Page 246 of 428 FirstFirst ... 146196236242243244245246247248249250256296346 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,920 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by haganbmj View Post
    For example, I didn't bring in Zealous Persecution against Bant. It only affects TNN and Noble Hierarch in his list.
    While true, Zealous Persecution allows you to profitably block his now 1/1 Geist, etc with your presumably bigger dudes. And the fact that you can just blow him out with Zealous Persecution on his Hierarch x 2 and TNN x 1 is just insane.
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    While true, Zealous Persecution allows you to profitably block his now 1/1 Geist, etc with your presumably bigger dudes. And the fact that you can just blow him out with Zealous Persecution on his Hierarch x 2 and TNN x 1 is just insane.
    Sure, there are situations where it is very useful. My primary point though was that his deck was set up to have draws that ignore Zealous Persecution, and it felt like I would only be bringing it to answer one threat (TNN). I'd like to find an option that's a bit more versatile so that I can bring it in as a general answer that happens to hit TNN, but also has play in other match scenarios.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

Question to the maverick gurus...

Does the rise of true name nemesis mean that maverick is back due to its ability to destroy fair decks?

The pure GW mana base with 3-4 Thalia's punishes the tempo decks that have popped up and maverick does a great job of smashing control as well. Show and tell will be pushed back by the tempo decks and maverick will swoop in on the tempo decks!

2. Are you happy to match up against death and taxes? The decks are so similar....
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post

Does the rise of true name nemesis mean that maverick is back due to its ability to destroy fair decks?

The pure GW mana base with 3-4 Thalia's punishes the tempo decks that have popped up and maverick does a great job of smashing control as well. Show and tell will be pushed back by the tempo decks and maverick will swoop in on the tempo decks!

2. Are you happy to match up against death and taxes? The decks are so similar....
    I've playtested quite a lot against stoneblade w/ nemesis. I play GW maverick with the depths/stage combo, with mindcensors, hierarchs etc. This matchup is close, but I think it's to our favor.

True name nemesis is very raceable, especially with the depths combo. You also have mindcensors, elspeth, mom and scryb ranger. Just make sure to destroy Jitte or Batterskull before they equip it to him, because at that point its over.

Choke is a BEATING. The guy played nemesis on turn 3, tapping island island and underground sea I believe, passed the turn and I slammed choke. GG

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

TNN certainly pushed out BUG Shardless out of the meta and there's also a decline Jund which also benefits us.

I'm still suprised that Maverick does still perform in the current meta, though. Is the DD combo really the key to the recent success?

Dec 2013
    Seattle, WA

Relatively new here, but I've been lurking for a while. A friend and I took the same 75 to a 1k; he finished in the top 8, so I wanted to share the list since it's been successful.

22 LANDS
    4 Wasteland
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Forest
    1 Karakas
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    1 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    1 Thespian's Stage

19 CREATURES
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze

19 OTHER SPELLS
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Vindicate

SIDEBOARD
    2 Duress
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

We opted to run a much more disruptive maindeck and cut a lot of the awkward late-game draws like Mother of Runes. The basic plan was to always have a must-answer turn 2 play, often facilitated on the back of Deathrite Shaman or Dryad Arbor: Knight of the Reliquary, Wasteland + 2 drop, or 1 mana disruptor (TS, Swords) + 2 drop. Dark Confidant and Stoneforge Mystic keep the good cards flowing and grind your opponents into the dirt. Knight of the Reliquary is a double-faced threat: beat them the old-fashioned way or set up Thespian Depths for a kill. The removal is all efficient, powerful, and flexible. The sideboard choices are plentiful, but we tailored to expecting combo (being in the Midwest U.S.) and True-Name Nemesis.

We're open to suggestions, of course, but we are pretty much sold on the maindeck at this point, despite how greedy the manabase is. Most of the work now is tuning the sideboard. Some of our losses (Affinity, Elves) would've benefited from a wrath effect of some kind, which makes me lean toward Pernicious Deed and/or Engineered Explosives.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

DaGarver- you should take that lust over to the rock thread as they have been working on similar lists. At the point you are at: no mom and no heirarch mean you have crossed into junk territory and not just GWb maverick.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

What would you guys say are the correct colors? Straight GW, punishing, or junk?

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Played Dark Maverick in the SCG open in Las Vegas yesterday.

Won against: High Tide, Grixis Delver, U/B Tezz, Esper True-Blade.

Lost against: Elves, Merfolk, Punishing Jund, Rug Delver, and Bant True-Blade.

All in all, I really wish I had gone into this tournament with Punishing Fire rather than Thalia (at least in my maindeck).

As you guys can see from the results of the invi and the open, Jund had a really good weekend, and when Jund is doing well punishing fires are usually warranted. I would also definitely rock a sword of fire ice right now as part of the stoneforge package if you weren't already.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

New maverick question: heirarch or deathrite shaman?

Deathrite shaman all the way. Not only is drs a mana dork, it's also used as a mb hate against graveyard based decks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by IL_casual View Post
    Deathrite shaman all the way. Not only is drs a mana dork, it's also used as a mb hate against graveyard based decks.

Anyone else?

I have been testing an aggressive GW list with 3 mind censors and 4 pridemages and wrecking all of these stoneforge decks running around...

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

If you are on straight GW, Hierarch seems better for more big men, if on black splash or even the 4 color version, DRS is probably best
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Thanks, I am spending the evening reading all of the Maverick threads…. I think I'm finishing it soon.

Thanks, I am spending the evening reading all of the Maverick threads…. I think I'm finishing it soon.
    Interesting list. Mind if you post it? 4 Pridemages and Mindcensors surely do fit the stoneblade meta, but leaning towards pure GW.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by buloid View Post
    Interesting list. Mind if you post it? 4 Pridemages and Mindcensors surely do fit the stoneblade meta, but leaning towards pure GW.
    4 Pridemages seem excessive, even in a Stoneblade meta. You still have GSZ for that.

If you run the black splash, I would rather have some Abrupt Decays in the mix.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    4 Pridemages seem excessive, even in a Stoneblade meta. You still have GSZ for that.

If you run the black splash, I would rather have some Abrupt Decays in the mix.
    It seems excessive, but these days you cannot let yourself get hit by an equipment once. Added to the fact that my list currently has 8 exalted creatures; the aven mind censor I flashed in in response to your [insert library search] or EOT now is hitting for 4-6 instead of just 2… The ground war in maverick has a tendency to bog down without mother of ruins so being able to lend some additional power to the air(or just attacking as a 3/3+) really helps.

That being said, the ext card I am looking at is fauna shaman…

Wouldn't mirran crusader be generally better than aven mindcensor in a list with 8 exalt creatures?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    In France, there is also some habits to say hello to your baker when you buy some bread, with no penalty if I don't. However if I don't do it, my fame is damaged. that is the reason why I always say hello to my baker in France.

Quote Originally Posted by Maëlig View Post
    Wouldn't mirran crusader be generally better than aven mindcensor in a list with 8 exalt creatures?
    Vs stoneblade decks, aven mindcensors ability is more useful.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Maëlig View Post
    Mind censor flies!! This is especially important with a true name clogging the ground.

I am also brewing with fauna shaman again...
    Last edited by lavafrogg; 12-19-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Thread Information