Thalia, Thrun and Jitte.
    Maybe you can add some more Legendary Cards to get more value, like Kor Haven or Flagstones of Trokair
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    What about Captain Sisay?
    It can also fetch Karakas, but also Thalia, Thrun and Jitte.
    Maybe you can add some more Legendary Cards to get more value, like Kor Haven or Flagstones of Trokair
    Sounds horrible and fun. Maybe Sigarda is a nice target, as well. Have you tested it?
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

Mar 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

I'd rather play Fauna Shaman which is actually good and has real applications than something terribad like Sisay. The only version of Maverick she'd be good in is the loyal retainers build, but then Fauna shaman is still better I think.

May 2012
    Beantown, USA

To tweak G/W Maverick solely for better RUG/SnT matchups... well...

With all credit due to those who made the suggestions... I think for these two decks, my choices have a touch of synergy and aren't totally useless in other matchups.

+Linvala +Fauna Shaman

-4 Mother of Runes, +4 Sylvan Safekeeper.

Run 1x Tilling Treefolk if you want to find the room. Life from the Loam can't chump block a 'Goyf. Wastelock is win-more here I think.

-1 Sylvan Library, -1 Sword of Light and Shadow, +2 Parallax Wave.

Not completely useless vs. RUG. Hard if Thalia sticks, but PWave > Ancient Grudge. I've tested this a fair amount, and it's bonkers vs. Sneak Show. They will usually Draw 14 in response. I will usually beat face FTW with hatebear. Way more versatile than Ensaring Bridge. Also: Legend Rule Lulz tends to keep the board open. Can be played around, still the best answer.

-2 SB slots of your Choice, +2 Peacekeeper

The Concession. Can you reliably stick two Revokers?
    2x Echoing Truth + 1x Shattering Spree > 2x Echoing Truth.
    Emrakul > Revoker.
    RUG > Revoker.
    Rule of Law > Peacekeeper > things like Elfball > Revoker.
    Revokers > tons of other stuff.
    Peacekeeper works a lot better with Mother of Runes for alpha-strike, oh well.
    It's a call I can't really make.
    Keep Canonist.

-Teeg, -Mindcensor, +2 Vexing Shusher

Let's face it, running GSZ into countermagic vs. Blue Deck is fine. Running GSZ into countermagic vs. RUG sucks. Snappy sucks. Makes proactive hate cards vs. Sneak Show relevant. Eats burn otherwise directed at dome. No slower than a Fauna Shaman.

-3 Choke, +3 Carpet of Flowers

Severe beatings for any blue combo deck that stalls out, I've had some hilarious wins vs. storm w/o Thalia even out. The extra mana even against Sneak Show you'll find highly relevant for clocking.
    RUG punishes nobody besides Maverick with 8x white weenies for overextending.

Sure, it's a nonbo with Wasteland. But combined with Wasteland, gives 7x cards to manage the mana/tempo situation in the two matchups we're considering, two very fast decks.

Also, either Gaea's Cradle or Dryad Arbor (ouch) gets cut for +1 Basic Plains? Arbor eats bolts like a champ. And honestly, Maze of Ith should be coming in, regardless of Wasteland. One more out to Griselbrand beats and 'Goyf. I don't know. This is probably where Qasali goes to 2x.

Keep that Oblivion Ring in the SB, too.

It's a stretch, and significantly hurts the matchups against many other Tier decks over the stock list.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Is this safe to say in regards to Sylvan Safekeeper?

Safekeeper Upsides:
    • Protects when Mom has summoning sickness
    • Protects when your opponent has multiple instances of spot removal
    • Increases the power and toughness of KotR (not as relevant unless KotR is summoning sick).

Safekeeper Downsides:
    • Can’t give Protection from X color to push through lethal damage or remove a planeswalker
    • Restricts/depletes your manabase. Seems like it may have limited uses unless you run Life from the Loam
    • Can’t solo block creatures without dying.

