Page 242 of 428 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243244245246252292342 ... LastLast
Results 4,821 to 4,840 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    what was the reason to pick up sphere of resistance instead of thorn of amethyst ?
    Sphere was here cause I wanted another card which could be usefull in the elves MU and vs Storm to. I would rather play another Gaddock or a lonely Mindbreak trap.

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

What's our plan vs the new Toxic Deluge? Seems like it would be a beating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    In France, there is also some habits to say hello to your baker when you buy some bread, with no penalty if I don't. However if I don't do it, my fame is damaged. that is the reason why I always say hello to my baker in France.

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by buloid View Post
    oh i missed another interaction.

Merieke Ri Berit destroys the creature it controls once you untap it. Meaning you can gain control of any creature by tapping it, using Quirion Ranger to untap Merieke, thus destroying the first creature. Then tap again to gain control of another creature, use Scryb Ranger to untap.

Or just wait til next turn when everything gets untapped by Murkfiend :p

And yes, Merieke can gain control of Emrakul.
    Hi,
    can it be that we played against each other at the Super Sunday Legacy event at GP Florence in 2010? I played Jund Aggro Loam and you were playing 5c Survival and I lost 2 times :-) First time in the finals of a Sideevent and second in the Mainevent Round 6...
    First I thought what kind of random shit but then got blasted by stasis and merieke

Looks strange but it is soooo teched!

For example: I had double crusher (7/7 8/8 or so) and he took control of both with Merieke and crushed me with that Cant remember anymore how exactly it worked but it worked.
    In a other game I had double crusher + Goyf in beatdown mode and he ruined my day with stasis + Quirion Ranger + Noble Hierarch
    I couldnt believe at the first moment that stasis were legacy legal because its soo powerful and nobody played it
    I take my hat of Mr. Survival! Only guy I lost to this weekend in legacy!

Greetings
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Maëlig View Post
    What's our plan vs the new Toxic Deluge?
    Die like a bitch since Teeg can't stop it - or pack Lifeforce in your sideboard.

Quote Originally Posted by oSeabass View Post
    -I have considered Master before in my 75, but I don't know if he really deserves a spot. I haven't tested with him enough.

-Sigarda in the main deck seems good against Show and Tell based decks, but how often do you have it in hand against the fast Show and Tells (turn 3 ish)? It not really feasible to rush it out with a GSZ of even hard cast it, because by the time you do Emrakul should have already attacked for the game and wipe the board. I don't know how I feel about the Sigarda main... it is 1 card to beat Show and Tell main deck, and you NEED to have it in hand for it to be relevant.

-Fire and Ice is solid, and I really like having it in the 75. It is my maindeck sword of choice for now to go along with Jitte. I opt to leave Batterskull in the board. In race matches where I am fighting down a hoard of tribal things, Jitte normally does the trick for cheaper and sometimes you can even drop it and play it the same turn you find it with a late game SFM. I have found the only real way to get Batterskull down is with SFM (who either eats removal, or the Batterskull gets Durressed out), or having a large board and Cradle.

-I know older lists ran Garruk as another removal spell in a pinch. Have you brought him in as removal (if so against what decks), or have you used him as a token machine (again, which decks)? I haven't played with him yet, so I am not sure of his place in the list.

-I really like the 3/2 split on Deathrites and Nobles. In a 3 color deck I feel 5 mana dorks is just right. A 4/1 split doesn't make sense, seeing as how the Exalted is a really nice bonus and Noble works on an empty graveyard or against decks not running fetches to fuel YOUR shaman (don't shrink Knight if we don't have to).
    -Master is a pretty big beating against Shardless BUG which was very popular both locally and nationally during the past few months. Even then I'd still consider it replaceable if a better SB option presents itself.

-I almost consider it's benefit against other midrange decks to be a much greater reason to have it in the MB. With 5 mana dorks and Cradle it's easy to have the mana required to fetch her via GSZ. Having a haymaker to GSZ for is very comforting for me at least.

-Depending on what I take out of the SB, I'm considering trying to put a SoFaI and Zealous Persecution in there to hedge a little against TNN. Also a 3rd Persecution obviously helps against Elves, mirror match, D&T, and even combo decks on the Empty plan.

-Like Master, Garruk is pretty good against midrange decks that feature cards like Baleful Strix, DRS, and Dark Confidant. Can't be made bolt-proof by mom but taking eating one of their vital creatures then them having to throw a bolt at it isn't the worst thing in the world.

-Yep, that's the exact reasoning I use anytime I'm thinking of switching up the 3/2 split now. No other configuration feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Master of the Wild Hunt is pretty great against BUG Shardless since they struggle to remove it. It's pretty shitty against anything running Bolts, though.

