Page 349 of 428 FirstFirst ... 249299339345346347348349350351352353359399 ... LastLast
Results 6,961 to 6,980 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by jwl3gg View Post
    How's Maverick in the current meta? I'm thinking starting to build it.
    I've been having a rough time with Miracles. Rarely get Teeg and Mom out at the same time.

Knights can get bigger than Eldrazi real fast, so that helps. Scavenging Ooze can also likely grow to TKS size depending on how far into the same you are. Keeping lots of two drops in also helps with Chalice on 1.

Combo matchups can be okay if you are able to survive to turn 2 at least. I played a 5 round tourney today and my losses were to Miracles, Mono Red Sneak Attack (turn 1 Blood Moon is bad), and BR Reanimator (turn 1 getting two fatties on board is also bad). I was able to beat infect (Zealous Persecution = MVP!) and an Eldrazi player who never got a nut draw, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by RobNC View Post
    I've been having a rough time with Miracles. Rarely get Teeg and Mom out at the same time.

Knights can get bigger than Eldrazi real fast, so that helps. Scavenging Ooze can also likely grow to TKS size depending on how far into the same you are. Keeping lots of two drops in also helps with Chalice on 1.

Combo matchups can be okay if you are able to survive to turn 2 at least. I played a 5 round tourney today and my losses were to Miracles, Mono Red Sneak Attack (turn 1 Blood Moon is bad), and BR Reanimator (turn 1 getting two fatties on board is also bad). I was able to beat infect (Zealous Persecution = MVP!) and an Eldrazi player who never got a nut draw, thankfully.
    I'm currently running RB Reanimator, but not a fan of combo. When I first got into magic, saw Maverick being and have been interested in it since.

Nov 2010
    Lisbon, Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by RobNC View Post

Did you try Sanctum Prelate against Miracles? Also, Wasteland makes Eldrazi life quite hard.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

I doubled up on Teeg instead of 1 Teeg 1 Prelate, as Teeg seemed more versatile against an unknown meta and can be fetched with GSZ. I love Prelate in D&T though.

I went 2-3 in a 5 rounder last night, now that I'm more awake here's a mini report:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Scryb Ranger
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Sylvan Library

1 Abrupt Decay
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares

1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

1 Bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    2 Plains
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath

//Sideboard
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Elspeth, Knight Errant
    2 Surgical Extraction
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Zealous Persecution
    1 Batterskull

R1: Mono Red Sneak Attack (Loss. 0-1)
    G1: I survived an early Emrakul at 4 life, got down to 2 (I think fetched), and wasn't able to apply enough pressure before he sneaked in an Inferno Titan for 3 to the face. Chalice on 1 slowed me down a lot.
    G2: I mulled to 6. He dropped an early Blood Moon and early Chalice on 1 but I had been fetching basics so I was still able to apply pressure. Damage came in chunks of 4 thanks to Knight.
    G3: T1 Blood Moon killed me. I had an excellent hand that would've won me the game had I been able to fetch a forest but I didn't even get that chance. I lost with 7 or 8 "mountains" and SOFI on the board and nothing else. Sigh.

R2: Infect (Win. 1-1)
    G1: He drops T1 Glistener Elf, I drop DRS and start chipping away with other creatures as I drop them. He tries to Daze a Thalia but I pay the 1 with Deathrite activation. He doesn't even bother to attack with his Elf because it's the only infect creature and he scoops at 3 life. I had a STP in my hand the whole game that I was saving for Blighted Agent but I never saw it.
    G2: He drops T1 Noble Hierarch, I drop Plains (or a white dual). He drops Blighted Agent T2 and I plow it with thankfully no response. He spends a few turns durdling while I develop my board and manages to get 2x Noble, Elf, and 2x Inkmoth. He activates one Inkmoth with the second and I respond by Wastelanding it so he can't protect with Vines. My next turn I top deck Zealous Persecution and he manages to save Elf with Invigorate but loses Nobles. I continue to beat down and win with only 4 poison. While this guy seemed to be playing very conservatively I still feel very good about the infect matchup as long as you can make it to turn 2.

