Page 308 of 428 FirstFirst ... 208258298304305306307308309310311312318358408 ... LastLast
Results 6,141 to 6,160 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

jtw11632 on MTGO

Aug 2013

Re: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Maverick seems it will be good again post DTT ban. I have always felt in every game I have played until the resolved a dig. Without dig I think the deck just sticks to it's roots. Disrupt and pressure .

Also fwiw I have found L&S to be preferable because I aggressively use library as draw and never felt the need for F&I.
    The only problem is Miracles. Abrupt Decay and DRS made Maverick rougher to play since KotR shrinks more often, and very effective 2 mana removal for ANYTHING in our deck not just creatures was very strong. I think what "killed" us originally was Terminus. Counter/Top locks are what they are, but having an instant speed 1 mana "board wipe" that is resistant to discard by floating the Terminus with Top/Brainstorm makes it very tricky.

I have started liking Cavern more and more, and if Miracles comes back in force then I might go up to a 3rd Cavern (maybe in the board over one graveyard hate piece since we have Bojuka Bog).

Random thought, but has anyone considered Codex Shredder of Ghoulcaller's Bell like in Modern? I don't think it is very powerful but the thought is still relevant, control the draws of the opponent. With Maverick we can lock down using Wasteland and Loam to recur Wastelands, and things like Pridemage to blow away troubling permanents. The only problem is that Miracles has so much play with 3 cards being topped, that it would take a lot of work to mill those cards. Maybe Bell and Shredder are not the answer (I highly doubt they are cus they seem super bad in Legacy) but the thought might be relevant. I'll be looking into creatures that mill ETB or something else to maybe handle that issue a little more.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

Teeg?!??!??

I have fat fingers and I am posting from my iPhone.
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Is answered fairly easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

jtw11632 on MTGO

Aug 2013

Teeg?!??!??
    Gaddock Masta is good and all but we really only have 2 post board (3 if you are a bit crazy). In that matchup we need would need to get him down ASAP to stop Jace TMS, etc. from ruining the day. Having GSZ helps since it gives a virtual 6 on turn 2 (with a mana dork). If they have the Force, I feel like the only way is to find the Teeg and have a Cavern on one of his types (which nothing else in the deck is) which makes me sad. He seems like a very big trump in the Miracles match but they still have quite a bit of play on 1-3 to make me worry.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by oSeabass View Post
    Gaddock Masta is good and all but we really only have 2 post board (3 if you are a bit crazy). In that matchup we need would need to get him down ASAP to stop Jace TMS, etc. from ruining the day. Having GSZ helps since it gives a virtual 6 on turn 2 (with a mana dork). If they have the Force, I feel like the only way is to find the Teeg and have a Cavern on one of his types (which nothing else in the deck is) which makes me sad. He seems like a very big trump in the Miracles match but they still have quite a bit of play on 1-3 to make me worry.
    Sure, but you can also run trumps like Sylvan, Choke/Tsunami, Grip, and Needle in addition to Teeg. Recall that if you land Teeg, you have about 6 ways to protect him, and equipment goes a long way in this matchup. Game one can be miserable, Game 2 is often alright.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Maverick seems it will be good again post DTT ban. I have always felt in every game I have played until the resolved a dig. Without dig I think the deck just sticks to it's roots. Disrupt and pressure .

Also fwiw I have found L&S to be preferable because I aggressively use library as draw and never felt the need for F&I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most games for the past year have been "I win if I land Jitte or Fire/Ice". Rarely did I feel that way with any other equipment (a handful of blowout L/S wins against death and taxes/mirror).
    I think Maverick is just "okay" again. I've been down on the deck because of DTT. Post-DTT I think we'll see more tempo delver stuff mixed with 4C or 3C SFM/DRS concoctions more than anything.
    Storm will also come back hard, assuming Miracles doesn't remain at the top despite recent bans.

Has anyone tried Mirri's Guile over Sylvan Library? I don't think I use Sylvan Library draw ability often except against Miracles. But now that Miracles has Mentor, I don't think I will be using it in that match-up either. Mirri's Guile gives us an additional turn 1 play and a less clunky turn 2 play. I can turn 1 mom, turn 2 Mirri's Guile + DRS. Mirri's Guile can also let us see 4 cards deep with an active fetch land. I have been using it and have been fairly happy with it. I also like Sensei's Top over Sylan Library too because I can hide a useful spell like Abrupt Decay or Plow against discard, and use it at a moment's notice. Top also helps in the more grindy games with Knight out because we can spin top (3 cards deep), use Knight to fetch for a fetch land, spin top again (6 cards deep), crack fetch, spin top again (9 cards deep).

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

If you need that much dig, just play Brainstorm and Jace. The question is, what are you digging for?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Oh, I don't necessarily need that much dig. I just think having the option is nice. I am currently testing with two Mirri's Guile over Sylvan Library and am liking it because it is an additional first turn play between 4 DRS, 4 Mom, and 4 GSZ. Without Mirri's Guile, the chance of having a turn 1 play is 81% on play, 85% on draw. With 2 Mirri's Guile, that chance of having a turn 1 play is 86% on play, 90% on draw. This doesn't include Plow though. Mirri's Guile on Turn 1 can help me find a land if I kept a greedy hand. Mirri's Guile on Turn 2 is also good because that let's leave up mana for Plow or drop another 1 drop like DRS or Mom.