What's our plan to deal with True-Name Nemesis? SFM + SoFaI like the D&T guys are planning to do?
    Master doesn't seem too bad against Jund. Aren't most lists only running 2 bolts now?

As far as TNN goes, I'm thinking about putting Elspeth back in the MB which I took out after making the jump to the black splash. Also putting either a 3rd Zealous Persecution, 1 Engineered Plague, or 1 SoFaI in the SB. SoFaI is more reliable against TNN specifically due to SFM but the other 2 are better in different matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Die like a bitch since Teeg can't stop it - or pack Lifeforce in your sideboard.
    Now that is some sweet old school tech. Almost makes me want to go back to an enlightened tutor sideboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    In France, there is also some habits to say hello to your baker when you buy some bread, with no penalty if I don't. However if I don't do it, my fame is damaged. that is the reason why I always say hello to my baker in France.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

This is what I'm currently at for the GP in DC this coming weekend.
    Currently I'm debating if I want a fifth mana guy in the mainboard, if I want a fourth discard spell, and if I want to find space for a Zealous Persecution in the sideboard. I always expect to face a number of tribal decks at larger events (played against 3 goblins and fish last scg open), so between that and TNN I wouldn't mind finding the space. I actually wouldn't mind trying out an Engineered Plague in that slot either, maybe I'll try testing that at Legacy tomorrow evening.

2 Bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Plains
    3 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath

2 Noble Hierarch
    2 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    3 Mother of Runes
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Knight of the Reliquary

4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Sylvan Library

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Sideboard:

1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Thoughtseize
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Life from the Loam
    2 Choke
    2 Oblivion Ring
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow

I feel like maverick could win the gp
    Maverick for life

Does anyone continued testing with ESG?

I really gave good results, I never regretted to have her in hand ... what worries me now is the TNN, what answers we have in straight G / W??

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by haganbmj View Post
    This is what I'm currently at for the GP in DC this coming weekend.
    Currently I'm debating if I want a fifth mana guy in the mainboard, if I want a fourth discard spell, and if I want to find space for a Zealous Persecution in the sideboard. I always expect to face a number of tribal decks at larger events (played against 3 goblins and fish last scg open), so between that and TNN I wouldn't mind finding the space. I actually wouldn't mind trying out an Engineered Plague in that slot either, maybe I'll try testing that at Legacy tomorrow evening.

2 Bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Plains
    3 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath

2 Noble Hierarch
    2 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    3 Mother of Runes
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Knight of the Reliquary

4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Sylvan Library

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Sideboard:

1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Thoughtseize
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Life from the Loam
    2 Choke
    2 Oblivion Ring
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    My dark maverick build is very close to yours. I would recommend cutting the abrupt decay and sword of light and shadow from your board for 2 zealous persecution. SoLaS is good against the same decks that Zealous is, and the 3rd abrupt decay might be overkill. That being said your deck looks solid, and of course you can do as you'd like.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    My dark maverick build is very close to yours. I would recommend cutting the abrupt decay and sword of light and shadow from your board for 2 zealous persecution. SoLaS is good against the same decks that Zealous is, and the 3rd abrupt decay might be overkill. That being said your deck looks solid, and of course you can do as you'd like.
    I could get behind cutting the Decay and the Sword - both seem like reasonable excludes once I have access to Persecution.
    I'm trying to figure out just how exactly my board shapes up in most of the common matchups, but I think running two Zealous Persecution is something I could get behind.

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    good luck!

your deck looks solid, very similar to a build i took in a tournament recently. i may have asked this before, but i'm just interested in your justification.. why 3 moms and 1 safekeeper instead of 4 moms?

did you consider Batterskull in the board? why or why not? is it because you don't have Gaeas cradle that you decided against it?

why no >4cc bombs such as Thrun, Sigarda or Master of the Wild Hunt?

i agree with zealous persecution. the tournament i joined still didn't have True Name legal in legacy, but the persecution did a lot of work against the mirror and esperblade.

and for the crop rotation, is it only vs rug that you'll board this in?

my thoughts for your consideration

-1 ooze main, -1 safekeeper main, +2 mirran crusader.
    +1 ooze board, -1 crop rotation

Thanks!

good luck!
    [...] but the persecution did a lot of work against the mirror and esperblade[...]
    And Elves. And D&T. And Grixi...
    Persecution is a must have right now, and an incentive to splash black by itself.

So this is basically what I'll be taking to the GP. Am I going too heavy on the 4+ drop haymakers? Thinking of cutting Garruk for a Sword of Fire and Ice since it seems like TNN is going to still be all over the place this weekend. Plus Garruk almost never truly shines unlike Sigarda vs Jund, jumping KOTR with Elspeth, or Master vs BUG. Besides that I'm very happy with my current list and feel confidant going into the weekend.