R3: Miracles (Loss. 1-2)
    G1: T3 Terminus, losing Mom and Knight. My Teeg gets instantly plowed. T4 Jace, T5 Entreat. I cannot recover.
    G2: I get to stick Thalia T2, Knight T3, start beating him down. My turn 4 he miracles Terminus during combat, and I try to follow up with Elspeth which he gets with his 1-of Counterspell! After a few turns he manages to Entreat for 5 on my turn and I'm dead on the swing back. Had Elspeth stuck this would've been a very different game.

R4: Eldrazi with Oblivion Sowers (Win. 2-2)
    G1: He mulls to 5 and doesn't apply much pressure. TKS on turn 3 or 4 isn't very bad for me because I have such a board presence. He gets Jitte onto TKS but doesn't do anything with it because I have SOFI on Thalia. After he drops Oblivion Sower (and whiffs!) I finish him off with DRS activations.
    G2: He does serious damage to himself with Ancient Tomb but gets a big board fast and I scoop, as there's no way I can keep up.
    G3: This game had a lot of board stalls, and I ended up staring down multiple TKS, Oblivion Sower, and Endbringer, but I have two 7 power Knights and a Batterskull (which I attack into a TKS to gain 4 life and draw a card). Endbringer chips away at me, and after a big attack he gets me down to 1 life. I have the Batterskull on one of the Knights (which Endbringer is preventing from attacking or blocking) and on my turn top deck Elspeth! I give the other night +3/+3 and flying, so I get to either gain a ton of life or kill him by flying over regardless of which Endbringer prevents from attacking. Lucky top deck for sure because nothing else would've gotten me the win there (he was at 6 with more creatures than me).

R5: RB Reanimator (Loss. 2-3)
    G1: I drop a land, then he combos off with Griselbrand and mana still available. I scoop, and he says "oh, I was about to reanimate Chancellor too!"
    G2: I fetch T1 Forest, he T1 Blood Moons, I T2 top deck a plains (lucky again!) and am able to cast all my stuff. I get Jitte on Knight and keep attacking and pumping. I get him down to 2 life with Jitte equipped Knight, Scryb Ranger, and DRS. DRS eats a land for black manage, Scryb allows it to untap, and I eat the Ancient Grudge that killed Jitte for the last 2. I had Surgical in my opener but never used it.
    G3: I manage to get him down to 5 life while I'm still at 20. He gets Griselbrand into play, I plow and he draws 7 in response. Then starts to combo off to get Elesh Norn and I scoop because I have nothing else.

Overall it was a fun day. There was another guy playing Maverick and he got into the top 8 in 5th place, although my buddy with Mono Red Sneak Attack ended up splitting the finals with Burn. I unfortunately never got to use Garruk :(

The meta was weird, aside from 3 Miracles (at least two of them were playing Moat) and 1 Shardless there were no other blue decks, and the MRSA and BR Reanimator were the only combo in the room.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Giga Bytes quarterly for a Mox Jet I ran the table in the Swiss and went 6-0-1 with ID as top seed in top 8 then punted around and lost to miracles in top 8 because I'm an ape. Might post more detail later on it. It was fun though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I got 9th on tie breakers at the scg classic. Stinks but no complaints about the deck. http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=109533
    Thanks to your suggestion I moved 2 decays main. I haven't looked back. Didn't side them out once in the classic.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Yeah my match ups were 2X Eldrazi, 1 BUG Delver, 1 Death and Taxes, 1 Patriot Stoneblade, and 1 Deadguy Ale. So decay is pretty much awesome to have with swords too. Was nice against miracles in top 8 too but I played likedlike shit and got punished for it.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