I like SDT against the really grindy decks when I am in a stalled board state. The deck is helps me the most I think is Miracles. With Teeg out, it helps me search for other potentially wanted tutor target (especially Pridemage) because my GSZ is shut off. Post board, it helps me dig for one of my 2 Krosan Grips and 4 Abrupt Decays against CB or SDT (with Grip). It just so happens that SDT just works really well due the amount of shuffle effects we have in our deck, especially with an active KotR out. While the extra digging is probably not needed, having the option is very nice.

Either ways, I have been happy with both Mirri's Guile and SDT over Sylvan Library ever since Mentor got printed.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

I have felt every game I win is somewhat based on drawing library. I play two MD library along with a courser and I am allowed to dig and dig without losing too much life while gaining all the advantage.

Soldier Stompy

jtw11632 on MTGO

Aug 2013

I have felt every game I win is somewhat based on drawing library. I play two MD library along with a courser and I am allowed to dig and dig without losing too much life while gaining all the advantage.
    Courser is a nice body since it survives a Lightning Bolt, and the life gain is handy. The only thing I am still deciding on is if I like the "opponent and you both can see your draw". When I can see a card coming up that changes my line of play, I am happy. When my opponent sees a card coming up and knows they are safe to do whatever, I am sad. Is the benefit of Courser to you the lifegain, the drawing lands off the top, the body at x/4, mana cost on curve, seeing the top card to make play changes? I haven't been wowed by it so far, just kinda let it work a little. I feel like as a 1 of I would maybe want to run another Teeg main, or a 4th Thalia, extra Qasali Pridemage, my 4th Noble (I run 3 Noble, 1 BoP), my 4th Mom (I run 3 Mom, 1 Sylvan Safekeeper).

I like the idea of being a toolbox green creature deck with access to GSZ, but sometimes you don't have a GSZ and are just forced to play value town mayor. If the mayor of value town is in a random game 1 matchup, what would he rather see: a 2/4 3 mana show everyone your next draw maybe gain some life, or another XYZ to be slightly annoying to your opponent.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

[Deck] GW/x Maverick

This is the last list I played. I was very happy with it

Soldier Stompy

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by oSeabass View Post
    Courser is a nice body since it survives a Lightning Bolt, and the life gain is handy. The only thing I am still deciding on is if I like the "opponent and you both can see your draw". When I can see a card coming up that changes my line of play, I am happy. When my opponent sees a card coming up and knows they are safe to do whatever, I am sad. Is the benefit of Courser to you the lifegain, the drawing lands off the top, the body at x/4, mana cost on curve, seeing the top card to make play changes? I haven't been wowed by it so far, just kinda let it work a little. I feel like as a 1 of I would maybe want to run another Teeg main, or a 4th Thalia, extra Qasali Pridemage, my 4th Noble (I run 3 Noble, 1 BoP), my 4th Mom (I run 3 Mom, 1 Sylvan Safekeeper).

I like the idea of being a toolbox green creature deck with access to GSZ, but sometimes you don't have a GSZ and are just forced to play value town mayor. If the mayor of value town is in a random game 1 matchup, what would he rather see: a 2/4 3 mana show everyone your next draw maybe gain some life, or another XYZ to be slightly annoying to your opponent.
    The purpose of Courser is card quality. Giving your opponents information about your next draw is typically irrelevant since this deck has no reactive spells, and you're going to Sorcery speed everything. Being able to play lands off the top instead of drawing them is a huge boost for mid-game.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    The purpose of Courser is card quality. Giving your opponents information about your next draw is typically irrelevant since this deck has no reactive spells, and you're going to Sorcery speed everything. Being able to play lands off the top instead of drawing them is a huge boost for mid-game.
    I don't suppose there's a list you're tinkering with? :D
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

While we're having this talk about Courser/Library/Guile/Top...

If you find you're not paying life for Sylvan Library all that often, L10, you're doing it wrong.

Well, it appears that way. Maybe I am not aggressive enough with it.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by L10 View Post
    Well, it appears that way. Maybe I am not aggressive enough with it.
    I mean, there's a fine line between being too idle and being too aggressive.

I see players wait extra turns to execute plans because they are too afraid to pay four life and I've seen players gun it with sixteen life over two turns just because they could. Both strategies fail miserably. Pace yourself, but don't be afraid to pay the life if you need to. Hell, the other day I paid four life two turns in a row just to keep myself theoretical-Daze-proof against RUG.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

My pace is dictated by whether I have a shuffle effect. If I peek and see 3 pieces of hot garbage and I have a way to clear it, I'll take the best card and maybe go deep next turn.
    -ktkenshinx-

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    I don't suppose there's a list you're tinkering with? :D
    Something along these lines: http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=13776&iddeck=101263
    A few things shift around like #s on Wasteland, Mother of Runes. QPM is at 2 now, there's a SoLS in the maindeck, Scryb Ranger has been eliminated (and unlikely to come back). DRS went to 4 during the Delve Days, but I think going back to NH/DRS split seems fine now.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    While we're having this talk about Courser/Library/Guile/Top...

If you find you're not paying life for Sylvan Library all that often, L10, you're doing it wrong.
    I have lost a ton of games due to being hesitant, I found my win % went up when I got more aggressive with my Library. I play 7 Removal spells so as long as they dont have reach I can control all the dudes and win with a Sigarda or Big Knight whenever the time comes.
    Soldier Stompy

Thread Information