I think I’m comfortable running a single Sylvan Safekeeper in the main, or potentially in the side. It seems like Life from the Loam becomes a necessary addition to the deck if Safekeeper is added (especially in multiples), particularly in the mainboard, but that might be incorrect.
    The biggest issue for me is space; in order to run Sylvan Safekeeper, the only relevant flex spaces are Mother of Runes (don’t like trimming them down to 3 and reducing my chances of seeing them) or Scryb Ranger (very powerful solo slot already). I run 4x Qasili Pridemage in the main, so I might be able to trim that down to 3x.

My proposed list:
    MAINDECK
    4x Noble Hierarch
    4x Mother of Runes
    4x Knight of the Reliquary
    3x Qasali Pridemage
    3x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2x Scavenging Ooze
    2x Fauna Shaman
    1x Sylvan Safekeeper
    1x Scryb Ranger
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Linvala, Keeper of Silence

4x Green Sun’s Zenith
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Umezawa’s Jitte
    1x Sylvan Library

4x Savannah
    4x Wasteland
    4x Windswept Heath
    3x Forest
    2x Misty Rainforest
    1x Plains
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Gaea’s Cradle
    1x Horizon Canopy
    1x Karakas
    1x Maze of Ith

SIDEBOARD:
    3x Mindbreak Trap
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    2x Surgical Extraction
    2x Tormod’s Crypt
    2x Parallax Wave OR Peacekeeper (Wave seems like a better catch all)
    2x Oblivion Ring
    1x Bojuka Bog OR a 2nd Karakas? (Bojuka Bog has served me well)
    1x Harmonic Sliver (too many people dropping Pithing Needle on Pridemage)

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

You made the right decision by cutting Pridemage to add Safekeeper.

If you are running Fauna Shaman main, Peacekeeeper is better in the side, as you have more ways of finding it. Plus, it gets online a turn quicker. Plus, it can be protected with your Moms and Safekeeper.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

I tested Sisay and she is not bad, I would def play her for CC3. 4 is to much. But she is an additional way to find karakas if the opponent shows and tell.

What do you guys think of

Seems pretty decent.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    You made the right decision by cutting Pridemage to add Safekeeper.

If you are running Fauna Shaman main, Peacekeeeper is better in the side, as you have more ways of finding it. Plus, it gets online a turn quicker. Plus, it can be protected with your Moms and Safekeeper.
    Yeah, I think you are spot on about Peacekeeper. I've tested a few hours, admittedly on the ol' Cockatrice, but after playing Sneak and Show a few times, Oblivion Ring was doing what I want Wave to do, but Wave is far too difficult to cast fast enough without leaving my defenses down. Show and Tell seems to be a one-for-one situation, so I was just as happy to slap down an O-Ring, regardless being unable to counteract Pay 7, Draw 7.

What cards do people typically side-out for Sneak and Show? It seems most lists are set on just rushing out their combo as soon as possible, not bothering to remove our threats outside of using counter-magic. In testing, I found myself siding out Mother of Runes, Scryb Ranger, and Scavenging Ooze, leaving Sylvan Safekeeper in the event my opponent did use spot removal.

OUT:
    4x Mother of Runes
    1x Scryb Ranger
    2x Scavenging Ooze

IN:
    2x Oblivion Ring
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Harmonic Sliver
    2x Parallax Wave (soon to be Peacekeeper)

Does anyone with more experience in this matchup have any suggestions?

May 2010
    Toronto, Canada

Went to a local tournament for a Mox Pearl. Thought there wasn't going to be a lot of people going so I went with an experimental sideboard build. There ended up being 39 players which was crazy considering it was the first legacy tournament for the store. Here's the list:

4 Windswept Heath
    4 Savannah
    4 Wasteland
    3 Forest
    2 Wooded Foothills
    1 Plains
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Kor Haven
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Fauna Shaman
    1 Terravore
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sylvan Library

4 Path to Exile
    3 Elvish Spirit Guide
    2 Choke
    2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Ethersworn Canonist

First of all, I prefer the Kor Haven over Maze since it produces mana. Plus it leaves the attacker untapped so if they do attack, you can attack back next turn. Fauna shaman is just amazing if it ever gets active since you can just get any hate bear or beater on demand. On the sideboard, I wanted to try the spirit guides because a lot of time when you play against combo and they're on the play, they can just kill you before you get your turn two so I wanted to try to land a thorn or Thalia on turn 1. I probably should have done 3 Path and 4 Spirit Guides.