@drunken
    Like your list a lot. One question though: id the bojuka bog main really worth it. Seems you free some space in sb by eschewing GY hate

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Maybe it's just my meta, but I can't imagine playing less than 2 Pridemage. I'm on 3 main now.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoleptik View Post
    @drunken
    Like your list a lot. One question though: id the bojuka bog main really worth it. Seems you free some space in sb by eschewing GY hate
    Just preference, it gives you a win usually once a tournament. I prefer being consistent and running the 2nd basic forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Maybe it's just my meta, but I can't imagine playing less than 2 Pridemage. I'm on 3 main now.
    We are running 2 decay main, so this makes it okay. Something had to be cut and it was pridemage and the flex spot, usually for us is Garruk/2nd library.

I haven't played magic in about 3 years and I picked this deck back up. I started with deadguy ale so my list isn't quite 100% Maverick yet but it's more so than deadguy ale at this point. I usually play GW but deathritr is loads less expensive than noble hierarch lol. I beat miracles for the first time last night 2-0. I was looking through some of these lists and I seem to be the only person playing Titania. Any reason why she is excluded? Also what is the game plan vs this eldrazi deck I keep seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Yeah my match ups were 2X Eldrazi, 1 BUG Delver, 1 Death and Taxes, 1 Patriot Stoneblade, and 1 Deadguy Ale. So decay is pretty much awesome to have with swords too. Was nice against miracles in top 8 too but I played likedlike shit and got punished for it.
    Besides you and the Miracles player, what other decks were in the Top 8?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by NeckBird View Post
    Besides you and the Miracles player, what other decks were in the Top 8?
    Me, Miracles, Eldrazi, Shardless, Goblins, Death and Taxes, I think a lands deck and I can't remember the last one pretty diverse, but not much in the way of combo.

Quote Originally Posted by CRich3 View Post
    I haven't played magic in about 3 years and I picked this deck back up. I started with deadguy ale so my list isn't quite 100% Maverick yet but it's more so than deadguy ale at this point. I usually play GW but deathritr is loads less expensive than noble hierarch lol. I beat miracles for the first time last night 2-0. I was looking through some of these lists and I seem to be the only person playing Titania. Any reason why she is excluded? Also what is the game plan vs this eldrazi deck I keep seeing?
    i personally don't play a big threat because I want my deck to be as consistent as possible. I like to keep the curve low. Eldrazi is a favorable matchup. The plan is to wasteland as much as possible, kill their threats and win with big knights.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by NEELEY View Post
    i personally don't play a big threat because I want my deck to be as consistent as possible. I like to keep the curve low. Eldrazi is a favorable matchup. The plan is to wasteland as much as possible, kill their threats and win with big knights.
    Quick response here, but I completely agree. I used to play Sigarda and have cut her. And yes. I pretty much wasteland at this point at any chance I get, especially after losing the other day because I didn't activate Knight to get wasteland when he had 6 mana because I was liek fuck it. Whats the worst that can happen? I always forget All is Dust is a thing. Scooze and Knight are the kings of this game for me generally. New Thalia is also really good.

Also posted a tourney report if anyone is interested.

Did some of you guys test Tireless Tracker? Seems pretty good on paper with knight. Too fancy?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Haven't tried him in the dark version yet, but he was pretty sweet when I was splashing red. Can't imagine much being different. Even without Knight he was sweet just as a single threat that grows while you draw cards, and he is great with Cradle to draw many cards. I think unfortunately for him, new Thalia got printed soon after people began adopting him

Thanks for your 2 cents Megadeus, will try it over Sigarda on first occasion. Would definitively enjoy your tourney report, where can Infind it?