Creatures:
    3x Deathrite Shaman
    2x Noble Hierarch
    4x Mother of Runes
    1x Scryb Ranger
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    2x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Thalia
    4x Knight of the Reliquary
    1x Sigarda
    1x Dryad Arbor

Equip:
    1x Batterskull
    1x Jitte

Other:
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Abrupt Decay
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Lands:
    2x Savannah
    2x Bayou
    1x Scrubland
    4x Windswept Heath
    3x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Wasteland
    2x Horizon Canopy
    1x Plains
    1x Forest
    1x Karakas
    1x Cradle

Sideboard:
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    4x Thoughtseize
    1x Engineered Plague
    2x Zealous Persecution
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Sylvan Safekeeper
    1x Garruk Relentless
    1x Master of the Wild Hunt
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Scavenging Ooze

Quote Originally Posted by bumgun View Post
    So this is basically what I'll be taking to the GP. Am I going too heavy on the 4+ drop haymakers? Thinking of cutting Garruk for a Sword of Fire and Ice since it seems like TNN is going to still be all over the place this weekend. Plus Garruk almost never truly shines unlike Sigarda vs Jund, jumping KOTR with Elspeth, or Master vs BUG. Besides that I'm very happy with my current list and feel confidant going into the weekend.

Creatures:
    3x Deathrite Shaman
    2x Noble Hierarch
    4x Mother of Runes
    1x Scryb Ranger
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    2x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Thalia
    1x Sigarda
    1x Dryad Arbor

Equip:
    1x Batterskull
    1x Jitte

Other:
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Abrupt Decay
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    1x Sylvan Library

Lands:
    2x Savannah
    2x Bayou
    1x Scrubland
    4x Windswept Heath
    3x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Wasteland
    2x Horizon Canopy
    1x Plains
    1x Forest
    1x Karakas
    1x Cradle

Sideboard:
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    4x Thoughtseize
    1x Engineered Plague
    2x Zealous Persecution
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Sylvan Safekeeper
    1x Garruk Relentless
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Scavenging Ooze

This looks like a very different build from what you initially put, making the deck more top heavy. I hate to see the day when i draw 3-4 4cc guys in my opening hand x.x But i do understand where youre coming from based on the decks you are anticipating to face.

I suggest you take off Elspeth since you're not playing Mirran.
    Mainboard the SOFaI and put Batterskull in the Board. This is more of a meta call because of TNN, which is probably why you took off Maze of Ith too.

just my two cents, but your list looks solid nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by bumgun View Post

Creatures:
    3x Deathrite Shaman
    2x Noble Hierarch
    4x Mother of Runes
    1x Scryb Ranger
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    2x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Thalia
    1x Sigarda
    1x Dryad Arbor

Equip:
    1x Batterskull
    1x Jitte

Other:
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Abrupt Decay
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    1x Sylvan Library

Lands:
    2x Savannah
    2x Bayou
    1x Scrubland
    4x Windswept Heath
    3x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Wasteland
    2x Horizon Canopy
    1x Plains
    1x Forest
    1x Karakas
    1x Cradle

Sideboard:
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    4x Thoughtseize
    1x Engineered Plague
    2x Zealous Persecution
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Sylvan Safekeeper
    1x Garruk Relentless
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    My 2 cents on your list, which matches my tastes a lot:
    - I would switch the Abrupt Decay main for the pridemage in the board, as the equipments will be prevalent (on TNN) next weeks and being able to search for an answer is priceless. Decay is more usefull in a tempo metagame
    - Safekeeper is not impactfull enough to be a SB card. If you want to play it, put it in the main for a Mother
    - As I said previously, I will never attend a big tournament without Choke in my board. Same goes for O Ring, which is mandatory to have a chance vs S&T decks. Discard is not where you want to be in these MU, as the endless stream of cantrips on their side decrease a lot the efficiency of your Discard Spells.
    - What is your boarding plan vs Miracles? I would dedicate one/two SB sloat to improve the MU (in my SB i got two Pithing needles to shut down top/Jace)

Good luck for the GP

[...]I suggest you take off Elspeth since you're not playing Mirran. [...]
    I wouldn't do that as a huge flying Knight is great vs TNN. The best hope we have when facing TNN is to race it, as we have no MD way to remove it. Flying over and boosting the stats of your creature is a good way to do that.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

good luck!

your deck looks solid, very similar to a build i took in a tournament recently. i may have asked this before, but i'm just interested in your justification.. why 3 moms and 1 safekeeper instead of 4 moms?

did you consider Batterskull in the board? why or why not? is it because you don't have Gaeas cradle that you decided against it?

why no >4cc bombs such as Thrun, Sigarda or Master of the Wild Hunt?

i agree with zealous persecution. the tournament i joined still didn't have True Name legal in legacy, but the persecution did a lot of work against the mirror and esperblade.

and for the crop rotation, is it only vs rug that you'll board this in?

my thoughts for your consideration

-1 ooze main, -1 safekeeper main, +2 mirran crusader.
    +1 ooze board, -1 crop rotation

Thanks!
    I've been playing 3/1 for a while, but I played 4 Moms a few weeks ago, then switched back. I like having Safekeeper as a GSZ target because I find that I often just need a turn or two of protection to stabilize the board. Safekeeper has qasi-haste and is an efficient answer.