The tournament turned out pretty miserable as I went 2-4 playing against 5 different combo decks. This will be a quick and dirty report as there's really no point in recapping how I lost on turn 1 or 2.

Round 1 - Welder MUD

Game 1: He played turn 1 welder and I didn't have a plow. Next turn he played faithless looting, discarding sundering titan and wurmcoil, played a lotus petal and welded in the titan. Over the next two turns, my lands got nuked and lots of wurm tokens were made. Fun!

Boarded a bunch of Paths and took out Thalias as he's going to be casting creatures.

Game 2: I had 2 plows and 1 path in my opening hand but he played a turn 3 chalice for 1. Then he was able to get a Forgemaster before I could pridemage away the chalice and again, he was able to tinker repeatedly for titans and wurmcoils and I couldn't kill the forgemaster equipped with greaves.

0-1

Round 2 - Dredge

Game 1: I have no idea what he's playing and he just goes turn 1 Gemstone, go so i'm thinking ugh, dredge or TES. I had 2 Zeniths in my hand and drew a third one so I decided to get a dryad arbor and passed. Next turn, he plays a therapy naming ooze so I know for sure he's dredge now. He whiffs on the ooze and next turn I get an ooze with another zenith. He dredges next turn but gets some awful dredges and I get to untap with the ooze. Next turn, I decide to play and equip ooze with Jitte which was a misplay as I'm giving him another turn where he can dredge into something nasty but again, he dredges nothing worth while and then I end up with an ooze with 5 green sources open plus jitte counters.

Boarded in paths and explosives and took out all the high casting and useless creatures.

Game 2: He does nothing for two turns other than make two land drops. I figure he has something like firestorm so I have to force him to use it as i have an ooze, fauna shaman and zenith in my opening hand. I cast the ooze and he firestorms discarding two dredgers. Again, he dredges and gets absolutely nothing and the rest of the game
    wasn't very exciting as I end up landing an ooze again with a jitte equipped and I was able to remove all of his narcomebas with the trigger on the stack.

1-1

Round 3 - Sneak/Show

Game 1: Didn't get a Thalia, he was able to show and tell Gristlebrand into play. I tried to plow it in response to him drawing 7 but he was able to misdirect it to another creature of mine and that was it. He had way too much card advantage as he started discarding sneak attacks so I figured he has all blue cards in hand.

Boarded in the spirit guides, thorns and chokes and took out stuff like jittes, ooze, thrun, etc..

Game 2: I believe we both mulled to 6. I manage to land a turn 2 Thalia and wasted a volcanic and apparently that was it as he just kept drawing Emrakuls and Gristlebrands with no lands or sneak/show.

Game 3: I mulled to 6 and have awkward mana with 1 fetchland, cradle and wasteland. It does have mom and teeg so I thought I was ok so I fetched a plains to play a mom and then he ended up playing a turn two blood moon and that was pretty much the game as I kept on drawing non basics and couldn't play any of my creatures which was frustrating.

1-2

Round 4 - Belcher

Game 1: I knew what he was playing so I mulled to 5 to try to get a turn 2 thalia but he was on the play and had the turn 1 kill. Hooray, spent more time mulling than actual playing.

Boarded in spirit guides, thorns, explosives, canonist and took out all the irrevelant creatures and removal spells.

Game 2: we both mulled to 5 and I had to keep a hand with an explosives, thorn and three lands. I drop the turn 1 explosives on zero and he was able to turn 1 activate belcher. Before he flipped I joked with him that he's going to flip his taiga on the 10th card. He started flipping and that's exactly what happened. So I took 18, then fetched go to down to 1 and proceed to never draw another colored source so I couldn't play pridemage but I was able to get a fauna shaman down so I could tutor up a thalia so I had a thalia and a thorn in play. I ended up winning as he couldn't draw into a spirit guide to cast his LED.