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Here is my sideboard guide[...]
    Sideboard
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Choke
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Pithing Needle

Miracles:
    IN: 2 Abrupt Decay, 2 Choke, 1 Gaddock Teeg, 1 Garruk Relentless, 1 Reclamation Sage, 1 Pithing Needle
    OUT: 4 Swords to Plowshares, 1 Deathrite Shaman, 1 Noble Hierarch, 1 Knight of the Reliquary, 1 Wasteland

Grixis:
    IN: 1 Choke, 2 Abrupt Decay, 2 Zealous Persecution
    OUT: 2 Sylvan Library (Too Slow), 1 Gaddock Teeg, 1 Qasali Pridemage

Eldrazi:
    IN: 2 Abrupt Decay, 1 Reclamation Sage, 1 Pithing Needle
    OUT: 2 Mother of Runes, 2 Sylvan Library (Too Slow)

Storm:
    IN: 2 Ethersworn Canonist, 3 Thoughtseize, 1 Gaddock Teeg, 2 Zealous Persecution
    OUT: 4 Swords to Plowshares, 2 Sylvan Library, 1 Stoneforge Mystic, 1 Knight of the Reliquary

Sneak Attack:
    IN: 3 Thoughtseize, 2 Ethersworn Canonist (If see Omniscience, most I run into these days have it), 1 Gaddock Teeg, 1 Reclamation Sage, 1 Pithing Needle
    OUT: 4 Swords to Plowshares, 1 Scavenging Ooze, 2 Sylvan Library, 1 Umezawa's Jitte

Death and Taxes:
    IN: 2 Abrupt Decay, 2 Zealous Persecution, 1 Reclamation Sage, 1 Pithing Needle
    OUT: 1 Gaddock Teeg, 4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, 1 Sylvan Library

Shardless BUG:
    IN: 2 Abrupt Decay, 1 Pithing Needle
    OUT: 1 Gaddock Teeg, 1 Noble Hierarch, 1 Sylvan Library

Elves:
    IN: 2 Ethersworn Canonist, 2 Zealous Persecution, 2 Abrupt Decay, 1 Pithing Needle, 1 Gaddock Teeg
    OUT: 1 Deathrite Shaman, 2 Sylvan Library, 1 Sword of Light and Shadow, 1 Mother of Runes, 2 Qasali Pridemage, 1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

Let me know if you have questions about other decks, these are the ones I usually face.
    I'm new to the deck and I'm reading this, trying to extract the rationale behind this decisions. If someone could tell me which of my thoughts are correct, and if I'm interpreting things correctly... that would help a lot :)

Miracles: out 4 swords. Miracles now runs monastery mentor, and I don't think that leaving mentor in the battlefield leads to any winning game for us. On the other hand, we're the beatdown and leaving swords after sideboarding is like adding cards to answer control's win conditions, which is magic 101 of things that you shouldn't do.

Eldrazi: How does eldrazi sideboard against us? I'm seeing ratchet bomb and jitte in their sideboard, but I don't know if they include anything else. I was wondering what were our abrupt decay targets, and I'm guessing that chalice, trinisphere and endless one + other sideboard cards are enough. On a side note, I'm not sure how good thalia, guardian of thraben is in this matchup. They don't have lots of noncreatures (chalice is faster than thalia), but I guess that it slows down all is dust. New thalia is really good against eldrazi right? reality smasher virtually loses haste and you slow down their mana development.

Sneak and show: I don't understand siding out swords to plowshares. It doesn't kill emrakul, but it's our only way of killing griselbrand right? I play with new thalia, would I side her out here? I don't think so, but I want to ask nonetheless. Against sneak attack it prevents us from dying but it's pretty irrelevant against show and tell.

Death and taxes: Wouldn't garruk relentless come in handy? Against dnt we're the aggressive deck so garruk might be difficult to cast due to rishadan port, wasteland action and opposing thalias. I can't deny its utility nonetheless. I'm also thinking that it might be difficult to keep him alive due to flickerwisp and mother of runes.

Shardless bug: Again, why no garruk? It's a midrange mirror, it should be useful, and shardless doesn't have a mana denial as hard as death and taxes.

Thread Information