I used to run Batterskull mainboard actually - it's a bit worse without Cradle, but certainly manageable. Since I'm on 2 Stoneforge + Black Spells now I opted to drop it. There are plenty of situations where I've wanted to have a Batterskull available to tutor out, but at the moment I'm just not sure that I have the space for it now with the spell count in the deck.

As for Sigarda/Thrun/Master it boils down to not having Cradle in the deck. With deathrites I found my mana weaker as I don't have as many dedicated (and reliable) mana sources as I once did. I'd like to be running a Sigarda, it's certainly a very powerful card that can win matchups on its own, but I neither own a cradle nor do I think I'd be able to run Cradle without cutting back on a spell (probably a Thoughtseize) - there's no way I'd run Cradle over a land. Once I test a bit more with this list I'll probably pick up a Cradle at the LGS and brew with that.

At the moment I'm at 2 Persecution in the board.

Crop Rotation is outdated, and I've had it in far too long, but it's for Dredge, Reanimator, and Sneak/Show (marginal) predominately. It's the next card on the chopping block.

I certainly like Mirran Crusader main - the last time I played Junk I ran three and enjoyed smashing opponents with him. I'll have to see what I can do with the list to squeeze 'em in. I'm not a fan of running fewer Scavenging Oozes - I find him to be important against Goyf and Deathrite decks - and prefer to have the second to increase the changes of naturally drawing one.

The big thing I'm questioning right now is the number of Sylvan Libraries to run. Now that I have 2 Abrupt Decay in the main it's less difficult to find a removal spell, and I might want to cut the Library in order to run some more interesting threats such as Mirran Crusader.

Thanks for your ideas buloid.

Quote Originally Posted by haganbmj View Post
    I've been playing 3/1 for a while, but I played 4 Moms a few weeks ago, then switched back. I like having Safekeeper as a GSZ target because I find that I often just need a turn or two of protection to stabilize the board. Safekeeper has qasi-haste and is an efficient answer.

I used to run Batterskull mainboard actually - it's a bit worse without Cradle, but certainly manageable. Since I'm on 2 Stoneforge + Black Spells now I opted to drop it. There are plenty of situations where I've wanted to have a Batterskull available to tutor out, but at the moment I'm just not sure that I have the space for it now with the spell count in the deck.

As for Sigarda/Thrun/Master it boils down to not having Cradle in the deck. With deathrites I found my mana weaker as I don't have as many dedicated (and reliable) mana sources as I once did. I'd like to be running a Sigarda, it's certainly a very powerful card that can win matchups on its own, but I neither own a cradle nor do I think I'd be able to run Cradle without cutting back on a spell (probably a Thoughtseize) - there's no way I'd run Cradle over a land. Once I test a bit more with this list I'll probably pick up a Cradle at the LGS and brew with that.

At the moment I'm at 2 Persecution in the board.

Crop Rotation is outdated, and I've had it in far too long, but it's for Dredge, Reanimator, and Sneak/Show (marginal) predominately. It's the next card on the chopping block.

I certainly like Mirran Crusader main - the last time I played Junk I ran three and enjoyed smashing opponents with him. I'll have to see what I can do with the list to squeeze 'em in. I'm not a fan of running fewer Scavenging Oozes - I find him to be important against Goyf and Deathrite decks - and prefer to have the second to increase the changes of naturally drawing one.

The big thing I'm questioning right now is the number of Sylvan Libraries to run. Now that I have 2 Abrupt Decay in the main it's less difficult to find a removal spell, and I might want to cut the Library in order to run some more interesting threats such as Mirran Crusader.

Thanks for your ideas buloid.
    I still swear by 1 Sylvan, but i know of other players who have taken it out totally.

I still keep 1 in my deck at all times.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

5-2-1 drop at GP Washington DC. Lost to ANT and RUG Delver, drew against UWb Stoneblade w/ Truename. I'll post a short report later.
    Zealous Persecution was fine in the sideboard all day. Definitely liked my list and would play it again. [There were 3 times today when I wished I had Rogue's Passage in my deck - I might try to work that back in, or test out the Dark Depths plan as an alternate]

Loss to ANT was him t1 Ad Nauseum-ing into the win while I sat with Teegles and Thalia in hand. Game two he just had the nuts 4 rituals + led to beat my Thalia + Wasteland on his t3. Definitely think the matchup was fine and my keeps were fine.

Thread Information