Game 3: I mulled to 6 and he mulled to 5. I mulled into a 5 land, thalia hand and didn't want to risk another hand with no hate bears. He didn't do anything and I was able to play a thalia on turn two. Unfortunately, i drew around 10 lands this game and this allowed him to play his moxes using spirit guides and he was able to play two
    tinder walls, pitch spirit guide, hardcast charbelcher and activate it with LED that he played on turn 1. I had so many outs that game it wasn't funny but that's what happens when all you can draw is land.

1-3

Round 5 - High Tide

Game 1: I draw no hate. He mills me on turn 3. wohoo.

Boarded in chokes, guides, thorns, canonists.

Game 2: I mull to 6, only see thalia and a couple of lands and some other useless stuff. Didn't really want to mull more. He's able to counter my Thalia on turn 2 and then two turns he forces me to draw my entire deck.

After our match, he's like do you play teeg? Zenith? Any hate cards? Yeah, that's how awful my draw was. I tell him my board and i guess he's relieved that he didn't see any of it.

1-4

Round 6 - Elves

Game 1: I never saw him cast glimpse and I just kept on plowing his archdruids and played a thalia just to slow him down just in case. I ended up fauna shaman into Linvala and got it equipped to a jitte and that was it.

Boarded in explosives and some paths.

Game 2: Again, no glimpse this game, he just played a bunch of archdruids again and I wasn't able to remove them but I was able to fauna shaman for a linvala before the archdruids lost summoning sickness and he tried to attack me to win. I was able to grow a knight bigger than his elves and was able to make the right blocks with a knight, linvala, thalia, and fauna shaman.

2-4

Was pretty displeased with the spirit guides all day. I never got any in opening hand that actually mattered. Like I would get 2 with no hate cards or I would have hate cards but no spirit guides. They're definately coming out. Maybe I just felt like I got too unlucky but if the format's going to be like this i don't think maverick's the right choice unless you get lucky on your matchups. Perhaps it would be best to max out on thorns and Thalias in order to fight combo properly. Also, I wish I had a couple of Cavern of Souls in the main deck so my Thalias wouldn't be countered against the combo decks. It was a frustrating day to say the least.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

I think Lotus Petal > ESG, but I think Mindbreak Trap is greater than both of those. Mindbreak Trap is probably where you want to be if you are concerned about the combo match up (or play a deck with counterspells ;) ).

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by mini1337s View Post
    OUT:
    4x Mother of Runes
    1x Scryb Ranger
    2x Scavenging Ooze

IN:
    2x Oblivion Ring
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Harmonic Sliver
    2x Parallax Wave (soon to be Peacekeeper)

Does anyone with more experience in this matchup have any suggestions?
    I would go:

IN:
    2x Peacekeeper
    2x Oblivion Ring

OUT:
    2x Umezawa's Jitte
    2x Scavenging Ooze

I think you need the Mother of Runes to protect your Peacekeepers and Thalias. Sneak and Show runs Echoing Truth/Submerge/Wipeaway.

If you are facing Wipeaway, a little trick is to give your creature prop blue on your 2nd main, so they must target in response and you'll have a chance to replay. Obviously, this is a situational play and is probably better against TES/ANT.

Since you are running 1 Sylvan Safekeeper and 4 Mothers, it may be proper to cut a Mom. This is definitely a match up where you need to start a clock and leaving a Mother untapped every turn isn't helping.

Surgical extraction is questionable. It could strip a win condition and can also give you valuable information, but it is also does nothing to help against an unfavorable board state. I'm not completely opposed to running it, if I did add 2 SE's, I would probably cut 1 Mom and 1 QP.

Additionally, I'm not sold on bringing in Harmonic Sliver or even running all 3 QPs. While I understand the temptation to blow up a Sneak Attack, this is also a very reactive play. If the Sneak Attack is played with R open, you most likely are facing Annihilator 6 or draw 14. After either of these events happen, it probably doesn't matter if you destroy Sneak Attack. 2 QP's is enough, since you can tutor for them (honestly, 1 is most likely enough unless you are concerned about Blood Moon).

Phyrexian Revoker is probably a better answer to Sneak Attack than QP. Other than the fact you can't find Revoker with GSZ, it serves to shut down all SA's and can name Griselbrand.

I like Scryb Ranger for its mana tricks. And, as from Cairo points out below, and even better reason is to fog a Griselbrand attack.
    Last edited by Water_Wizard; 06-12-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I think Lotus Petal > ESG, but I think Mindbreak Trap is greater than both of those. Mindbreak Trap is probably where you want to be if you are concerned about the combo match up (or play a deck with counterspells ;) ).
    Lotus petal has disynergy with Thalia. ESG doesn't; and provides another body for Fauna Shaman. In which situation would Lotus Petal be better than ESG (aside from providing from time to time)?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Mar 2007
    RI

Surgical extraction is questionable. It could strip a win condition and can also give you valuable information, but it is also does nothing to help against an unfavorable board.
    /signed

We have no discard or permission. Sneak & Show tends to board out Intuition in the match up, so often the only way win cons are hitting the yard is after they've done their damage - ie. Show and Tell resolving or a Legend hitting the yard end step after bein' snuck.

Boarding out Ooze and Jitte seems on point, the game is usually decided before either gets out of hand. I'd drop a Plow before QPM or Mother of Runes. QPM even just in Watchwolf mode is some pressure, the ability to nuke Moons and Sneak Attack can be useful. Mother's ok protecting Thalia and Teeg, she can sometimes do work with Scryb Ranger Fogging Griselbrand and w/o the lifelink trigger can occasionally keep the Sneak & Show player from Necroing into more gas.
    Last edited by from Cairo; 06-12-2012 at 03:58 AM.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Lotus petal has disynergy with Thalia. ESG doesn't; and provides another body for Fauna Shaman. In which situation would Lotus Petal be better than ESG (aside from providing from time to time)?
    Exactly because they produce W. Because the stated reason for running mana acceleration was to play a Turn 1 Thalia, Lotus Petal allows us to keep a wider variety of starters than ESG. You can keep a hand with either of the 3 Forests or 4 Wastelands plus a Lotus Petal, where the same hand with ESG is a mulligan.

Because Lotus Petal is for early acceleration, once Thalia is in play, the +1 shouldn't matter as much.

Likewise, I view the pitch advantage of ESG as secondary, as I am going to mull to hate vs. a combo deck. Overall, the benefit of Lotus Petal producing white outweighs ESG's ability to be pitched to Fauna Shaman or act as a 2/2 beater or be casted without paying +1 while Thalia is in play. When you play vs. combo, you look at your starting 7 and you decide if you can drop a hatebear by turn 2, either through natural land drops or acceleration into GSZ. If you happen to have or draw a Fauna Shaman and you happen to draw an ESG (I'm assuming if it was in your opening hand, you used it), than that's a secondary concern vs. a combo deck. Fauna Shaman is usually a 3 drop (assuming you dropped your hatebear turn 2) and active turn 4.

However...

Quote Originally Posted by pocari79 View Post
    On the sideboard, I wanted to try the spirit guides because a lot of time when you play against combo and they're on the play, they can just kill you before you get your turn two so I wanted to try to land a thorn or Thalia on turn 1. I probably should have done 3 Path and 4 Spirit Guides.

Was pretty displeased with the spirit guides all day. I never got any in opening hand that actually mattered. Like I would get 2 with no hate cards or I would have hate cards but no spirit guides. They're definately coming out. Maybe I just felt like I got too unlucky but if the format's going to be like this i don't think maverick's the right choice unless you get lucky on your matchups. Perhaps it would be best to max out on thorns and Thalias in order to fight combo properly. Also, I wish I had a couple of Cavern of Souls in the main deck so my Thalias wouldn't be countered against the combo decks. It was a frustrating day to say the least.
    I would run Mindbreak Trap above both of ESG and Lotus Petal.
    Last edited by Water_Wizard; 06-12-2012 at 06:35 AM.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Exactly because they produce W. Because the stated reason for running mana acceleration was to play a Turn 1 Thalia, Lotus Petal allows us to keep a wider variety of starters than ESG. You can keep Karakas, Plains, or Wasteland.

Because Lotus Petal is for early acceleration, once Thalia is in play, the +1 shouldn't matter as much.

However...

ESG fills a much larger role than Petal considering overall practicality despite the one factor Petal has going for it with all color mana. 12+ White sources at least in Maverick. Petal would only really be a standout if Teeg is played in 3 or 4's. Small increase for such greater disadvantages later. In this deck white is down to 5/6? cards that are relevant against combo and the drawback of ripping ESG off the top is almost none in contrast to the Petal that cannot swing or carry equipment or allow acceleration under Spheres.

Mindbreak Trap is fine against Storm, But not sure Storm is going to be such a presence that would require 4 in the board which at some point it is probably better to play E. Tutor bullets because they can't discard your bear/ball via E. Tutor if on the play.

SnT and Reanimator do not even trigger Mindbreak Trap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Exactly because they produce W. Because the stated reason for running mana acceleration was to play a Turn 1 Thalia, Lotus Petal allows us to keep a wider variety of starters than ESG. You can keep Karakas, Plains, or Wasteland.

However...

ESG fills a much larger role than Petal considering overall practicality despite the one factor Petal has going for it with all color mana. 12+ White sources at least in Maverick. Petal would only really be a standout if Teeg is played in 3 or 4's. Small increase for such greater disadvantages later. In this deck white is down to 5/6? cards that are relevant against combo and the drawback of ripping ESG off the top is almost none in contrast to the Petal that cannot swing or carry equipment or allow acceleration under Spheres.

Mindbreak Trap is fine against Storm, But not sure Storm is going to be such a presence that would require 4 in the board which at some point it is probably better to play E. Tutor bullets because they can't discard your bear/ball via E. Tutor if on the play.

SnT and Reanimator do not even trigger Mindbreak Trap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Hello guys !

Below is the list I am thinking to take for GP Ghent, here in Europe. It's 4 colors Maverick build, that i am pretty sure most of You don't like, because of the fragile mana base . Also I see that the Punishing version of the deck is not popular right now. But anyway, with this weak mana base open to Wastelands, Price of Progress, Back to basics, blood moon and such I still think this list have a descent match up versus most of the top tiers deck right now - RUG , Show and Tell and Reanimator.

With punishing fires along with the typical 4 swords the RUG match become much more easy. Yes, we loose Thalia and Shaman, but I feel, that many tier 2 matches becomes positive, like combo elves, Affinity, Goblins.

I cannot say that the Show and Tell match is positive, but in my opinion it’s at least 45 – 50 % for us and not below this. The deck have some good card versus them - Pithing Needle for Sneak Attack, Phyrexian Metamorph, 2 red blasts. And all of those together with main deck Knights and Karakas. The 3 Spell Pierce could come game two also.

Thrun, the Last Troll is in the SB mainly for the RUG match. Most of the times when he hits play along with some kind of Equipment it’s game over.

Of course the deck is wide open to non basics hate, this come mainly from Burn decks. Yes, Sneak and Show sometimes play Blood Moon, that could be a huge problem. But, lets hope we have a mana dork in play at that time.

Artifacts

1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

Creatures

1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Noble Hierarch
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Eternal Witness
    3 Stoneforge Mystic

Instants

3 Punishing Fire
    4 Swords to Plowshares

Legendary Artifacts
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Legendary Creatures
    1 Gaddock Teeg

Sorceries
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

Enchantment

1 Sylvan Library

Basic Lands
    1 Forest

Lands
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Misty Rainforest
    3 Savannah
    2 Taiga
    2 Tropical Island
    3 Wasteland
    3 Windswept Heath
    2 Wooded Foothills

Land Creatures
    1 Dryad Arbor

Legendary Lands
    1 Karakas

Sideboard:
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Bojuka Bog
    3 Spell pierce
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Stony Silence
    1 Rhox War Monk

All kind of comments are welcome !

Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Honorik View Post
    Hello guys !
    Sideboard:
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Bojuka Bog
    3 Spell pierce
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Stony Silence
    1 Rhox War Monk

All kind of comments are welcome !
    Why you are playing Spell Pierce over Flusterstorm?
    Surely P. Fire allow you to have a better MU vs Canadian, but your poor mana base don't make you easy wasted/screwed by their Wastelands and Stifle?

Thread Information